[REMOVE ADS]

ALI OLLIE WOODSON - Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow

Ali-Ollie was one of the most talented male vocalists to ever record for Motown. Give a listen to what he does to this Shirelles classic:

That has to be the worst version of Will You Still Love Me Tomorrows that ive ever heard. Not good IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Ali-Ollie was one of the most talented male vocalists to ever record for Motown. Give a listen to what he does to this Shirelles classic:

I don't really care for his version of this but i do agree that this guy had a magnificent voice and i treasure his recordings with the Temps and his solo stuff too. "drama in the bedroom" is a particular favourite of mine. A great talent taken away far too soon.

Wow, I'm really surprised by those two comments! I like this version. It puts me in the mind set of how Luther Vandross might have approached the song. The musical arrangement is nice, but I could have used just a little bit less of the sax solos. I would have taken them out of the second and third verses, I think the focus should be on the the vocals during any verse. They sax is okay in the intro, the bridge and the vamp. The background vocal arrangement is very nice and also reminds me a little bit of Luther. That doesn't surprise me at all because I use to be Ollie's keyboard player, and I promise you, Ollie loved him some Luther!!

If I had to try to find anything negative to say about the song it would be that those high falsetto ad libs that Ollie does are very out dated. It would have been nice to hear him do something different, something newer and fresher with that range that he had. Other than that I think it's cool, a nice fresh new approach to a classic.

Quote Originally Posted by brothadc View Post
    Wow, I'm really surprised by those two comments! I like this version. It puts me in the mind set of how Luther Vandross might have approached the song. The musical arrangement is nice, but I could have used just a little bit less of the sax solos. I would have taken them out of the second and third verses, I think the focus should be on the the vocals during any verse. They sax is okay in the intro, the bridge and the vamp. The background vocal arrangement is very nice and also reminds me a little bit of Luther. That doesn't surprise me at all because I use to be Ollie's keyboard player, and I promise you, Ollie loved him some Luther!!

If I had to try to find anything negative to say about the song it would be that those high falsetto ad libs that Ollie does are very out dated. It would have been nice to hear him do something different, something newer and fresher with that range that he had. Other than that I think it's cool, a nice fresh new approach to a classic.
    A good summing up. I think Ollie would have been incapable of making a bad record, and i take on board what you say about the Luther connection. Will Downing was another very talented vocalist who approached old classics in a similar way to Luther and put a whole new slant on them. I was in no way criticising Ollie's vocals. I was similarly underwhelmed by Dionne Warwick's Luther produced version of this. I do like Carole King's version of it. She knew what to do with it having written the tune, but for me it has to be the Shirelles version all the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    A good summing up. I think Ollie would have been incapable of making a bad record, and i take on board what you say about the Luther connection. Will Downing was another very talented vocalist who approached old classics in a similar way to Luther and put a whole new slant on them. I was in no way criticising Ollie's vocals. I was similarly underwhelmed by Dionne Warwick's Luther produced version of this. I do like Carole King's version of it. She knew what to do with it having written the tune, but for me it has to be the Shirelles version all the way.

I agree as far as Carole King's version is concerned. However, this, to me, is definitive:

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    I agree as far as Carole King's version is concerned. However, this, to me, is definitive:
    I had totally forgotten about Roberta's version. How remiss of me. This is indeed a mighty fine version. Thank you for the the reminder sansradio,