[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: The Temptations

The Temptations

Not complaining, but i've noticed how much of the Temptations' early catalog is still available and at affordable prices and I wondered why this is not the case with other MOTOWN super acts like stevie Wonder, Marvin GAYE and those darned Supremes?COULD IT BE BECAUSE THE tEMPTS REALLY ARE EVERYONE'S FAVORITE SOUL OR MOTOWN ACT?

Kam, I really don't know but maybe because they are "Still Here" performing and releasing quality product. They consistently stay in the news and have several web pages and Otis is constantly interacting with fans on Face book. Their TV movie is in constant play on several cable channels and their touring schedule is phenomenal. They are icons and their music has transcended generations. The material contained in their early catalogs were best sellers and featured the Classic Five which many consider to be the best there ever was. Strangely enough its kind of ironic, there have been so many Temptations that [[ even Dennis and his group deserve a shout out) even though four of the Classic Five are gone and several other members of the group have passed away they continue to be one of the most popular acts today. Everybody has a favorite song and yes Otis & Dennis have tried to maintain the integrity of the Temptations after all these years. It's a weird and wonderful show biz story, kids from nowhere USA, failure, success, drugs, alcohol, death, failure, success.........

Maybe Universal has found that people will pay a premium for artists catalogs like Marvin Gaye and Stevie Wonder. Not only that, the Tempts have a lot of product out there.

The Supremes Lost and Found was a mere £5.99 just before Xmas...I bought an extra as it was so cheap!

But, you didn't get that through Hip O did you John!?

I think Universal uses every little gimmick in the book to market these groups; it's pretty much all profit to them if the product will sell.

Paladin is right; the Temptations is generally a popular brand and Otis has done everything he can to continue marketing it ~ more successfully and more diligently/aggressively/smartly than perhaps any other Motown brand.

topdiva1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by paladin View Post
    Kam, I really don't know but maybe because they are "Still Here" performing and releasing quality product. They consistently stay in the news and have several web pages and Otis is constantly interacting with fans on Face book. Their TV movie is in constant play on several cable channels and their touring schedule is phenomenal. They are icons and their music has transcended generations. The material contained in their early catalogs were best sellers and featured the Classic Five which many consider to be the best there ever was. Strangely enough its kind of ironic, there have been so many Temptations that [[ even Dennis and his group deserve a shout out) even though four of the Classic Five are gone and several other members of the group have passed away they continue to be one of the most popular acts today. Everybody has a favorite song and yes Otis & Dennis have tried to maintain the integrity of the Temptations after all these years. It's a weird and wonderful show biz story, kids from nowhere USA, failure, success, drugs, alcohol, death, failure, success.........

Great post - thanks

kam, i really don't know but maybe because they are "still here" performing and releasing quality product. They consistently stay in the news and have several web pages and otis is constantly interacting with fans on face book. Their tv movie is in constant play on several cable channels and their touring schedule is phenomenal. They are icons and their music has transcended generations. The material contained in their early catalogs were best sellers and featured the classic five which many consider to be the best there ever was. Strangely enough its kind of ironic, there have been so many temptations that [[ even dennis and his group deserve a shout out) even though four of the classic five are gone and several other members of the group have passed away they continue to be one of the most popular acts today. Everybody has a favorite song and yes otis & dennis have tried to maintain the integrity of the temptations after all these years. It's a weird and wonderful show biz story, kids from nowhere usa, failure, success, drugs, alcohol, death, failure, success.........
    paladin,you da man,i couldn't have said it better myself....temptin temptations[and otis and dennis]forever!!!

you made me laugh Kamasu.."those darned Supremes" I bet many a Motown act said the very same thing....

Where's that purported Temptations Vol.2 DVD we were promised? And while we're at it, we keep getting told that there are no unreleased tracks, only to have one or two in every cellarful of motown. Could we please, therefore have a Lost & Found Vol.2 as well, collecting the tracks that have only been released on the box set or ones such as Wherever I Lay My Hat. Fill it with alternate versions or demos or whatever. I'd buy it.

Count me in on that one too!

is it because the temptations were not only one of the 1st popular soul groups to be played on radio[[uk),but also kept reinventing themselves [[well,norman whitfield did)from get ready[[not norman) thru cloud nine thru just my imagination thru papa was a rolling stone to treat her like a lady and hundred's of quality tracks inbetween.another reason could be is they are just the best over the last 5 decades
    Last edited by tamla617; 01-29-2011 at 09:38 AM.

Just tick the image for mp3 audio

HAL I am truly truly scared.

Kamasu

No business keeps product on sale that nobody wants! And I wouldn't need a formal statement from Universal's Sales Team to tell me that product from the Temps, and say, Marvin Gaye, outsells most of the other Motown artists. However, when it comes to threads on SDF, that's completely different! HAHA

Remember all the 2 on 1s we were promised after Gladys Knight & The Pips. Maybe they didnt outsell the Temps, and that put paid to that.

honest man Guest
    Paulo which 2 on 1 were promised, i thought most of the big 60s acts had been released with 2 0n 1, would like to know what was in pipeline,may have missed something,would love the GKATP lost and found to be released as proposed. cheers.

I've got a clip of a 4 year old David Ruffin and 3 year old Paul Williams that reveals the origin of all things Temptation:
    The Temptation Walk
    The Temptation Roll
    David's Leads
    and Paul's choreography

The youngest asked for the spotlight effect...thus the bad lighting as I attempted hold the light and the cam to near disastrous effect.

They hadn't the heard the song that often....but were inspired by an infomercial that had been running at the time. And they were already hardcore Tempts fans.

Dam did I hear DaddyTempt crooning too...lol.......ok let me add this as evidence of why The Tempts are so popular. This song came out around the time I was in seventh grade and when I heard it on a tinny am transistor radio one morning on my way to school, I thought they were saying "Magic", later on when I was able to hear it in its entirety, it was profoundly magical. In fact I've never met anyone that didn't know this record.

Honest man
    the publicity blurb from Universal, at the time of the Gladys Knight/Pips 2 on 1 series, stated that this was just the start of a BIG campaign. Nothing happened, as we know. Paulo xxx

Dam did I hear DaddyTempt crooning too...lol.......ok let me add this as evidence of why The Tempts are so popular. This song came out around the time I was in seventh grade and when I heard it on a tinny am transistor radio one morning on my way to school, I thought they were saying "Magic", later on when I was able to hear it in its entirety, it was profoundly magical. In fact I've never met anyone that didn't know this record.
    Must've been the Ree Verb or the FlamingGer.

It's unpopular on a Soul Music Forum but I don't believe Gladys Knight and the Pips or Martha and the Vandellas or the Marvelettes or even the Four Tops sell enough to warrant a lot of reissues and special editions; the Temptations and Marvin Gaye sell more than the Supremes these days although from the numbers or reissues of Diana Ross product and from the comments from the former soulmusic.com people, one might think that product sold pretty well. The 70's Supremes product attracted fan attention but not a lot of sales and I question whether or not all the fans bought the product.

Otis has kept the Temptations brand out there with a little help from Dennis Edwards and other Temptations from time to time. No other Motown group was able to maintain such interest and continue working so consistently; the Top stayed together but the interest was not there; probably the Temptations Movie did a lot to stimulate and maintain the interest.

topdiva1 Guest
    The Temptations are music royalty and will never be forgotten.

Kdub,

Did you check out my rig in that vid.....I used to rock the block with my dual amp set up and 6 speakers.

Of course. spotlight not withstanding I was wondering what it was sounded great, Sansui ? Pioneer ? Musicraft ? What type of speakers, I used to rock a Pioneer/Sansui -Technics 1200's, Gemini mixer and Cerwin Vegas 15 inch ..................