[REMOVE ADS]

Page 97 of 134 FirstFirst ... 47 87 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 107 ... LastLast
Results 4,801 to 4,850 of 6654

Thread: Yo... Moe

And fresh off the press: Diontae Johnson gets sued for not showing up at a youth football camp. Johnson claims his flight was cancelled. Stay tuned on this one.

I'll keep my eye on Pickett. A couple of die-hards got laughed at on ESPN Radio's Bart & Hahn show just now for suggesting the Steelers are a dark horse candidate to play in the Super Bowl. The same talking heads would have hung up on Bengals fans for suggesting they were ready to take the leap last year, so who's to say the callers were wrong? Such disrespect.

Found a great article about Najee Harris on ESPN.com. It's too long to paste here, but here's the link:
    https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...burgh-steelers

That's a great article, Jerry, & thanks. A bunch of my friends went to Latrobe & were blown away by his size [[like the article says....his quads) but also how dedicated the guy is. And always walking over to the little kids to sign & talk. This is one guy whom, I think, will never forget where he came from. We need more like him.

Looks like a good weekend for rookies in their first games. CBS Sports gave high marks to Kenny Pickett, Sam Howell, Desmond Ridder and Skylar Thompson for their debuts for the Steelers, the Commanders, Falcons and Dolphins. Pickett has the best chance to start this season.

I think that the kid[dotson] will be a keeper, and none too soon because terry needs help.

Pickett did look good. But what's with Kendrick Greene on the OLine? Jag player went right past him without a touch. They picked up another OLineman today but know nothing about the guy. And Kevin Dotson, where are you? His ankle must still be a problem.

Looks like Steelers Twitter is in love with Pickett. I haven't watched Pittsburgh, but apparently he currently owns the highest preseason passer rating for a rookie in the past decade. Of course, that means very little, but it's impressive because so many rookie QBs have had a shot at that mark.

The commanders are finally retiring sonny jurgenson's[no.9] which should've been retired years ago, jurgenson is an nfl legend often called the greatest pure passer in league history, his career spaned 18 seasons the last 11 with washington, an honor long over due.

Good for them. When are they going to retire Billy Kilmer's number 17? Probably in 2050 or so.

How bout that, i know that all numbers can't be retired but some should be...larry brown's[43]- thiesman's[7]- crist hanburger's[55] oh well!

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    The commanders are finally retiring sonny jurgenson's[no.9] which should've been retired years ago, jurgenson is an nfl legend often called the greatest pure passer in league history, his career spaned 18 seasons the last 11 with washington, an honor long over due.
    Got that right......long overdue!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    How bout that, i know that all numbers can't be retired but some should be...larry brown's[43]- thiesman's[7]- crist hanburger's[55] oh well!
    It's a lot of them, Bruh. I'd think they'd retire Darrell Green's number. He's the first Washington player who comes to my mind from the old [but not really old] days.

You're right jerry,darrell green should be next...we'll see!!!

R&B, your team is just about as disorganized as the Browns. And it's sad, considering the history.

As long as danny boy is in charge they're gonna stay disorganized...h-e-l-p!!!

Big deal Danny boy gets the temporary boot. And to whom.........Mrs. Danny Boy!
    Big deal!!!!!

Meanwhile, he hides on his yacht in international waters to hide from giving Congressional testimony. You can't make that level of crazy up. Also meanwhile, it looks like John Gruden carried his level of ignorance and racism into his role with the Raiders. If he maintains his lawsuit, he's going to be labeled so toxic, nobody will interview him for a job cleaning stadium bathrooms, let alone give him a 10-year $100 million guaranteed contract to coach a football team.

Obviously Danny Boy hasn't heard the phrase "With great money comes great responsibility." The only thing he feels responsible for is the anatomincal part
    between his legs.

And Gruden? I hope that man never gets ANY job in the NFL again. It galls me to remember when he called the games on network.

Is it true that the Raiders are dumping their former first round pic, the O Lineman?

Oh, I hadn't heard that. I expect both the Falcons and Dolphins to be all over the waiver wire on Tuesday to pick up a couple of more offensive linemen. So, I'd expect the message boards and Twitter are all over trying to acquire him for both teams.

And regarding Gruden, I told my wife that Fox actually rehired Urban Meyer after all of his malignantly narcissistic behavior from last year and she brought up Gruden. She thinks he's employable once the heat dies down around him. I couldn't disagree with her.

Consider: Colin Kaepernick quietly takes a knee and gets blackballed, but Urban Meyer is employable, Aaron Rodgers' lying and utterly dangerous violation of COVID protocols was rewarded with a huge contract extension, Cleveland breaks the bank in a bidding war for a credibly-accused sexual predator, Buffalo looks the other way to employ someone alleged to have participated in the gang rape of a minor, and the NFL covered up Snyder's attempt to pimp out Washington's cheerleaders by commissioning an investigation but requiring the findings to be orally communicated so nobody outside the room could report on it.

I enjoy watching the NFL [I'm watching Atlanta play the Jaguars right now], but man, I feel like I need to take a long shower after watching games. It's so overtly corrupt but it's so popular, nobody seems to care.

The Steelers win [[over Detroit...meh). Not happy with OLine, only FG's instead of TD's.
    Both Watt/Johnson left the game. Tomlin [[in post game conference) says injuries not serious. It'll be interesting to see who gets cut.

Did you hear anything about a Commanders player getting shot in a carjacking?

Yeah, I heard it was non-life threatening, but didn't hear whether he's going to be sidelined for long. I also heard that Howard University had a bunch of bomb threats. It's a mad mad world. I haven't been to the DMV in over 30 years. It was bad back then. Maybe Jai could tell us if something like a player being shot is something that should be surprising.

Yeah, I'll wait to hear what he has to say. I'm not sure on this: did I read somewhere that were juveniles? SMH.... I read early yesterday that 3 youngsters [2 of them were 11 & 12] tried to steal Dodge Hellcats off the lot of their plant in Michigan. SMH again........

We live in a sick society. I don't know how we turn back from this.

A world on the edge of insanity, don't let this gentrification stuff fool you, d.c. Is still a deadly place and it can happen anywhere, the kid was very lucky, someone should've advised him on where and where not to go in the city, 8th st n.e. Is a shadey part of town,always has been, he should not have been over there.

Could this be blamed on the football club themselves for now communicating suspect areas to their newbies? I feel sorry for the kid, but happy to hear he's on the mend.

I'd be surprised if they don't advise their players about the unsafe parts of the city. They've got too much loot invested in keeping these guys healthy and available to play. If I had to guess, he was probably visiting a friend or family member in that part of town. Lord knows, I've ventured into areas where something bad could have happened. It almost never does.

Violence is random and even though there's probably only one or two degrees of separation from it for most of us, it's only surprising when it happens to us. And a lot of time, it happens because we're too trusting to think it can. A couple of years ago, the friend of a high schooler who goes to my church was shot while cooking in her kitchen. Some fool was shooting at somebody else and wasn't skilled enough to hit anything other than a bystander. He killed her.

If he was visiting,they shouldv'e warned him not to drive up in a[100.000]car, i was born and raised in d.c. And there are parts of town where they will jack you for a [yugo].

Didn't know about the car. I wish these young guys paid attention during the rookie symposium when they're advised to save the money on their first contract. About 15 years ago, Falcons wide receiver Harry Douglas spoke to the rookies while blinged out with diamond earrings, gold chains and all sorts of jewelry. He told them that now they could afford to buy the most expensive stuff and represent for their families.

When he got half the audience to smile and nod and salivate over all of the shiny gear, he started taking it off. He explained that nothing that he was wearing was real and that if they couldn't tell fake stuff from real, they should make their money work for them by investing it. They'd have plenty to spend on fake jewelry and nobody would be the wiser. I got the impression a lot of the guys tuned him out right then, but I hope he reached a few.

Buying a $100,000 car that will be worth $30,000 in three years is such a waste. Especially for a position with such a short lifespan as runningback. He might only have two years in the league.

The kid was extremly lucky, the bullitt passed thru and didn't hit any arteries, he should be on his knees thanking god to be alive, and never as long as he plays here, go near[8th and h n.e.]!!!

As crazy as he can be Marshawn Lynch has the right idea of saving $$. Although I was a bit disappointed when they pulled him out of a newer Mustang when he was intoxicated.

Jerry, did you watch the Ohio St/ND game? If so, what did you think?

Yeah, I did. I'm impressed with Ohio State's defense and less enthused about their offensive line. They have a ton of weapons and they're going to need to give Stroud time and also open holes for Henderson and Williams. Bucks are short on healthy receivers and running backs, so they need every chance to run free that they can get.

I think Notre Dame will be fine. Marcus Freeman has been influenced and mentored by some great coaches and he can always pick their brains to figure out next steps. I think they played well, but having a green QB hurt them going up against an experienced defense. Not sure if they're playing a home-and-home series, but if they are, Notre Dame will beat Ohio State in South Bend next season. Bank on it.

I was very impressed with Marcus Freeman. His potential is off the charts!
    And I just want people to stay healthy!

So, Mitch T is the starting QB for the Steelers....no surprise. But what is/isn't a surprise is that Mason Rudolph is in the 2nd position. What do you think? Pickett's lack of real NFL experience could be a good reason for putting him at 3rd.

Interesting. I recall 2007, when Matt Ryan was drafted and entered preseason third on the depth chart. By the end of the second game, he was named season starter and neither of the two QBs ahead of him seemed to put up much of a fight. He was pretty good from the beginning. Hard to believe he played for 14 years before being shipped to Indy.

The way I see quarterback battles is that coaches need to put the best player on the field. Other players don't want to help develop a quarterback for the future at the expense of losing today. They're one play away from a career-ending injury, so they want to win now. They can play and practice their butts off and the team might throw that effort into the trash by playing a QB who is less capable of making that effort pay off. Brian Flores nearly lost the locker room by playing Tua ahead of Ryan Fitzpatrick when Fitzpatrick was charismatic and playing pretty well.

That's why I don't expect to see Desmond Ridder play in Atlanta until we're out of playoff contention [which may not be too long, this season].

Saw Tomlin's press conference today. He claims that the QB depth chart had an error, due to someone's "copy & paste" error. Mitch T is #1, Pickett is #2 & Rudolph is #3. OK then. I believe he will dress 2 this Sunday against the Bengals.

In other news today, Art Rooney announced that the Steelers will be retiring Franco Harris's 32 jersey in December for the 50th anniversary of the Immaculate Reception, & will have a halftime ceremony during the [[ironically) the home game against the Raiders.
    I also saw this press conference today. Franco said there will also be a few of the old Raiders team in attendance, as well as members of the Steelers.

Good for Franco. Makes me wonder what changed between now and 40 years ago that his number is suddenly ready to raised to the rafters? Same for Sonny Jurgenson, BTW. Give these guys their proper respect when they're young enough to appreciate it.

In case you weren't aware Franco's number will be only the third number that the Steelers have retired [[Ernie Stauter & Joe Greene are the others). They don't do this often. With their dynasty in the 70's how do you retire all of those other great players' numbers? It was convenient that this will be the 50th anniversary of the Immaculate Reception. I will bet everyone in Pittsburgh who is old enough to remember knows exactly where they were when it happened. I am old enough to remember exactly where I was & what I was doing LOL.

I still cuss at the scream when it's played on TV. That play turned everything around for Pittsburgh, which was a long beleaguered franchise before that. Flipped a switch from a team that was an afterthought to one of the greatest franchises in professional sports. And to your point, it's almost shocking how many players from the '70s Steelers, '80s Niners, and '90s Cowboys are somehow not in the Hall of Fame. I wasn't a fan of either team [heck, I hated all three], but I could tell you every starter on both sides of the ball for each because they were all that stacked. But Franco's 32 is one of the most iconic numbers for a franchise in sport. Probably only Jim Brown's 32 for Cleveland is more iconic with that number. I'd put Walter Payton's 34 and Lawrence Taylor's 56 right up there with them, but few others.

Here's a thought for you: if you're gonna retire Franco's jersey then why not retire the person who threw it to him..Bradshaw 12? There would've been no Immaculate Reception without Bradshaw throwing to Franco.

But I like Art Rooney stating in the press conference that his father [Rooney Sr] said something like before Franco we lost & after Franco we didn't lose. LOL

And yes, as much as I have no love for the Browns I will always remember Jim Brown 32!
    The utmost respect for him!

Your team's had a remarkable run of success. It's crazy to believe that they've only had three head coaches in 50+ years. Atlanta and Miami have each had more than three head coaches in the last decade.

So are we all ready for some football tonight?

I suppose I am. My fantasy team has two players and both are going against great defenses. It's possible I could lose before Sunday's games begin if these two don't play to capability. Fingers are definitely crossed.

I've tried to get a response from Ms M. Nothing yet!!!!!

ALTHOUGH I STILL LOVE FOOTBALL, SOME OF THE PASSION HAS GONE OUT OF IT FOR ME, WHAT I'M ABOUT TO SAY IS JUST MY OPINION BUT FOR AWHILE NOW I'VE FELT THAT THE SUPERBOWL IS ALREADY DECIDED BEFORE IT'S PLAYED, AND WITH GAMBLING NOW LEGAL THE OUTCOME OF THE[BIG GAME-wink-wink]IS A FORGONE CONCLUSION, YES I'LL STILL WATCH AND HOPE THAT MY HOME TEAM WINS BUT IT'S NOT THE SAME!!

I don't think the games are fixed at a high level. If it was, the Cowboys and Giants would always be competing for Super Bowls. With that being said, I don't trust game officials. There's too much personal interpretation of the rules and I don't think you can have seven guys controlling the game and honestly suggest that one or more isn't beyond the influence of people who would benefit from knowing the score will/won't beat the point spread. But I believe that about all major sports.

The NFL has given me more than enough reason to jump off. I didn't watch a game the season after Kaepernick was blackballed. I'm just now starting to watch games for other teams besides my favorites. But I don't think there's any reason to believe the games are fixed, let alone the Super Bowl. Who knows, though?

What a blowout last night!
    The two women on the field protesting reminded me of the time James Harrison caught a man who came on the field & body slammed him. But......there's always something!!

I didn't see the protesters, but I can't consider somebody running onto the field without first and always thinking about Mad Mike Curtis, who terrorized players as a linebacker for the Colts in the '60s. Having some hippy run onto the field and grabbing the ball in front of Mike Curtis was like waving a fat red steak in front of a pit bull.

Ohhhhhhh I forgot about that!!