[REMOVE ADS]

Page 73 of 134 FirstFirst ... 23 63 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 83 123 ... LastLast
Results 3,601 to 3,650 of 6657

Thread: Yo... Moe

Jerry, the sportswriters in Pittsburgh can be vicious. Mark Madden [the most hated radioman in the 'Burgh] is claiming Kevin Dotson came to minicamp out of shape & that's why they moved him to the left of the OLine. This gave a LOT of pause to Steeler Twitterverse. Because Dotson had been posting pics of himself pulling a truck, working out with another [& looking great, by the way]. Who do you believe?

If the only person reporting it is Madden, then I'm not taking his word for it. Nobody would switch a good player a month early because he's out of shape. One of the main purposes of training camp is to get in shape. They switched him because he's better than the player he's replacing and they have a capable player taking his spot on the right side.

It's hard to stand out in sports media, so people manufacture scoops for attention. Like when Dan Orlovski said that "sources" told him that the reason Justin Fields was sliding down draft boards was because he was lazy and didn't exhibit a willingness to be great. When he was called out for lobbing racist tropes into the conversation, he later changed it to say that Fields had a hitch that took 0.2 extra second to release the ball than Trevor Lawrence, Zach Wilson, Mac Jones and Trey Lance. Trevor Lawrence, by the way, openly expressed his opinion that football was not his main priority in life and was still drafted #1. Had Fields said the same thing, he'd have fallen into the second round.

Interesting perspective about Lawrence vs Fields.
    That video of Dotson pulling a truck was hilarious!

I'm always leery when I hear people say "my sources". It never sounds authentic that someone is willing to leak something but only to one media outlet. If your source wants something broadcast, it's for some tactical reason and they're getting some benefit out of it. What would be the benefit of besmirching Kevin Dotson to one guy? His source is probably a janitor who heard something incorrectly.

Hey, Jai: Looks like Dan Snyder's been fined $10 million and told to stay home for a few weeks. What's going on with the WFT?

SAME OL,SAME OL..DANNY BOY GETS A SLAP ON THE WRIST AND TURNS THINGS OVER TO HIS WIFE[keep it in the family]AS FOR THE TEAM,AS LONG AS RIVERA IS IN CHARGE WE'RE GOOD,LOOKING FOR BIG THINGS THIS SEASON.

We all look good right now.......until that first quarter....then .....

Every fan has a reason to believe right now. I'm excited but only cautiously optimistic about how the season will unfold.

Cautiously optimistic is a great phrase. I’m with you Jerry. Those self assured may eat their words & those not so may end up in the Super Bowl. You just never know.

Hey jerry,we're supposed to get a new name in early[2022]i hope it's nothing stupid..at lease we keep the bugundy and gold!

I've been trying to think of names for your squad. Personally, I still think Rednecks would be a great name for them because for years, they claimed that use of a racial pejorative was fine because it honored a proud peoples. The proudest people that I know live in trailer parks and they'd be more than happy to be represented by Dan Snyder's squad. Besides, you'd only need to trade two letters out to get from "Redskins" to "Rednecks" and you can probably save money with that rebrand.

I can also imagine the Washington Pimps because I used to see them back in the '70s when I visited my Uncle Merle and Aunt Wilma in Landover. Another proud group that doesn't have representation by a franchise is pimps, playas and hos. The only problem with the Pimps as a team name is how the cheerleaders will be regarded as they dance in their skimpies because, well, that's kind of how Danny Boy got in trouble to begin with.

Finally, let's try the Washington Surge to pay respects to the January 6 patriots whose attempted insurgency seems to be quite okay with the Republican party. Your new helmet logo can be a can of bear spray or a confederate flag. That'll make instant fans out of 33% of the country.

Either of these would be great, IMO.

You two heard about Haskins? That guy can’t catch a break!

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAA...VERY FUNNY JERRY...AS FOR HASKINS..YOUNG AND DUMB!! BUT ON A SERIOUS NOTE THE ONLY NAMES THAT MAKE ANY SENSE TO ME..DIPLOMATS]yes there was once a soccer team but a long time ago]...ARCHIVES...FEDERALS[yes I know about the USFL team-this is a whole different team and time]..POTOMACS[the river that runs through is actually a French named not Indian]...MAYBE-Senators[although better for baseball] OF COURSE NOBODY IS LISTENING TO ME...GET READY FOR...REDWOLVES...agggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!

The Haskins situation is crazy. He's on thin ice already and if he gets cut by the Steelers, it may be his last chance in the league. I have no idea what made his wife so angry, but it may have cost them millions of dollars. The good news is that if they move to Columbus [[and I hope they don't, BTW), he's never going to have to worry about a job or paying for a meal. But that's the sort of thing players usually count on after the end of a 10-15 year career, not after being so stupid that they're run out of the league after four seasons.

And I have another name for the WFT: The Disease. Everybody's afraid of diseases and "disease" can be made to sound like "DCs". Get it? The Washington Disease [[DeeCees). It's perfect!

Looks like the WBT has its man.
    Sources: Washington Wizards offering head-coaching job to Denver Nuggets assistant Wes Unseld Jr.

6:15 PM ET

• Adrian WojnarowskiSenior NBA Insider

The Washington Wizards are offering the franchise's head-coaching job to Denver Nuggets associate head coach Wes Unseld Jr., with a deal expected to be completed in the coming days, sources told ESPN.

A formal agreement will bring about a remarkable homecoming: Unseld's late father, Wes Unseld, is the most important figure in franchise history: a Basketball Hall of Fame player, coach and executive with Washington.

Unseld completed two days of interviews in Washington on Friday, including with owner Ted Leonsis. Wizards management, including GM Tommy Sheppard, and Unseld's agent, Brian Elfus, are expected to start contract talks on Saturday that the sides expect to result in a long-term deal, sources said.

Unseld will be the seventh African American coach hired out of eight openings this offseason in the NBA. New Orleans is finalizing an agreement with Suns assistant Willie Green, and Portland [[Chauncey Billups), Atlanta [[Nate McMillan), Orlando [[Jamahl Mosley), Boston [[Ime Udoka) and Dallas [[Jason Kidd) hired African American coaches. Four of them -- including Unseld, Mosley, Billups and Green -- are assistants getting first-time opportunities as head coaches.
    Unseld was raised in the Wizards organization, working for 14 years in scouting and coaching roles before moving on to become one of the league's rising star assistant coaches. He spent the past six seasons with the Nuggets, where he played a part in one of the league's most impressive constructions of a championship contender. Unseld has been the Nuggets' defensive coordinator, helping the franchise to significant improvement in that area.

Unseld replaces Scott Brooks, who was let go after five seasons as head coach. The Wizards reached the Eastern Conference playoffs, losing in five games to No. 1 seed Philadelphia. The Wizards' cornerstone star, Bradley Beal, has one year left on his contract. Before joining the Nuggets, Unseld had assistant coaching positions with Golden State and Orlando. He was also a finalist for the Orlando Magic job that went to Mosley last week.

Wes Unseld Sr. died a year ago. He was the NBA's MVP in 1969, and won the NBA Finals MVP in 1978 after leading Washington to its only NBA championship.

I knew they would do it,oh well another[one an done]season...oh i did read your name thing too...don't quit your day job,hehehehehehe...jerry when we play your home team...we're gonna beat their brains out!!!

Anything is possible. Losing to the Jefferson Blue Jeans isn't embarassing. Save some hooch just in case you're wrong, though.

And... BOOM!

I actually wish him luck[he'll need it]if he gets them past the first round he should get coach of the year,alot will depend on thomas bryant's return and the progress of rui who should average twenty a game.

Steelers signed Melvin Ingram, breaking the hearts of many fans {including Miami's and Atlanta's} who were hoping to lock him up. Good get for Pittsburgh.

I hate rumors but this has been a good one, Jerry...

Steelers training camp begins tomorrow. Players arrived today. The season's so close, I can smell it.

Vince Williams quits. Fill a hole with Ingram, open another one with Williams. Was this expected?

Longtime Steelers linebacker Vince Williams announces his retirement from the NFL

Williams spent his entire eight-year career in Pittsburgh

By Tyler Sullivan
    4 hrs ago1 min read
    Getty Images
    Just before the start of training camp, veteran linebacker Vince Williams has announced his retirement from the NFL after eight seasons in the league, the Steelers announced on Wednesday. Williams spent his entire career with Pittsburgh and was the second-longest-tenured defensive starter [[Cam Heyward being the longest-tenured) on the team and third-most-tenured Steeler [[Heyward, Ben Roethlisberger). The team was notified of his decision to walk away from the game on Wednesday and the organization commended his efforts given to the franchise over the course of his tenure.

"Vince Williams notified us today that he will retire from the game of football," said Steelers general manager and vice president Kevin Colbert in a statement released by the team. "We respect his decision and want to thank him for his time with us as he consistently showed great character and leadership in addition to his contributions on the field. We wish Vince and his family all the best."

Williams was drafted in the sixth round [[206th overall) by the Steelers back in 2013 and blossomed into a key piece to their defense. In 14 games played [[all starts) last season, the 31 year old totaled 70 tackles [[third-best mark of his career), a career-high 14 tackles for a loss [[ranked fifth in the NFL last year), and three sacks. For his career [[121 regular-season games), Williams finishes with 479 tackles, 20.5 sacks and 50 tackles for a loss.

As for who may be replacing Williams within Pittsburgh's defense, it could very well turn into a camp battle consisting of Robert Spillane, Marcus Allen and rookie Buddy Johnson. The team did recently sign linebacker Melvin Ingram to a one-year deal, but he primarily plays on the outside meaning he likely won't factor into filling Williams' shoes.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/a...ntled-corners/

He was released, then signed back, then retired. He gave up $3million.
    This was a shocker to quite a few......

Mike Tomlin on OL expectations: We didn’t set the bar real high last year

Posted by Josh Alper on July 22, 2021, 7:15 PM EDT

Change was the focus of the Steelers offensive line this offseason as they have one starter back from last year and a new position coach leading the unit into the 2021 season.

That returning starter is Chuks Okorafor and he will be moving from right tackle to left tackle, so it’s pretty much an entirely fresh start up front on offense in Pittsburgh. After years of having a line led by center Maurkice Pouncey and right guard David DeCastro, that has left some wondering how effective the unit will be.

On Thursday, head coach Mike Tomlin said he was not in that group and, given last year’s performance, that any lost stability with the unit is not necessarily the same as lost production.

“We don’t have the bar set real high,” Tomlin said, via Joe Rutter of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. “We were last in the league in rushing. We have nowhere to go but up from certain aspects. It’s not something we fear. . . . We’ve got capable guys. There’s an expectation here that those guys are going to deliver. I’m not going to be surprised when they do. As a matter of fact, we expect them to. You can write a rags-to-riches tale . . . like we’re starting at ground zero or in the basement, but we don’t see it that way.”

The Steelers also have a new offensive coordinator in Matt Canada, so there will be plenty to do on that side of the ball in the coming weeks beyond putting together the new line in order to make sure that the offense is ready to go for Week 1 of the regular season.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...set-real-high/

The Steeler's O Line was cut up & the remnants spread around in the off season. I happen to be a huge Kevin Dotson fan. I think that Rajun' Cajun' will deliver. But it's the lack of experience of working together as a unit that I'm worried about. I was never a fan of the previous offensive coordinator [Randy Finchter...& mostly no one else was, either]. I will be at camp next weekend.
    What's the Falcons doing?

Falcons have an entirely new safety corps that's concerning to me. We listed three starting safeties on our initial depth chart last season, which is unusual. But true to Falcons form, all three were hurt by week three, meaning we started a relocated cornerback and a guy from the end of the sideline at crucial positions. I'm cautiously optimistic that the new crew {including a rookie} is going to be a strength of the defense.

Our problem on defense will be how effective we are at putting pressure on opposing QBs. Our EDGEs have been poo for years, now and I don't see where we've done anything to upgrade. I'll be over the moon if we can find 35 sacks over the course of the season.

Losing Julio was a blow, but since we've done nothing of consequence with him over 10 seasons, I'm not crying about his departure. Calvin Ridley is going to catch more passes, gain more yards and score more touchdowns this year than Julio will in Tennessee. I absolutely love picking Kyle Pitts in the draft. Manufacturing rushing yards might be a challenge, but if the line holds up, I think Matt Ryan will have close to an MVP season. That's my hottest take for you.

It's all going to come down to coaching, though. We nabbed Arthur Smith, who was responsible for turning the Titan's offense around the last couple of seasons. We don't have a Derrick Henry to drag defenders into the end zone from 60 yards out, but we might not need one. If Coach can come up with the right scheme, we have enough talented players to carry the less-talented ones {of which there are many}. I think our best outcome is 12-5 because we have an easy schedule. I believe our lowest projection is 7-10 because we have a lot that needs to come together and the generous NFL only gave us seven home games.

Hopefully, I'm not finding something else to watch on Sunday afternoons after week 5 like I did last year. If the Falcons tank, or aren't playing, I'll be eager to watch the Dolphins, who I think are going to play very well this year.

Looks like teams are using colored armbands to designate vaccinated and unvaccinated players.

Steelers unvaccinated players will wear yellow wristbands

Posted by Mike Florio on July 25, 2021, 12:43 PM EDT

The Pittsburgh Steelers have a high vaccination rate among players. Those who have yet to get the shot will stick out like a proverbial sore thumb.

Per the team, Steelers players who haven’t been vaccinated will be wearing yellow wristbands at practice.

The Steelers have been among the most successful at getting players to choose to take the vaccine. That’s a testament to the persuasive powers of coach Mike Tomlin, who realizes the competitive advantage of getting it — and disadvantage of not getting it.

It won’t be a surprise if, come September, every player remaining on the roster has gotten it.
    https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ow-wristbands/

Najee was wearing a mask & a yellow wristband. No more..........

Ron Rivera, coach of the Football Team of Washington, expressed frustration that his team is lagging behind most others in its vaccination rate. He's particularly concerned because as a cancer survivor, he's immune compromised. He's brought plenty of doctors and scientists in to answer all of his team's alleged questions to little avail. Yesterday, T.J. Ward, former cornerback for the Broncos, tweeted that Rivera should quit rather than ask his players to get vaccinated. Ward believes that Rivera lived a risky lifestyle and that's why he caught skin cancer, which spread to his lymph nodes.

We live in an evil age, where people feel comfortable expressing their most ignorant thoughts, all while swearing they know what they're talking about. I don't see how we come out of this period with fewer than a million deaths. I don't think it ends until people are falling dead in the streets.

Some of these players think they know more than the experts? I am just shaking my head, Jerry. If they don't agree than quit & do something else.
    Your last paragraph ........I couldn't have said it better.

Hey jerry,westbrook to the lakers,how bout that?

It's a lose-lose trade, Brother. Russ needs the ball to be in his hands but he's going to play with the only player who is a larger ball hog than he is. There's no way that he and LeBron's games will mesh with each other unless LeBron stops holding the ball for 18 seconds of each possession. And the WBT traded him for trash in return. Kuzma is a a scrub and Harrell is over rated but Caldwell-Pope is a good get. I wouldn't have made the trade if I was either team to be honest.

A great time at Steelers Training Camp, Jerry. Haskins didn't look too bad!!! He played some with the second team. I'll say this: he looked better than Rudolph [who, I think, is struggling....I have not been a fan]. JuJu & Claypool ok. Worth mentioning: James Pierre [who did have a pic against Rudolph], Tre Norwood, Rico Bussey. They were sold out at Heinz Field. My sunburnt arms/knees [despite the SPF 50] are paying the price.

Where is Steelers' training camp? My brother, who is the biggest Steelers fan that I know in the real world, is planning on moving here in the next couple of years. I'm betting he and I are at a future Steelers TC.

The Steelers Training Camp is usually at St Vincent College in Latrobe, PA. However, this year the NFL denied the request [because of insufficient Covid Protocols]. So this year training camp is at Heinz Field. Downtown Pittsburgh was very crowded this weekend. Besides Steelers training camp the Pirates were in town playing the Phillies, & everyone else was just out & about.

Quote Originally Posted by jerry oz View Post
    it's a lose-lose trade, brother. Russ needs the ball to be in his hands but he's going to play with the only player who is a larger ball hog than he is. There's no way that he and lebron's games will mesh with each other unless lebron stops holding the ball for 18 seconds of each possession. And the wbt traded him for trash in return. Kuzma is a a scrub and harrell is over rated but caldwell-pope is a good get. I wouldn't have made the trade if i was either team to be honest.
    but jerry,these are the gizzards,did you expect something that made sense??

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    but jerry,these are the gizzards,did you expect something that made sense??

And the Steelers won the first exhibition game of the season. I didn't watch but I heard there are signs of life in Dwayne Haskins' command of the offense. Looks like Rudolf had better overall stats, though.

I wish it had been a real game[steelers would've beat their brains out]..i hate the cowboys[overrated bums]!!

You two know how Ms M would be all over you for that statement, R&B!!
    As far as that game, there are signs of life in Haskins but I'll take Dobbs. Ballage looked
    good. The rookie Kendrick Greene started as center [[don't know if he'll be the starter in the real season but we'll see).
    It was a great night for the Steelers as Bill Cowher, Donnie Shell & Troy Polamalu were inducted into the Pro Football HOF. And Troy P made it with double mask & all because of the Covid. Bettis couldn't come because he tested positive for Covid. Tonight is another group including Alan Faneca & Bill Nunn.

Hey moe..where is the lovely[ms m]???

That's a good question, R&B. I'll have to check it out.

Jerry, you need to tell your brother to check out the Steelers rookie punter Pressley Harvin III. What a leg!!!

Haven't heard about PH3 {inevitable nickname}, but you might want to hope he can play outside linebacker. T.J. Watt's not practicing until he gets more loot.

But at least he's there at camp. We'll see what happens........
    When you look at Harvin your response may be that he doesn't look like a punter....& he doesn't. He almost looks like a member of the DLine/LB. He is not supposed to be playing against the Eagles [Berry will punt]. I'll be curious to hear what you think.

I'll be watching. At least the first quarter. The first preseason game is usually a dog after the first quarter, unless you're a fan of one of the teams and want to see lesser-known players striving to make the roster.

Speaking of that, I get to watch the Falcons and Dolphins on national TV next Friday. I traveled to Miami some years ago for a preseason game and wound up in a hurricane.

I watched some of the dallas game and they better hope nothing happens to dak,or they are dead in the water,as for my home team,chase young looks to be in mid season form,but it's early yet!!

Teams trimmed their rosters today. There'll be a few adjustments over the next couple of days but it's time to get ready for the season.

And the Steelers have questions. Zach Banner a starter in their OLine on the injury list
    [he is recovering, though, from ACL surgery]. Josh Dobbs has turf toe [also on injury list],
    & Stephon Tuitt, but for a different reason. His brother was killed in a hit & run crash in an Atlanta suburb. So he hasn't practiced at all. Joe Haden wants his contract extended. But, what team at this point would give a 32 yr/old an extension for the $$ he wants? This is no surprise since his agent is Drew Rosenhouse. A lot of fill in the blanks for us.
    Happy to see some rookies make the roster.

What's going on in Atlanta, Jerry?