[REMOVE ADS]

Listing of acts who plyed in Vietnam

Is there a listing anywhere of the soul acts who performed for the troops in Vietnam ??
    We all know of the famous shows by acts such as James Brown & his entourage ... BUT ... back in Jan 67, Alvin Cash & the Crawlers [[+ Otis Clay) toured the UK playing gigs in soul clubs & at USAF bases. He told soul fans here that they were about to head straight off to Vietnam to play for the troops out there.
    Who made such trips & what they made of the conditions the troops had to live in & the stages / venues they played on / in should have been documented.

Gladys Knight & the Pips played for the troops in Vietnam at the time their record "I Heard It Through the Grapevine" was hot. It was on one of Bob Hope's tours they showed on television.

I remember reading about the Supremes visiting wounded soldiers but I don't remember where

Barbara McNair did in 1967. Motown were on the receiving end of heavy pressure to send top acts to entertain the troops. The Supremes were the big target, especially as Mary and Diana had brother serving in Vietnam. That didn't happen, and the Temptations apparently decided on a show of hands to refuse, several members having become interested in the anti-war movement

I guess the Supremes went to some sort of military hospital, maybe in the Phillipines

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    I guess the Supremes went to some sort of military hospital, maybe in the Phillipines
    Several of the Motown acts entertained wounded military at Walter Reed Hospital in MD.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Several of the Motown acts entertained wounded military at Walter Reed Hospital in MD.
    As I recall, the Marvelettes performed at a military base in West Germany in late 1967. And it was around the same time that Ann Bogan joined the group.

Robin Williams

I don't know about Vietnam...but my group...The Strides put on a show for the 101st Airborne during the 1967 Detroit Civil Disturbances [[Riots) at the Michigan State Fairgrounds where they were stationed after LBJ sent them in... True story...

Gladys Knight & the Pips played for the troops in Vietnam at the time their record "I Heard It Through the Grapevine" was hot. It was on one of Bob Hope's tours they showed on television.
    Excellent, thanks! I just watched the footage online. Awesome and high energy performance. Would like to post the link here, but i can't figure how to copy/paste it with an iPhone/smartphone lol.

Quote Originally Posted by cozmic View Post
    Excellent, thanks! I just watched the footage online. Awesome and high energy performance. Would like to post the link here, but i can't figure how to copy/paste it with an iPhone/smartphone lol.
    Did you find it on Youtube? Just give me the exact title and I will post the link for you.

Quote Originally Posted by destruction View Post
    Robin Williams
    You my friend are ALWAYS good for a laugh.

SORRY GUYS, CARRY ON....HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Did you find it on Youtube? Just give me the exact title and I will post the link for you.
    Yes sir! You can exacty copy/paste this line when searching: GLADYS KNIGHT & THE PIPS - 1970 - "I Heard It Through The Grapevine" [[the 6:19 version, posted by Soundcheck24).

That link shows the complete performance footage in excellent visual quality. There's another youtube link [[posted by youtube member Charles Murphy), but in a lesser complete quality though.

Ok, one more edit. Just noticed at the beginning of the footage that it was filmed at the Brooke Army Medical Center in Fort Sam Houston, Texas. So i guess that this performance was also broadcasted at the Vietnam camps?
    Last edited by cozmic; 11-05-2016 at 05:00 AM.

Yes sir! You can exacty copy/paste this line when searching: GLADYS KNIGHT & THE PIPS - 1970 - "I Heard It Through The Grapevine" [[the 6:19 version, posted by Soundcheck24).

That link shows the complete performance footage in excellent visual quality. There's another youtube link [[posted by youtube member Charles Murphy), but in a lesser complete quality though.

Ok, one more edit. Just noticed at the beginning of the footage that it was filmed at the Brooke Army Medical Center in Fort Sam Houston, Texas. So i guess that this performance was also broadcasted at the Vietnam camps?
    Cozmic, I remember and liked this performance too, but the one I was referring to was from 1967. Gladys Knight & the Pips actually performed over in Vietnam as a part of the Bob Hope Tour. They performed on the portable or makeshift stage for the troops right out in the field. I only saw it in black and white on television back when it was broadcast.

This clip is an edited version of GK&TP's appearance on the Ed Sullivan Show. On the full clip, he actually introduces them. The full clip is on the dvd MOTOWN GOLD FROM THE ED SULLIVAN SHOW.

Cozmic, I remember and liked this performance too, but the one I was referring to was from 1967. Gladys Knight & the Pips actually performed over in Vietnam as a part of the Bob Hope Tour. They performed on the portable or makeshift stage for the troops right out in the field. I only saw it in black and white on television back when it was broadcast.
    Ah ok, thanks Marv2 for your info and for posting the video. Must have been great to watch the 1967 tour.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    This clip is an edited version of GK&TP's appearance on the Ed Sullivan Show. On the full clip, he actually introduces them. The full clip is on the dvd MOTOWN GOLD FROM THE ED SULLIVAN SHOW.
    Excellent, thank you reese for sharing.