Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by thomas96 View Post
    And Ian Levine is a dirtbag.
    Uh hmmmmmm........LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by thomas96 View Post
    Ella Fitzgerald.

The beautiful Nancy Wilson.
    Totally agree and add Maxine Brown.

the first ever artist i worked for was Blondie - Deborah Harry..she was the sweetest kindest lovely lady..I had to look after KD Lang for a day once and she was the same just a nice normal lady..Rupaul was great to work for he has a big heart...the worst I had to deal with ? Spice girls Mariah carey and yoko ono..a truly awful vile woman

Divas are complex people. Artists are complex people. Writers are complex people. Doctors are complex people. Athletes and politicians and scientists and all of us. IMO we are all called to live by the golden rule.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Divas are complex people. Artists are complex people. Writers are complex people. Doctors are complex people. Athletes and politicians and scientists and all of us. IMO we are all called to live by the golden rule.
    Right on. Exactly what I was trying to say lol

I had not thought of Nancy Wilson in reference to my question, but what a nice addition to the discussion. I would hope she is as sweet as she is talented.

You guys are getting frisky with your discussions of the not-so-nice ones, but I can see your points in most cases. Still no one has guessed the lady I was thinking of but maybe that is my fault. Perhaps I misled you by using the term "mega star" in my original post, because the lady I have in mind might not really meet that criteria, although she certainly is a known recording artist.

I will give you a hint...........remember the sweet smile that I mentioned and also she was a guest on Dionne's TV show once. Not Solid Gold, but the later one that I think was entitled Dionne and Friends. I think it only lasted part of one season. Does that help?

Hmm... I might need more clues than that? I got blanks lol

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    I had not thought of Nancy Wilson in reference to my question, but what a nice addition to the discussion. I would hope she is as sweet as she is talented.

You guys are getting frisky with your discussions of the not-so-nice ones, but I can see your points in most cases. Still no one has guessed the lady I was thinking of but maybe that is my fault. Perhaps I misled you by using the term "mega star" in my original post, because the lady I have in mind might not really meet that criteria, although she certainly is a known recording artist.

I will give you a hint...........remember the sweet smile that I mentioned and also she was a guest on Dionne's TV show once. Not Solid Gold, but the later one that I think was entitled Dionne and Friends. I think it only lasted part of one season. Does that help?
    Mica Paris?

Quote Originally Posted by nomis View Post
    the first ever artist i worked for was Blondie - Deborah Harry..she was the sweetest kindest lovely lady..I had to look after KD Lang for a day once and she was the same just a nice normal lady..Rupaul was great to work for he has a big heart...the worst I had to deal with ? Spice girls Mariah carey and yoko ono..a truly awful vile woman
    I've gotten mixed responses about Mariah. Spice Girls ain't got that many hits to be catty. No comment on Yoko.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Mica Paris?
    I know Mica Paris, and she is as lovely as she is talented but i somehow don't think it is Mica who daviddsepar was refering to. I didn't see the Dionne tv show as it was not shown in the UK so that doesn't give me any clues. We could go on guessing all day. I met Thelma Houston earlier this year and she was delightful. Could it be her?

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    I know Mica Paris, and she is as lovely as she is talented but i somehow don't think it is Mica who daviddsepar was refering to. I didn't see the Dionne tv show as it was not shown in the UK so that doesn't give me any clues. We could go on guessing all day. I met Thelma Houston earlier this year and she was delightful. Could it be her?
    So glad you mention Mica Paris Bluebrock. I have not met her in person myself, but have heard from others that she is a lovely lady to work with. Such a huge and underrated talent. Should be a superstar with a voice like that.....No justice.

Stephanie Mills?

Much as i loved Whitney she could be very difficult. I worked with her on two occasions First time was in 1985 when she was clean. Whilst she fell short of being downright rude she was rather awkward and unco=operative at times, yet she could be as sweet as honey if she was in a good mood. The second occasion was in the late 80;s during the MY LOVE IS YOUR LOVE era. I am not going into detail but to say she was difficult would be a gross understatement. Having said that she apologised to me for her behaviour and i gladly accepted that apology. I loved Whitney and could forgive her anything.
    You're right about the "My Love is Your Love Tour". At the Universal Ampitheater date, the first 5 songs went well....but, she became increasingly distracted. A fan had given her a big beautiful bouquet of flowers, as she ascended the stairs she tossed that bouquet down with a vengeance. It was horrifying to experience. You may remember she canceled the San Francisco date the next day though there was no sign of illness at the Universal Ampitheater date. Of course, anything could have happened later that evening. However, though I was in a bit of denial....it was at the beginning stages of her illness [[addictions).

Woahh, I've been away for 3 days and this 2-page thread has appeared out of nowhere, LOL!!

I have never met or talked to any of these artists, and I have no idea what they are/were like in person, so I can probably contribute very little to this thread, hehe!

On the matter of Ian Levine, well, I have never met him either. I have great respect for him recording all the former Motown artists, and I don't think he could have paid them because Motorcity didn't make much money from its releases...? Edwin Starr and Frank Wilson seemingly became good friends with him, although Mary Wilson not so much...

Does that help?
    That not being a mega star thing changes everything to me. I have never seen Dionne's tv
    show but I can think of a few artists who were very nice to meet including our own Susaye
    Greene. Bobbi Humphrey who I met way back in 2003 or 04 was a doll, too...

Leslie Uggams? She was wonderful to me when I met her.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    So glad you mention Mica Paris Bluebrock. I have not met her in person myself, but have heard from others that she is a lovely lady to work with. Such a huge and underrated talent. Should be a superstar with a voice like that.....No justice.
    She is lovely Ollie. I had already told Diana about how talented Mica was, and in 1990 i took Mica to meet Diana. I had given Diana a copy of Mica's debut cd which she loved and the look upon Mica's face when Diana told her which were her favourite songs was priceless. As you rightly say Mica should have become a superstar but she was very unhappy with her 3rd album "whisper a prayer" which i thought was a fine album, but it was too slick and polished for Mica's liking and sheparted company with her label when they wanted her to record a similar themed follow up album. Her "black angel" album is well worth checking out. Love my girl Mica!

Quote Originally Posted by Bokiluis View Post
    You're right about the "My Love is Your Love Tour". At the Universal Ampitheater date, the first 5 songs went well....but, she became increasingly distracted. A fan had given her a big beautiful bouquet of flowers, as she ascended the stairs she tossed that bouquet down with a vengeance. It was horrifying to experience. You may remember she canceled the San Francisco date the next day though there was no sign of illness at the Universal Ampitheater date. Of course, anything could have happened later that evening. However, though I was in a bit of denial....it was at the beginning stages of her illness [[addictions).
    Sadly you are right. No denying that talent but it came with such a heavy price to pay. God Bless her.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Leslie Uggams? She was wonderful to me when I met her.
    I love Leslie Uggams. She is a true star and a great lady.

Miki Howard talks about Whitney Houston:

Brenda Holloway is a very nice lady, as is Kim Weston [[I hope she's doing well). Kim is absolutely hilarious, btw!

Quote Originally Posted by johnny_raven View Post
    Brenda Holloway is a very nice lady, as is Kim Weston [[I hope she's doing well). Kim is absolutely hilarious, btw!
    Most of the Motown women are very nice and gracious. Most!

Quote Originally Posted by Bokiluis View Post
    Yeah that was the start of her drug addicted decline.

She is lovely Ollie. I had already told Diana about how talented Mica was, and in 1990 i took Mica to meet Diana. I had given Diana a copy of Mica's debut cd which she loved and the look upon Mica's face when Diana told her which were her favourite songs was priceless. As you rightly say Mica should have become a superstar but she was very unhappy with her 3rd album "whisper a prayer" which i thought was a fine album, but it was too slick and polished for Mica's liking and sheparted company with her label when they wanted her to record a similar themed follow up album. Her "black angel" album is well worth checking out. Love my girl Mica!
    Thank you so much more sharing that Bluebrock. Do you recall which songs Diana happened to like best from mica's debut album and did they get on?.
    I am in agreement with Mica. That 3rd album for me was indeed a little to slick and rounded, although i love the song Whisper A Prayer. I have been playing "Black Angel" for years and also love her second album and "Born Again".
    Sorry folks, i know this is a Motown Forum but Mica did duet with Mr Will Downing who was once signed to motown on a one album deal so there is a tentative connection....Kind of.
    Last edited by Ollie9; 10-30-2016 at 06:58 PM.

Thank you so much more sharing that Bluebrock. Do you recall which songs Diana happened to like best from mica's debut album and did they get on?.
    I am in agreement with Mica. That 3rd album for me was indeed a little to slick and rounded, although i love the song Whisper A Prayer. I have been playing "Black Angel" for years and also love her second album and "Born Again".
    Sorry folks, i know this is a Motown Forum but Mica did duet with Mr Will Downing who was once signed to motown on a one album deal so there is a tentative connection....Kind of.
    No arguments from me, Ollie9! I've always loved Mica's work. I agree with you, Mica, and Bluebrock about WHISPER A PRAYER; CONTRIBUTION remains my favorite, which I recently repurchased from my favorite local used CD outlet. I dug BLACK ANGEL as well. I just learned about her covers album yesterday! And don't forget "Young Soul Rebels"!
    Last edited by sansradio; 10-30-2016 at 07:49 PM.

No arguments from me, Ollie9! I've always loved Mica's work. I agree with you, Mica, and Bluebrock about WHISPER A PRAYER; CONTRIBUTION remains my favorite, which I recently repurchased from my favorite local used CD outlet.
    "My One Temptation" is what made me think of and mention Mica in the first place. She sang it on Dionne & Friends.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    "My One Temptation" is what made me think of and mention Mica in the first place. She sang it on Dionne & Friends.
    Yeah, Marv, that first album was a great debut. My college years.

I will give it up for Vesta Williams. She was truly a sweet heart and would keep you laughing all the time. I can remember driving her around to gigs and she could just say some of the craziest stuff that would make you go......................HUH ??? Gone too soon but, definitely a star of high caliber. Rest in Heaven Vesta !!!!!
    I had to think about this because all have driven me to think WTF but Vesta was unique.

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    I will give it up for Vesta Williams. She was truly a sweet heart and would keep you laughing all the time. I can remember driving her around to gigs and she could just say some of the craziest stuff that would make you go......................HUH ??? Gone too soon but, definitely a star of high caliber. Rest in Heaven Vesta !!!!!
    I had to think about this because all have driven me to think WTF but Vesta was unique.
    Hi. Damn she seems familiar. Did we ever discuss her on this forum? Nice you had good experiences with her?

IDK, but she was truly underrated as a musician. She reminded me of Phyllis Hyman because vocally she could handle any song she was given.

Unsung did a whole episode on her.

More great names brought up today, such as Leslie Uggams. Will we ever see her Motown album issued on CD by the way?

I won't keep you guys in suspense much longer about who I was originally referring to. It would be Real Cruel of me to do that....yep that would be RC of me, alright.....

Maybe that is what I am thinking! Thanks Luke

More great names brought up today, such as Leslie Uggams. Will we ever see her Motown album issued on CD by the way?

I won't keep you guys in suspense much longer about who I was originally referring to. It would be Real Cruel of me to do that....yep that would be RC of me, alright.....
    Wait...Randy Crawford, right? Or Rita Coolidge???

One of the most tragic considering that her interview, she was all full of hope and promise and then died a few days later.

He should just give the answer now and be done with it.

Yes it's time!! Your welcome demot

Wait...Randy Crawford, right? Or Rita Coolidge???
    Randy Crawford is one of the nicest and sweetest people I ever met. She promised me an autographed CD...and a day later, drove 30 miles to deliver it to me...

That's impressive StuBass. What a lady!!

That's impressive StuBass. What a lady!!
    Very sweet Name:  IMG_20161031_104353303 [[2).jpg
Views: 648
Size:  97.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by StuBass1 View Post
    Randy Crawford is one of the nicest and sweetest people I ever met. She promised me an autographed CD...and a day later, drove 30 miles to deliver it to me...
    Yes she is. i never understood why didn't become a big star in the States. she was huge in the UK and parts of Europe. A superb singer and a lovely, kind sweet person

Is she still performing?

Is she still performing?
    Her sites show she was touring through part of 2015, touring Europe, and had previously toured with the late Crusaders keyboardist Joe Sample [[RIP)...No events or performances showing on any tour sites...

Is she still performing?
    Yes she is. I saw her a couple of years ago and she was as good as the previous half a dozen times.

As a matter of fact i do. She loved BREATHE LIFE INTO ME and MY ONE TEMPTATION but she was impressed with the whole album.
    It looks like i am in the minority with WHISPER A PRAYER. I adore the title track and YOU PUT A MOVE ON MY HEART which is superior to the Quincy Jones version. Is .. Is anyone familar with WHERE ARE THE CHILDREN an outake from the Contribution album, and also a Bobby Womack duet from the same sessions the title of which currently eludes me. Two stunning tracks.

Love me some Randy. I have seen her in concert many times over the years, the last being when she toured with Joe Sample. Her voice just gets bettter and better. She has always come across as a very sweet and genuine lady.
    Vesta was indeed an underated singer. My favourite album being "Relationships"..... R & B for grown ups.

No arguments from me, Ollie9! I've always loved Mica's work. I agree with you, Mica, and Bluebrock about WHISPER A PRAYER; CONTRIBUTION remains my favorite, which I recently repurchased from my favorite local used CD outlet. I dug BLACK ANGEL as well. I just learned about her covers album yesterday! And don't forget "Young Soul Rebels"!
    I really like "Contribution" as well sansradio. I have never heard her "Soul Classics" album, but reviews of it seem very mixed. It's a shame Mica never recorded an album for motown, though many of her songs sound motown influenced.

I really like "Contribution" as well sansradio. I have never heard her "Soul Classics" album, but reviews of it seem very mixed. It's a shame Mica never recorded an album for motown, though many of her songs sound motown influenced.

And Soul Classics has no less than five Motown covers, it seems. The song selection does appear to be a little more-of-the-same. I'll reserve judgment until I get to hear it.

Noticed that US iTunes doesn't have her first two albums, but every other album thereafter is represented. Someone snapped up the copy of So Good at my favorite shop before I could get it.
    Last edited by sansradio; 10-31-2016 at 10:18 PM.

i know one that is entirely the opposite and very easy to work with... Petula Clark. Petula has now been famous for 75+ plus years and will turn 84 this November and is still going strong. For those of my fellow Americans doing the math. Yes, she started out at the age of 6 singing professionally and by the age of 8 was was singing nationally in the UK on the BBC. That was almost 25 years before Downtown ever happened. Not to mention her parallel careers singing in French, Italian and German that most Americans are not aware with many hits that were Not specifically translations of the English hits. Many of which were specifically written for her.

Petula released her latest album on 16 Sep which is getting extremely good reviews and some of her best work of the last 20 years. Petula has been recording for over 67 + years, which is quite a record. She has recorded in excess of 125 + albums, well over 2,000 songs in those 67 + years.

Petula is one of the most approachable artists that i know of, always spending an hour and sometimes more conversing with her fans after a show or concert.
    Last edited by greg jones; 10-31-2016 at 10:46 PM.

Yes it was Miss Randy and I am happy to hear that my thoughts about her were validated. All I really had to go on was the appearance on that Dionne show that I mentioned. She just came across as so sweet and genuine. But fortunately this thread has been an education in terms of who else fits that mold and sadly the ones who don't as well. Thanks for all your contributions to the discussion, but of course that doesn't necessarily mean you have to stop!