[REMOVE ADS]

Sugar Daddy by the jackson 5

One of my favorite J5 songs. Love the way Michael and Jermaine interpret the lyrics. And the line, "I'll even let you drive my Caddy when I get one, baby" makes me laugh out loud!

From the innocent days.

Also one of my favorites from around Christmas 1971.

I think of Sugar Daddy as the "lost" Jackson 5 hit. It appeared only on their Greatest Hits LP, just like The Supremes' The Happening. I didn't really want to buy their Greatest Hits as I already had all the albums and the songs but felt compelled to buy in order to get the song on a 12" disc.

Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    I think of Sugar Daddy as the "lost" Jackson 5 hit. It appeared only on their Greatest Hits LP, just like The Supremes' The Happening. I didn't really want to buy their Greatest Hits as I already had all the albums and the songs but felt compelled to buy in order to get the song on a 12" disc.
    You've inadvertently answered my question! I've recently acquired most of the early J5 studio LPs on CD recently and wondered why I was missing it. Thanks!

We had the 45. My sister bought it in January 1972 the first week after Christmas vacation was over. Later, my father bought me the Greatest Hits album.

You all noticed that the 45 has a different mix than the album, right? For the songs up to the end of 1972, you still need the 45s, as they were usually different mixes, and in the case of "Mama's Pearl" different vocal takes.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    ...You all noticed that the 45 has a different mix than the album, right? For the songs up to the end of 1972, you still need the 45s, as they were usually different mixes, and in the case of "Mama's Pearl" different vocal takes.
    I never noticed. Now I'll have to dig out the 45 and have a listen!

I was in 1st grade when this song came out. I can't say I remember it, but I do remember Rosalyn Adkins bringing the J5 Christmas Album to our class Christmas party and it being played on one of those built-like-a-tank mono record players.

OMG I remember this song when it came out but, had forgotten about it since it is not one that is usually brought it. Michael was just so ahead of the game. Motown captured a legend and truly had a talented group at the helm.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    We had the 45. My sister bought it in January 1972 the first week after Christmas vacation was over. Later, my father bought me the Greatest Hits album.

You all noticed that the 45 has a different mix than the album, right? For the songs up to the end of 1972, you still need the 45s, as they were usually different mixes, and in the case of "Mama's Pearl" different vocal takes.
    sansradio, you are quite welcome!

soulster, do you know if the Jackson 5 box set has the album version or the 45 version? Aside from the Motown Singles collection, has the single version appeared on a cd?

Sorry but to me Sugar Daddy was just another sound alike and almost an embarrassment after I Want You Back etc...I couldn't bear to listen to it. IMO[[kind of like I'm Livin in Shame after Love Child)

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Sorry but to me Sugar Daddy was just another sound alike and almost an embarrassment after I Want You Back ...I couldn't bear to listen to it. IMO
    I agree with you, luke. By this time the “formula” used by The Corporation was wearing thin and it was time for a change.

soulster, do you know if the Jackson 5 box set has the album version or the 45 version? Aside from the Motown Singles collection, has the single version appeared on a cd?
    The box set has the album version. One CD that has the single mix is "The Jackson Story". Another thing: the track is out of phase! But, that can be fixed with software.

Quote Originally Posted by mowest View Post
    I agree with you, luke. By this time the “formula” used by The Corporation was wearing thin and it was time for a change.
    Soon Michael would be remaking the "oldies" from the 50s like Rockin Robin and Little Bitty Pretty One.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Sorry but to me Sugar Daddy was just another sound alike and almost an embarrassment after I Want You Back etc...I couldn't bear to listen to it. IMO[[kind of like I'm Livin in Shame after Love Child)
    I could not disagree with you guys any more than I do on this song. Sugar Daddy was a
    romp and a half, a big favorite of all of the kids I was running with at the time. Great rhythm
    track and I remember being taken by the lyrics and pure pop genius of the candy references
    in the song. "Oh Henry, he's driving me nuts! Mary Jane said...I'm just a lollipop..Suckerrr..."
    It was a lot of fun for us to listen to, dance to and sing along with...to each it's reach, I guess...

Wink

You can find the mono single mix on this CD :

https://www.amazon.com/Third-Album-M...maybe+tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by splanky View Post
    I could not disagree with you guys any more than I do on this song. Sugar Daddy was a
    romp and a half, a big favorite of all of the kids I was running with at the time. Great rhythm
    track and I remember being taken by the lyrics and pure pop genius of the candy references
    in the song. "Oh Henry, he's driving me nuts! Mary Jane said...I'm just a lollipop..Suckerrr..."
    It was a lot of fun for us to listen to, dance to and sing along with...to each it's reach, I guess...
    Exactly. I remember playing in the cold with these kids, the Laysons and singing it on Detroit Ave. It was very popular......with us.
    Last edited by marv2; 10-28-2016 at 12:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mjdestiny View Post

I should've held out for this edition; I got the US edition 2-fer of these two albums this summer for @ $30; ouch!

Quote Originally Posted by splanky View Post
    You can hear the brothers having fun on the recording.

Yup.Istillhaveminetoo.

The nice thing is that they included the non-album B-side "I'm So Happy".

Thanks! I think I have that in my collection. I'll check when I get home.

I wonder why no one has asked them what was the most fun recording they did because SD is up there. MJ's spoken ad libs were hilarious.

The two bonus tracks appear on all the 2 on 1 releases from 2001 onwards. So that excludes the UK 2000 issue [[weird because several CDs in that series contained bonus tracks).
    Last edited by mysterysinger; 10-29-2016 at 09:07 AM.

I've always loved the J5's "Sugar Daddy". The string passages and handclaps are hot, while the instrumental break and the key change are brilliant. Motown was still gettin' down!
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 10-31-2016 at 01:42 PM.