[REMOVE ADS]

Oh, goodie. Another highly biased opinion of whom some nobody thinks should and should not be in the R&R HOF.

The nominees should have been pared down to 1, 2 or 3 nominees years ago when the Rock 'n Roll Era nominees were now included. Tupac and Journey should be no brainers. Janet Jackson fans, according to a good Jimmy Jam interview currently on Youtube have been campaigning aggressively for her. However, just like Diana as a solo artist should NOT be included, I struggle with Janet. What next, the dearly beloved, belated Whitney Houston? Even Madonna is suspect in my "highly biased opinion".
    And, uh, I thought this was a Forum for "highly biased opinions"....but what do I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Bokiluis View Post
    The nominees should have been pared down to 1, 2 or 3 nominees years ago when the Rock 'n Roll Era nominees were now included. Tupac and Journey should be no brainers. Janet Jackson fans, according to a good Jimmy Jam interview currently on Youtube have been campaigning aggressively for her. However, just like Diana as a solo artist should NOT be included, I struggle with Janet. What next, the dearly beloved, belated Whitney Houston? Even Madonna is suspect in my "highly biased opinion".
    And, uh, I thought this was a Forum for "highly biased opinions"....but what do I know.
    You missed my point. I wasn't talking about the opinions here. I was talking about bloggers and such who write about their annoyance by the indictees. Everybody has a complaint about at least one of a year's inductees.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    You missed my point. I wasn't talking about the opinions here. I was talking about bloggers and such who write about their annoyance by the indictees. Everybody has a complaint about at least one of a year's inductees.
    No, no, actually I did, that's why I feel there are far too many nominees. It is become difficult to tell just what "Rock 'n Roll" means, it's so watered down. Unfortunately, email can be challenging to understand nuances. Like you may feel, I just don't know what qualities as "Rock 'n Roll". On one hand, if Madonna is in, then why not Janet. And should Journey even be debated, though they were often saddled with the "corporate rock" moniker, they are still rock. Staples at Album Rock Radio, as well as, Top 40. Disgrace may too strong, but, slightly confusing and disappointing for sure.

They couldn't do it that way. It would take them 50years to have enough inductees to fill the Hall in Cleveland. Who is going to want to visit and tour a Hall with say 15 inductees over 5 year period using your rationale. It's about money don't forget. It is always about money, tourist dollars and sales of further recordings.

This is why it is important to have a Rhythm & Blues Hall of Fame. Each year it is growing in strength and awareness. They need the support of music lovers everywhere.

While I love and understand the idea of the R&B Hall Of Fame, I wonder about the merits of once again, separating music. The R&R one is a big enough umbrella, but it always R&B that ends up in the rain. Maybe not. But the way I see it, having a separate but equal hall for just R&B will cause it to be marginalized.

Just a thought...

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    While I love and understand the idea of the R&B Hall Of Fame, I wonder about the merits of once again, separating music. The R&R one is a big enough umbrella, but it always R&B that ends up in the rain. Maybe not. But the way I see it, having a separate but equal hall for just R&B will cause it to be marginalized.

Just a thought...
    In many ways I agree but unless they can diversify the nominating committee for the Rock Hall, you are going to have more lists of nominees like the one for next year.

Hello All,
    Congrats to all.
    Past and future.
    Hope one day our name can be added.
    Ceasar
    The
    Original
    Tymes

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    In many ways I agree but unless they can diversify the nominating committee for the Rock Hall, you are going to have more lists of nominees like the one for next year.
    I don't have a problem with this list.

"Awards mean shit..who is to say who is better than whom ?" [[Chaka Khan)

It took the Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame to be televised. I wonder and hope one day soon the R&B Hall of Fame will soon be as well. There are certainly a number of niche channels that one of them could air them.
    Fair point for the marketing to have a wide number of inductees to keep interest at a peak. Silly me to forget the importance of commerce. I still feels it waters down the authenticity, but, that's no longer the sole point.
    Last edited by Bokiluis; 10-30-2016 at 08:03 AM.

I hope with their growth of nominees, they stop with the five-person clause and induct at least seven. But I'm sure they're still playing dirty politics. We'll see.

It took the Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame to be televised. I wonder and hope one day soon the R&B Hall of Fame will soon be as well. There are certainly a number of niche channels that one of them could air them.
    Fair point for the marketing to have a wide number of inductees to keep interest at a peak. Silly me to forget the importance of commerce. I still feels it waters down the authenticity, but, that's no longer the sole point.
    Sorry to be so blunt but I remember all of the money various cities spent campaigning to become the site of the R'N'R Hall of Fame. Sure it would be an honor to have it located in your city, but it also meant additional revenue for hotels, restaurants, etc.