[REMOVE ADS]

Here's a real treat.... CP SPENCER OF THE ORIGINALS

For fans of The Originals, here is an interview recorded in 1997 by Bill Randle with CP Spencer ...one hour 37 minutes of memories and music in brilliant quality.... it is extraordinary that such an historic recording survives courtesy of Bill Randle and Mickey Nold... full of amazing facts and surprises... all the motown gang in the early glory days feature! If you are into Motown history, this is fascinating as it illustrates just how much talent there was in Detroit and how the various singers moved from group to group!

Love the part when CP Spencer is rendered speechless when he learns that "Suspicion" was big in the UK when he thought it had never seen the light of day, being unreleased.

Click on the orange arrow half way down the page to play the interview

http://science-of-soul.blogspot.co.u...9;+Radio+Show)
    Last edited by MIKEW-UK; 10-26-2016 at 05:14 PM.

Wow, I am very happy that many of the Motown Artists like CP were interviewed and recorded now that they are no longer with us. Thank you Mike.

Thanks, MIKEW-UK. Back in 1970 or '71, I attended an Undisputed Truth concert at a college in western New York state. For whatever reason, the Undisputed Truth couldn't make it. To fill in, Motown sent The Originals instead. WOW! What a show! Those guys were FANTASTIC! They were every bit as good live as they were on record -- maybe even better! I left that show feeling proud as ever to be a Motown fan.

The interview is broadcast at 256 in mp3 format so the quality is very good..... the option is there to download or stream.

Absolutely fabulous. Thanks for the link.

Guys, thanks for the responses..... I thought the post was going to completely die due to lack of interest....I always thought the Originals were very highly rated but there doesn't seem to be the interest on the forum I was anticipating.. shame as it's such a great piece of story telling and history of Motown and how it was to be on the roster by a talented group of guys.

Anyway glad you liked it and thanks for the feedback
    Mike

I'm always interested in The Originals. I know who sings what parts in their songs, but I thought the [[very knowledgeable) interviewer might have homed in on this aspect a little more

As a big Originals fan I loved this..so many of my favourites [[ although I could add a few of my own)I'd have pressed him on their backup sessions...so vital to Motown tracks 66-70.
    Is there a reissue label out there considering the Originals albums? Please !

First heard this on a tape of bootleg unissued
    Thought it was Eddie Holland
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BDsTYK-A1C4

It's very interesting to hear the reaction to Suspicion.
    C.P clearly remembers the song. [[1966). In fact the group rerecorded a version in 1971 I believe [[although this version is not listed on DFTMC). If 1971 was the correct date, the group were still at Motown. They must have thought that the song was worth another go.
    Many artists often don't remember released songs, so for C.P and the group to remember a track unissued from 1966 says something about this brilliant record. [[ and there are 3 1966 versions too).

I think Bill misleads C.P. into thinking the track was legimately issued in the UK on 45, and sold well. It was a big Northern Soul record.
    It was played off acetate and tapes....no doubt bootlegs surfaced and were bought, but it was extremely popular.
    Many US artists are told that certain records are BIG in the UK...they mistakenly believe that the disc was a chart hit....a different kettle of fish altogether.

I think The Originals played Manchester in 2002?? I missed it as I was on holiday abroad. Did C.P. appear? He sadly died in 2004.

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 790
Size:  21.1 KB
    I can't get the C.P. Spencer interview to play. Anyone else have that problem? Could it be thatmy audio playing programmes aren't modern enough?

Larry they appeared at Dj Richard searling's 50th do at the ritz. Cp did not appear, terrie Dixon took his place

This looks like it would be a very interesting interview.

Has anyone heard the Originals' Fantasy era albums, "Another Time, Another Place" and "Come Away With Me." I never even knew until today that they had recorded after Motown. I see the two LPs are available on a CD, but it's very expensive on Ebay and looks [[IMHO) like it may be a bootleg, though I'm not sure of that.

Anyway, if you've heard these albums, please tell me about them.

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
Views: 790
    I can't get the C.P. Spencer interview to play. Anyone else have that problem? Could it be thatmy audio playing programmes aren't modern enough?
    I didn't listen to the whole interview yet, but I checked and it plays fine. I can't tell what app it's using...it looks kind of like Spotify. But you should get an error message as to why it can't play it, somewhere.

Thanks Soulwally
    I remember Richard plugging the Ritz event but as I say , I missed it.
    Sadly it seems C.P. didn't make it to the UK.

BTW just bought the Jimmy Ruffin CD on Elemental. The mixing is amazing, it sounds like an Originals album on some songs. In fact I've written to them re Originals albums...you never know.

Views: 753
    Were all the rest of you able to hear the interview? Anyone else not able?

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
Views: 753
    Were all the rest of you able to hear the interview? Anyone else not able?
    Worked fine for me on my iPhone, robb_k.

Snakepit, "You Want Hearts And Flowers" has remained one of my all-time favorite Originals AND favorite Motown tracks since back in the day. The guys' vocal harmoniess are top-notch, as always, the melody is gorgeous, and those elegant, string-laden musical arrangements by Paul Riser and/or David Van DePitte can't be beat. Great stuff, for sure!

I have the albums, they have some excellent tracks but the truth is as brilliant as The Originals the material did not match the Motown standard.

Robb, do you see the orange arrow and file half way down the page? If not the browser or device are inhibiting the sound file link and therefore you have nothing to click on. Let me know. Cheers. Mike

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEW-UK View Post
    I have the albums, they have some excellent tracks but the truth is as brilliant as The Originals the material did not match the Motown standard.
    Whilst respecting your opinion Mike, I think the Originals stuff from this time period rates very highly with other Motown product I say that after spending 3 days entering all the tracks from TCMS sets from 1970 to 1972....some decidedly dodgy stuff issued there)

Yes, Mike, I agree. There were a few Originals albums where I only liked a couple of tracks. But, to me, those good tracks make The Originals' albums/CD's a joy to own. I won't rest easy until I have "Naturally Together", "Definitions", "Game Called Love", and "Communique" in my CD collection. Also needed/craved is The Originals' outstanding [[and, I think) final Soul single "There's A Chance When You Love You'll Lose" which deserved to be a huge hit but wasn't, and never even appeared on an Originals album. A total and unfortunate loss.
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 10-31-2016 at 11:22 AM.

Robb, do you see the orange arrow and file half way down the page? If not the browser or device are inhibiting the sound file link and therefore you have nothing to click on. Let me know. Cheers. Mike
Views: 692
    I see now that it's a "Zippy" file, and I get a pop-up menu that invites me to download it as an MP3 file. When I clicked on the "Download button", 2 extra full page windows came up, and I also got a full page extra page message that the download is dangerous to my machine [[e.g. malware), and also 2 small virus alerts, so I got out instantly. I have only Macs, and I use Windows Media Player, and Flip For Mac to play PC oriented videos, other than having the Apple-oriented media player that is built into my computers.

Robb, even if you don't want to download, you should be able to stream it safely. It is worth persevering to hear a great interview, furthermore a fantastic interview with Louvaine Demps of The Andantes is to be made available in the same format!!

Robb, even if you don't want to download, you should be able to stream it safely. It is worth persevering to hear a great interview, furthermore a fantastic interview with Louvaine Demps of The Andantes is to be made available in the same format!!
    When I clicked on the start arrow to just hear the interview without downloading, the sound oscillations were moving, but I heard no sound. So, I must not have a compatible audio player. I use Windows Media Player for The Mac, Flip For Mac, and the original audio/video players that come with my Macs when bought. I also have the latest Adobe Flash Player.

Who knows what Mac compatible audio or media player I can use to hear this Zippy File?

Soulwally

Can you check your inbox please

Thanks John. You should have a reply

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    Thanks, MIKEW-UK. Back in 1970 or '71, I attended an Undisputed Truth concert at a college in western New York state. For whatever reason, the Undisputed Truth couldn't make it. To fill in, Motown sent The Originals instead. WOW! What a show! Those guys were FANTASTIC! They were every bit as good live as they were on record -- maybe even better! I left that show feeling proud as ever to be a Motown fan.
    Hey Gary, I know this thread is six months old and you probably won't even get this message or reply [[lol), but I have an enquiry to make...

You say you were going to see The Undisputed Truth live in concert? I was always under the impression that the group were just, well, singers put together in the studio... that they were an assembled studio group, and not really a live act. But that's great to hear. Did you ever get to go and see them again, without being cancelled on?

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Hey Gary, I know this thread is six months old and you probably won't even get this message or reply [[lol), but I have an enquiry to make...

You say you were going to see The Undisputed Truth live in concert? I was always under the impression that the group were just, well, singers put together in the studio... that they were an assembled studio group, and not really a live act. But that's great to hear. Did you ever get to go and see them again, without being cancelled on?
    Tom, I'm not Gary, but I can assure you that they were an actual touring band. I remember a friend of my sister's going to see them in my hometown during what must have been the Taka Boom years; the friend's review was pretty harsh.

Hey Tom! Yes, the original lineup of the Undisputed Truth -- Joe Harris, Billie Calvin, and Brenda Evans -- were indeed a real Motown group [[not just a studio concoction). In fact, when I toured Motown's Donovan Building in October 1971, I had my picture taken with them. No kiddin'! Our tour guide and us were just getting on the elevator as Billie, Brenda, and Marv Johnson were stepping off. Naturally, I recognized Billie and Brenda immediately which led to a nice conversation! At the time, Motown didn't permit cameras inside the building, so Billie, Brenda, and Marv agreed to go outside for a personal photo session. The pictures came out really nice. The girls look just like they did on their album covers. They were the real deal!

An ad for shows in Baltimore in 1973 .....
    Attachment 12920

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Tom, I'm not Gary, but I can assure you that they were an actual touring band. I remember a friend of my sister's going to see them in my hometown during what must have been the Taka Boom years; the friend's review was pretty harsh.
    Thanks sansradio! Great to hear.

Yea, by 1976 the group had been reduced to a quartet with Taka Boom out front. Shame about your friend's bad review; I always thought they were a great line-up!! I believe there is footage of this group performing their original 1971 hit "Smiling Faces", complete with face paint and huge afros...

Thanks sansradio! Great to hear.

Yea, by 1976 the group had been reduced to a quartet with Taka Boom out front. Shame about your friend's bad review; I always thought they were a great line-up!! I believe there is footage of this group performing their original 1971 hit "Smiling Faces", complete with face paint and huge afros...
    Yep, I've seen that clip on YouTube. Taka's mannerisms are a dead ringer for her more famous sister.

Hey Tom! Yes, the original lineup of the Undisputed Truth -- Joe Harris, Billie Calvin, and Brenda Evans -- were indeed a real Motown group [[not just a studio concoction). In fact, when I toured Motown's Donovan Building in October 1971, I had my picture taken with them. No kiddin'! Our tour guide and us were just getting on the elevator as Billie, Brenda, and Marv Johnson were stepping off. Naturally, I recognized Billie and Brenda immediately which led to a nice conversation! At the time, Motown didn't permit cameras inside the building, so Billie
    , Brenda, and Marv agreed to go outside for a personal photo session. The pictures came out really nice. The girls look just like they did on their album covers. They were the real deal!
    Gary, that's so great!! The Undisputed Truth AND Marv Johnson?! Amazing!

You know, I do believe Brenda was only about 18 at that time. But The Truth were all, still, a great group.

Hey, Gary, do you still have that photo!!!?

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith View Post
    An ad for shows in Baltimore in 1973 .....
    Attachment 12920
    Thanks jsmith! It's great seeing the name 'The Undisputed Truth' on a advert like that...!

You know, that must have been one of the last performances by the original group, as Brenda and Billie would leave shortly after. Interesting!

Gary, that's so great!! The Undisputed Truth AND Marv Johnson?! Amazing!

You know, I do believe Brenda was only about 18 at that time. But The Truth were all, still, a great group.

Hey, Gary, do you still have that photo!!!?
    Yes, Tom, I do still have those photos! I would gladly share them if only I knew how to upload them. [[Bear with me, however, as I'm right in the middle of moving and getting settled in my new apartment -- a stressful chore requiring my undivided attention.)

Yes, Tom, I do still have those photos! I would gladly share them if only I knew how to upload them. [[Bear with me, however, as I'm right in the middle of moving and getting settled in my new apartment -- a stressful chore requiring my undivided attention.)
    Oh, no worries, Gary! Good luck with your move.

If you get time, here is the TomatoTom guide to uploading photos:

Firstly make sure you're on a computer or phone where the photo is saved. If you're on a phone make sure your webpage is in 'desktop view'. Then, in the 'reply to thread' box, there is a little icon on the far right that looks like a picture of a tree. Click that! A window pops up entitled 'insert image' and then click 'choose file'. Then, find your photo from where it is saved, and click it. Then click 'upload file[[s)' and the photo will be inserted into your post! You can type in the post as well and when you are finished, click 'post quick reply' as normal. Vwa-la!!!!

If you get time, here is the TomatoTom guide to uploading photos:

Firstly make sure you're on a computer or phone where the photo is saved. If you're on a phone make sure your webpage is in 'desktop view'. Then, in the 'reply to thread' box, there is a little icon on the far right that looks like a picture of a tree. Click that! A window pops up entitled 'insert image' and then click 'choose file'. Then, find your photo from where it is saved, and click it. Then click 'upload file[[s)' and the photo will be inserted into your post! You can type in the post as well and when you are finished, click 'post quick reply' as normal. Vwa-la!!!!
    Allow me to perform a demonstration...

Name:  IMG_6103.jpg
Views: 489
Size:  98.2 KB

This is what I get up to at my local supermarket...

Allow me to perform a demonstration...

Name:  IMG_6103.jpg
Views: 489
Size:  98.2 KB

This is what I get up to at my local supermarket...
    hahahahaha. that's it Tom spread the word.

Quote Originally Posted by McMotown View Post
    hahahahaha. that's it Tom spread the word.
    Haaaaa... yes, I just loved hearing people shout out 'I love Motown...!?'

HaHa, Tom! Thanks for the instructions, -- and your delightful sense of humor! I'll try uploading those Undisputed Truth photos when I get a chance. Right now, I'm up to my neck in boxes that need unpacking. [[Puke!) Thanks for your good wishes!

You are very welcome, Gary! Glad you liked the photo too...

And don't feel like you have to rush with those photos. Get that unpacking done first... blech! Good luck again