[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

The Supremes A Go-Go; #1

The Supremes "A Go-Go" was released August 25th, 1966.

It reached #1 on the Billboard 200 on October 22nd, 1966, and stayed there until November 4th, 1966.

[[Fun fact: Scherrie Payne's birthday is November 4th.)

It was preceded by "Revolver" by The Beatles, and succeeded by the Dr. Zhivago soundtrack.

It reached #1 on the Billboard R&B albums also on October 22, 1966, but stayed there until November 18th, 1966.

It was preceded AND succeeded by "Soulin" by Lou Rawls.

What I find so interesting about that is that, as much as Top 40 radio is disrespected or has a reputation for being low brow or "entertainment for the masses," look how broad the playlist was. You could hear the Beatles, the Supremes, Percy Faith [[I think he did "Somewhere My Love" from Dr. Zhivago), Dean Martin, the Rolling Stones, the Parliaments [[pre Funkadelic), and so many other artists all on one station. The baloney is sliced so thin now that enterprises like Pandora thrive on very deep but not very broad catalogs. I think the Top 40 stations from back in the day had a lot going for them that people tend to forget.

I totally agree Kenneth.

Wasn't You Keep Me Hangin On #1 soon after this LP went to #1 ??

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    Wasn't You Keep Me Hangin On #1 soon after this LP went to #1 ??
    I think you are correct. According to Wikipedia, Supremes AGo Go was released on August 25, 1966.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Supremes_A%27_Go-Go

And "You Keep Me Hanging' On" which would be on their next album, was released as a single on October 12, 1966, just a little over two months later.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Su...2%80%93Holland

thinking out loud but The Wiz cd was released last nov 27 so I am hoping A GO GO may be in our near future

I believe Motown/Universal has to take some responsible for not placing more emphasis on historical recordings. It's unfair to expect radio to remember such significant facts like "A Go Go" being the first album by a female group to be #1. Also significant is the fact that it knocked "Revolver" out of #1. "Revolver" is considered a n important turning point in The Beatles history. Now that Universal also owns EMI catalog, let's see if they continue creating events out of The Beatles catalog. [[They just recently did with the re-release of "Hard Days Night" movie and album). No slight to TLC because I worked those records. But I cringe when I read they are the Best Selling Female Group, without Motown/Universal explaining that it was just not possible in the 60s to sell 10 million album's on a single release like TLC "CrazySexyCool". The fact that "Where Did Our Love Go" album sold over 4 million in 1964 is amazing. I don't think The Beatles began selling multi-millions on a release until the late 60s like on "Magical Mystery Tour". Remember "platinum" did not become a standard certification level until the 70s.
    It really is Motown/Universal's responsibility to promote and market their Supremes catalog as events. While the Expanded Editions are welcomed, they were marketed to a niche fan base. Articles in Rolling Stone, Billboard, press releases would awaken the masses to these important milestones. Mr. Gordy would not have ghetto-tize these releases. Just my opinion.
    Hasn't The Beatles been given The Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award? Where are The Supremes? Both groups lasted a decade, [[excluding The Supremes 70s because just like the Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame, it would probably be given to Diana, Flo and Mary).
    Last edited by Bokiluis; 10-28-2016 at 07:42 AM.

4 Million copies wow. And to think Mary and Diana got only $100,000 when Diana left!! Great points Bokiluis!

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    4 Million copies wow. And to think Mary and Diana got only $100,000 when Diana left!! Great points Bokiluis!
    That's based on the list of Supremes albums and single sales that has been floating around for several years so I cannot vouch for its accuracy. But it certainly sounds close, I trust.

Remember they got 3 cents a record, split evenly. If anyone knows differently please let us know. But I'm fairly certain Mary stated that to be so. I greatly admire Mr. Gordy, but, I cringe when I read how acts were compensated.
    Fast forward a few decades, when Whitney Houston's debut hit 2 million, her mgmt demanded to renegotiate her contract. Unfortunately, Motown's business practices were so incestous and the ladies a bit naive, they lacked business acumen. Motown spared no expense The Supremes broke, but, it was also recoupable in Motown's favor. That's fairly well documented.

Quote Originally Posted by Bokiluis View Post
    That's based on the list of Supremes albums and single sales that has been floating around for several years so I cannot vouch for its accuracy. But it certainly sounds close, I trust.

Remember they got 3 cents a record, split evenly. If anyone knows differently please let us know. But I'm fairly certain Mary stated that to be so. I greatly admire Mr. Gordy, but, I cringe when I read how acts were compensated.
    Fast forward a few decades, when Whitney Houston's debut hit 2 million, her mgmt demanded to renegotiate her contract. Unfortunately, Motown's business practices were so incestous and the ladies a bit naive, they lacked business acumen. Motown spared no expense The Supremes broke, but, it was also recoupable in Motown's favor. That's fairly well documented.

Well, sure, and remember they were just kids when they were signed, had no legal representation, and Johnnie, Mary's mother who signed for Mary, couldn't even read. How balanced is that?

Can you imagine the money they'd make today with 12 number ones, greatest hits, separate management etc?! I think Diana also said The $100,000 figure.[[and I imagine Mary would have gotten a fortune if she hadn't settled with Motown to get a record deal. I believe she also had to agree not to sue them again. )
    Last edited by luke; 10-27-2016 at 11:41 PM.

Can you imagine the money they'd make today with 12 number ones, greatest hits, separate management etc?! I think Diana also said The $100,000 figure.[[and I imagine Mary would have gotten a fortune if she hadn't settled with Motown to get a record deal. I believe she also had to agree not to sue them again. )
    Diana is the only one that gets royalties from her entire career. But her fortune really came in the late 70s and she formed Diana Ross Enterprises. The first successful venture was her first HBO special. And then her $20 mil from RCA and her initial EMI deal which has proven quite lucrative globally. I was perplexed why Mary also signed away her royalties. I remember when Diana did the "Symphonica en Rosso" concerts in Arnhem, Holland, her albums practically dominated The Netherlands iTunes Top 20, granted it was a small country but 2/soldout 40,000 venue shows had to be significant.
    It saddens me if there's any truth to the article where Mary claims she still has to work. Like her or not, Diana learned great business acumen after Motown. And she cannot be excused of stepping on others to build her fortune. That comes from smart dealings and hard work.

Wow - a respectful Supremes/Diana thread.
    How'd that happen?

[[Although, when will "they" stop by to make it nasty?)

I couldn't be more thrilled that A Go Go is coming out. I don't care what format they release, however, I would buy at least 2 Lps and 2 CDs if they came out on both. If they only release digital, I'll buy that too. I'd buy it on 8-track, cassette tape or 78rpm. Probably shellack cylinders too.

Not sure what you mean. Mary did not sign her royalties away. Just recently I saw an interview where she said thank God she didn't

Perhaps the confusion lies with royalties having been signed away by Cindy Birdsong. I believe I've read [[here on SDF, if I recall correctly) that when she needed some income in the early 1980s, she took a lump sum of cash in exchange for signing away her royalties for the Supremes recordings. Maybe not the wisest decision in hindsight, but who know then that there would still be a market for the music today? As Luke pointed out, Mary hasn't signed away her royalties. I wish all the ladies got something in terms of royalties. They all deserve something for the joy and pleasure they've given so many people over the years with their music.

Well put danman. Especially considering Cindys current situation it would have been good to have those royalties. You gotta give it to Mary for hanging onto them even when she was struggling in the 80s.PS. Have record companies changed and now provide some sort of health insurance?

Wow, so they were one of the first recording acts [[after Elvis, Stevie Wonder and the Beatles) to have a simultaneous #1 album and single? That's very significant. Also significant: their reign on the top albums chart was up for a good while.

I have a question though: were they the FIRST African American group to get a number one album on the pop charts? I couldn't find any other black act that had a number one ALBUM before the Supremes and we know how R&B acts were set back racially in those times...

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Wow, so they were one of the first recording acts [[after Elvis, Stevie Wonder and the Beatles) to have a simultaneous #1 album and single? That's very significant. Also significant: their reign on the top albums chart was up for a good while.

I have a question though: were they the FIRST African American group to get a number one album on the pop charts? I couldn't find any other black act that had a number one ALBUM before the Supremes and we know how R&B acts were set back racially in those times...
    I'm not sure who was the first African American act to hit #1 on the Billboard top 200, but Little Stevie Wonder was the first Motown act to reach the pinnacle. Also, Johnny Mathis also reached the top with his greatest hits album. I assume there are others I am unaware of...

I should've said group lol

I should've said group lol
    Oops, I should have read more closely! lol

Stevie's albums are released on the sub division Tamla label... his #1 album was a product of 'Motown Records Corp."...Supremes A Go Go was the first #1 album on the "Motown Records" label..not Boyz II Men or Mary Wells.. not Lionel Richie or The Four Tops..not Michael Jackson or The Jackson 5.. and not Diana Ross..just The Supremes PERIOD!
    Last edited by Jimi LaLumia; 10-29-2016 at 05:21 PM.

Royalties today probably are a few thousand dollars only

Mary never had an opportunity to renegotiate her rate and sales are very sparse now

Downloads would never have been mentioned in contracts from years ago; I wonder if they pay anything at all for that or for streaming to any 60s artists

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi LaLumia View Post
    Stevie's albums are released on the sub division Tamla label... Supremes A Go Go was the first #1 album on the "Motown Records" label..PERIOD!
    Ahhh Motown and its sub-labels.

I'm sure the Suoremes as noted above still sell consistently as they have for many years A few thousand would certainly help Cindy.

i am not sure I understand the comment about MW, apparently HAVING to work? she lives in Vegas in a 9 million $ house. I'm sure if she needs cash, she can sell it.

didn't YKMHO shoot to #1 in like 4 weeks, their fastest selling single

Yeah I think so.

As for the MW comment, just ignore it. People like to start drama for no reason like it's a J. Randy Taraborelli book lol

The Supremes got 3 cents per LP but that was AFTER deductions of costs of unreleased tracks,limos,flowers and anything else Gordy felt like fleecing them for..in 30 yrs living in New Zealand ive only ever seen one copy of "A Go Go" LP in a secound hand store its easy to get most of their vinyl catalog except for this gem..i personally love this album nearly every track could have been a hit single its the ultimate 1960s "rent party" album..destined to kick off any party with a bang and Mary & Flos blend together is sublime I suspect it hasnt got a re-release deluxe because theres basically nothing left in the vault to use for it..we cant complain the stream of unreleased tracks weve been treated with is staggering - the well has nearly run dry

Quote Originally Posted by nomis View Post
    The Supremes got 3 cents per LP but that was AFTER deductions of costs of unreleased tracks,limos,flowers and anything else Gordy felt like fleecing them for..in 30 yrs living in New Zealand ive only ever seen one copy of "A Go Go" LP in a secound hand store its easy to get most of their vinyl catalog except for this gem..i personally love this album nearly every track could have been a hit single its the ultimate 1960s "rent party" album..destined to kick off any party with a bang and Mary & Flos blend together is sublime I suspect it hasnt got a re-release deluxe because theres basically nothing left in the vault to use for it..we cant complain the stream of unreleased tracks weve been treated with is staggering - the well has nearly run dry
    there is a newer version of Love Is Like Heawave that was found , that is also not the same version on Sing HDH lp. also there were plenty of out takes from this album including Can I GET A WITNESS, IN MY LONELY ROOM, JUST A LITTLE MISUNDERSTANDING, MOTHER DEAR REMIX, CANT GET NO SATISFACTION, ITS NOT UNUSUAL, UPTIGHT and a few other I cant remember.
    I think disc 1 will be mono and stereo version while disc two will have out takes and new mixes

didn't YKMHO shoot to #1 in like 4 weeks, their fastest selling single
    I thought it was even shorter than that, but you may be right. I remember local stations at one point would play it once an hour....usually at the top of the hour.

Think it went 65-15-7-1

Think it went 65-15-7-1
    that's still pretty fast! LOL!

Think it went 65-15-7-1
    And deservedly so, probably my all-time fave Supremes track

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    And deservedly so, probably my all-time fave Supremes track
    I love it too. It's a brilliant arrangement. I love the way the guitar [[Robert White?) sounds like an S-O-S being played on a harpsichord almost. No cover of this song could ever duplicate that lick.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    I love it too. It's a brilliant arrangement. I love the way the guitar [[Robert White?) sounds like an S-O-S being played on a harpsichord almost. No cover of this song could ever duplicate that lick.
    Yes, I love that, like a morse code thing!! And the "and there ain't nothing I can do about it" bit is one of my favourite ever lines!!! Lol

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Yes, I love that, like a morse code thing!! And the "and there ain't nothing I can do about it" bit is one of my favourite ever lines!!! Lol
    That's right! I couldn't think what that was called.

The vocal shows that Diane could really sing with soul, when she wanted to. It just wasn't her "go to" style.

I love this period of the supremes,,,MY WORLD IS EMPTY, LOVE IS AN ITCHING, YOU KEEP ME HANGIN ON are some of my favorites and I think they're best

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    That's right! I couldn't think what that was called.

The vocal shows that Diane could really sing with soul, when she wanted to. It just wasn't her "go to" style.
    Yes, I think "You Keep Me Hangin' On" and "Love Is Like An Itching In My Heart" were soulful indeed. You could even say "Hangin'" was a bit funky!

I think YKMHO was also their most straight ahead rock and roll number.

I think YKMHO was also their most straight ahead rock and roll number.
    I think you're right. There was even an extended, more acid rock cover of it, by Vanilla Fudge just a year or 2 after the Supremes version.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I thought it was even shorter than that, but you may be right. I remember local stations at one point would play it once an hour....usually at the top of the hour.
    Marv i used to take my transistor radio to bed and wait till they played it at the top of the hour on WKNR!!

Quote Originally Posted by nomis View Post
    Damn $.03, that's another thread! I think the Sups got fleeced with all the "costs" billed back to them. They needed independent audits back then.

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    Marv i used to take my transistor radio to bed and wait till they played it at the top of the hour on WKNR!!
    I use to keep my transistor in the pillow case. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    For a while when I was a teenager, my family's nickname for me was "Keener" or even "Keener Guide," because I studied the weekly WKNR 13 [[which they always referred to on the radio as "Keener 13') Music Guides as if they held the mystery of the ages! I'm sure because it was kind of a play on my real name made it easier to dub me with it as well.

Ahhh Motown and its sub-labels.
    As Mr. Gordy shared, creating the subsidiary labels was a minor stroke of brilliance especially in regards to AirPlay. Since pre-Civil Rights were chosen by a quota system of sorts, Mainstream and even pop radio, resisted playing 1) Music by non-white artists. AND 2) Too many records from the same record company/labels....this was a clever way to attain "Motown's unequal/fair share of AirPlay...it beat "conservative" radio/music programmers by their own game and gave Motown collectively more shots.
    By the mid-60s when Motown went into overdrive and were amazingly prolific, more Motown artists/records got exposure than they might have had if they were all released under one label name.
    Motown wouldn't ever have been able to attain, the still unbeatable milestone [[I think) in one serendipitous week in December 1968 of owning 5 of the Top 10 singles in Billboard by one record company. [[Add in the exploding "Baby, Baby Don't Cry" and one other, to have 7 of the Top 20/Billboard Hot 100 singles.
    I surmised that maybe the thought of certain artists placed on a given label possibly reflected the area of focus of individual acts:
    A) Motown Records - pop/soul [[The Supremes, The Four Tops, Tammi Terrell [[solo)
    B) Tamla - self-contained singer/songwriter/producer [[Smokey Robinson & The Miracles, Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye). However, it could be argued that Tamla was created long before artists were granted that full artistic freedom in 1970.
    C) Gordy - classic soul/pop [[The Temptations, Martha Reeves & the Vandellas, etc.)
    D) Soul - classic organic soul [[Gladys Knight & The Pips, Jr. Walker & the All Stars)
    E) Rare Earth - rock/pop [[Rare Earth, Meat Loaf, Xit, etc.)
    F) Melodyland - country [[T.G. Shepard, Pat Boone, Dorsey Burnette)
    G) CTI - jazz [[Grover Washington, Esther Phillips [[blues)
    H) Black Forum - spoken word [[Dr. M.L. King, Jr., Langston Hughes)

It is only my theory, and there are exceptions to almost every distinction.

ok on A GO GO ,with all the out takes ,what songs would you swap out............
    I would swap out some of the more laid back tracks, not a fan of Boots ...Sloopy....I would keep it all Motown.......add in Heatwave, Uptight or Can I Get a Witness

Things have gone quiet. Is this still due by years end? I would think it should be up for pre-order at least.

Yes still on.last year thecWiz was released Nov 28. I think universal wants to take advantage of Christmas shopping spree. But I totally agree.you would think some previews are in order!!!! But for whatever reason they have always kept Supremes related releases a mystery. Gf o figure.very frustrating. I like how iTunes gives sneak preview a couple of weeks in advance except Supremes related cds

Quote Originally Posted by Bokiluis View Post
    I believe Motown/Universal has to take some responsible for not placing more emphasis on historical recordings. It's unfair to expect radio to remember such significant facts like "A Go Go" being the first album by a female group to be #1. Also significant is the fact that it knocked "Revolver" out of #1. "Revolver" is considered a n important turning point in The Beatles history. Now that Universal also owns EMI catalog, let's see if they continue creating events out of The Beatles catalog. [[They just recently did with the re-release of "Hard Days Night" movie and album). No slight to TLC because I worked those records. But I cringe when I read they are the Best Selling Female Group, without Motown/Universal explaining that it was just not possible in the 60s to sell 10 million album's on a single release like TLC "CrazySexyCool". The fact that "Where Did Our Love Go" album sold over 4 million in 1964 is amazing. I don't think The Beatles began selling multi-millions on a release until the late 60s like on "Magical Mystery Tour". Remember "platinum" did not become a standard certification level until the 70s.
    It really is Motown/Universal's responsibility to promote and market their Supremes catalog as events. While the Expanded Editions are welcomed, they were marketed to a niche fan base. Articles in Rolling Stone, Billboard, press releases would awaken the masses to these important milestones. Mr. Gordy would not have ghetto-tize these releases. Just my opinion.
    Hasn't The Beatles been given The Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award? Where are The Supremes? Both groups lasted a decade, [[excluding The Supremes 70s because just like the Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame, it would probably be given to Diana, Flo and Mary).
    While I agree that Universal should market the albums in The Supremes catalog as events, I don't they'll do so. Ever since Universal merged with Capitol-EMI, they've put the Motown catalog on the back burner. They're content with having most of the Motown albums available as downloads [[as well as some on vinyl) and I'll be very surprised if they put any marketing muscle on the Motown catalog.

Yes still on.last year thecWiz was released Nov 28. I think universal wants to take advantage of Christmas shopping spree. But I totally agree.you would think some previews are in order!!!! But for whatever reason they have always kept Supremes related releases a mystery. Gf o figure.very frustrating. I like how iTunes gives sneak preview a couple of weeks in advance except Supremes related cds
    I thought it was going to be released on CD. Can anybody confirm that ?