[REMOVE ADS]

Diana Ross Hosting the Tonight Show

http://greginhollywood.com/saturday-...ht-show-136878

Not sure if this will work, but you might be able to watch the whole show here.

Didn't like when she sang these Broadway type songs rather than sing her new songs. She needed exposure for her solo work. Although she sounds good here.i think her best decade vocally

She had quite a guest list.

The beginning song sucked a bit though.

I remember when Baby Its Me was released. she was on the Tonight show. I satyed up on a school night to see her perform the new single. I was so angry when she came out singing Aint Nobodys Business......and no mention of the new album.i just went to bed and never finished the show

This was wonderful. I love how during the Muhammad Ali interview she looks down at her notes. It was a great reminder of how much she cared about doing things right.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    I remember when Baby Its Me was released. she was on the Tonight show. I satyed up on a school night to see her perform the new single. I was so angry when she came out singing Aint Nobodys Business......and no mention of the new album.i just went to bed and never finished the show
    She was also on the show early in 1977 promoting the An Evening With TV special. Although I did not see the show, I've read she performed The Lady Is A Tramp instead of something from Diana Ross '76. Was this a continuation of Berry Gordy's plan to showcase Diana as an all around entertainer, not just a singer promoting a new release? I wonder if, in hindsight, Motown recognizes the missed opportunities to promote product.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
    She was also on the show early in 1977 promoting the An Evening With TV special. Although I did not see the show, I've read she performed The Lady Is A Tramp instead of something from Diana Ross '76. Was this a continuation of Berry Gordy's plan to showcase Diana as an all around entertainer, not just a singer promoting a new release? I wonder if, in hindsight, Motown recognizes the missed opportunities to promote product.
    Yes. I saw this show. And was upset that she only sang The Lady Is a Tramp. Haven't seen this show since it aired.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
    I suspect that Diana was still operating under Motown/Berry's idea that their artists weren't only as big as their last hit record. I have since read that Diana actually tired of singing THE LADY IS A TRAMP and took it out of her AN EVENING WITH DIANA ROSS concert. When Berry saw the show, he asked her conductor Gil Askey why it wasn't in the show. When told that Diana was tired of singing it, Berry responded "Put it back in there."

I do remember the week that "Diana" [[1980) was released. She appeared on a Bob Hope special and mentioned that she had a new album. The set actually included multiple copies of the album cover. Yet she didn't sing any of its songs. She sang REACH OUT, AIN'T NO MOUNTAIN HIGH ENOUGH, and a medley of songs about flying with Bob.

There were many lost opportunities for promotion, but I think Motown knew that Diana was bigger than a hit record. Looking at her chart positions in the 70s, one could speculate that singles such as SURRENDER, I'M STILL WAITING, and others might have done better if she had performed them on tv. But then you look at smashes like UPSIDE DOWN, I'M COMING OUT, and IT'S MY TURN which she never performed on tv until after they had been hits. Even in the RCA days, she rarely did tv to promote her releases, relying on videos and her reputation. So who knows?

Yes Reese. I remember that Bob Hope special and thinking how could she have not done anything from her new album Diana, but had posters of it all over in the background .

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I suspect that Diana was still operating under Motown/Berry's idea that their artists weren't only as big as their last hit record. I have since read that Diana actually tired of singing THE LADY IS A TRAMP and took it out of her AN EVENING WITH DIANA ROSS concert. When Berry saw the show, he asked her conductor Gil Askey why it wasn't in the show. When told that Diana was tired of singing it, Berry responded "Put it back in there."

I do remember the week that "Diana" [[1980) was released. She appeared on a Bob Hope special and mentioned that she had a new album. The set actually included multiple copies of the album cover. Yet she didn't sing any of its songs. She sang REACH OUT, AIN'T NO MOUNTAIN HIGH ENOUGH, and a medley of songs about flying with Bob.

There were many lost opportunities for promotion, but I think Motown knew that Diana was bigger than a hit record. Looking at her chart positions in the 70s, one could speculate that singles such as SURRENDER, I'M STILL WAITING, and others might have done better if she had performed them on tv. But then you look at smashes like UPSIDE DOWN, I'M COMING OUT, and IT'S MY TURN which she never performed on tv until after they had been hits. Even in the RCA days, she rarely did tv to promote her releases, relying on videos and her reputation. So who knows?
    I remember that special as well Reese. I fully expected something from "diana" and was really curious since a first single hadn't been released at that time.

That Bob Hope Special was a heartbreaker. The stage looked sensational with all the "diana" album covers. Not a single song from the album was sung. On "The Boss" and nearly every subsequent album but "Ross '83", she dug deep into albums and here "diana" sells nearly 10 million copies worldwide [[6 in the states alone). All we get is "Upside Down" and "I'm Coming Out"? Though supposedly decades later she does a one-off of "Have Fun [[Again)". Was she that disconnected and unhappy about her most successful solo album? Were those songs difficult to do live? On "Force Behind the Power", she reportedly rehearsed the remix of "Waiting in the Wings". I was so disappointed and confused. And when she launched the "Red Hot Rhythm and Blues Tour", I kept yelling "Cross My Heart" and "Tell Me Again". She kept looking in my direction because in fairness the album wasn't out. I had an advance cassette. Remember those? But not even "Dirty Looks" which KSOL had been playing quite a bit. Love the lady but she confuses me sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bokiluis View Post
    That Bob Hope Special was a heartbreaker. The stage looked sensational with all the "diana" album covers. Not a single song from the album was sung. On "The Boss" and nearly every subsequent album but "Ross '83", she dug deep into albums and here "diana" sells nearly 10 million copies worldwide [[6 in the states alone). All we get is "Upside Down" and "I'm Coming Out"?.
    I remember in the fall of 1980, she came to Providence,RI for multiple shows. I didn't see any of them, but I read the review. I was expecting that she would have added a bunch of "diana" songs to the act. I was very surprised to read that she had only added UPSIDE DOWN and I'M COMING OUT, and the rest of the show was basicially the same as the year before, with many songs from THE BOSS.

Maybe she didn't have time or $$ to have charts done or enough rehearsal time.

She did a great job hosting the Tonight Show. I loved the segment with Ali. Thinking back now, I had met three of the individuals on that show. Diane, Ali and Alex Haley.

by the late 70s of the time of these "Tonight" show apperances Diana and Berry barely had any contact or interaction Depasse and Roshkind looked after her..Berry still had the custom to visit her backstage at her shows but in several minutes they would usually start arguing as witnessed by Taraborelli or Warhol on different occasions..what people dont understand today is what a huge coup for motown and a tribute to how popular and Diana was respected at the time in the industry it was for Diana to guest host 'Tonight" this gig was offered to less than a select handful of show buisness elite and is a testament to her standing and impact in the 1970s which is sadly usually over looked

Quote Originally Posted by nomis View Post
    by the late 70s of the time of these "Tonight" show apperances Diana and Berry barely had any contact or interaction Depasse and Roshkind looked after her..Berry still had the custom to visit her backstage at her shows but in several minutes they would usually start arguing as witnessed by Taraborelli or Warhol on different occasions..what people dont understand today is what a huge coup for motown and a tribute to how popular and Diana was respected at the time in the industry it was for Diana to guest host 'Tonight" this gig was offered to less than a select handful of show buisness elite and is a testament to her standing and impact in the 1970s which is sadly usually over looked
    She told me this was one of her career highlights and i can fully understand why.

When I found out by surprise that Diana was hosting the Tonight Show, I made sure to "reserve" the tv for that night. I was spending the summer with my grandparents and there was only one tv.