[REMOVE ADS]

Chris Clark Rarity

Boy, I bet this is a rarity that some Chris Clark fans would love to own! LOL

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1437
Size:  10.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
    Boy, I bet this is a rarity that some Chris Clark fans would love to own! LOL

Views: 1437
Size:  10.7 KB
    I had it on UK Tamla Motown. Absolute cracker that still moves me and thrills me to this day. Garage Band Motown!!

Yes, I love the track, also. But did you look closely to see why I actually posted this particular rarity?

"Mad" instead of "Bad." What a hoot!

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    A hoot indeed! I didn't spot it...

Two things jump out at me about this label: The error in the song's title and the "PROMO COPY NOT FOR SALE" text. This is the first full color promo label I have ever seen from Motown.

It is also interesting that the first pressing of Chris's album SOUL SOUNDS LP was on the VIP label and then was suddenly changed to the Motown label. As they used to say, "Things that make you go hmmmmmmm............ :-)

Now longtimefan that is news to me. I always thought the album was only released on Motown. Do you know what catalogue number was assigned to it on VIP?

Quote Originally Posted by motownjohnny View Post
    Now longtimefan that is news to me. I always thought the album was only released on Motown. Do you know what catalogue number was assigned to it on VIP?
    Here it is. ItName:  12642435_10153939566401204_3104860959440057567_n.jpg
Views: 1106
Size:  41.0 KB looks like VIP 402 or 403.

RossHolloway Guest
    I never knew this. How long have you had the album and where did you find it.

Quote Originally Posted by RossHolloway View Post
    I never knew this. How long have you had the album and where did you find it.
    I don't own this personally. My own copy is a MOTOWN label release. I don't know any more about it. Maybe it was never released in VIP -- although singles were; however, the art work appears authentic.

Views: 1058
Size:  10.3 KB

The Supremes first started out on the Tamla label at Motown in 1961 with I WANT A GUY and then BUTTERED POPCORN; a switch to the Motown label in 1962 occurred with LET ME GO THE RIGHT WAY. I'd be interested to know what went into the decision for the label re-assignment.

Maybe because they and Chris Clark were faves if Berry and Motown was highest profile label.

Do people have copies of her Weed release ?

And the song title on album cover reads Love Gone Bad not Love's Gone Bad!

That VIP cover is an interesting one. There are a few differences between that one and the released version, including the colours used [[the song titles are red on the released cover) and the colours and size of the aura around Chris as well as the spelling of "Love's Gone Bad".

Early proof art work or an April fool lol.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    That VIP cover is an interesting one. There are a few differences between that one and the released version, including the colours used [[the song titles are red on the released cover) and the colours and size of the aura around Chris as well as the spelling of "Love's Gone Bad".

Early proof art work or an April fool lol.
    David Bianco's Heat Wave lists VIP 402 as The Abbey Tavern Singers and VIP 403 as Chuck Jackson. His discography lists no VIP albums by Chris. It also lists her Weed Album as Weed 801 released 11/69 entitled CC Rides Again.

I may not have the 45 but I do have her performing 'Love's gone bad' from WTAI 1966

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 728
Size:  21.1 KB
    That was the proposed LP Mock-up. It was never released on VIP, but switched to Motown, as Chris was switched to that label for her next 45 release. VIP 402 was The Abbey Tavern Singers. 403 was a different artist [[group). Here is a link to VIP's LP discography:
    http://www.bsnpubs.com/motown/vip/vip.html

I also saw at Motown, while working there, mock-ups for The Four Tops' Workshop Jazz LP, and Marv Johnson's Gordy LP, and others that never were released in USA.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    It's a hoot alright. I've seen the picture of "Love's Gone Bad" [[with the misprint of "Love's Gone Mad") with the entry of the song on "TCMS-1966". I sometimes wonder what would've happened if Chris Clark actually recorded the song under the title "Love's Gone Bad".

Ian Levine cheekily pinched the title "Love's Gone Mad" for a release by the group, Seventh Avenue.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Do people have copies of her Weed release ?
    I stumbled on CC Rides Again in a cut-out bin in 1970. I was shopping with my college roommate and he picked it up and said, "Isn't this Chris Clark?" She was credited only as "CC," and the Weed imprint gave no indication that was a Motown subsidiary. Thus, l was unsure, but when I looked at the back and saw that it was produced by Deke Richards and arranged by David Van dePitte, it was clear that it was indeed Chris. I was disappointed when I played it, expecting another Soul Sounds, but it was mostly tepid covers and I didn't listen to it very much. It seemed like more attention was paid to the cover, which featured an open-up flap with a double-truck collage of very strange photos of Chris, not to mention the back cover where she's shown supposedly astride an elephant but all you see is the elephant's butt with Chris's head pasted as if peering over it. The label's logo was an obvious parody of Stax's, but instead of fingers snapping, the fingers are splayed out in a peace sign. The slogan, "Your Favorite Artists are on Weed," was probably correct, because the whole bizarre effort seemed like something you'd think up while stoned!
    Last edited by BigAl; 10-05-2016 at 07:40 AM.

I mean, what were they thinking?

Many years ago, I saw a copy of "CC Rides Again" on Spanish Tamla Motown in a Record & Tape Exchange shop.

Only seen the photos of CC Rides Again at the Discogs website. Chris Clark herself says [[in the notes for her single 'Whisper You Love Me Boy' on TCMS-1968) that it was "an attempt to make it an underground things but it was awful" [[Chris also said that she was running a fever of 102 when she was recording the album). Another footnote; CC Rides Again is the first Motown album to sport a gatefold since it came out in 1969 [[before The Jackson 5's Maybe Tomorrow and Marvin Gaye's What's Going On which both came out in 1971).

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    Only seen the photos of CC Rides Again at the Discogs website. Chris Clark herself says [[in the notes for her single 'Whisper You Love Me Boy' on TCMS-1968) that it was "an attempt to make it an underground things but it was awful" [[Chris also said that she was running a fever of 102 when she was recording the album). Another footnote; CC Rides Again is the first Motown album to sport a gatefold since it came out in 1969 [[before The Jackson 5's Maybe Tomorrow and Marvin Gaye's What's Going On which both came out in 1971).
    Since I assume you are disregarding 2 lp sets [[The Miracles Greatest Hits From The Beginning & DRATS Greatest Hits) The DRATS "Sing And Perform Funny Girl" beat C.C. To store shelves as did the T.C.B soundtrack...

My mistake. I didn't know that the Funny Girl & TCB Soundtrack LP's had gatefolds. I also should've pointed out that gatefolds were standard on multi-disc albums [[such as the "Greatest Hits" sets by the Miracles & the Supremes) but were just coming into use on Single disc LPs in the late '60s & early '70s.

It is quite possible that the album was intended originally to be on VIP as we have other cases such as Soul 714 the Monitors "Greetings" started as VIP 402, then Motown 678. Ruffin Bros. "Brothers Keeper" started as Motown 713 and was released as Soul 728. and Blinky`s unreleased "Sunny and Warm" was scheduled as Motown 712 and also Soul 735.

SupremeBoy Guest
    Name:  R-1913976-1355530958-5312.jpeg.jpg
Views: 623
Size:  60.3 KB

Views: 436
Size:  8.1 KB

You know, speaking of Chris Clark rarities, the last track on her Motown Collection album is a 9-minute disco song entitled "What You Doing" - does anyone know when or how this came about?

I can only speculate. When Weed was discontinued in favour of the Rare Earth label, that would have become her natural home. As Tom Baird was a leading producer of that label, he would have been a prime candidate to produce her and he tended to be experimental.

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    I can only speculate. When Weed was discontinued in favour of the Rare Earth label, that would have become her natural home. As Tom Baird was a leading producer of that label, he would have been a prime candidate to produce her and he tended to be experimental.
    Thank you, 144man

Quote Originally Posted by Methuselah2 View Post
    The Supremes first started out on the Tamla label at Motown in 1961 with I WANT A GUY and then BUTTERED POPCORN; a switch to the Motown label in 1962 occurred with LET ME GO THE RIGHT WAY. I'd be interested to know what went into the decision for the label re-assignment.
    The Supremes started briefly on Motown with "I Want A Guy/"Buttered Popcorn" first on Motown 1008. It was withdrawn and sumarily released on Tamla. So, they actually went from Motown to Tamla, back to Motown. I'll post a scan of The Supremes' Motown 1008 later. Of course, The Contours got that number, afterwards.