[REMOVE ADS]

Diana Ross - I'm Still Waiting

In the UK we sent this to number 1 and I think it was well deserved at the time and even I bought the single. Yes I did sometimes but others I waited until the next Motown Chartbusters came out as the tracks were bound to be there lol. I'm sure that kind of attitude probably harmed sales of TMG singles though. However, I was busy catching up on album releases at the time being a bit of a late comer to The Motown Sound.

Last edited by mysterysinger; 10-21-2016 at 02:32 PM.

I don't think they played it much at all here.

No it didn't make it here Diana does a nice job in this clip. For me the hook is great but then It kind of falls apart.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I don't think they played it much at all here.
    From earliier today. LOL

Originally Posted by marv2
    I don't even go into most Diana Ross threads on here.

LOLOLOLOlolololol

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    From earliier today. LOL

LOLOLOLOlolololol
    Lol. Well this ain't most Diana Ross threads, this is "I'm Still Waiting" and that's different. A rare UK Number One for Tamla Motown.

From earliier today. LOL

LOLOLOLOlolololol
    LOL, hehe
    Marv is allowed to though

I think it's a very good song but I'm surprised it went to number one here in the UK. It's one of only a handful of Motown songs to do so. Does anyone know why it was so successful?

Yes - it was mostly down to Tony Blackburn plugging it on his radio show. He has been a long time supporter of Motown.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    Yes - it was mostly down to Tony Blackburn plugging it on his radio show. He has been a long time supporter of Motown.
    Good 'ole Tony! Hehe

Tony Blackburn knew what he was doing when he picked this song. The lyrics are touching and tell a story which i think helped it along.
    I fell in love with it the very first time i heard it. If only they had followed it up in the UK with "And If You See Him" another fine song and for me one of Diana's very best vocals. I also enjoyed the Phil Chill remix that did well in the UK and Ireland in 90.

And If You See Him remains Diana at her best.

It is one of those songs that no one else could sing and have the same effect.

She conveys utter despair and loss and distance.
    Last edited by jobeterob; 10-21-2016 at 07:23 PM.

Here in USA it charted at #40 and died because BG couldn't decide what to do.the LP EIE was released in SEO 70 but the single was released a year later. A whole year. It should have been her 3 rd single. Then Motown released Remember Me but it's parent LP wasn't released for 6 months.both lps suffered sales loss as a result

Roberta
    I feel you. I was like.....

From earliier today. LOL

LOLOLOLOlolololol

Aye Aye - also love "And If You See Him" - classy.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    Here in USA it charted at #40 and died because BG couldn't decide what to do.the LP EIE was released in SEO 70 but the single was released a year later. A whole year. It should have been her 3 rd single. Then Motown released Remember Me but it's parent LP wasn't released for 6 months.both lps suffered sales loss as a result
    No, it peaked at #63 on the Billboard Hot 100. It reached #40 on Billboard's R&B Chart in 1971. It only got to #81 on the Canadian Charts which meant RPM's Chart that year.

No, it peaked at #63 on the Billboard Hot 100. It reached #40 on Billboard's R&B Chart in 1971. It only got to #81 on the Canadian Charts which meant RPM's Chart that year.
    Wow thats real impressive that you know all this. How how did it chart in Bulgaria?

Hi!

Just to begin with - I'm aware of irony :-).

However, I used to follow music charts in different countries regularly. I don't think they published proper charts in Bulgaria before the 2000s, and during the last ten years Diana didn't chart even once - not even reissues. I believe that "I'm Still Waiting" was never officially released in Bulgaria.
    But please check out, who holds the 100th position on this chart:

http://www.shazam.com/charts/top-100/bulgaria

I hope you pardon this offshoot.

Best regards
    Heikki

Quote Originally Posted by heikki View Post
    Hi!

Just to begin with - I'm aware of irony :-).

However, I used to follow music charts in different countries regularly. I don't think they published proper charts in Bulgaria before the 2000s, and during the last ten years Diana didn't chart even once - not even reissues. I believe that "I'm Still Waiting" was never officially released in Bulgaria.
    But please check out, who holds the 100th position on this chart:

http://www.shazam.com/charts/top-100/bulgaria

I hope you pardon this offshoot.

Best regards
    Heikki

Heikki, Wow! Diana Ross did not ever chart even once, but the Ronettes made it? Wow!

[QUOTE=Roberta75;353854]Wow thats real impressive that you know all this. How how did it chart in Bulgaria?

Roberta, thank you for giving me my first laugh out loud moment of the day..
    As regards "I'm Still Waiting", it also went to No 1 in Ireland as well and has always been one of Diana's most enduring songs here in the UK.......and probably Ireland.
    Altogether......."But you said".

While I do really like I'm Still Waiting I don't really understand why it was so big here in the UK compared to many of her other singles.

It must be solely down to the support of Tony Blackburn who had the most listened to radio show in the UK at the time and was very influential. But for him Doobedood'ndoobe which they released here as a single in the absence of any other material would probably not have made the top 20.

It was the 8th biggest selling single in the UK in 1971 and remains Diana's 3rd or 4th biggest selling single ever in the UK.

I don't think it was released as a single in may territories but it was also a top 20 hit in New Zealand.

As Daviddh has pointed out Motown's release schedule for Diana at the time was a real mess and is probably part of the reason for its dismal performance there.

My favorite ballad from the early DR solo years... something about it is just majestic. This song should've made her a top pop diva on radio in America but Motown was too busy trying to Vegas her sound too much... shame it wasn't a hit here but the UK knew a hit when they heard it.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    Whoa. I knew Motown was messy during the '70s but not this messy. Yikes!

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    My favorite ballad from the early DR solo years... something about it is just majestic. This song should've made her a top pop diva on radio in America but Motown was too busy trying to Vegas her sound too much... shame it wasn't a hit here but the UK knew a hit when they heard it.
    Diana was constantly amazed by the reaction to ISW whenever she toured the UK. She herself never saw it as a hit single but was delighted by it's UK success. She came to love the song and re-introduced it into her set list in the 80's when in the UK. I perhaps shouldn't be saying this but she claimed that it was never actually released as a single in the USA which of course was not true. I had to tactfully remind her that it had been released.

I believe that her Surrender album was then issued in the UK as I'm Still Waiting because of the song's success

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 866
Size:  10.2 KB
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 10-22-2016 at 07:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Diana was constantly amazed by the reaction to ISW whenever she toured the UK. She herself never saw it as a hit single but was delighted by it's UK success. She came to love the song and re-introduced it into her set list in the 80's when in the UK. I perhaps shouldn't be saying this but she claimed that it was never actually released as a single in the USA which of course was not true. I had to tactfully remind her that it had been released.
    Bluebrock, forgive my ignorance, LOL, but you talk to Diana Ross?! Did you work for her or something??!! That's so amazing!!!

I wonder if she rather not let it be known that ISW was released here? Maybe that explains why she didn't promote it either because, like you said, she wasn't too crazy about it. Interesting.

I think that Motown mishandled her solo career St times. BG kept her off Tv for some reason which hurt her sales

I wonder if she rather not let it be known that ISW was released here? Maybe that explains why she didn't promote it either because, like you said, she wasn't too crazy about it. Interesting.
    By the time it was released in the USA, Diana had just given birth to Rhonda, and was immersing herself in preparation for LADY SINGS THE BLUES. Its not surprising that she didn't do any promotion for it, or that many years later, she doesn't even recall it being released.

Oh OK. Makes better sense! No wonder it peaked then... Diana was having a family. And seeing how Motown had her on a punishing schedule, I'm amazed that she never had difficulties with her pregnancies.

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Bluebrock, forgive my ignorance, LOL, but you talk to Diana Ross?! Did you work for her or something??!! That's so amazing!!!
    I worked with her from 1988 to 2000, and occasionally since then.

I worked with her from 1988 to 2000, and occasionally since then.
    Wow, thank you

The US label states a running time of 2:58. Is that accurate?

Quote Originally Posted by smallworld View Post
    The US label states a running time of 2:58. Is that accurate?

I believe the US 45 fades earlier than the album version so this timing is probably true.

The US commercial release of I'm Still Waiting faded out by 3:16. On The Complete Motown Singles 1971 they used the full 3:45 version. Motown [[and probably other labels) often used a shorter time on the record label. I believe the single edit of Ain't No Mountain said 3:15 on the 45 but the actual time was 3:32.

It was the first solo Ross single that I didn't like! Coming after 'Mountain' & 'Remember Me' it was a huge disappointment!

It’s not high up my favourite list

Oh OK. Makes better sense! No wonder it peaked then... Diana was having a family. And seeing how Motown had her on a punishing schedule, I'm amazed that she never had difficulties with her pregnancies.
    Well when someone asked what was Mary Wilson doing between the time she left the Supremes in 1977 to 1979 and i responded that she was having babies and taking care of small children a couple ofyou said that that was no excuse and she was not only one that had babies to take care. Why this pass for Diana Ross? She didn't have to work that hard, she was boss' girlfriend.

Well when someone asked what was Mary Wilson doing between the time she left the Supremes in 1977 to 1979 and i responded that she was having babies and taking care of small children a couple ofyou said that that was no excuse and she was not only one that had babies to take care. Why this pass for Diana Ross? She didn't have to work that hard, she was boss' girlfriend.
    Diane was the Boss girlfriend but had charisma and a start quality about her that money just cant buy. I often wonder when Mary Wilson was dating Flip Wilson and Tom Jones and David Frost if she wishes they had got her more roles or guest spots on there TV shows? All 3 had real successful TV shows but she never got on Frosts show. Was she ever given a solo spot on Flip or Tome Jones show?

Motown was pretty lousy in promoting her solo material mainly because Gordy hated the music smh

Diane was the Boss girlfriend but had charisma and a start quality about her that money just cant buy. I often wonder when Mary Wilson was dating Flip Wilson and Tom Jones and David Frost if she wishes they had got her more roles or guest spots on there TV shows? All 3 had real successful TV shows but she never got on Frosts show. Was she ever given a solo spot on Flip or Tome Jones show?
    Diana worked harder than Mary ever thought about even; Mary partied

Diana’s kids turned out beyond anything Mary thought for hers as well

Mary chose Hilary, Diana Rhonda Tracee chose Barack

Mary made choices; Diana made history

That was a treat for me! never heard that live! I like the song...WABC here in NY played it quite a bit....as much as Remember Me....I was surprised to find in the internet age both ISW and Everybodys Got The Right To Love were not higher charting records...WABC played them often enough for me to think they were bigger hits.

Mary Wilson had neither the talent or the work ethic to become a successful solo star. She was far more interested in having a good time in her personal life than concentrating on what little vocal talent she had. Maybe had she cut back on the partying lifestyle she may have had a slightly better chance of achieving something out of a solo recording career, but ultimately she achieved about as much as her woeful work ethic deserved.

Quote Originally Posted by George Solomon View Post
    The US commercial release of I'm Still Waiting faded out by 3:16. On The Complete Motown Singles 1971 they used the full 3:45 version. Motown [[and probably other labels) often used a shorter time on the record label. I believe the single edit of Ain't No Mountain said 3:15 on the 45 but the actual time was 3:32.
    Thank you for the information.

i liked Im Stll Waiting,.. but thought motown screwed it up. but i think motown or BG screwed up alot of things in the 70s with dianas and the Supremes releases. seems to me BG used to be on top pf things but lost his touch or maybe his priorities became making movies . not sure .I like the remix they did back in the 80s

Oh, for heaven’s sake....... what’s that got to do with this? Nothing. Diana ross didn’t promote any of her singles on television, pregnant or not! The first new single she ever did wasn’t until mahogany in late 75..... While I think it is true that I’m still waiting would’ve done better if she had gone on TV with it, It didn’t stop ain’t no mountain high enough or touch me in the morning from going to number one So who knows?

I think you should direct this question to the people who replied to the original query about why mary didn’t launch her career in 1977. Although I personally do not believe you know what she was doing during that period, we do know that she was having and raising children but we do not know if that prevented her from working on her solo career and I don’t believe you know that either. And there is no reason one way or another to get defensive about it if she took two years off or if she was working the whole time who cares? Diana was pregnant and quite ill for a while with her first child and did not promote reach out I’ll be there, or surrender before the birth of Rhonda Suzanne, nor did she promote I’m still waiting after the birth of rhonda Suzanne, however she was working on lady sings the blues, and again, who cares? Women have every right to do whatever they want when they’re pregnant and I don’t personally judge it One way or another. That being said, I would’ve had a barf bucket at her feet and filmed her from the waist up if I could’ve got diana ross on television to promote those three singles because Lord knows they needed it. As far as Mary is concerned, even if she took two years off It doesn’t matter because even when she did launch her solo career, no one knew it. If it wasn’t for the release of red hot, almost no one would have known that she was working as a solo at all until her book came out.

Please don’t lump everybody in the same category because one or two people questioned why Mary didn’t launch her career in 1977 I’m sure I can speak for everyone here in saying we wish that her solo Career launch would’ve been much much much bigger and much much more successful. Had it been, it’s likely that dream girl would’ve been a lot less diana ross centric and negative and the two of them would be friends and we would’ve had a real reunion and mary would be at the Grammy salute to diana ross tonight as well as being involved at Motown 60 on Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    Oh, for heaven’s sake....... what’s that got to do with this? Nothing. Diana ross didn’t promote any of her singles on television, pregnant or not! The first new single she ever did wasn’t until mahogany in late 75..... While I think it is true that I’m still waiting would’ve done better if she had gone on TV with it, It didn’t stop ain’t no mountain high enough or touch me in the morning from going to number one So who knows?

I think you should direct this question to the people who replied to the original query about why mary didn’t launch her career in 1977. Although I personally do not believe you know what she was doing during that period, we do know that she was having and raising children but we do not know if that prevented her from working on her solo career and I don’t believe you know that either. And there is no reason one way or another to get defensive about it if she took two years off or if she was working the whole time who cares? Diana was pregnant and quite ill for a while with her first child and did not promote reach out I’ll be there, or surrender before the birth of Rhonda Suzanne, nor did she promote I’m still waiting after the birth of rhonda Suzanne, however she was working on lady sings the blues, and again, who cares? Women have every right to do whatever they want when they’re pregnant and I don’t personally judge it One way or another. That being said, I would’ve had a barf bucket at her feet and filmed her from the waist up if I could’ve got diana ross on television to promote those three singles because Lord knows they needed it. As far as Mary is concerned, even if she took two years off It doesn’t matter because even when she did launch her solo career, no one knew it. If it wasn’t for the release of red hot, almost no one would have known that she was working as a solo at all until her book came out.

Please don’t lump everybody in the same category because one or two people questioned why Mary didn’t launch her career in 1977 I’m sure I can speak for everyone here in saying we wish that her solo Career launch would’ve been much much much bigger and much much more successful. Had it been, it’s likely that dream girl would’ve been a lot less diana ross centric and negative and the two of them would be friends and we would’ve had a real reunion and mary would be at the Grammy salute to diana ross tonight as well as being involved at Motown 60 on Tuesday.
    Preach MotownManiac Preach!

I loved this song from the moment I heard it [[which was only after buying the UK compilation '20 Golden Greats' in 1979/80 which - like many UK releases - was also issued in Australia).

The UK often chose better Motown singles than the US - particularly in the 70s.