Stevie
    Commodores
    Lionel
    Supremes
    Diana
    Temptations
    Marvin

Other thoughts?

Didn't we discuss this before in a thread presented by Jobeterob? At the rate Hip O is reissuing Smokey Robinson's solo albums, he must factor in there somewhere./p>
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 01-08-2011 at 09:43 PM.

Boys2Men
    Rick James

I'm guessing too, but I seem to remember reading that somewhere.

I am not sure but I am guessing The Jackson 5 have got to be in there somewhere.

I knew I forgot somebody big!

For singles............Endless Love, I'll Make Love To You, The End of the Road, Grapevine by Marvin, Where Did Our Love Go maybe, I Just Called To Say I Love You, Upside Down.

Pretty hard to say.

..the biggest selling Motown singles were Marvins Grapevine which was topped by Three Times A Lady which was then topped by Endless Love..dont know if anything beat that in the 80s then Boyz 2 Men came along and took the mantel..

I'm not sure what the basis of biggest is within this thread but I'd love to know the top 10 selling Motown songs on a global basis.

Eamonn

I had read somewhere that for a long time, the Jackson 5's "I'll Be There" was Motown biggest selling single.... throughout all of the 70's.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamasu_Jr View Post
    Didn't we discuss this before in a thread presented by Jobeterob? At the rate Hip O is reissuing Smokey Robinson's solo albums, he must factor in there somewhere./p>
    No he doesn't. Smokey's solo albums barely charted as well as they did save for probably Quiet Storm. He had some hit singles but his career after the Miracles was a fluke to me so I don't know how he would "factor in there".

Quote Originally Posted by thelastsupreme View Post
    Boys2Men
    Rick James

I'm guessing too, but I seem to remember reading that somewhere.
    Yep they're among the list of biggest sellers in Motown too. And as captainjames pointed out, so did the Jackson 5.

Quote Originally Posted by rovereab View Post
    I'm not sure what the basis of biggest is within this thread but I'd love to know the top 10 selling Motown songs on a global basis.

Eamonn
    I Heard It Through the Grapevine [[Marvin's version)
    I'll Be There
    Ben
    All Night Long [[All Night)
    End of the Road
    I'll Make Love to You
    Endless Love
    Let's Get It On
    Upside Down
    Love Child [[I think)

I Just Called to Say I Love You would have to be in there because it was #1 everywhere all over the world.

I also think Stoned Love might be in there; it didn't chart all that highly but it's sales were very strong, at least in the USA.

Chart numbers can be suspect because I know there are stories around from Motown's Sales Manager at the time saying that while TCB got the higher chart numbers, Diana Ross & the Supremes Join the Temptations got the bigger sales numbers.

There is a book around showing the best selling albums of the 60's and the only Motown album in it was TCB.

Theres no way Stoned Love sold anywhere near the category of Someday Well Be Together or I'll Be There..it was just a moderate hit compared to the heavy weights ...