[REMOVE ADS]

Marvin Gaye Pride & Joy

One of my best , favorite records LOL! I learned all the words to "Pride & Joy" by the time I was 5 years old.

You hear the Vandellas loud and clear doing their strong back up for Marvin. Martha says they improvised some their parts for this and other Marvin Gaye records.

This record is part soul, honky tonk, and gospel. He sings it just like he was in church. Dedicated to Anna.

I, too, love Marvin's "Pride & Joy", Marv. I'm a sucker for that honky-tonk shuffle beat! I've also always loved Marvin's '"I'm Crazy 'Bout My Baby" which [[I think) was the follow-up single with a sound-alike shuffle beat. Martha & The Vandellas' back-up vocals shined on that one, too, but, somehow, the record seemed to go unnoticed. Pity because I thought that record cooked.

It's interesting he has two versions of this great song. The album version, you can see how uninterested in the song he was, but once the single version came out, you definitely felt his soul because, as some folks said about him, you can tell he was hungry for a hit. And also, he was in a happy place at the time with Anna, so you can definitely feel it in the single version.

Funny this topic came up because I realized there were about 5 versions of this song.
    1. version on anthology disc 1
    2. Compact command performances
    3. Marvin collection disc 1 [[ with a break and if I remember correctly he does a sax Solo)
    4. Marvin Gaye the Master 1961-1984
    5. Marvin Gaye - That Stubborn Kinda Fella

I may be wrong but all of these versions sound different to me in one way or another. I just found compact performances version a couple of months ago.

Would like to hear other opinions.
    Last edited by caliluv; 10-03-2016 at 12:39 AM.

Caliluv : I didn't know about the different versions, as I don't have all the CD's.

My favorite is on "Live At The Copa".

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    I, too, love Marvin's "Pride & Joy", Marv. I'm a sucker for that honky-tonk shuffle beat! I've also always loved Marvin's '"I'm Crazy 'Bout My Baby" which [[I think) was the follow-up single with a sound-alike shuffle beat. Martha & The Vandellas' back-up vocals shined on that one, too, but, somehow, the record seemed to go unnoticed. Pity because I thought that record cooked.
    Well the follow up single was "Can I Get A Witness" [[another favorite of mine) with "I'm Crazy 'Bout My Baby" as the B-side. It was a good thing they did not turned down the volume on the backgrounds by the Vandellas as they do add a lot to the record. On "Can I Get A Witness" it's Florence Ballard and bunch of people working the background that make that record dance! LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    It's interesting he has two versions of this great song. The album version, you can see how uninterested in the song he was, but once the single version came out, you definitely felt his soul because, as some folks said about him, you can tell he was hungry for a hit. And also, he was in a happy place at the time with Anna, so you can definitely feel it in the single version.
    Very big difference in the single and album versions. I played it on the jukebox several years ago at a neighborhood bar and this elderly lady darn near jumped up out of her seat upon hearing the intro. LOL! Everyone responds to it in some kind of way.

Good one John and thanks for sharing. FOREVER MARVIN !!! RIH.
    There will never be another Marvin.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Well the follow up single was "Can I Get A Witness" [[another favorite of mine) with "I'm Crazy 'Bout My Baby" as the B-side. It was a good thing they did not turned down the volume on the backgrounds by the Vandellas as they do add a lot to the record. On "Can I Get A Witness" it's Florence Ballard and bunch of people working the background that make that record dance! LOL!
    Yeah, I love Marvin's "Can I Get A Witness" and "You're A Wonderful One", too. [[I believe The Supremes backed him up on both recordings.) Pairing Marvin with H-D-H was magical, as was further proven on Marvin's "Moods Of Marvin Gaye" album [[containing "Your Unchanging Love", etc.) It's kinda odd -- yet cool -- that Motown included "Crazy 'Bout My Baby" -- a B-side -- on Vol. 4 of "A Collection Of 16 Original Big Motown
    Hits." It must have garnered enough two-sided air-play to be considered a Motown Vol. 4 "hit". I'm glad they did because that was how I learned about the song's existence, which, as a young teenager, was a thrill for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    Yeah, I love Marvin's "Can I Get A Witness" and "You're A Wonderful One", too. [[I believe The Supremes backed him up on both recordings.) Pairing Marvin with H-D-H was magical, as was further proven on Marvin's "Moods Of Marvin Gaye" album [[containing "Your Unchanging Love", etc.) It's kinda odd -- yet cool -- that Motown included "Crazy 'Bout My Baby" -- a B-side -- on Vol. 4 of "A Collection Of 16 Original Big Motown
    Hits." It must have garnered enough two-sided air-play to be considered a Motown Vol. 4 "hit". I'm glad they did because that was how I learned about the song's existence, which, as a young teenager, was a thrill for me.
    "You're A Wonderful One" was my Dad and Uncle's favorite. They played it so often that as kids, it became one of our favorites too. Yes the Supremes are on background of "Wonderful One". I don't know if all of them did the session for "Can I Get A Witness", but Flo is heard loud and clear above the other singers on that one. Mary was on background for Smokey & the Miracles "Mickey's Monkey". He's mentioned it a few times, singling out Mary but no mention of the others. Just recently Martha Reeves has said that she, Rosalind and Annette are also on that record.