[REMOVE ADS]

Tony Hester & The Dramatics

I was going through a bunch of tunes by The Dramatics over the holidays and thought it would be nice to revisit this signature marriage of a songwriter and premiere vocal group. With the passing of Lenny Mayes and Ron Banks I thought I might speak to the greatness of their music and their collaborations with Tony Hester.

In my opinion Tony Hester was as talented a songwriter to ever pen a tune, his use of simile and adjectives in songs he wrote for the Dramatics where as good as anything Smokey Robinson or Norman Whitfield wrote for the Temptations. Although they were never as popular as The Temptations, they certainly belong in that rarefied air they inhabit. Like Curtis & Smokey, Tony Hester's songs always told a story that simply required you to listen and be entertained.

Unfortunately we don't have a wealth of material Tony Hester produced on the Dramatics because of his untimely death, but those songs he did write for them were some of the best tunes they recorded. The Dramatics main producer Mr. Don Davis did maintain a cache of Tony's material and ironically the Dramatics would proceed to release a song here and there of Tony's well after his death. Mr Davis released an album entitled "Mellow Drama", which was chock full of unreleased material primarily written by Mr. Hester.

Along with Mr. Davis, Michael Henderson wrote and produced some of the Dramatics more popular hits and he captured the Dramatics unique flavor as only he could and we were all better off because of it. However when Tony Hester penned a Dramatic tune and the fellas interpreted it in their special way, it was simply none better. Anyone out there got any favorites, comments etc ?

Well I guess it's only fair to contribute to a thread I created: two of my favorites are :

Now You Got me Loving You and A Marriage on Paper Only.

more later.............

Totally agree, Mr. Hester was a musical genius. Did he write "In the Rain" or produce it? Either way, some of his many tunes were as you said, great stories you had to listen to, with a message in them. Usually the message was, "Man, I blew it with this gal, my life isn't so good right now, what's my next step? I'll try not to repeat those same mistakes ... but I let her slip away." Hey, I can relate! :>)

Quote Originally Posted by tsull1 View Post
    Totally agree, Mr. Hester was a musical genius. Did he write "In the Rain" or produce it?
    Yes Tsull, he wrote and produced [["under the supervision of Don Davis") all the tracks on their first LP.

Yeah Tsull I feel you, I loved and lost myself..........anyway In the early years of The Dramatics Tony was Producer and songwriter actually gaining some bit of fame and noteriety for the Dramatics first two Albums , What You See Is What You Get [[ In The Rain) and The Dramatic Experience.[[ Hey You get Off My Mountain/Devil Is Dope). I could only imagine what heights they would have reached if not for his unfortunate set of circumstances. But like most veteran soul music lovers when I hear those early tunes and even those that were released later ...I feel and hear Tony Hester as well.

On a secondary note since we actually started the New Year with the Four Tops/Theo Peoples mellodrama, I felt that it was time to recognize the contributions of the late great Tony Hester and the fabulous Dramatics.

Tony Hester also wrote Just The Way You Are Today for Barbara Lewis. He diidn't just write for the Dramatics. For a time, Hester's songs were vital parts of the Detroit-Memphis cross pollination, which no one wants to talk about here in Memphis.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 01-08-2011 at 04:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamasu_Jr View Post
    Tony Hester also wrote Just The Way You Are Today for Barbara Lewis. He diidn't just write for the Dramatics. For a time, Hester's songs were vital parts of the Detroit-Memphis cross pollination, which no one wants to talk about here in Memphis.
    Hi Kamasu,
    Have you written about the Memphis/Detroit connections anywhere?

Ady

Quote Originally Posted by paladin View Post
    I was going through a bunch of tunes by The Dramatics over the holidays and thought it would be nice to revisit this signature marriage of a songwriter and premiere vocal group. With the passing of Lenny Mayes and Ron Banks I thought I might speak to the greatness of their music and their collaborations with Tony Hester.

In my opinion Tony Hester was as talented a songwriter to ever pen a tune, his use of simile and adjectives in songs he wrote for the Dramatics where as good as anything Smokey Robinson or Norman Whitfield wrote for the Temptations. Although they were never as popular as The Temptations, they certainly belong in that rarefied air they inhabit. Like Curtis & Smokey, Tony Hester's songs always told a story that simply required you to listen and be entertained.

Unfortunately we don't have a wealth of material Tony Hester produced on the Dramatics because of his untimely death, but those songs he did write for them were some of the best tunes they recorded. The Dramatics main producer Mr. Don Davis did maintain a cache of Tony's material and ironically the Dramatics would proceed to release a song here and there of Tony's well after his death. Mr Davis released an album entitled "Mellow Drama", which was chock full of unreleased material primarily written by Mr. Hester.

Along with Mr. Davis, Michael Henderson wrote and produced some of the Dramatics more popular hits and he captured the Dramatics unique flavor as only he could and we were all better off because of it. However when Tony Hester penned a Dramatic tune and the fellas interpreted it in their special way, it was simply none better. Anyone out there got any favorites, comments etc ?

Well I guess it's only fair to contribute to a thread I created: two of my favorites are :

Now You Got me Loving You and A Marriage on Paper Only.

more later.............
    Co-signed!!!!!.......

Whoa, I had forgot about this post......but never Tony Hester and The Fabulous Dramatics.....they were simply one of the best groups ever . Detroit should be very proud of their native sons.

Quote Originally Posted by ady_croasdell View Post
    Hi Kamasu,
    Have you written about the Memphis/Detroit connections anywhere?

Ady
    I've thought about it. But few people here want to talk about it.

I've thought about it. But few people here want to talk about it.
    I'm fascinated, if you don't want to do it on here, emails or other sites would be interested. I was just looking at Willie Mitchell's involvement on some of the Sport [[I think) sides

Quote Originally Posted by paladin View Post
    Whoa, I had forgot about this post......but never Tony Hester and The Fabulous Dramatics.....they were simply one of the best groups ever . Detroit should be very proud of their native sons.
    I think there was a time around 74-76 that the Dramatics were a bit better than the Temptations. On that Tempts album, "Do the Temptations" it sounded like they were doing a Dramatics styled LP only not as good.

I think there was a time around 74-76 that the Dramatics were a bit better than the Temptations. On that Tempts album, "Do the Temptations" it sounded like they were doing a Dramatics styled LP only not as good.

Zebop that's an interesting observation about the Do The Temptations album. Although I always considered it one of their lesser efforts, you could tell that the ship had sprung a leak and they were fading. What always got to me was them announcing that they were doing themselves, instead of being like the Dramatics who have always done the Dramatics with little or no fan fare.

I would also agree that for several years The Dramatics material and performances were superior to The Temptations. As always I appreciate your reply and observation.

Kdub

LOL the Tempts were fading, yep. Despite the cool cover, Do the Temptations didn't offer that much, a lot of it was amateurish and kind of corny. But sadly it's probably remembered more that a lot of superior Dramatics LP's.

Tony Hester was a great writer and producer. I guess a variety of reasons prevented him from doing even more work with other artists.

Thanks for the kind words Kdub

Thanks for the kind words Kdub
    for true Z.....

For several years the Temptations where releasing albums full of filler , never really capturing the magic of days gone by, The Dramatics were all over them, but eventually they faded as well. However they remain as two stalwarts of the trade and their collective Legacy is astonishing.

I just picked up "Temptations Do The Temptations" a few months ago [[vinyl) and perhaps because I hadn't played it before I'm new to it, but I really like it, certainly better than some of the group's later albums. I also liked "Power" very much.

I have plenty of Dramatics albums, too. Despite their popularity amongst soul lovers, I'd still consider them highly underrated. Like any good 5-part harmony soul group, they had multiple guys who could lead -- Lenny Mayes, L.J. Reynolds, and Ron Banks, IMO, stack up with nearly anyone among soul singing groups.

As noted, Hester did a great job with the writing. Good choice by the group to go Stax and out of the Motown shadow, but I think all the personnel changes and the departure of Hester [[I believe he died young, too) hurt the group.

from soulfuldetroit.com archives 2004

Heikki, robbk, zebop, Mark Speck and Paladin all contributed to postings on Tony Hester at that time - Juice posted this zoom shot of Tony

Name:  7657.jpg
Views: 9026
Size:  4.8 KB

http://soulfuldetroit.com/archives/6...tml?1091846404

and Tony Hester singing on the self penned 'Just Can't Leave You" [[Pied Piper / Mike Terry)
    Last edited by MIKEW-UK; 12-23-2012 at 04:06 PM.

I just couldn't leave out "I'll Be Your Champion"

and a good photo of Tony Hester care of Dave Turner of Soul source
    http://www.soul-source.co.uk/soulfor...t-tony-hester/

Name:  TonyHester.jpg
Views: 10438
Size:  18.2 KB
    Last edited by MIKEW-UK; 12-23-2012 at 04:55 PM.

I have plenty of Dramatics albums, too. Despite their popularity amongst soul lovers, I'd still consider them highly underrated. Like any good 5-part harmony soul group, they had multiple guys who could lead -- Lenny Mayes, L.J. Reynolds, and Ron Banks, IMO, stack up with nearly anyone among soul singing groups.

True that, on those albums you have, you will ususally find a tune penned by Mr. Hester.....

Tsull I liked the Temptations Do The Temptations too, I'm a big fan, but it was more like "Temptations -Lite" to me......lol........

A little off topic but can someone tell me if there are now TWO offical groups of Dramatics? One headed up by L.J. Reynolds and another headed up by Willie Ford?

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    A little off topic but can someone tell me if there are now TWO offical groups of Dramatics? One headed up by L.J. Reynolds and another headed up by Willie Ford?
    Yes there are two groups of Dramatics. I don't know what Willies' group is up to, but I checked out LJ's group this past summer at Hart Plaza in Detroit. LJ looked and sounded great. Squirrel Demps made a guest appearance onstage, he didn't sing but he did say his cancer is in remission.
    Last edited by gary; 12-25-2012 at 10:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gary View Post
    Yes there are two groups of Dramatics. I don't know what Willies' group is up to, but I checked out LJ's group this past summer at Hart Plaza in Detroit. LJ looked and sounded great. Squirrel Demps made a guest appearance onstage, he didn't sing but he did say his cancer is in remission.
    Gary, thanks man. I did not know Squirrel had been ill.

Here's a little bit of info for ya.....Squirrel still makes guest appearences as his health permits..........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...v=_3kZ6PliBrk#!

here is one of their new promo pics, L-R....Squirrel, Winzell, LJ, Donald, and Leon who replaced Ron Banks.........Merry Xmas to all....lol....

Name:  Dramatics.jpg
Views: 12551
Size:  30.3 KB

Thanks Paladin Happy New Year man!

Thanks Paladin Happy New Year man!
    ......as Chicago's Mighty Notations once sang...."I'm Still here".....

No one in Memphis talks about it because the most of the hit material that was from Hot Buttered Soul and there after was associated with Detroit Arrangers Johnny Allen and Dale Warren. The Detroit musicians dominated the Stax music scene from 1969 to 1974.

The Unsung episode on the Dramatics, opened my eyes as to how good they were. From 1971 and "What You See Is What You Get" onward there were dozens of classic tunes that were on par at minimum, with anything the Tempts did. As a fan of excellent songwriting, Tony Hester's best could be in the same conversation as anything that came out of Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown4Ever518 View Post
    The Unsung episode on the Dramatics, opened my eyes as to how good they were. From 1971 and "What You See Is What You Get" onward there were dozens of classic tunes that were on par at minimum, with anything the Tempts did. As a fan of excellent songwriting, Tony Hester's best could be in the same conversation as anything that came out of Detroit.
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 3555
Size:  21.1 KB
    I love all of Tony songs co-written with Popcorn Wylie [[especially those from 1965-1971.

Tony Hester is without a doubt one of the greatest talents to come out of the Motor City. Berry Gordy wanted him to join Motown but Tony refused to sign the contract. Probably was a wise decision considering what many people say about the labels lack of proper compensation. "I Just Can't Leave You" and "Watch Yourself" are personal favorites. Not enough is said about his productions,his lyrics were great but his way with a melody was superb. As the 70's approached I appreciated the way he used old techniques and made them fit into a new thing. He took the old Detroit sound and updated it to the point where you had to have a great ear to call his bluff. Listen to "Come Out Of Your Thing" or "Music Is Forever", which is my favorite song he's written. That song to me was him looking at the current state of his hometown with profound sadness. It wasn't what it had been,but music was the soothing balm for the city. Unfortunately due to his drug addiction the late Don Davis had to take responsibility for The Dramatics to keep them going. To know Tony Hester is to love him through his musical contributions.

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 3515
Size:  21.1 KB
    Tony DID work for awhile as a songwriter for Motown. He had a couple Jobete Music song credits on released Motown records, plus a couple other songs that never got released. I think he started with them in late 1963 and worked with them into 1964. He hung around Hitsville, learning about the music business. Berry wanted him to sign a 7-year writer's contract, But he refused. He left, and in 1965, he and Popcorn started writing together as independent writer/producers.
    Last edited by robb_k; 12-25-2017 at 12:55 AM.

Glad they finally put them on Unsung. I had been clamoring for it since forever. They were in many respects, just as good as the Tempts especially from the early to late 70's.