[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Random Thoughts: Soulful Detroit at 16

As many of you know, I am not the originator of this website. Soulful Detroit is the brainchild of Lowell Boileau and David Meikle. I showed up in the very early days, at the invitation of David, to do a webisode on my former recording studios, Tera Shirma Sound. That was a long time back and David is no longer with us so Lowell and I continue.

When I was first asked to moderate the forum I readily accepted before realizing I knew Jack about moderating anything. So I threw myself into the task and let the chips fall where they may. At first it was easy. Membership was small and, other than discussing things with the few members, there really was little to moderate. But Soulful Detroit caught fire and the membership grew quickly. With so many new faces came so many new personalities and at times these differing personalities would clash and I would have to learn how to put out fires. I think I have learned a little over the years and try my best to treat everyone fairly when disagreements occur. There are times some on the forum might let me know I got something wrong when dealing with a problem. They may have a point and I apologize if anyone thinks I have treated them unfairly. I can only say I try and call the shots as I see them.

Having said that: What's with some of you people and the Supremes? Or anything connected to the Supremes? Nothing has puzzled me more about the goings on here than the dust-ups that have occurred in the aforementioned names.These are a bunch of talented women in all incarnations of the trio. But they are also human. I'll never forget the day I would pick up Jean Terrell at her hotel to deliver her to Motown. During the drive over she was somewhat shy and said little. Of course I probably wasn't saying much myself, realizing that I had Diana Ross's replacement in my car. And as time went on the transitions would continue and Diana would go on with her solo career. Were there a few bad moments along the way? Sure. So what! We all have bad days and times in our lives, but the forum has a way of taking some issue and boring into it until disagreements arise and I have to moderate something. Hopefully, this year these types of disagreements will ease. I must admit that lately things have been quite peaceful. So, my hope for the coming year is that all the women of the Supremes, along with Ms. Ross, will be given the respect these women deserve. They are true pioneers in the music business. Please keep this in mind.

Detroit

It has been a while now since I left Monterey California and even though I'm looking down the barrel of my fourth winter, I couldn't be happier with my decision. I love Michigan and all the years away couldn't get the thought out of my mind that I was supposed to return someday. Besides, living in California and moderating a Detroit based music forum seemed somewhat off to me. Now my world is beginning to make sense.

Losses

This past year would bring another round of realities reminding us that we are not immortal and more of our favorite artists would pass. At the age of seventy four, I can, to a degree, accept the fact that these things are going to occur and occur with greater frequency. I'm not quite sure where I am in that line, but I know I'm getting towards the head and someday an angel is going to pull my hole-card and I'm toast.

I suppose out of all the forum losses over the years, there were two that seemed to hit me the hardest. Babbitt and The Count.

Babbitt

You really had to know the guy. When they say someone is "bigger than life", they are talking about Babbitt. We grew up together playing in bands. First, in the Detroit Teen Club system which gave valuable opportunities to us young musicians to showcase our bands, gain experience and make a little money. Local clubs and then "the road" would follow. The road taught us many things. Don't get too full of ourselves because we were, more than likely, going to get our asses kicked a few times while out there. It happens and it teaches you a few things.

And then the studio scene: Babbitt was all over the Detroit studio scene. At Tera Shirma, I could be in the front office while the guys for a recording date were drifting in. Through the closed studio door I could still hear Babbitt's boisterous laugh and feel glad he was around.

Babbitt would pass on the same day I would learn of the passing of my mother. Talk about a sucker punch.

The Count

His real name was Steve Gronas, but to us, he was, and always will be, The Count. He was a true music fan and brought much to Soulful Detroit's table. He had an interesting job. He was a specialty painter for the Ford Motor Company. He didn't just paint cars, he Painted them. The Count's work was seen in a multitude of auto shows around the world. The dude knew his work. One of these days I hope to fulfill a dream of mine and find a ‘57 Buick Roadmaster convertible and have it "done" by one of the talented car guys I see on television. The Count was going to paint it for me. Triple black. Top, interior and body. The Count’s talented mind took it a step further: midnight black with a hint of metallic violet deep within. Maybe some tasty pin striping. It was never to be though, but I know it would have rocked.

So here we are, gang. another year together. Each week I approve about ten new members, so it seems we are ever growing. Not perfect but I think we all try here to make it informative and friendly. It blows my mind that sixteen years have passed. Now this place is a part of my everyday life. Many thanks to you all for your many contributions here. I have always said I've learned more from the members here than all my years in this crazy business. Happy Birthday, Soulful Detroit.
    Last edited by ralpht; 09-30-2016 at 06:32 PM.

Indeed, Ralph.

Happy Birthday, Soulful Detroit!

"Now this place is a part of my everyday life", you say.

And so say I, signing in each morning, even before I have really planned my day, as do so many other members.

Thanks for continuing to hold it all together for us, the members, who enjoy being a part of Soulful Detroit.

We shouldn't overlook the 'guests' who silently view Soulful Detroit without signing in, and who seem to form the vast majority. That's a huge number of people with an interest in the 'stage' you provide for us to express ourselves.

Congratulations!

[[btw, you have me just a little confused. From posts in previous years, it seemed that the start date for SD was October 1st, 2001. Is this now the 16th anniversary, or are we simply entering the 16th year?)

I have only been here for a grand total of 23 days [[lol) but I would like to say THANK YOU to everyone who has ever contributed to the creation and maintenance of this wonderful website!

I never knew that people had such strong opinions on The Supremes, and that they could be the source of so many arguments and dust-ups!!! [[I suppose when you have five #1 hits in a row and forever shape the history of pop music, fans are bound formulate some pretty strong opinions)

Anyways, I genuinely love this website, it is so BRILLIANT - and I wish it a very happy 16th birthday!!

Entering the 16th year, West.

Thanks, as ever, Ralph and Lowell. I'm here every day even if I don't post everyday. Many good wishes, from the increasingly cooler North of England.
    John

Has it been 16 years? I came here via Detroit Yes, and, alas, remember the big meltdown way back when. On the other hand, I remember things like the "Aaaarrrruuuuugggghhh" thread and many other good times.

The loss of The Count hit as hard as the loss of It'sJeff! did at DY, but life here, as there goes on. Thank you Lowell for supporting this site, and thank you Ralph for doing the good work of keeping it running smoothly.

Doug

[QUOTE=ralpht;349597]As many of you know, I am not the originator of this website. Soulful Detroit is the brainchild of Lowell Boileau and David Meikle. I showed up in the very early days, at the invitation of David, to do a webisode on my former recording studios, Tera Shirma Sound. That was a long time back and David is no longer with us so Lowell and I continue.

When I was first asked to moderate the forum I readily accepted before realizing I knew Jack about moderating anything. So I threw myself into the task and let the chips fall where they may. At first it was easy. Membership was small and, other than discussing things with the few members, there really was little to moderate. But Soulful Detroit caught fire and the membership grew quickly. With so many new faces came so many new personalities and at times these differing personalities would clash and I would have to learn how to put out fires. I think I have learned a little over the years and try my best to treat everyone fairly when disagreements occur. There are times some on the forum might let me know I got something wrong when dealing with a problem. They may have a point and I apologize if anyone thinks I have treated them unfairly. I can only say I try and call the shots as I see them.

Having said that: What's with some of you people and the Supremes? Or anything connected to the Supremes? Nothing has puzzled me more about the goings on here than the dust-ups that have occurred in the aforementioned names.These are a bunch of talented women in all incarnations of the trio. But they are also human. I'll never forget the day I would pick up Jean Terrell at her hotel to deliver her to Motown. During the drive over she was somewhat shy and said little. Of course I probably wasn't saying much myself, realizing that I had Diana Ross's replacement in my car. And as time went on the transitions would continue and Diana would go on with her solo career. Were there a few bad moments along the way? Sure. So what! We all have bad days and times in our lives, but the forum has a way of taking some issue and boring into it until disagreements arise and I have to moderate something. Hopefully, this year these types of disagreements will ease. I must admit that lately things have been quite peaceful. So, my hope for the coming year is that all the women of the Supremes, along with Ms. Ross, will be given the respect these women deserve. They are true pioneers in the music business. Please keep this in mind.
    [QUOTE]..

Well that certainly needed saying! Happy 16th Ralph....

The song "Sixteen Candles" immediately popped into my head! I can't believe its been that long! Wow! And, I was one of the people who started here in 2002.

The forum well knows how I feel about some peoples' obsession with The Supremes, and you, Ralph, addressed most of it, so no need to go there again [[I hope).

I still wish that the types of music discussed would be expanded and not concentrated on just Motown. I know that was the intended focus, but I think we have grown to the point where we can accept discussion of all types of music. If a separate forum for the discussion is needed, why not?

I'm still looking forward to the previously announced upgrades to the forum. It would be great to finally have avatars, and other cool features that most other music forums have had for more than a decade.

You keep repeating this, soulster, over the years:

still wish that the types of music discussed would be expanded and not concentrated on just Motown. I know that was the intended focus, but I think we have grown to the point where we can accept discussion of all types of music. If a separate forum for the discussion is needed, why not?
    but haven't we been discussing music outside of Motown on the main page for years now?
    Why not just create separate threads titled by the artist you want to talk about or Non-Motown Music Appreciation Thread? You could do that here or in the Clubhouse and
    avoid all of the panty bunching and wig tossing that goes on in, yes I'll say it, Supremes
    threads...[[:......

Quote Originally Posted by splanky View Post
    You keep repeating this, soulster, over the years:

still wish that the types of music discussed would be expanded and not concentrated on just Motown. I know that was the intended focus, but I think we have grown to the point where we can accept discussion of all types of music. If a separate forum for the discussion is needed, why not?
    but haven't we been discussing music outside of Motown on the main page for years now?
    Why not just create separate threads titled by the artist you want to talk about or Non-Motown Music Appreciation Thread? You could do that here or in the Clubhouse and
    avoid all of the panty bunching and wig tossing that goes on in, yes I'll say it, Supremes
    threads...[[:......
    Heh! I know we are free to do that, but it seems like every time someone does, eventually, someone comes in and complains about it. I guess in some people's minds, the is place should be exclusively soul and Motown, and nothing but soul or Motown.

Quote Originally Posted by ralpht View Post
    As many of you know, I am not the originator of this website. Soulful Detroit is the brainchild of Lowell Boileau and David Meikle. I showed up in the very early days, at the invitation of David, to do a webisode on my former recording studios, Tera Shirma Sound. That was a long time back and David is no longer with us so Lowell and I continue.

Detroit

It has been a while now since I left Monterey California and even though I'm looking down the barrel of my fourth winter, I couldn't be happier with my decision. I love Michigan and all the years away couldn't get the thought out of my mind that I was supposed to return someday. Besides, living in California and moderating a Detroit based music forum seemed somewhat off to me. Now my world is beginning to make sense.

Losses

This past year would bring another round of realities reminding us that we are not immortal and more of our favorite artists would pass. At the age of seventy four, I can, to a degree, accept the fact that these things are going to occur and occur with greater frequency. I'm not quite sure where I am in that line, but I know I'm getting towards the head and someday an angel is going to pull my hole-card and I'm toast.

I suppose out of all the forum losses over the years, there were two that seemed to hit me the hardest. Babbitt and The Count.

Babbitt

You really had to know the guy. When they say someone is "bigger than life", they are talking about Babbitt. We grew up together playing in bands. First, in the Detroit Teen Club system which gave valuable opportunities to us young musicians to showcase our bands, gain experience and make a little money. Local clubs and then "the road" would follow. The road taught us many things. Don't get too full of ourselves because we were, more than likely, going to get our asses kicked a few times while out there. It happens and it teaches you a few things.

And then the studio scene: Babbitt was all over the Detroit studio scene. At Tera Shirma, I could be in the front office while the guys for a recording date were drifting in. Through the closed studio door I could still hear Babbitt's boisterous laugh and feel glad he was around.

Babbitt would pass on the same day I would learn of the passing of my mother. Talk about a sucker punch.

The Count

His real name was Steve Gronas, but to us, he was, and always will be, The Count. He was a true music fan and brought much to Soulful Detroit's table. He had an interesting job. He was a specialty painter for the Ford Motor Company. He didn't just paint cars, he Painted them. The Count's work was seen in a multitude of auto shows around the world. The dude knew his work. One of these days I hope to fulfill a dream of mine and find a ‘57 Buick Roadmaster convertible and have it "done" by one of the talented car guys I see on television. The Count was going to paint it for me. Triple black. Top, interior and body. The Count’s talented mind took it a step further: midnight black with a hint of metallic violet deep within. Maybe some tasty pin striping. It was never to be though, but I know it would have rocked.

So here we are, gang. another year together. Each week I approve about ten new members, so it seems we are ever growing. Not perfect but I think we all try here to make it informative and friendly. It blows my mind that sixteen years have passed. Now this place is a part of my everyday life. Many thanks to you all for your many contributions here. I have always said I've learned more from the members here than all my years in this crazy business. Happy Birthday, Soulful Detroit.
    Good job Ralphie

edafan

This certainly proves how far the SDF has come since it's inception.

If it is possible, I would like to know the following:

At the end of the first year of operation, how many members were there from how many states?

Currently, how many members are there and from how many states? Do we have members in every state?

Would be interesting to know.

Happy Birthday Soulful Detroit! Congratulations and thank you Ralph as you are just the absolute best!

I have always said that ALL music is welcomed here. Of course, Motown is revered here. But it is all interconnected..Jazz...Big Band...Doo Wop... R&B and Rock and Roll. We have learned things from all of these genres and, hopefully, grew musically. I want to see all music discussed at SD. Lest you guys forget, your moderator was a Rock and Roll piano player.

OK Ralph, bribe accepted....Sunliners' "All Alone" will be on the next Soulful Shack!

Quote Originally Posted by snakepit View Post
    OK Ralph, bribe accepted....Sunliners' "All Alone" will be on the next Soulful Shack!
    You're too kind, Snake. Actually I prefer the flip side "The Swingin' Kind. But who am I to hype you?

You do a brilliant job Ralph. All credit to you and Lowell... Best Wishes and Thanks Mike

I see Dennis and Mike's fingerprints all over this one...

And here's a track you played synthesizer on... Creative Source from the album Migration....

Migration [[Creative Source album)

1. I'm Gonna Get There" - [[Michael Stokes, Joe Thomas, Don Wyatt) 2:27
    2. "Harlem" - [[Bill Withers) 4:57
    3. "I Just Can't See Myself Without You"- [[Skip Scarborough) 7:30
    4. "Keep On Movin'" - [[Michael Stokes, Joe Thomas, Skip Scarborough) 2:35
    5. "Migration" - [[Michael Stokes, Joe Thomas) 4:22
    6. "Corazon" - [[Carole King) 4:41
    7. "Let Me Be The One" - [[Paul Williams, Roger Nichols) 3:27

Personnel

Happy Birthday to Soulful Detroit and Thank You Ralph for all the love and hours you've poured into this site for the benefit of us all. I know it can be a thankless task at times but I'm glad you are here to guide us!

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEW-UK View Post
    And here's a track you played synthesizer on... Creative Source from the album Migration....

Mike, I have no memory of doing that date. Not that that is unusual.

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEW-UK View Post
    I see Dennis and Mike's fingerprints all over this one...

True, Mike. Dennis and Mike produced a final Sunliner album for MGM. Soon after the band would evolve into Rare Earth. The name given to them by Mike Theodore.

I'm gonna be serious here for a moment..[Marv, Stu stop that snickering]Ralph you know how I feel about this place and about you my friend, although we may never have a face to face that's ok because I truly truly believe that you are a real and good dude, and I've said this before and I'm saying it again you let us be adults here..[although I try not to be one most of the time, hehe]I have so much fun here and learn so much about music and life too at times, I'm very happy and proud to belong to this classic music forum run by a classy human being so many good folks here I wanna do a roll call but I might miss somebody but you're all my family although we might disagree about this or that, the internet would be very boring for me without this wonderful place, so happy birthday Soulful Detroit and here's to the next sixteen...Oh the elephants are on the way!!!

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    I'm gonna be serious here for a moment..[Marv, Stu stop that snickering]Ralph you know how I feel about this place and about you my friend, although we may never have a face to face that's ok because I truly truly believe that you are a real and good dude, and I've said this before and I'm saying it again you let us be adults here..[although I try not to be one most of the time, hehe]I have so much fun here and learn so much about music and life too at times, I'm very happy and proud to belong to this classic music forum run by a classy human being so many good folks here I wanna do a roll call but I might miss somebody but you're all my family although we might disagree about this or that, the internet would be very boring for me without this wonderful place, so happy birthday Soulful Detroit and here's to the next sixteen...Oh the elephants are on the way!!!
    Thank you arr&bee.You have always been an asset to the forum with your quirky humor and over all friendliness. You tend to brighten my day. Hell, I'm even getting used to the damn elephants.

Gives me a chance to say thanks to all the members. You're an interesting group of musically knowledgeable people. I'm proud to have your participation on the forum.

honest man Guest
    Thank you arr&bee.You have always been an asset to the forum with your quirky humor and over all friendliness. You tend to brighten my day. Hell, I'm even getting used to the damn elephants.

Gives me a chance to say thanks to all the members. You're an interesting group of musically knowledgeable people. I'm proud to have your participation on the forum.
    Ralph you and the other guys do a tremendous job here,i tune in everyday mainly,it is perfect as it is,thank you sir.

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    I have so much fun here and learn so much about music and life too at times, I'm very happy and proud to belong to this classic music forum run by a classy human being so many good folks here I wanna do a roll call but I might miss somebody but you're all my family although we might disagree about this or that, the internet would be very boring for me without this wonderful place, so happy birthday Soulful Detroit and here's to the next sixteen...
    Hey man, this place wouldn't be SDF without you. Just back off the hooch a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post
    If it is possible, I would like to know the following:

At the end of the first year of operation, how many members were there from how many states?

Currently, how many members are there and from how many states? Do we have members in every state?

Would be interesting to know.
    From what i've been able to figure out, we have people from:

Georgia
    South Carolina
    Texas
    Illinois
    New York
    Ohio
    California
    Arizona
    Washington
    Connecticut
    Nevada

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post

Georgia
    South Carolina
    Texas
    Illinois
    New York
    Ohio
    California
    Arizona
    Washington
    Connecticut
    Nevada
    add Michigan, Maryland, Jersey. The U.K., Canada and Spain could be added as well.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    add Michigan, Maryland, Jersey. The U.K., Canada and Spain could be added as well.
    Woohoo, go UK!
    [[England)

Yeah, I forgot to mention the obvious: Michigan.

He specifically implied states, meaning the United States. That's why I didn't mention countries, or their states.

Georgia
    South Carolina
    Texas
    Illinois
    New York
    Ohio
    California
    Arizona
    Washington
    Connecticut
    Nevada
    You can add DELAWARE to the list.

I've been combing the back pages to see if I could find any information for you guys. Besides the varying States, what about nations? We just had a gentleman from China join us.

I know you can add Pennsylvania to the list. And North Carolina if the person I was is contact with still lives in NC.

I recall we once had a thread that included a map and we had the ability to put a push-pin on the area where we live. Does anyone else remember this and would it still be in the archives if it was before the big melt-down?

Oldies

Happy Birthday Soulful Detroit! I have never been able to post on a regular basis, but I try to chime in when I have time, as long as it is not about The Supremes [[my interview with Cindy Birdsong brought me lots of unwanted grief and I learned my lesson not to go near them again). Thanks to everyone who keep it about the music. I especially enjoy when people share first-hand information on the unsung but just as talented artists like Barbara Lewis, Jackie Moore, Margie Joseph, The Velvelettes, The Monitors, the Philly Int'l roster, etc, etc,.
    Again, happy birthday Soulful Detroit! Long may you prosper. And thank you Ralph for all that you do.
    Jim
    Last edited by JimBagley; 10-04-2016 at 09:02 AM.

I've been combing the back pages to see if I could find any information for you guys. Besides the varying States, what about nations? We just had a gentleman from China join us.
    I remember a couple of guys from the Netherlands from a while back.

Yeah, I forgot to mention the obvious: Michigan.

He specifically implied states, meaning the United States. That's why I didn't mention countries, or their states.
    No problem and sorry. But we could add Florida where Randy and his brother are.

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 425
Size:  21.1 KB
    We have Heikki from Finland, I am from The Netherlands, but also live in Munich , Germany, Alleroed, Denmark, Los Angeles, California and West Kildonan, Manitoba -and post from all those places at various times throughout the year. I think we have Davie Gordon from Scotland, Lars Nilsson from Sweden, I also post from Sweden and Belgium, and sometimes Austria.
    Last edited by robb_k; 10-04-2016 at 02:09 PM.

I remember a couple of guys from the Netherlands from a while back.
Views: 429
    Yeah! Robbert [[may he rest in peace) [[and another Robbert[[myself).

Quote Originally Posted by oldiesmusicfan View Post
    I know you can add Pennsylvania to the list. And North Carolina if the person I was is contact with still lives in NC.

I recall we once had a thread that included a map and we had the ability to put a push-pin on the area where we live. Does anyone else remember this and would it still be in the archives if it was before the big melt-down?

Oldies
Views: 387
    Mike McLean moved to North Carolina, and made a few posts from there.

Robb......
    ....for some reason I thought you were from B.C.

Didn't we have [[or still have) a regular poster from Boise, Idaho? Can't remember his name, but I believe he worked at Boise State.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug-Morgan View Post
    Robb......
    ....for some reason I thought you were from B.C.

Didn't we have [[or still have) a regular poster from Boise, Idaho? Can't remember his name, but I believe he worked at Boise State.
Views: 413
    That's my OTHER namesake, Jobete Rob!

From Canada, we have Jobete Rob from B.C., we had somebody from Alberta [[Calgary?), but he doesn't post anymore. No one from Saskatchewan, Me from Manitoba, The schoolteacher from Toronto, Ontario and we had a couple others from Ontario, The Music Professor from Montreal, Quebec, nobody from Prince Edward Island, nobody from New Brunswick or Nova Scotia, nobody from Newfoundland, nobody from The Yukon, Nobody from Nunavut, and no one from The Northwest Territories, as far as I remember.
    Last edited by robb_k; 10-04-2016 at 02:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
Views: 429
    Yeah! Robbert [[may he rest in peace) [[and another Robbert[[myself).
    Yes I remember our friend Robbert, RIP.

From Canada, we have Jobete Rob from B.C., we had somebody from Alberta [[Calgary?), but he doesn't post anymore. No one from Saskatchewan, Me from Manitoba, The schoolteacher from Toronto, Ontario and we had a couple others fromOntario, The Music Professor from Montreal, Quebec, nobody from Prince Edward Island, nobody from Nova Scotia, nobody from Newfoundland, nobody from The Yukon, Nobody from Nunavut, and no one from The Northwest Territories, as far as I remember.
    We have Mark Desjardines from Ottawa.

From Canada, we have Jobete Rob from B.C., we had somebody from Alberta [[Calgary?), but he doesn't post anymore. No one from Saskatchewan, Me from Manitoba, The schoolteacher from Toronto, Ontario and we had a couple others fromOntario, The Music Professor from Montreal, Quebec, nobody from Prince Edward Island, nobody from Nova Scotia, nobody from Newfoundland, nobody from The Yukon, Nobody from Nunavut, and no one from The Northwest Territories, as far as I remember.
    Robb, don't laugh but sometimes I listen to this radio station out of Nunavut. They play great 80s music. LOL

Robb, don't laugh but sometimes I listen to this radio station out of Nunavut. They play great 80s music. LOL
Views: 398
    Do you get it only after sundown? Do the DJs announce the songs in Inuit or English?
    Last edited by robb_k; 10-03-2016 at 11:14 PM.

Attachment 11754
    Do you get it only after sundown? Do the DJs announce the songs in Inuit or English?
    No, I get it clear as a bell over the internet. I will post the link.

Attachment 11754
    No, I get it clear as a bell over the internet. It broadcasts out of Iqaluit, NU, Canada. Here's the link:

http://www.1035capitalfm.ca/

The station is broadcast in English unlike the television station there that is a part of the CBC network that broadcast the news in Inuit.