[REMOVE ADS]




Results 1 to 48 of 48
  1. #1

    LP's you'd like to see on CD

    A couple of mine. As far as I know, they never made it to CD.

    Hot Butterfly....The Sweet Inspirations
    Hodges, James and Smith (any of their records).





  2. #2
    HEAR HEAR for H, J and S!!!!!!!!! Been wanting them for years!!!!

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by lakeside View Post
    A couple of mine. As far as I know, they never made it to CD.

    Hot Butterfly....The Sweet Inspirations
    Hodges, James and Smith (any of their records).




    Have to agree with you on these choices, and i have a sneaky feeling there could be some good news coming our way soon............

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Have to agree with you on these choices, and i have a sneaky feeling there could be some good news coming our way soon............
    Wow.....I hope you're on the money with that Bluerock! Maybe Christmas will come early?

  5. #5
    The Supremes:
    ON BROADWAY

    Aretha Franklin:
    SWEET PASSION
    ALMIGHTY FIRE
    LA DIVA

    Martha Reeves and the Vandellas:
    LIVE

  6. #6
    Undisputed Truth
    Leslie Uggams

  7. #7
    Look What You're Doing To The Man - Melba Moore - 1971 (her 2nd album)

    Name:  melba.jpg
Views: 1027
Size:  5.9 KB

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by lakeside View Post
    Wow.....I hope you're on the money with that Bluerock! Maybe Christmas will come early?
    Not quite so soon i'm afraid but keep a look out in 2017.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    The Supremes:
    ON BROADWAY

    Aretha Franklin:
    SWEET PASSION
    ALMIGHTY FIRE
    LA DIVA

    Martha Reeves and the Vandellas:
    LIVE
    I would like to see the 3 Aretha albums. By no means her best but all contained some good music,

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Not quite so soon i'm afraid but keep a look out in 2017.
    I'll keep my Christmas tree up! A present(s) worth waiting for...indeed!

  11. #11
    Rhetta Hughes "Relight My Fire"


  12. #12

    Aretha

    Two obvious ones for me are Aretha's last two on Atlantic - 'You' and 'With everything I feel in me' They got slagged off a bit, but That are part of musical history - Aretha/Atlantic/Wexler. High time they were out on CD

  13. #13
    Two albums that I'd like to see on CD are Edwin Birdsong's first LP called "What It Is" from 1971 and Mother Night's* self-titled debut (and only) album from 1972.

    *Mother Night was a great rock influenced funk band from NYC (with a sound like a mix of Tower Of Power & Chicago). They had moderate hits with "(Send Your Roaches To) Julie Nixon" and "Scuffle".

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post
    Rhetta Hughes "Relight My Fire"

    Good one...I'll support that

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by waynesville View Post
    Two obvious ones for me are Aretha's last two on Atlantic - 'You' and 'With everything I feel in me' They got slagged off a bit, but That are part of musical history - Aretha/Atlantic/Wexler. High time they were out on CD
    I'm afraid Waynesville, you'll be waiting a long time for those two Aretha albums to be reissued along with her "Sweet Passion", "Almighty Fire" and "La Diva" albums, as Aretha owns the masters to all those albums and doesn't appear to be any rush in getting them reissued on CD (or any other format for that matter). There was talk a few years back that she was, or had been, talking to Universal about getting expanded CD editions of all those albums issued but nothing ever came of that.

    Ivor

  16. #16
    Hi Ivor..I didn't realise that - I assumed that Atlantic did. Thanks for the insight..

  17. #17
    Name:  HJS 2.jpg
Views: 1098
Size:  11.3 KB
    Anything by Hodges, James & Smith would be great! They are long over due and it would be nice to reissue something of theirs while Pat (the only living member) is still with us.
    Last edited by brother_love; 10-20-2016 at 01:11 AM.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by waynesville View Post
    Hi Ivor..I didn't realise that - I assumed that Atlantic did. Thanks for the insight..
    Don't know what the deal was there Waynesville but Aretha assumed control/ownership of those said albums when she left Atlantic at the end of '79.

    Ivor

  19. #19
    - Bobby Nunn - Second To Nunn (Motown 1982)
    - Bobby Nunn - Fresh (Motown 1984 - unreleased)
    - Kagney/Kagny - same title (Motown 1984 - unreleased - featuring Sherrick)
    - The Mizell Brothers (unreleased album - from the acetate/testpressing which i remember seeing, recorded in the Motown studios)
    - Potter & Tillman - New York/ L.A. Coasting (Poet 1980)
    - Ebonee Webb - Too Hot (Capitol 1983)
    - Kwick - Foreplay (Capitol 1983)
    - Kiddo - Action (A&M 1984)

  20. #20
    A box set of The Intruders:

    The Intruders Are Together
    Cowboys To Girls
    When We Get Married
    Energy of Love

  21. #21
    The two Columbia albums by Ronnie Dyson:

    Columbia C-30223 Why Can't I Touch You
    Columbia KC-32211 One Man Band

    The One Man Band album was produced by Thom Bell.

    To my knowledge these are the only two albums he released and to my knowledge neither have been released on CD. Hopefully someday they will.

  22. #22
    Supremes Jimmy Webb

  23. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post
    The two Columbia albums by Ronnie Dyson:

    Columbia C-30223 Why Can't I Touch You
    Columbia KC-32211 One Man Band

    The One Man Band album was produced by Thom Bell.

    To my knowledge these are the only two albums he released and to my knowledge neither have been released on CD. Hopefully someday they will.
    Ronnie released seven albums "(If You Let Me Make Love To You Then) Why Can't I Touch You?" & "One Man Band" they were both on the Collectables CD "His All Time Golden Classics" in 1995 with two bonus tracks. There have been other Sony reissued comps as well.
    Name:  Ronnie.jpg
Views: 775
Size:  10.0 KB

  24. #24
    Ronnie McNeir - Ronnie McNeir Experience - 1984 Capitol (mini album, and it would be great if his 45 single "My Baby" (Setting Sun Records) was added as a bonus track).

    Rance Allen Group - I'm Going My Way - 1980 Stax
    Last edited by cozmic; 11-05-2016 at 12:35 AM.

  25. #25
    I saw Hodges James and Smith cds on Dusty Grove I believe. Not sure which ones

  26. #26
    Undisputed Truth - Cosmic Truth, and Higher Than High.

    Rare Earth - Midnight Lady.

  27. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Truth View Post
    Undisputed Truth - Cosmic Truth, and Higher Than High.

    Rare Earth - Midnight Lady.
    Those Undisputed Truth albums are FUNKAAYY!!! I love "Earthquake Shake" and "Poontang". Cosmic Truth - as a fellow Undisputed Truth lover - what are your favourites?
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 11-12-2016 at 03:42 PM.

  28. #28
    None,i don't like cd's-hehehehehehe!!!

  29. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Those Undisputed Truth albums are FUNKAAYY!!! I love "Earthquake Shake" and "Poontang". Cosmic Truth - as a fellow Undisputed Truth lover - what are your favourites?
    My favourite song, by any artist, is The Undisputed Truth's version of You Make Your Own Heaven And Hell Right Here On Earth. Their version of Ball of Confusion is also an amazing piece of music.

    From those two albums It would have go be Lil' Red Ridin' Hood, UFO's, Poontang, and Ma.

  30. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Truth View Post
    My favourite song, by any artist, is The Undisputed Truth's version of You Make Your Own Heaven And Hell Right Here On Earth. Their version of Ball of Confusion is also an amazing piece of music.

    From those two albums It would have go be Lil' Red Ridin' Hood, UFO's, Poontang, and Ma.
    Thanks Cosmic.

    Nice. That guitar solo half-way through "Ma" is crazaayy, hehe. I also love "Help Yourself" and "I'm A Fool For You" from their previous album. And, of course, "Smiling Faces Sometimes"

  31. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Thanks Cosmic.

    Nice. That guitar solo half-way through "Ma" is crazaayy, hehe. I also love "Help Yourself" and "I'm A Fool For You" from their previous album. And, of course, "Smiling Faces Sometimes"
    Cracking song. I also like their version of Big John is My Name.

  32. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Truth View Post
    Cracking song. I also like their version of Big John is My Name.
    For some reason I had never actually heard "Big John" before...

    Just listened to 30 seconds of it on YouTube and can already tell that I'm going to love it, hehe. Thank you Cosmic Truth!

  33. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    For some reason I had never actually heard "Big John" before...

    Just listened to 30 seconds of it on YouTube and can already tell that I'm going to love it, hehe. Thank you Cosmic Truth!
    No problem Tom, happy to help.

    As far as I know, the Motown Milestones CD is the only CD of the Undisputed Truth to have Big John Is My Name on it.
    Last edited by Cosmic Truth; 11-18-2016 at 06:46 PM.

  34. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Truth View Post
    No problem Tom, happy to help.

    As far as I know, the Motown Milestones CD is the only CD of the Undisputed Truth to have Big John Is My Name on it.
    Yes, I believe you are right! Not available on iTunes though, which is just criminal!!

    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 662
Size:  14.7 KB

  35. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Yes, I believe you are right! Not available on iTunes though, which is just criminal!!

    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 662
Size:  14.7 KB
    Shocking. For that alone, I hope Apple go out of business!

  36. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Those Undisputed Truth albums are FUNKAAYY!!! I love "Earthquake Shake" and "Poontang". Cosmic Truth - as a fellow Undisputed Truth lover - what are your favourites?
    I still like "Face to Face With the Truth" the best of all theirs, though "Method to the Madness" with the later line-up is also great. Happy to say they are both on CD and both remastered just beautifully!

  37. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by lakeside View Post
    A couple of mine. As far as I know, they never made it to CD.

    Hot Butterfly....The Sweet Inspirations
    Hodges, James and Smith (any of their records).




    Were any of these 'Sweets' from the original lineup? None of them look familiar. I knew about this album but never heard it.

    I did love their Stax LP "Estelle, Myrna and Sylvia." I think it may have been available briefly on CD (maybe Japan). Thought that album was epic. A real Stax background worked with them so well, and some of the songs were long in the Isaac Hayes tradition - with lots of drama.

  38. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Truth View Post
    Shocking. For that alone, I hope Apple go out of business!
    Hehe, I agree!

    Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    I still like "Face to Face With the Truth" the best of all theirs, though "Method to the Madness" with the later line-up is also great. Happy to say they are both on CD and both remastered just beautifully!
    Yes indeed! "You Make Your Own Heaven And Hell" and "You + Me = Love" are completely different yet equally brilliant!!

  39. #39

  40. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    Were any of these 'Sweets' from the original lineup? None of them look familiar. I knew about this album but never heard it.

    I did love their Stax LP "Estelle, Myrna and Sylvia." I think it may have been available briefly on CD (maybe Japan). Thought that album was epic. A real Stax background worked with them so well, and some of the songs were long in the Isaac Hayes tradition - with lots of drama.
    In 1973, Estelle, Myrna, and Sylvia recorded an album for Stax Records. By 1979, Estelle had quit the group and was replaced by Gloria Brown, who toured with them but didn’t sing on The Sweet Inspirations’ last LP, Hot Butterfly, on RSO Records, with singer Pat Terry featured on the actual recording. They group broke up shortly thereafter. In 1978, the group sang backing vocals on Frankie Valli's No.1 hit "Grease" from the film of the same name. In 1979, the group toured with The Bee Gees during their U.S. Spirits Having Flown Tour singing backup.
    The Sweet Inspirations (Estelle, Myrna and Sylvia) got back together again in 1994, with new member Portia Griffin. They perform at Elvis Presley tribute shows and released new material in 2005. Sylvia suffered a stroke in 2001 that has kept her from performing with the group. They also recorded choir backing for The Killers' 2004 recording, Hot Fuss, on songs "Andy, You're a Star" and "All These Things That I've Done". Sylvia Shemwell died on February 13, 2010.
    In March 2010, while on a European tour for Elvis: The Concert, Myrna Smith developed pneumonia. Once back in the U.S., her condition continued to deteriorate, as she suffered kidney failure, further complicated by a severe stroke. By October 2010, she was a patient at the Canyon Oaks Nursing & Rehabilitation Center in Canoga Park, California.[1] Myrna Smith died on December 24, 2010.[5]
    Estelle Brown, along with Portia Griffin made the difficult decision to replace Myrna with LA based singer Kelly Jones; as of March 2011, The Sweet Inspirations are continuing to perform backup vocals with Elvis: The Concert and continue to do many concerts worldwide with Elvis Presley Enterprises' first ever "Ultimate Elvis Tribute Artist", Shawn Klush,[6] sometimes as a duo and other times as a trio

  41. #41
    Ray Charles' ABC albums.

  42. #42
    Luther (1976) and This Close to You (1977)

  43. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_june View Post
    A box set of The Intruders:

    The Intruders Are Together
    Cowboys To Girls
    When We Get Married
    Energy of Love
    ... Hey, Mr_june! and what happens with "Save The Children"?
    I don't well understand if here we're talking ONLY about LP's that EXIST before or not necessary, also CD's renditions we hope to see from some albums previously unissued.

    I knows there's one album by Dennis Edwards on PIR; a second Anthony White album also on PIR; one album unissued by Margie Joseph produced by Dexter Wansel; in general, previously unissued Phlly Soul albums on PIR and other labels.

  44. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by lakeside View Post
    It's criminal that the Mirettes have been totally ignored in the digital era.

    Ivor

  45. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by jack020 View Post
    Luther (1976) and This Close to You (1977)
    I wouldn't hold my breath for those because they're very unlikely to happen because of Luther's own wishes not to reissue them.

    Ivor

  46. #46
    Ivor, I know but I can still dream about it!

  47. #47
    No words needed...

    THE POWER THE GLORY AND THE MUSIC - Hubert Laws , Nina Simone , Stanley Turrentine

    https://images.recordsale.de/600/600...-the-music.jpg

  48. #48
    Again, Ray Charles on ABC.

    It's kind of unusual, to say "Ray Charles", quite the name on jazz, blues, soul, country, and music, here, but as a buyer / listener / collector of CD reissues, yes, his Atlantic records, readily available with "I've Got A Woman", "Hallelujah, I Love Her So" and "What I Say", can be found, early ABC perhaps also, "Modern Sounds of Country and Western" too, but why not "Crying Time"? Why not "Doing His Thing"?

    Even through his death, is the Ray Charles estate for any particular reason holding them back from mass mainstream or even specialized markets reissued release? We are talking the name RAY CHARLES here!
    Last edited by Ngroove; 12-08-2016 at 07:44 PM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

[REMOVE ADS]

Ralph Terrana
MODERATOR

Welcome to Soulful Detroit! Kindly Consider Turning Off Your Ad BlockingX
Soulful Detroit is a free service that relies on revenue from ad display [regrettably] and donations. We notice that you are using an ad-blocking program that prevents us from earning revenue during your visit.
Ads are REMOVED for Members who donate to Soulful Detroit. [You must be logged in for ads to disappear]
DONATE HERE »
And have Ads removed.