[REMOVE ADS]

Help Yourself to a bit of this...

"Help Yourself" by The Undisputed Truth

Sometimes I think I am going mad - is this track absolutely brilliant or is it just me?

A funk/disco floorfiller masterpiece, courtesy of the brilliant Norman Whitfield

I should mention that this was recorded by the criminally-underrated second line-up of The Undisputed Truth...

The members were Tyrone "Lil Ty" Barkeley, Tyrone "Big Ty" Douglas, Calvin "Dhaak" Stephenson [[or "Doc"), Virginia "V" McDonald [[or "Vee") and - of course - Joe "Pep" Harris!

Hey thanks TomatoTom123 for this one. I haven't seen it before.

Now I have to figure out the year and which grouping this one was LOL!

This aired March 16, 1974

Quote Originally Posted by johnny_raven View Post
    This aired March 16, 1974
    Thank you Johnny. So this is just a few years before they went "Galactic" LOL

You're welcome!
    And yea, this was just before Norman Whitfield "reinvented" the group with Funkadelic-influenced space-themed music and weird outfits...

BEFORE
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 657
Size:  10.2 KB

AFTER
    Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 649
Size:  18.0 KB

Just to be clear, they are the same people!!!

Because of my love for The Undisputed Truth, I have finally found out who is who:

In the first photo, Joe is on the far left, Big Ty is in the middle at the front, Lil Ty is on the far right, the "Doc" is at the back in the middle and Vee is in the top right

[[In the second photo, well, you're on your own... LOL!)

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Just to be clear, they are the same people!!!

Because of my love for The Undisputed Truth, I have finally found out who is who:

In the first photo, Joe is on the far left, Big Ty is in the middle at the front, Lil Ty is on the far right, the "Doc" is at the back in the middle and Vee is in the top right

[[In the second photo, well, you're on your own... LOL!)
    Taka Boom replaced her right?

Yea, when they left Motown and followed Norman to Whitfield Records, Vee and Big Ty left - Vee was replaced by Taka Boom!

Taka lead them on their 1976 disco hit "You + Me = Love"
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 09-20-2016 at 07:21 PM.

Yea, when they left Motown and followed Norman to Whitfield Records, Vee and Big Ty left - Vee was replaced by Taka Boom!

Taka lead them on their 1976 disco hit "You + Me = Love"
    That was a great record. I remember it well. Thanks TomatoTom123.

True [[it is a fantastic song), and you're welcome!

Sometimes I think I am going mad - is this track absolutely brilliant or is it just me?

A funk/disco floorfiller masterpiece, courtesy of the brilliant Norman Whitfield

I should mention that this was recorded by the criminally-underrated second line-up of The Undisputed Truth...

The members were Tyrone "Lil Ty" Barkeley, Tyrone "Big Ty" Douglas, Calvin "Dhaak" Stephenson [[or "Doc"), Virginia "V" McDonald [[or "Vee") and - of course - Joe "Pep" Harris!
    ...and I'm a fool for this track, same feel as Help Yourself

YESS, Love that one too!!!
    They are both absolutely FANTASTIC

I feel more sane, Thanks, soulwally!
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 09-21-2016 at 01:05 PM.

honest man Guest

Love this Norman Whitfield period also his Yvonne Fair productions,cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by honest man View Post
    Love this Norman Whitfield period also his Yvonne Fair productions,cheers.
    Yes, he was a genius! Love Yvonne Fair, too, especially her classic "It Should Have Been Me"

Yes, he was a genius! Love Yvonne Fair, too, especially her classic "It Should Have Been Me"
    This should have been a huge hit, but that is Billie Rae Calvin's beautiful voice on this song.

Norman Whitfield's uptempo productions on The Undisputed Truth were HOT -- especially under the headphones! "Help Yourself" and "I'm A Food For You" were no exception.

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    This should have been a huge hit, but that is Billie Rae Calvin's beautiful voice on this song.
    Ah - I believe that Billie Calvin left The Truth about a year before this, and it is actually Virginia "V" McDonald who sings lead with Joe on both "Help Yourself" and "I'm A Fool For You".
    Virginia [[or just "Vee") is who you see in the brilliant video at the top!

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    Norman Whitfield's uptempo productions on The Undisputed Truth were HOT -- especially under the headphones! "Help Yourself" and "I'm A Food For You" were no exception.
    Couldn't have said it better!!!

This incredibly FUNK-TASTIC dance number from 1975...

"Higher Than High" by The Undisputed Truth

I was listening to Rose Royce's version of this utterly fantastic song today and thought I'd post it here for comparison...

so much good Motown stuff that got lost in the shuffle & not promoted in the 70's.

Just discovered 'Sunshine' on their 'Method To The Madness' album, Wow!
    Although Norman Whitfield is mostly associated with the funky psychedelic sounds, he was a genius when it came to slow ballads. Always loved the Rose Royce slow stuff like 'I Wanna Get Next To You' and 'I'm In Love' which were a progression from the superb Temptaions ballads of the 70's. Think a compilation of Whitfields ballads would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by motony View Post
    so much good Motown stuff that got lost in the shuffle & not promoted in the 70's.
    Yes indeed Tony! This has to be one of my all time FAVE songs, and yet it didn't even crack the Top 40. Crazy! That must be due to lack of promotion, surely!!!

Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
    Just discovered 'Sunshine' on their 'Method To The Madness' album, Wow!
    Although Norman Whitfield is mostly associated with the funky psychedelic sounds, he was a genius when it came to slow ballads. Always loved the Rose Royce slow stuff like 'I Wanna Get Next To You' and 'I'm In Love' which were a progression from the superb Temptaions ballads of the 70's. Think a compilation of Whitfields ballads would be great.
    Yes, very interesting point, masterblaster. While both Norman Whitfield and The Undisputed Truth are better known for [[and they did more of) their funky pyschedelic soul, when they did do ballads, they were fantastic. I recently discovered the group's lovely rendition of "Just My Imagination", which is just great. "Girl, You're Alright" is also a very nice mid-tempo ballad. Oh and I almost forgot "Since I've Lost You" which The Undisputed Truth did an excellent version of!

"Sunshine" is indeed a superb and beautiful ballad, too. A Whitfield ballad compilation would be just great!

Last edited by TomatoTom123; 04-05-2017 at 11:14 AM.

Just beautiful... has that "Just My Imagination" vibe to it. As well as the legendary Joe "Pep" Harris, the song also features lead vocals from Tyrone "Lil Ty" Barkley, who sadly passed this February. This is truly a mini-masterpiece, and one of Lil Ty's best vocal performances!
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 04-05-2017 at 11:15 AM.

Wow, lovely rendition of a Temps track, different enough to make it their own. Wish this was available on CD.

Wow, Tomato Tom, just heard 'Talkin' To The Wind ' on the 'Smokin' ' album, another hidden gem, confirming the genius that was Norman Whitfield. I want all the Undistputed Truths albums to uncover all thier slow ballads. Previous thread was referring to Just My Imagination by the way, this group can do no wrong imo.

As you've probably guessed, I purchased the 'Method To The Madness / Smokin' twofer this week, what a great package at a very reasonable price. Bought for the hits, but all the other tracks are outstanding.

Yes indeed, masterblaster, their version of "Just My Imagination" is just lovely. It's familiar but not too similar to The Tempts' original.

I'm just checking out "Talkin' To The Wind" right now and, wow, it's great! Sadly I'm not familiar enough with this incarnation of the group [[1979) and don't know who is singing. He's really great though. I will have to get that double CD in the near future!!!

But trust me, masterblaster, The Undisputed Truth really were amazing, and Norman whitfield really was a musical genius! And here is all the evidence you'd need to prove that... it's nothing less than a 11-minute disco-funk extravaganza-masterpiece!

Last edited by TomatoTom123; 04-05-2017 at 08:18 PM.