[REMOVE ADS]

Mary Wilson & Princess Margaret

Ok so Mary has talked a few times about Princess Margaret's wig comment and how there was a photo in the news glaring at Princess Margaret.

When she decribes it, she makes it sound like early years [[before Cindy Birdsong) but any photos I can find of her with Princess Margaret is with Cindy Birdsong there. Is that the same incident? I don't know if this is something anybody would know!

Thanks

The incident with Princess Margaret was from November 1968. Mary also usually tells the story saying that the Supremes performed for Queen Elizabeth, which is technically right, but it was Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother, not the reigning Queen Elizabeth.

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    The incident with Princess Margaret was from November 1968. Mary also usually tells the story saying that the Supremes performed for Queen Elizabeth, which is technically right, but it was Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother, not the reigning Queen Elizabeth.
    That is correct. The Supremes performed a set at the Royal Variety Performance in Nov 1968. Diana also did a solo set in 1991 at which i was present. This was in front of the reigning Queen Elizabeth.

On a side note -

When Dusty Springfield performed at the Royal Albert Hall in 1979 with Princess Margaret in attendance, Dusty commented "It’s nice to see the royalty isn’t confined to the box" [[referring to her gay fans)

Princess Margaret was so incensed she sent a pre typed letter to Dusty with an apology to the Queen for insulting her, and insisted she signed it and returned it.

Sadly - Dusty DID sign it and return it.

Perhaps Dusty felt guilty for telling 'Gay news' [[magazine) that same year that she was "Having a three way with Margaret and one of her horses"

Quote Originally Posted by lakedistrictlad1 View Post
    On a side note -

When Dusty Springfield performed at the Royal Albert Hall in 1979 with Princess Margaret in attendance, Dusty commented "It’s nice to see the royalty isn’t confined to the box" [[referring to her gay fans)

Princess Margaret was so incensed she sent a pre typed letter to Dusty with an apology to the Queen for insulting her, and insisted she signed it and returned it.

Sadly - Dusty DID sign it and return it.

Perhaps Dusty felt guilty for telling 'Gay news' [[magazine) that same year that she was "Having a three way with Margaret and one of her horses"
    Good old Dusty! You had to love her. She didn't care what she said. Princess Margaret had little room to criticise anyone. She led a lazy, privileged life and barely had to do a days work in her life, and as for her very long list of lovers.........

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Good old Dusty! You had to love her. She didn't care what she said. Princess Margaret had little room to criticise anyone. She led a lazy, privileged life and barely had to do a days work in her life, and as for her very long list of lovers.........
    This all reminds me of Dinah Washington's command performance. Onstage she said something to the effect of "There is only one queen...and your Elizabeth is an imposter!" The crowd ate it up! QE2 took it in stride.
    Last edited by sansradio; 09-19-2016 at 10:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    This all reminds me of Dinah Washington's command performance. Onstage she said something to the effect of "There is only one queen...and your Elizabeth is an imposter!" The crowd ate it up! QE2 took it in stride.
    Oh i didn't know that!! That must have been a great moment.

Oh i didn't know that!! That must have been a great moment.
    That Dinah was a pistol!

That Dinah was a pistol!
    Wasn't she just? I would have loved to have seen her live in concert.

Wasn't she just? I would have loved to have seen her live in concert.
    Me, too! Pound for pound, she's absolutely one of the greatest vocalists of all time. She sure accomplished a great deal in her 39 short years on this planet.

Me, too! Pound for pound, she's absolutely one of the greatest vocalists of all time. She sure accomplished a great deal in her 39 short years on this planet.
    She was a very old 39 by the time she passed.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    She was a very old 39 by the time she passed.
    Be that as it may, her place in history cannot be denied. She was the bridge between Billie and Aretha, after all. For that and her impressive body of work, I think she can be forgiven the fact of her "hard living."
    Last edited by sansradio; 09-20-2016 at 08:12 AM.

Dinah, if she wanted to, could sing ANYTHING. ANYTHING. She kept up with the greatest blues players, and on her "Dinah Jams" record, she keeps up with some all-time jazz greats. Listen closely to her duets with Brook Benton, especially "You got what it takes". She and Brook were about to fight in the studio. Literally.

Quote Originally Posted by stingbeelee View Post
    Dinah, if she wanted to, could sing ANYTHING. ANYTHING. She kept up with the greatest blues players, and on her "Dinah Jams" record, she keeps up with some all-time jazz greats. Listen closely to her duets with Brook Benton, especially "You got what it takes". She and Brook were about to fight in the studio. Literally.
    Indeed! "You're in my spot again, honey....NOWWWW it's you!" LOL!!!! Also, at fade of "A Rockin' Good Way...": Brook-"Do you like to rock?"
    Dinah-"Stay outta my spot." Hilarious. And yes, she could hold her own with anyone in any genre. Her recording of "The Lord's Prayer" is electrifying.
    Last edited by sansradio; 09-20-2016 at 10:50 AM.

honest man Guest
    That is correct. The Supremes performed a set at the Royal Variety Performance in Nov 1968. Diana also did a solo set in 1991 at which i was present. This was in front of the reigning Queen Elizabeth.
    Maybe Margaret was mad at Mary for knocking off Tom Jones and she wanted him,they both liked married men i believe, this may help situation,cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by honest man View Post
    Maybe Margaret was mad at Mary for knocking off Tom Jones and she wanted him,they both liked married men i believe, this may help situation,cheers.
    Honest man - You do not know how close you are to the truth here...........

honest man Guest
    Honest man - You do not know how close you are to the truth here...........
    I Know i only speak the truth also they both had- knocked off Steve Mc queen.t who was also married ,hose dirty gals.

Quote Originally Posted by honest man View Post
    I Know i only speak the truth also they both had- knocked off Steve Mc queen.t who was also married ,hose dirty gals.
    Yes indeed. Diana was castigated for her affair with Berry Gordy but Mary was far more active in the married men market as was Princess Margaret.

honest man Guest
    Yes indeed. Diana was castigated for her affair with Berry Gordy but Mary was far more active in the married men market as was Princess Margaret.
    Yes indeed Diana AND Berry's was no secret,it was open and out there unlike the Tom Jones and Steve Mcqueen affairs which Mary chose to write about in her trashy Dreamgirl books.I was appaulled and threw the dirty book in the trash where it belonged.

Speaking of trash; this thread is a little stale.

Quote Originally Posted by ralpht View Post
    Speaking of trash; this thread is a little stale.
    Ralph,
    I encourage you to implement a new rule: no trashing of any former or current Motown artist, living or deceased. Penalty for violating the rule = first time public warning, second time banning. Apply to everyone equally regardless of any lame excuses they might come up with.
    This should be a place to celebrate our Motown family, not disparage it with tawdry rumors and cheap pot-shots.
    Of course, you're the moderator so its up to you and I respect your decisions.
    Thanxal.

Be that as it may, her place in history cannot be denied. She was the bridge between Billie and Aretha, after all. For that and her impressive body of work, I think she can be forgiven the fact of her "hard living."
    I like that..........................The bridge between Billie and Aretha.
    I like that a lot.

Al, I see your point and I have never understood why threads regarding Supremes always seems to go south. I'll keep your advice in mind though.

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    I like that..........................The bridge between Billie and Aretha.
    I like that a lot.
    I appreciate that, captainjames!