[REMOVE ADS]

National Museum of African American History/Culture - Washington, DC

I realize that the museum just recently opened. I am wondering if they have any TRACES of Motown memorabilia or history in the facility.

If anyone learns of any it would be of interest.

Maybe Marv2 will be attending the place in the near future.

Thank you.

Update: I just read in today's Washington Post the following:

This was in a Qustion & Answer session with Quincy Jones.

Question to Quincy: "They've got Michael Jackson's fedora and Victory tour jacket in the museum."

I would be very surprised if there wasn't mention of Motown many times. This past Sunday, CBS SUNDAY MORNING did a story on the museum, with Quincy Jones. I caught a small glimpse of LADY SINGS THE BLUES playing on a video screen. I'm sure there are other things.

Bump: Rachel Maddow did a virtual tour on her show tonight; I noticed a famous still from MAHOGANY prominently installed on the walls. It's the post-shopping scene in Rome between Diana and Billy Dee [["It's a whole new thing here!"). I'll try to post a link.
    Last edited by sansradio; 09-23-2016 at 09:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post
    I realize that the museum just recently opened. I am wondering if they have any TRACES of Motown memorabilia or history in the facility.

If anyone learns of any it would be of interest.

Maybe Marv2 will be attending the place in the near future.

Thank you.
    Woodward I always appreciate you're thinking of me and if I can ever offer anything of interest to the forum on this and other subjects, I will gladly share it with you all.

Adjacent to the MAHOGANY still is a great shot of The Jackson 5 in a TV performance.

Here's a link to the featured Mahogany photo as promised:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...bb66989632.jpg

From Philly.com today

The piano used by master songsmith Thom Bell to help craft the distinctively soulful musical footprint known as the legendary “Sound of Philadelphia.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Here's a link to the featured Mahogany photo as promised:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...bb66989632.jpg
    Theres also costumes Diane Ross wore in Lady Sings the Blues on display sans radio.

fondly,

Roberta

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    Theres also costumes Diane Ross wore in Lady Sings the Blues on display sans radio.

fondly,

Roberta
    Fantastic! Did any of you catch the ceremony? What a majestic edifice; what a moving celebration! I was moved to tears.

https://www.c-span.org/video/?415014...ns-dc&live&vod

I was there last week! I went home to attend my high school reunion, Howard D. Woodson Sr. High. Last Saturday there was an open house preview exclusively for charter members, which my sister Joanne is, so she got two tickets for us to go.It is absolutely beautiful and amazing! Our history is traced chronologically starting on the bottom floor, moving forward in time with each ascending floor. There is an Oprah Winfrey Theater there. On the top floor there are running films illustrating our more recent history, and in regards to Motown, there were photos in the film of Motown artists. The photo of Diana Ross & The Supremes was circa 1969 with them wearing probably their most famous beaded gowns of that time.

Quote Originally Posted by brothadc View Post
    I was there last week! I went home to attend my high school reunion, Howard D. Woodson Sr. High. Last Saturday there was an open house preview exclusively for charter members, which my sister Joanne is, so she got two tickets for us to go.It is absolutely beautiful and amazing! Our history is traced chronologically starting on the bottom floor, moving forward in time with each ascending floor. There is an Oprah Winfrey Theater there. On the top floor there are running films illustrating our more recent history, and in regards to Motown, there were photos in the film of Motown artists. The photo of Diana Ross & The Supremes was circa 1969 with them wearing probably their most famous beaded gowns of that time.
    That's incredible! I'm green with envy! My family and I are plotting to converge in DC at some point during warm weather to experience it together. Thanks for your post!

What's up brothadc,always nice to meet a homey,my wife went to[h.d.woodson-class of 77]glad you saw the museum,i'm planning to visit soon.

Hey what's up Arr&Bee! Sorry for the late response, I just saw your post. Yo, that's cool homey! Your wife graduated with my sister! Did she go to the reunion we just had? Man you are going to really enjoy the museum. I was real happy to go the the preview, but when I saw the opening ceremony, I wish that I could have stayed back home longer and attended that as well! Have a good time when you visit the museum!!

Yeah brother i'm gonna take the family,it's our history we gotta go,always good to talk to someone from home.

Was any Marvin memorabilia there?