[REMOVE ADS]

Mary Wilson - "Up Close" DVD

For those of you that have not seen it, here is an excerpt from Mary Wilson's "Up Close" DVD:

Where's the link Marv!!!! Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    Where's the link Marv!!!! Thanks in advance.
    You're not able to view the video that's embedded?

Thanks Marv for posting these gems!

Thanks Marv for posting these gems!
    It's a great DVD, it really is. The sound quality is like your sitting right there in the club.

track listing .....I have a cd called this,,,was that the soundtrack...I have to find it

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    track listing .....I have a cd called this,,,was that the soundtrack...I have to find it
    Here's the track listing;

Track listing

"Here's to Life"
    "Smile"
    "Body and Soul"
    "I Believe in You and Me"
    "Spring Is Here"
    "Fields of Gold"
    "I Remember You/The Girl from Ipanema/Mas Que Nada"
    "New York State of Mind"
    "Don't Know Why"
    "My World Is Empty Without You"
    "Tears in Heaven"
    "I Am Changing"
    "Both Sides, Now"
    "What a Wonderful World"

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Here's the track listing;

Track listing

"Here's to Life"
    "Smile"
    "Body and Soul"
    "I Believe in You and Me"
    "Spring Is Here"
    "Fields of Gold"
    "I Remember You/The Girl from Ipanema/Mas Que Nada"
    "New York State of Mind"
    "Don't Know Why"
    "My World Is Empty Without You"
    "Tears in Heaven"
    "I Am Changing"
    "Both Sides, Now"
    "What a Wonderful World"
    Marv, I have Mary Wilson's "Up Close" DVD, but my track line-up is quite different and more extensive than yours. Here's mine:

1. Prelude
    2 I'm Every Woman
    3. Love Child
    4. My World Is Empty Without You
    5. Reflections
    6. You Can't Hurry Love
    7. Come See About Me
    8. Back In My Arms Again
    9. Good Lovin'
    10. Body And Soul
    11. Fields Of Gold
    12. You Are So Beautiful
    13. Bad Case Of Lovin' You
    14. Can't Get Enough Of Your Love/Take Me In Your Arms
    15. Baby Love
    16. Stop In The Name Of Love
    17. You Keep Me Hangin' On
    18. U
    19. One Night With You
    20. Walk The Line
    21. Someday We'll Be Together
    22. I Can't Get No Satisfaction/Brown Sugar
    23. Hero

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    Marv, I have Mary Wilson's "Up Close" DVD, but my track line-up is quite different and more extensive than yours. Here's mine:

1. Prelude
    2 I'm Every Woman
    3. Love Child
    5. Reflections
    6. You Can't Hurry Love
    7. Come See About Me
    8. Back In My Arms Again
    9. Good Lovin'
    10. Body And Soul
    11. Fields Of Gold
    12. You Are So Beautiful
    15. Baby Love
    18. U
    19. One Night With You
    20. Walk The Line
    23. Hero

Philles/Motown Gary, that is from "Live at the Sands" DVD you listed. That is a totally different DVD that came out around 2005. The "Up Close" DVD is from 2007 and is Mary's Live Jazz concert. There is also a CD of "Up Close".

Philles/Motown Gary, that is from "Live at the Sands" DVD you listed. That is a totally different DVD that came out around 2005. The "Up Close" DVD is from 2007 and is Mary's Live Jazz concert. There is also a CD of "Up Close".
    Oh, I see. That's confusing because both DVD's are apparently in the "Up Close" series [[mine being "Up Close Live At The Sands". Thanks for setting me straight, Marv. Mary's "Up Close" jazz DVD looks great, although it's gonna be a bumpy road trying to find it. Ebay didn't have it at all, while Amazon had one DVD copy available. I turned my back for a few moments, however, went back to order it, and it was gone! Must have been a fellow Motown Forum member who saw this thread and beat me to it!
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 09-22-2016 at 09:32 AM.

Oh, I see. That's confusing because both DVD's are apparently in the "Up Close" series [[mine being "Up Close Live At The Sands". Thanks for setting me straight, Marv. Mary's "Up Close" jazz DVD looks great, although it's gonna be a bumpy road trying to find it. Amazon had one DVD copy available. I turned my back for a for few moments, went back to order it, and it was gone! Must have been a fellow Motown Forum member who saw this thread and beat me to it!
    Sorry about that. She sells them at her concerts and you may want to check her website, ebay and if I spot a copy for you, I will let you know.

Sorry about that. She sells them at her concerts and you may want to check her website, ebay and if I spot a copy for you, I will let you know.
    Thanks, Marv. I appreciate it. I've always thought that Mary had a perfect voice for jazz. I don't know how this release got past me, as I'm on Amazon daily. Just another one of life's little mysteries, I guess!

Thanks, Marv. I appreciate it. I've always thought that Mary had a perfect voice for jazz. I don't know how this release got past me, as I'm on Amazon daily. Just another one of life's little mysteries, I guess!

I love Amazon.com Mary is on her way to Africa today.

I love Amazon.com Mary is on her way to Africa today.
    Yeah, I love Amazon, too! It's like having the world's biggest record store right at your fingertips in the comfort of your own home! Musically speaking, life doesn't get much better than that!

Mary went to Africa today? Cool! It's amazing how our beloved artists remain popular and in-demand the world over, yet here in America they don't seem to count for crap. I'll never understand that.

1. Prelude
    2 I'm Every Woman
    3. Love Child
    5. Reflections
    6. You Can't Hurry Love
    7. Come See About Me
    8. Back In My Arms Again
    9. Good Lovin'
    10. Body And Soul
    11. Fields Of Gold
    12. You Are So Beautiful
    15. Baby Love
    18. U
    19. One Night With You
    20. Walk The Line
    23. Hero
    Thats from the Sands hotel which was demollihed in 1996 i believe so Marys DVD must have been reciorded before it was demollished. The UP Close jazz DVD is real good aas is the CD from the same show. I play them often. The Sands hotel DVD is not very good and look like it was made on a real cheap budget. Ive only played in once and dont think i would ever play it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    Thats from the Sands hotel which was demollihed in 1996 i believe so Marys DVD must have been reciorded before it was demollished. The UP Close jazz DVD is real good aas is the CD from the same show. I play them often. The Sands hotel DVD is not very good and look like it was made on a real cheap budget. Ive only played in once and dont think i would ever play it again.
    Your dates sound accurate, Roberta. According to the DVD case, Mary's performance at the Sands was recorded in 1995 and released on DVD in 2005. I watched it again yesterday, although I didn't notice the video quality being sub-standard. I wonder if maybe you got a defective copy? Or maybe you just have a more discerning eye than I? Whatever, I want that jazz show DVD!

Your dates sound accurate, Roberta. According to the DVD case, Mary's performance at the Sands was recorded in 1995 and released on DVD in 2005. I watched it again yesterday, although I didn't notice the video quality being sub-standard. I wonder if maybe you got a defective copy? Or maybe you just have a more discerning eye than I? Whatever, I want that jazz show DVD!
    I wasnt talking about the video quality of the Sands DVD I just thought it was real chaeply made and bland and ive heard Mary sound much better than she did on this Sands DVD show. The Up CLose jazz show is real good and mary sounds wonderful.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kM_WV7uJZuA Her charisma at its peak! I'm Every Woman. Fun how she calls out Sarah , Chaka , Aretha and Diana!

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kM_WV7uJZuA Her charisma at its peak! I'm Every Woman. Fun how she calls out Sarah , Chaka , Aretha and Diana!
    I thought that was funny too. LOL!!!

Hey marv,our girl is still lookin and soundin great...mary take me now!!!

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Hey marv,our girl is still lookin and soundin great...mary take me now!!!
    Oh she can definitely still get some work here.....................hehehehehehehehe!

I would not be surprised if one of her Symphony concerts gets a DVD release........

I would not be surprised if one of her Symphony concerts gets a DVD release........
    Yeah? What's that, Marv? Do ya mean American Songbook easy-listening tunes [[e.g., from the Frank Sinatra, Tony Bennett, Peggy Lee, etc., era)?

Yeah? What's that, Marv? Do ya mean American Songbook easy-listening tunes [[e.g., from the Frank Sinatra, Tony Bennett, Peggy Lee, etc., era)?
    Mary has a whole separate concert created just for performances with Symphony Orchestras. Yes there are several songs from the Great American Songbook and even with those, she changes them up every few years. Mary has been doing Symphony concerts for roughly the last 24 years.

Hi Marv! Is that CJ on background? Thanks

Hi Marv! Is that CJ on background? Thanks
    Yes! That's my buddy.

Thanks bud! The video certainly showcases Mary's vocal ability and stage energy.

Thanks bud! The video certainly showcases Mary's vocal ability and stage energy.
    She puts on excellent concerts. She is a great performer.

I like both DVDs. Mary has done a terrific job of getting her talent out there on DVD and YouTube when you consider she has had no label support. I have never seen her less than stellar even with voice trouble and the extremely lackluster audiences in Branson. She is a first class entertainer and a trooper, but most of all, she lives life on her terms and has a great time. I admire that most of all.

For me Mary is a jazz singer far more than a pop singer. When singing pop her voice at times can sound quite colourless and bland.
    When she has mentioned in interviews that she does not have the best voice in the world i disagree with her.
    As a jazz singer/crooner she is up there with the best. In this genre her voice sounds expressive, experienced and meaningful. Had her album from 79 been a jazz/standards affair the music world would have really taken notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    For me Mary is a jazz singer far more than a pop singer. When singing pop her voice at times can sound quite colourless and bland.
    When she has mentioned in interviews that she does not have the best voice in the world i disagree with her.
    As a jazz singer/crooner she is up there with the best. In this genre her voice sounds expressive, experienced and meaningful. Had her album from 79 been a jazz/standards affair the music world would have really taken notice.
    I agree with much of what you say Ollie. Her voice is far better to suited to the jazz numbers rather than pop songs where it sounds bland and lacks character. I think she knows her limitations in the pop genre, but when she tackles a jazz/standard tune the results can be pleasing to the ear. It is a pity that whenever she plays in the UK she has to programme her set to an oldies style audience rather than a jazz audience where i know she would feel more comfortable.

More from this superb DVD. Mary did this number for us at Westbury, in the round and they had the fog machines working overtime! She sat on stool in the middle of it all looking like the greatest star on Earth that night!

Last edited by marv2; 09-23-2016 at 07:05 PM.

Here are the jacket covers for the DVD and CD:

Attachment 11708 Attachment 11709

Mary has a whole separate concert created just for performances with Symphony Orchestras. Yes there are several songs from the Great American Songbook and even with those, she changes them up every few years. Mary has been doing Symphony concerts for roughly the last 24 years.
    LOLOLOlolololoOLOLOLOLOL

I saw Mary's symphony show in Detroit back in April and it was fantastic. What I saw was a mix of Supremes songs she usually performs with the addition of "I Hear A Symphony" and songs from her Up Close jazz show that were arranged for orchestra. The opening with the orchestra playing the intro of "Stoned Love" gave me goosebumps. It was very well balanced and Mary sounded great. I would love to hear it get professionally recorded.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    I saw Mary's symphony show in Detroit back in April and it was fantastic. What I saw was a mix of Supremes songs she usually performs with the addition of "I Hear A Symphony" and songs from her Up Close jazz show that were arranged for orchestra. The opening with the orchestra playing the intro of "Stoned Love" gave me goosebumps. It was very well balanced and Mary sounded great. I would love to hear it get professionally recorded.
    The shows Mary did with the DSO were videotaped. I do hope it gets a DVD release at some point.

Here's the opening number of the show, "Here's to Life":