[REMOVE ADS]

Page 4 of 31 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 14 ... LastLast
    Great stuff posted. Here is the classic by The Isley Brothers "It's Your Thing"

Here is my favorite song by Aretha Franklin....

Last edited by Luciano; 10-10-2016 at 09:23 PM.

i believe I read that The Bee Gees wrote this for Tavares...

This timeless classic by The Stylistics....

This is what I call "An Underrated Soul Gem" by Aretha's sister Carolyn....

This classic song by The Commodores....

Last edited by Luciano; 10-10-2016 at 09:24 PM.

Wow Luciano! You hit us with the big guns all at once! I love each one of those songs especially "Sweet Love" , You Are Everything" and anything by Aretha! Thank you!!!

The Summer of 1971 I spent on my Grandfather's farm and this was the JAM!

The Supremes with a Soulful prayer......"Stoned Love" Here they are at their best in 1970!

In the Fall of 1969 this song had us all singing it at the tops of our lungs almost daily on the School Bus! LOL!

Great selections Marv. Two Motown classics, how amazing was Michael Jackson at that young age and how impressively soulful Jean Terrell was singing those two words "Stoned Love". Pickett is always amazing and thanks haven't listened to this one in awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Luciano View Post
    Great selections Marv. Two Motown classics, how amazing was Michael Jackson at that young age and how impressively soulful Jean Terrell was singing those two words "Stoned Love". Pickett is always amazing and thanks haven't listened to this one in awhile.
    Michael was amazing. All the kids wanted to sing like him. He was our "Frankie Lymon". Jean Terrell's intro to "Stoned Love" was the sweetest sound Motown ever recorded and I always wonder how Wilson Pickett never burst his vocal chords the way he could scream and shout. LOL!

Hey marv,how right you are and one of the best[m.j.]sound alikes is the great[1972]jam-mama's little baby[brother's love]i would've sworn it was m.j.

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Hey marv,how right you are and one of the best[m.j.]sound alikes is the great[1972]jam-mama's little baby[brother's love]i would've sworn it was m.j.
    JAI uh huh and remember Brighter Side of Darkness with "Love Jones"?

Remember a smile is just a frown turned upside down...

I know money is the root of all evil, do funny things to some people
    Give me a nickel, brother can you spare a dime
    Money can drive some people out of their minds....

Don't you hear me talking, baby, love me now or I'll go crazyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!

Hey marv,you done started something with this soulful post[hehe]i'm goin way back with a classic from the five royals..schoolgirl!!

Good memories! "For The Love Of Money" is a greta classic [[the lyrics, the incredible bass - line by the great Anthony Jackson,...). I have heard many covers [[by Thad Jones / Mel Lewis; by Defunkt; by Disco Dub Band,...) but no one like the oNE by The O'Jays on [[IMHO) their best album, "Ship Ahoy". About Michael Jackson on his childhood - teens years... recently, I have had a mascot, a cute gerbil who died at 2,5 years - old, :-[[,... and casually I heard "Ben" by M.J. in the I-Tunes and remember that the lyrics talks about a mouse or rat who died [[I think is from a film soundtrack, ?)... what a mellow feeling,.. I was almost crying!!

How bout[sugar dumplin]sam cooke.

This is my fave from The O'Jays:

Maybe everybody on that "Thank you Ralph" thread should jump on board!!

How bout[sugar dumplin]sam cooke.
    Hey JAI, now that is a classic! My brother Robert still plays it.

Quote Originally Posted by manny View Post
    Good memories! "For The Love Of Money" is a greta classic [[the lyrics, the incredible bass - line by the great Anthony Jackson,...). I have heard many covers [[by Thad Jones / Mel Lewis; by Defunkt; by Disco Dub Band,...) but no one like the oNE by The O'Jays on [[IMHO) their best album, "Ship Ahoy". About Michael Jackson on his childhood - teens years... recently, I have had a mascot, a cute gerbil who died at 2,5 years - old, :-[[,... and casually I heard "Ben" by M.J. in the I-Tunes and remember that the lyrics talks about a mouse or rat who died [[I think is from a film soundtrack, ?)... what a mellow feeling,.. I was almost crying!!
    Manny we went to see the film "Ben" at theater when it was released in 1972.

Don't you hear me talking, baby, love me now or I'll go crazyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!

This was another very popular song that many people would sing along to at my High School back in 1976.

Hey marv,you done started something with this soulful post[hehe]i'm goin way back with a classic from the five royals..schoolgirl!!
    JAI pretend that I am digging thru my crates LOL! From my Mom's senior year in High School.........

OK then - one of the most achingly beautiful soul ballads ever - Patti LaBelle and the Bluebelles with I'm still waiting, Atlantic, 1965

Last edited by waynesville; 10-14-2016 at 10:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    The Supremes with a Soulful prayer......"Stoned Love" Here they are at their best in 1970!

I would have posted that if you had not done so! Not just the Supremes' greatest record, but one of the culminating anthems of soul

Marv,i envey the way you post these wonderful songs[keep em comin,hehe]i can't post em but i got a looooong list.

Before he came to Motown, the great Chuck Jackson.....

Any day now I will hear you say "Goodbye, my love"
    And you'll be on your way
    Then my wild beautiful bird, you will have flown, oh
    Any day now I'll be all alone, whoa

The Temptations with Paul Williams singing lead on this classic Smokey Robinson song. Paul Williams live was just amazing as he adds even more soul...

So if you just put your hand in mine
    We're gonna leave all our troubles behind
    Keep on walking and don't look back....

It is always amazing when Gladys tackles someone else song and makes it her own. Although not a huge hit, I think it's one of her best.

Somewhere, someday
    You've gotto take a chance
    If you like the music, baby
    Get up and dance...

Here one of my favorites O'Jay's ballads.

I got what you want, you got what I want,
    An' we were made for each other. [[oo-oo)....

One of the great gems and covers by The Marvelettes.

I know you're not sincere and you'll never be
    But still I want your kisses so desperately
    I could never let you go
    Baby even though I know
    Every rule of love you disobey...

I enjoy this song even when it not the holidays. Here is such an underrated gem by William Bell....

Quote Originally Posted by waynesville View Post
    OK then - one of the most achingly beautiful soul ballads ever - Patti LaBelle and the Bluebelles with I'm still waiting, Atlantic, 1965

It use to drive me crazy that some people only remember them for "Lady Marmalade". They were always singers and for the life of me I cannot understand why producers and writers did not try hard enough to get hits on them back in the sixties. Did you know that it is the Bluebelles backing Wilson Picket on "634-5789"?

Quote Originally Posted by waynesville View Post
    I would have posted that if you had not done so! Not just the Supremes' greatest record, but one of the culminating anthems of soul
    I've this song since I first heard it in 1970. When Obama took office, I related the line in the song "and to the man, with the whole World on his shoulders............" to him as we were still in a deep economic crisis Worldwide. The song is timeless. Pray for peace! Amen!

Marv,i envey the way you post these wonderful songs[keep em comin,hehe]i can't post em but i got a looooong list.
    That's buddy. Share with us your list of favorites. As you know, mine are all from different parts of my life and have memories attached to each of them.

It is always amazing when Gladys tackles someone else song and makes it her own. Although not a huge hit, I think it's one of her best.

Somewhere, someday
    You've gotto take a chance
    If you like the music, baby
    Get up and dance...

Oh wow! How did you think of putting this one up? This was one of my very favorites from Gladys & the Pips. It may not have been a huge hit, but it connected with me back in the day.

Luciano, I wished we had our own radio station that broadcast Worldwide! There would be no need for any other stations. LOL! I love your selections. Marv

From[1968]a cute little gem from the fawns-is it too early.

Thanks Marv! I appreciate your comments. You have excellent choices as so many times I have to double check what has been posted. Can't wait for your next selections.

This is a great thread you have created. I have been thinking about making CDs of these awesome selections. Also, what I like is as we all contribute there maybe some songs I am not as familiar with that now I need to add to my collection and hopefully the same for others. That's was part of my thoughts when posting Gladys & The Pips "Part Time Love".

Thanks again Marv!

Great selection!

Great info Marv, I did not know they are on Pickett song. Now I will have to re-listen to it.

Four pages... and there's not any track by the fantastic DRAMATICS!! [[i.e. "Whatcha See Is Whatcha Get"; "Drama V";...) :-)

And what about Bunny Sigler's "Let The Good Times Roll", The Futures "Ain't Got Time For Nothing", Intruder's "Cowboys To Girls"...?

Chaka Khan made that band explode in popularity. Threw down the gauntlet in music and
    made a lot of other women in the business try to step up their game. And thankfully
    she's still here ...

Quote Originally Posted by splanky View Post
    Chaka Khan made that band explode in popularity. Threw down the gauntlet in music and
    made a lot of other women in the business try to step up their game. And thankfully
    she's still here ...
    I remember in my teens in the restaurant were I worked during the high school days, there was some Soul compilations [[Spanish CBS Philly Sound vols. 1 & 2, Atlantic's "Hits & Soul" serie,...) and there was also a compilation by ABC licensed by spanish Movieplay entitled "Ultrasonidos para discotecas" with the bomb "Rufusized"by Rufus feat. Chaka Khan! I think they were pioneers in the style they used synthesizer and the vocoder, I think before than herbie hancock. Anyway, my favorites are "Dance with me" [[the bombastic bass line at the end" and the great deep, screaming vocals by Chaka on "You Got The Love". There was a nice and unique fusion between rock and soul in the seventies [[San Francisco scene, etc.) with people like Sylvia Smith, Cold Blood or the same Rufus that, sadly, never again I have heard after these years...!

Cheers to all.

Manny, you are right about The Dramatics. I have been meaning to add. Here is one of their biggest songs...

I think I heard this song so much when I was younger I sort of stopped listening to it but it truly is one of the greatest soul songs ever. Often covered but can never top this version...

When I was young I used to think Marvin Gaye sang this song but its underrated Manhattans...

One of my favorite all time cover songs. While I do like Billy Stewart version, I just slightly like this version better [[ducking for cover...lol)...

Speaking of covers, I do like this version of Billy Paul's song to. Here are The Dramatics again....

Another song I have been meaning to add, one of my favorites by Smokey & the Miracles....