[REMOVE ADS]




Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 13 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 150 of 1450
  1. #101
    Great choices! Awesome to see "Loves Makes The World Go Around". I didn't know the Dells were on that record. Always love seeing A&S so classy and to me Valerie is such an underrated singer. She is awesome.

    Thanks Marv - Can't wait for your next selections.

  2. #102
    Before Soul Train went on the air all the kids in my area was diggin' the Ohio Players and " Pain" (1971). They even made up a dance called "The Pain" LOL!


  3. #103
    Quote Originally Posted by Luciano View Post
    Great choices! Awesome to see "Loves Makes The World Go Around". I didn't know the Dells were on that record. Always love seeing A&S so classy and to me Valerie is such an underrated singer. She is awesome.

    Thanks Marv - Can't wait for your next selections.
    Luciano, thanks man. The Dells were backing Barbara Lewis up on that classic. They also use to be Dinah Washington's backing group. Let's keep them coming!

  4. #104
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    You can have a party with just that record right? You mentioned Angelo Bond. He is a great singer and songwriter out of Detroit. He recently produced a song for Mary Wilson for still unreleased CD "Life's Been Good to Me"!
    Of course, Marv! Many times I played this entire LP at the local radio - station of my town on my soul music program "Negre i Rosa" (RCA, first half of the 80's). Some times I played 4 or 6 compilations of VVAA LP's, two turntables and along 1 hour, combining albums two by two ("Soul Food" with my favorite, "Time" by Mighty Clouds Of Joy, "Soul Train Super Tracks" with my favorite "A Mother For My Children" by The Whispers; "Let's Clean Up The Gheto" with my favorite "Now Is The Time To Do It" by Teddy;...). And about Angelo Bond, I purchased the "Bondage" album with the gem "Goodbay My Love"!

  5. #105
    Quote Originally Posted by manny View Post
    Of course, Marv! Many times I played this entire LP at the local radio - station of my town on my soul music program "Negre i Rosa" (RCA, first half of the 80's). Some times I played 4 or 6 compilations of VVAA LP's, two turntables and along 1 hour, combining albums two by two ("Soul Food" with my favorite, "Time" by Mighty Clouds Of Joy, "Soul Train Super Tracks" with my favorite "A Mother For My Children" by The Whispers; "Let's Clean Up The Gheto" with my favorite "Now Is The Time To Do It" by Teddy;...). And about Angelo Bond, I purchased the "Bondage" album with the gem "Goodbay My Love"!
    Manny, all of those tracks are great and I would love to be able to hear them again here in the US in a club setting. Now all we get is Hip Hop it seems.

  6. #106


    "Mama, I'm depending on you, to tell me the truth..."
    "Mama look up with tear in eye and said..."

    "PAPA WAS A ROLLIN' STONE!"

  7. #107
    Marv,you know these[new age]dj's ain't gonna play these classics you gotta go to a true oldies clubs to hear these in a club setting.

  8. #108
    Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Marv,you know these[new age]dj's ain't gonna play these classics you gotta go to a true oldies clubs to hear these in a club setting.
    I know you are right or wait until someone throws an "Old School" caberet. there are more of us Old Schools than Gen X's and Millennials.

  9. #109
    The snow has melted and it is the Spring of 1973 and this was on the radio..................


  10. #110
    From Christmas season 1967. This one was played almost constantly by my neighbors at the time and it was a local number one record in Toledo. Al Greene - "Back Up Train" (notice he had an extra "e" on his name at the time).


  11. #111
    I think I liked "Blame it On the Boogie" more, this here was also a JAM in the Fall of 1978.


  12. #112
    It was June 1978 and I was in a singing group made up of some high school buddies for one hot second LOL! We were to perform this at our H.S. Carnival but broke up over who was going to be the lead singer. One of the greatest of the great songs by the O'Jays and my personal favorite....."Usta Be My Girl"!


  13. #113
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    It was June 1978 and I was in a singing group made up of some high school buddies for one hot second LOL! We were to perform this at our H.S. Carnival but broke up over who was going to be the lead singer. One of the greatest of the great songs by the O'Jays and my personal favorite....."Usta Be My Girl"!

    Interesting and funny stuff! BTW, in my case, before I started to studying in Barcelona I makes some journeys to this city to search some books... and ALBUMS, was the end of 1978 and I find the last O'Jays album, "So Full Of Love"; I was some deceived for the sound some "cheese" or bland, particularly on "She Used To Be My Girl"... I hated this song but more I heard, more I loved... Really my favorite tracks here are "Take Me To The Stars" and my absolute favorite "This Time Baby", IMHO much better than the cover by Jackie Moore I think from a year later, 1979.

    Cheers to all!

  14. #114
    Here is the first of two classics by Tyrone Davis

  15. #115
    Part 2: Tyrone Davis


  16. #116
    Luciano, those were some prime cuts by Tyrone Davis. We bought those records and they bring back some really good memories here.

  17. #117
    Hey marv,from[1966]the philly dog-the mar-keys.

  18. #118
    Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Hey marv,from[1966]the philly dog-the mar-keys.
    Oh yeah! Let's do that one!


  19. #119
    and how about some The Bar-Kays with "Soul Finger"!


  20. #120
    Marv,you and me got to be related,hehehehehe!!!

  21. #121
    Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Marv,you and me got to be related,hehehehehe!!!
    I know it Cuz'n JAI. You must be my cousin on my Granddaddy Roosevelt's side........hehehehehehehe....... We have and had HUGE family.

  22. #122
    Marv, can I jump in on the fun? One of my all-time absolutely favorite, can't stop moving my feet when I hear them bands was Archie Bell & the Drells:

  23. #123
    Remember when Pauli Carman and Champaign broke out with "How 'Bout Us"? What a smooth voice! What a beautiful record.

  24. #124
    Oh, and "Grazing In The Grass" takes me to a happy happy place. I LOVE this track.

  25. #125
    And has there ever been a more underrated group than the Spinners? Arguably the greatest soul outfit ever and they seldom get the respect that they deserve. This was my jam in the 8th grade (LOL). I think this is another Thom Bell classic.

  26. #126
    And one of the most recognizable songs from the first four bars is "Tonight Is The Night" by Betty Wright.

  27. #127
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    Marv, can I jump in on the fun? One of my all-time absolutely favorite, can't stop moving my feet when I hear them bands was Archie Bell & the Drells:
    Jerry of course! I'd be very disappointed if you didn't. You started off with a great one

  28. #128
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    And has there ever been a more underrated group than the Spinners? Arguably the greatest soul outfit ever and they seldom get the respect that they deserve. This was my jam in the 8th grade (LOL). I think this is another Thom Bell classic.
    I don't know if really The Spinners were the "great underrated" vocal group (I think they got the fame they deserved) but I think the "Pick Of The Litter" is the most underrated album by them. I have on vynil from the 70's and I don't understand how a gem as "You Made A Promise To Me" was not a smash hit like "I'll Be Around", for example.

    Some suggestions for Marv (I think these are "classic jams"):
    - "Lonely For So Long" - Frederic Knight
    - "Love Means" - Carla Thomas
    - "Mama Soul" - Soul Survivors
    - "Take A Letter Maria" - R.B. Greaves
    - "Ellie's Love Theme" - Isaac Hayes
    - "Too Weak To Fight" - Clarence Carter

    Some can be considered "ballads" or mid-tempos, but there's enough octanes on the vocals and rhythm section for to be a "jam"...

  29. #129
    Yes Jerry you are knocking them out of the park with those additions Everyone of them received considerable play, because they were just that good! Thanks.

  30. #130
    Quote Originally Posted by manny View Post
    I don't know if really The Spinners were the "great underrated" vocal group (I think they got the fame they deserved) but I think the "Pick Of The Litter" is the most underrated album by them. I have on vynil from the 70's and I don't understand how a gem as "You Made A Promise To Me" was not a smash hit like "I'll Be Around", for example.

    Some suggestions for Marv (I think these are "classic jams"):
    - "Lonely For So Long" - Frederic Knight
    - "Love Means" - Carla Thomas
    - "Mama Soul" - Soul Survivors
    - "Take A Letter Maria" - R.B. Greaves
    - "Ellie's Love Theme" - Isaac Hayes
    - "Too Weak To Fight" - Clarence Carter

    Some can be considered "ballads" or mid-tempos, but there's enough octanes on the vocals and rhythm section for to be a "jam"...
    The Spinners did get a lot of love. But if you ask fans of pop music who the great soul acts are, they will list the Temptations, Four Tops, the O'Jays, and a host of other Motown or Philly acts before they name the Spinners. Another group similar was Maze (on a much smaller level). Lovers of soul and R&B were all over Maze and the Spinners but if you went to their concerts, you probably had mostly fans of those genres instead of many crossover fans in the seats beside you. Speaking of which:

  31. #131
    Good Lord, Mavis! If you move at least a little and don't sing every lyric when you hear this, I don't know what's wrong with you.

  32. #132
    And to kick it a little more old school, this is one of the first songs I remember hearing as a kid:

  33. #133
    Smokey gave us life lessons. Unless you're too old to dance, you might as well get up and enjoy this:

  34. #134
    "Hey, girl, we're having a party!"

    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 10-07-2016 at 01:55 PM.

  35. #135
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    The Spinners did get a lot of love. But if you ask fans of pop music who the great soul acts are, they will list the Temptations, Four Tops, the O'Jays, and a host of other Motown or Philly acts before they name the Spinners. Another group similar was Maze (on a much smaller level). Lovers of soul and R&B were all over Maze and the Spinners but if you went to their concerts, you probably had mostly fans of those genres instead of many crossover fans in the seats beside you. Speaking of which:

    The Spinners were one of the most successful groups of the 70s. Even more so than the Temptations and the Four Tops. Many people do not know that.

  36. #136
    How about some more sixties Soul?

    Sly & The Family Stone - Dance To The Music -1968


  37. #137
    "Slip Away" by Clarence Carter in the Summer of '68!


  38. #138
    "Stay in My Corner" by The Dells also from 1968:


  39. #139
    Miriam Makeba "Mama Africa"! scored with " Pata Pata" in 1967:


  40. #140
    One of my favorites by the Drifters , "There Goes my Baby " from 1959..................


  41. #141
    Okay, I'm going to throw a little southern influence on this. How about Otis Redding?

  42. #142
    And the Wicked Wilson Pickett?

  43. #143
    Sam and Dave...

  44. #144
    And speaking of duos, how about Mel and Tim.

  45. #145
    And Isaac Hayes was a bad mutha(shut yo mouth!).

  46. #146
    And this is one of my favorite covers. I can't say that I like it more than the original because we have so many great fans of the girl groups, but I like it more than the original. (Oops! Did I say it anyway?)

  47. #147
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    Good Lord, Mavis! If you move at least a little and don't sing every lyric when you hear this, I don't know what's wrong with you.
    You this one was nothing but pure Gospel Soul. Even my Granddad love it! LOL!

  48. #148
    Jerry you are gettin' down! There some serious Soul business going on here! LOL! You go man!

  49. #149
    The definition of SASS!


  50. #150
    How about the very sexy[if i could say what's on my mind-the temprees].

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

[REMOVE ADS]

Ralph Terrana
MODERATOR

Welcome to Soulful Detroit! Kindly Consider Turning Off Your Ad BlockingX
Soulful Detroit is a free service that relies on revenue from ad display [regrettably] and donations. We notice that you are using an ad-blocking program that prevents us from earning revenue during your visit.
Ads are REMOVED for Members who donate to Soulful Detroit. [You must be logged in for ads to disappear]
DONATE HERE »
And have Ads removed.