[REMOVE ADS]

Page 24 of 31 FirstFirst ... 14 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ... LastLast
Results 1,151 to 1,200 of 1523
    And when Teddy Pendergrass left Harold Melvin & the Blue Notes, he was the hottest soul artist in the world. He was selling out concerts for ladies only! Yeah, his light waned much too soon and it was sad how it flickered out, but this brother was fire. He's still a first-name-only star. Michael. Diana [[yes). Teddy. RIP.

Ronald Isley might be the most underrated soul singer of all since he was part of a family ensemble. But have no doubt, the Isley Brothers were great as a band - really, really great in my opinion - but Ronald's voice made a great band even better. I'm a huge fan of the T-Neck years.

This song was sublime. I don't think there's another Isley song with a similar arrangement and Ernie's guitar solos knock it out of the park. People in my neighborhood played this out but it didn't get played a lot on the radio. I'm not even sure it was a single.

I think this might be my brother's favorite song from the '70s. Another one of those songs that I have to sing when it's playing.

Boz Scaggs' "Jojo" might not be considered a soul song, but if not then I think of it as such. He toed the line between pop and soul in my opinion.

Another fantastic Boz Scaggs song.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Jerry, every one of those songs you just posted, other than AWB have been posted here already. It's all good, I agree with the point you are making. Growing up during the Motown era in the Detroit area, I welcomed the new sound coming out of Philly.
    My bad. Memory gets in the way. I probably posted them in the first place!

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    And when Teddy Pendergrass left Harold Melvin & the Blue Notes, he was the hottest soul artist in the world. He was selling out concerts for ladies only! Yeah, his light waned much too soon and it was sad how it flickered out, but this brother was fire. He's still a first-name-only star. Michael. Diana [[yes). Teddy. RIP.
    Yep! The late 70s, early 80s was his time to shine. He had very few peers at that time.

My bad. Memory gets in the way. I probably posted them in the first place!
    No, don't worry about it. I don't expect people to go through all pages of this Blog inside a Blog. Only if they want to. I am enjoying this. I enjoy tying music into what was going on at the time in my life and in the World at large.

Another fantastic Boz Scaggs song.
    Probably the most played song in 1976-77 LOL! Heard it practically everyday. I can't believe it is now like over 40 years old.

My life has a unique soundtrack. I'm sure you feel the same way. Every song that I've posted in this thread brings back memories of where I was and what I was doing at the time that I used to hear it. There was a time when I was a snob about music. All I wanted to hear was soul and R&B.

Then, in high school, I was exposed to rock [[as I recounted earlier) and although I still didn't care for it, I became acquainted with it and a lot of those songs are now among my favorites. I also worked the stock shift of a grocery store for a period and they listened to album-oriented rock stations that played harder rock than I was used to. I also like it now. And I'll never forget one of my best friends forcing me to listen to jazz when I was over his house. I used to hate jazz for some reason. One day, the light went on and jazz is my favorite form of music.

Now, any type of music is likely to be in my playlist. Country, bluegrass, reggae, blues, ska, classical, rock and roll, hard rock, soul, funk, R&B and [[some) pop. The snobbish side of me still has a hard time liking most pop music because it seems like it's made in order to cross over and make money instead of make people listen and fall in love with it. The saddest part of dying is the fact that a person's memories go away with them. I hope there's music on the next plane and that I get to play the turntable. But until then, I'm going to dig my soundtrack and try to add to it.

My life has a unique soundtrack. I'm sure you feel the same way. Every song that I've posted in this thread brings back memories of where I was and what I was doing at the time that I used to hear it. There was a time when I was a snob about music. All I wanted to hear was soul and R&B.

Then, in high school, I was exposed to rock [[as I recounted earlier) and although I still didn't care for it, I became acquainted with it and a lot of those songs are now among my favorites. I also worked the stock shift of a grocery store for a period and they listened to album-oriented rock stations that played harder rock than I was used to. I also like it now. And I'll never forget one of my best friends forcing me to listen to jazz when I was over his house. I used to hate jazz for some reason. One day, the light went on and jazz is my favorite form of music.

Now, any type of music is likely to be in my playlist. Country, bluegrass, reggae, blues, ska, classical, rock and roll, hard rock, soul, funk, R&B and [[some) pop. The snobbish side of me still has a hard time liking most pop music because it seems like it's made in order to cross over and make money instead of make people listen and fall in love with it. The saddest part of dying is the fact that a person's memories go away with them. I hope there's music on the next plane and that I get to play the turntable. But until then, I'm going to dig my soundtrack and try to add to it.
    I know exactly what you mean. There is a lot of music that is classified as Rock that I love! I grew up listening this radio station, CKLW. It's pretty famous,but to us it was just one of our local stations that played everything Rock, Pop, Soul and Motown and a lot of Canadian Artists. During my high school years, I went to sleep at night with CKLW tuned in on the radio above my bed. The Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, McCarthy &Wings, Gordon Lightfoot and my main man.....Bob Seger! LOL! Just to name a few. It was so funny to me when my first college roommate was surprised that I knew so many "white musicians" and Rock songs. Heck, in the early 80s I was in school in Colorado. Some of my favorite songs that came out then were by Eddie Rabbitt [["Step by Step"), Kenny Rogers and Willie Nelson. I never was that deep in to Country Music but it was very popular at that time and there were some good songs. We do not have even ONE Country Music station in all of New York City. I remember asking people in my work group years ago about that and they just gave me this blank look LOL! They were all Native New Yorkers and did not know what I was talking about and did not have even the slightest interest in Country Music hehehehehehe!

I think I told you about the little girl that I worked with whose world was transformed by "Urban Cowboy". Until then, country was a niche genre. Kenny and Dolly all but killed it off with tripe like "Islands In the Stream" and "Nine To Five" that was really just pop music with a twang. After "Urban Cowboy", 'real country' came back. Columbus' largest night club went from being a rock club to a country club and it was filled to capacity every night. Cowboy hats and boots popped up everywhere.

The only other times I witnessed anything like it was when "Saturday Night Fever" came out with disco breaking out everywhere and when "Purple Rain" made Minneapolis the fourth "M" home of music behind Motown, Memphis and Muscle Shoals. I was only so-so on country until around 2005 when a co-worker burned a copy of Garth Brooks' "The Hits" CD for me. That is now my man, all day. And then, when "O Brother, Where Art Thou" came out, I became a fan of bluegrass. LOL. I love good music, whatever the genre.

I owe my cousin Tony a huge debt. When he was in high school, he got bused across town and the white kids got him into AC/DC and other harder rock bands. Listening to it with him made me appreciate some hard rock although I can't listen to Metallica and Megadeth and harder edged bands like them. Then, Tony started listening to Boogie Down Productions and Public Enemy. Took a couple decades, but I'm the biggest fan of PE that I know.

There's almost no genre that I'll write off now. I just don't want to hear crossover. Give me the music that the artist first listened to and it made him bob his head and say, "dammmmnnnn...". Keep that Bieber/Britney/Taylor Swift and give me more Fishbone, George Clinton and Bruce Springsteen. Keep it real, and I'm listening to it.

You what really bothers me? Is that there has not been a lot of music in the last 5 years that I can attach to anything in my life! I mean I will not remember the music of the last 5 years and it bugs me.

Ooh I know I'm late to the conversation but Jerry with you throwing in some Average White Band I have to as well... how 'bout some cake?

Love the AWB sound

And this classic of a song? Pheeeeew I loves it

I think I told you about the little girl that I worked with whose world was transformed by "Urban Cowboy". Until then, country was a niche genre. Kenny and Dolly all but killed it off with tripe like "Islands In the Stream" and "Nine To Five" that was really just pop music with a twang. After "Urban Cowboy", 'real country' came back. Columbus' largest night club went from being a rock club to a country club and it was filled to capacity every night. Cowboy hats and boots popped up everywhere.

The only other times I witnessed anything like it was when "Saturday Night Fever" came out with disco breaking out everywhere and when "Purple Rain" made Minneapolis the fourth "M" home of music behind Motown, Memphis and Muscle Shoals. I was only so-so on country until around 2005 when a co-worker burned a copy of Garth Brooks' "The Hits" CD for me. That is now my man, all day. And then, when "O Brother, Where Art Thou" came out, I became a fan of bluegrass. LOL. I love good music, whatever the genre.

I owe my cousin Tony a huge debt. When he was in high school, he got bused across town and the white kids got him into AC/DC and other harder rock bands. Listening to it with him made me appreciate some hard rock although I can't listen to Metallica and Megadeth and harder edged bands like them. Then, Tony started listening to Boogie Down Productions and Public Enemy. Took a couple decades, but I'm the biggest fan of PE that I know.

There's almost no genre that I'll write off now. I just don't want to hear crossover. Give me the music that the artist first listened to and it made him bob his head and say, "dammmmnnnn...". Keep that Bieber/Britney/Taylor Swift and give me more Fishbone, George Clinton and Bruce Springsteen. Keep it real, and I'm listening to it.
    I have to say Jerry that is quite impressive, the level of openness you have to music... your collection must be huge and quite varied! I can never stray too far from the R&B/Soul/Funk genre unfortunately... I enjoy some Rock, but it has to be funky or soulful or jazzy, and I enjoy some jazz, but again it has to be soulful or funky jazz. If things get too rocky or too jazzy they lose me... and I don't even bother with genres like country or metal, which is probably quite closed-minded of me, but there you go.

I try and be open to modern "pop" music as well and as long as it is real and soulful, it’s A-OK on my list. Bruno Mars, Jess Glynne, Charlie Puth, Meghan Trainor, they're all good. Sometimes I do question this, but I think at the end of the day it's OK just to enjoy a bit crossover pop music for what it is!!!!

Jerry shit you couldn't tell me not to like songs by people like the Guess Who, Bruce Springsteen, Neil Young, Bon Jovi, The Romantics [[from Detroit), The Cars, all those 60s British Bands, Billy Joel [[from Long Island), George Harrison, Pat Benatar [[from Long Island). I even bought Men Down Under's first album LOL! I too just like good music and there is just little of it out there now in my opinion.

Tell me this wasn't Funky!

I remember that. The Fixx worked with Tina Turner on "Better Be Good To Me".
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qyU7BbQSm98

Edit: I tried to post the video from my tablet but it didn't let me.
    Last edited by Jerry Oz; 04-05-2018 at 10:17 PM.

50 years ago yesterday, Dr. Martin Luther King was assassinated. That night, all Hell broke loose around the country. This was the number one record that day:

Otis Redding - Sitting On The Dock Of The Bay

Otis' first #1 record came after he died. It's too bad that he didn't live to see it happen. That is a song that brings back memories of my early childhood.

Otis' first #1 record came after he died. It's too bad that he didn't live to see it happen. That is a song that brings back memories of my early childhood.
    As much fun as i had as a kid growing up in the 1960s, looking back now, it was also confusing and scary at times. The Vietnam War was scary and people that adults said were good people kept getting killed i.e. JFK, MLK, RFK etc, etc. The day MLK was killed we had to go to bed extra early because fights and riots were breaking out all over the place.

I'll never forget going to my cousin Butchie's funeral. I didn't recall him but it was such a solemn and heavy moment in my life. Even as a very young boy, I was horrified about the news reports from Viet Nam. With that said, even in a time that had a fraction of the information capability of our modern age, it seemed as if we got 10 times as much news from the front. We don't even know all of the places our troops are stationed and fighting. That's why news from Yemen and Chad and Ethiopia blow our minds. They're keeping it all secret.

I'll never forget going to my cousin Butchie's funeral. I didn't recall him but it was such a solemn and heavy moment in my life. Even as a very young boy, I was horrified about the news reports from Viet Nam. With that said, even in a time that had a fraction of the information capability of our modern age, it seemed as if we got 10 times as much news from the front. We don't even know all of the places our troops are stationed and fighting. That's why news from Yemen and Chad and Ethiopia blow our minds. They're keeping it all secret.
    I think the news during the Vietnam War disturbed children seeing the bombings on television. Now they will show you a person being killed by the police right on television!

I don't know if we've seen any Roberta Flack yet, but her collaborations with Donny Hathaway such a natural chemistry.

And of course, this is her signature song.

Stacy Lattislaw should have had a much longer career. She sang so well for such a young woman. She was 14 or 15 when this one was recorded. If I recall, Narada produced it.

Once Midnight Star amped up the electronics, using a vocoder and electric drums on most of their songs, they became more of a dance band. This song slipped by a lot of people but I always thought it was one of their best.

This was a big song. I knew people who couldn't stand it for some reason. I think it's a classic.

Here's another one that I used to love.

And Freddie Jackson somehow flamed out. This dude should still be all over the radio. The last song I heard from him sounded like somebody who was trying to sound like Freddie Jackson. Such a shame.

This was a big song. I knew people who couldn't stand it for some reason. I think it's a classic.
    This was a very big hit in Detroit. It remained popular for more than a year.

And Freddie Jackson somehow flamed out. This dude should still be all over the radio. The last song I heard from him sounded like somebody who was trying to sound like Freddie Jackson. Such a shame.
    I met Freddie back in 2002 at Mary Wilson's concert in NYC. He was with Dionne Warwick. They both are very down to Earth people.

Stacy Lattislaw should have had a much longer career. She sang so well for such a young woman. She was 14 or 15 when this one was recorded. If I recall, Narada produced it.
    I think her parents interference in her career may have help to ruin it. By the time she put out "Every Drip Drop of My Love", I knew it was over. That was a very suggestive song that I knew people were not going to accept coming from Stacy, little Miss Sweetheart. LOL!

This is my favorite song by Donna Summer. She really could singonna Summer - There will always be a you [[1979)

This is my favorite song by BB King. I was blessed to see him in concert about a year before hie passed:

Aight, I got one for y'all [[hope it hasn't been posted before):

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Aight, I got one for y'all [[hope it hasn't been posted before):

Yes, it has been, but I still love it. Can you believe it's been 40 years already since this record came out?

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Yes, it has been, but I still love it. Can you believe it's been 40 years already since this record came out?
    Unreal. The crazy part is we remember it vividly!

You put a video of KC & the Sunshine Band's "Who Do You Love" in the other thread and this is the first song that comes to my mind when I think of them. It's the closest to funk that I think they ever came.

You put a video of KC & the Sunshine Band's "Who Do You Love" in the other thread and this is the first song that comes to my mind when I think of them. It's the closest to funk that I think they ever came.
    Oh shit! We use to tear my cousin Donnie's house down at his house parties with this one. LOL!!!!

This is the very first Jazz record/album I bought

I own that record. My first jazz albums were Grover Washington, Jr.'s "Skylarkin'" and Bob James' "H". I bought them on the same day back in 1981. I used to think that I hated jazz until one of my friends insisted on playing it and making me listen to finer points of his favorite songs. One day, I was shopping at Moe's Record Shop at OSU and "Lookalike" by Bob James played on the turntable behind the counter. I had listened to a lot of Bob James at my buddy's home and recognized the structure of the song. I asked the guy behind the counter if it was a Bob James record and when he told me it was, I realized that I was then a jazz fan. That's still my favorite era for jazz [[1977-1985).

I own that record. My first jazz albums were Grover Washington, Jr.'s "Skylarkin'" and Bob James' "H". I bought them on the same day back in 1981. I used to think that I hated jazz until one of my friends insisted on playing it and making me listen to finer points of his favorite songs. One day, I was shopping at Moe's Record Shop at OSU and "Lookalike" by Bob James played on the turntable behind the counter. I had listened to a lot of Bob James at my buddy's home and recognized the structure of the song. I asked the guy behind the counter if it was a Bob James record and when he told me it was, I realized that I was then a jazz fan. That's still my favorite era for jazz [[1977-1985).
    That is great. I think I remember Moe's Record Shop in Columbus. Yes Bob James is a favorite. I saw him at the Blue Note in NYC in 1998 and yes, I got to meet him after his set. In 1978, I got the chance to see and meet Stanley Turrentine at a different Blue Note in Boulder, Colorado. I had just started college and me and a group of buddies that all happened to be from NYC went up to see him play. My parents and my uncles were all into Jazz when I was a kid, so I did get to hear a lot of it in the 60s.

Jimmy Smith the organist was my favorite Jazz musician growing up before I learned about many other great Jazz artists. This thread and our other thread in the clubhouse really makes me remember a lot of good things. Thanks Jerry.

Bob James and Grover Washington, Jr. are probably my favorite jazz artists. Love George Benson, Earl Klugh, Marcus Miller and Larry Carlton, too. Big fan of Spyro Gyra and the Crusaders. The Crusaders are the jazz equivalent of Maze, to me. A band that people tend to forget about but their catalog is deep and full of great songs that a lot of jazz fans might not be aware of.

And I love both of these threads, man. The thing is, my brother and sister and some of my friends have similar memories to the "Remember This?" thread, but almost nobody that I know has a similar recollection of these songs. I spent so much time and money on music that it became a solitary pursuit for the most part. A lot of what you guys have posted has dusted off some memories that I thought were gone forever. Love this thread, partner.

One of the most tragic stories in music is in the saga of Starpoint. Another one of those "the light that shines twice as bright burns half as long" type of situations, I guess. My favorite song by them is the jam "Keep On It" that I'm sure I posted already, but this is the only true hit that they had.

I already posted "Keep On" by D-Train. I never heard anybody refer to it, but I'd swear there was a "New York Sound" back in the '80s that was underappreciated. Chic was the embodiment of the best of it, but there was ...something... that a lot of NYC artists were doing that I didn't hear in songs from other areas. This song has it.