[REMOVE ADS]

Page 23 of 31 FirstFirst ... 13 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,150 of 1523
    Most people remember the Force MDs for "Tender Love", which is a true classic soul song. But I will always remember them for "Tears", their first single. This song sends chills through me that only Jackie Wilson, Philip Bailey and Johnny Wilder Jr. have been able to do.

And the sistahs got involved with SWV, who had a good run. My favorite song by them is "Right Here". I should be ashamed to admit it, but their extrapolation of Michael Jackson's "Human Nature" on the remix is the version I prefer. This song still blows me away.

And I can't explain why I always was a fan of Hi-Five, even though I didn't have any of their CDs. Great production with some young and inexperienced voices. Their "Unsung" was similarly sad to H-Town's.

I probably said it before, but Jodeci was the last truly great soul group. I'm in the minority on this forum, but I rank them up with the Temps, Miracles and Tops. I should keep that quiet, though. When K-Ci and JoJo Haley went solo, they came out with this classic song that is unlike anything else in their catalog.

And just in case you thought I was BSing about the "soul" greatness, this song is soulful, smooth, funky and sexy all at the same time. Seriously, this was an underappreciated outfit and that's a shame. I saw a concert clip of them a few years ago and they looked cracked out of their minds and they still sang better than anybody on the radio today. I'd say that we missed out on something great with Jodeci, but their catalog is so vast and consistently incredible that I think they lost out more than we did.

Keith Sweat's "I Want Her" came out at about the time that black music shifted from true R&B to a more synthesized, less soulful sound. But it was also the best time of my adult life, so I'll always love this song and the music of that period. Pretty sure I danced to this song with my wife the night that I met her, so it always will be special.

And this one, too.

Don't ask why, but I have to break from that era. This song is one of my faves. Louis Jordan is easily the most under-appreciated influencer on what would become rhythm and blues and subsequently, rock and roll. I always thought that Kid Creole [[August Darnell) must have sat back and just absorbed his song and his humorous take on seriously great music.

When you hear a Clyde McPhatter record, do you feel compelled to sing along? Even though you can't hold a candle to him? I sing every Clyde McPhatter song that I hear and, no, I don't sound anything like him.

More from the old school, Doris Troy's "Just One Look".

And Barbara Lewis' "Baby, I'm Yours". Any woman who sang this to me before I was married could have had me. Well, almost any woman.

I remember this one playing on the radio from when I wasn't even in school yet.

Sam Cooke is one of those artists that if you asked me to name his best record, I'd give you a stupid look. It's an insane question because almost all of them are.

Speaking of which, I get lost in the lyrics of this song every time I play it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    How about Solo's "Where Do You Want Me To Put It"? A lot of people thought this brother sounded like Sam Cooke or Bobby Womack and a lot of hope was placed on their having a successful career. To my knowledge, this was their highest charting hit, which is a shame.
    He also sounds like Joe Lignon of the Mighty Clouds of Joy. No, they were never even given a chance to catch on. I don't if it was their record company or radio, but I do feel that I know music and this was not played wherever I was at the time of it's release.

And in a similar vein was Shai, who had a great a capella song, "If I Ever Fall In Love" but didn't really follow up.
    This was a big, big,big hit. It was even featured in a movie. I just can't remember the film at the moment.

Most people remember the Force MDs for "Tender Love", which is a true classic soul song. But I will always remember them for "Tears", their first single. This song sends chills through me that only Jackie Wilson, Philip Bailey and Johnny Wilder Jr. have been able to do.
    I LOVED the Force MD's music. They were in my age group and always reminded me of just a bunch of buddies that got together on playground to sing. Well they were, but it was mostly on the Staten Island Ferry! When they started passing one by one, it just made me appreciate their music that much more. Here's the one that started it all:

And this one, too.
    I just never liked him. LOL!

This was our guy here! Carl Carlton who still lives out in Romulus, Michigan!

This sweetie pie here had me thinking she was the Supremes when I first heard this at basketball practice one day......Maxine!

It seemed like everyone in my dorm my freshman year in college had this album by Hot Chocolate....."Every 1s A Winner" baby! LOL!!!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I LOVED the Force MD's music. They were in my age group and always reminded me of just a bunch of buddies that got together on playground to sing. Well they were, but it was mostly on the Staten Island Ferry! When they started passing one by one, it just made me appreciate their music that much more. Here's the one that started it all:

It blew my mind when I learned that "Tears" was recorded in one take. That was a very very talented young man and it was so sad for him to pass so soon.

It blew my mind when I learned that "Tears" was recorded in one take. That was a very very talented young man and it was so sad for him to pass so soon.
    I could understand how they ended up burying TC way out in East Stroudsburg, PA. Never understood that one.
    Last edited by marv2; 03-29-2018 at 08:59 AM.

We only get snapshots of these folks' lives. I like the "Unsung" series, but there's no way you can show decades worth of back story, complete with fights, smiles, tears, pain, triumph, failure and all that comes in life in 44 minutes. Think about all of the conversations and moments in your life that you remember but almost nobody else knows about. There had to be a reason, but we as fans will never know his connection to East Stroudsburg [[unless we get nosy).

I recall listening to the Temptations after reading about their back story and watching the movie about them [[which was just so-so). Suddenly, all of their songs had much more depth than I recalled hearing before. You could almost hear the pain and sense the arguments and problems that they heard when you listened to the singers' voices.

We only get snapshots of these folks' lives. I like the "Unsung" series, but there's no way you can show decades worth of back story, complete with fights, smiles, tears, pain, triumph, failure and all that comes in life in 44 minutes. Think about all of the conversations and moments in your life that you remember but almost nobody else knows about. There had to be a reason, but we as fans will never know his connection to East Stroudsburg [[unless we get nosy).

I recall listening to the Temptations after reading about their back story and watching the movie about them [[which was just so-so). Suddenly, all of their songs had much more depth than I recalled hearing before. You could almost hear the pain and sense the arguments and problems that they heard when you listened to the singers' voices.
    The Temptations "I Wish It Would Rain" immediately comes to mind. The write, Roger Penezene was in so much pain he killed himself right after the song was released.

I never heard that. I remember watching the mini-series and soon after, "My Girl" played on the radio and it sounded different. I'll be honest with you, I always equated the Memphis/Muscle Shoals sound more with soul music than Motown, but after seeing [[and later reading) about what the people went through to bring that joy, even a song that is as sweet and uplifting as "My Girl" now has pain and depth that makes it as soulful as anything else that I hear. I was already a David Ruffin and Eddie Kendricks fan but I hear stuff in their recordings now that I never heard before.

Speaking of which:

And speaking of Memphis, I bet I'm the only one on this forum who likes this version of "Dedicated To The One I Love" more than the original.

Here's a song that I hadn't heard until about five years ago. This is as soulful as anything.

There comes a time when everybody realizes that a singer no longer needs his band. Jeffrey Osborne clearly became the reason everybody bought LTD records and Lionel Ritchie was pretty much the main reason to listen to the Commodores. This is the song that made it abundantly clear that Lionel didn't need his bandmates any more. It's pretty much a solo.

And this is the one that made it obvious that Jeffrey Osborne could do without the headaches associated with being in a band and still make great music. This song sometimes brings me to tears.

And speaking of Memphis, I bet I'm the only one on this forum who likes this version of "Dedicated To The One I Love" more than the original.
    I liked their version a lot every since I first heard it in the 7th Grade.

He's a playboy-the drifters.

Seeing "Rockit" posted made me remember this song from my high school days. I also thought about an article I read in a jazz magazine when Herbie Hancock [[one of the greatest jazz pianists ever) was telling a story about talking to Miles Davis after Wynton Marsalis chastised Hancock about making pop/disco/soul music instead of focusing on jazz. Clearly it played on his mind. Miles told him that Wynton needed to check himself and that Hancock could make any kind of music he wants to. He wasn't worried about "losing the music [[jazz)" because in the words of Davis, "That's what records are for." I always loved that story, even though I wished Herbie would have done more jazz too.

There was time when I couldn't get enough Pieces Of A Dream. Such a fantastic outfit, even from when they were very young. This is one of the few vocal records they had that blew up on Urban radio.

Here's another one that went big for them. It's an instrumental that is somewhere between jazz and soul.

Seeing "Rockit" posted made me remember this song from my high school days. I also thought about an article I read in a jazz magazine when Herbie Hancock [[one of the greatest jazz pianists ever) was telling a story about talking to Miles Davis after Wynton Marsalis chastised Hancock about making pop/disco/soul music instead of focusing on jazz. Clearly it played on his mind. Miles told him that Wynton needed to check himself and that Hancock could make any kind of music he wants to. He wasn't worried about "losing the music [[jazz)" because in the words of Davis, "That's what records are for." I always loved that story, even though I wished Herbie would have done more jazz too.
    Miles was something else. He was also right. I was lucky enough to meet him almost a year before he died. We both were staying at the Luxford Hotel in downtown Minneapolis. One morning I was in the lobby with a few co-workers that were there with me for training and Miles Davis was at the check in counter. I recognized him immediately and went up and said hello to him and introduced myself to him. His voice was almost completely gone by that point but he was nice and tried talking to me for a few minutes.

Here's another one that went big for them. It's an instrumental that is somewhere between jazz and soul.
    Philly all day long! There is an actual Mt. Airy in Philly where Pieces of a Dream were from. I loved this recording.

Interesting! I always thought that it was named for Mt. Airy, North Carolina because I never heard of Mt. Airy in Philadelphia.

Interesting! I always thought that it was named for Mt. Airy, North Carolina because I never heard of Mt. Airy in Philadelphia.
    Mt. Airy is a neighborhood in North Philly up near Fairmount Park. That's where members of Pieces of a Dream grew up. I use to live in Philly.

When I think about R&B, the sound that comes to mind first is from the early '70s. There was a bunch of fun soulful music in that era. The O'Jays. Mandrill. Brick. Kool & the Gang. And AWB, which was hot for several years. Love this track.

And don't forget this one. In my opinion, this song is as iconic as the great EW&F songs from the same era.

If I had to pick out my top 10 O'Jays songs, I would lose my mind. But I'm sure this would be on the list.

One of the greatest songs ever. Everything about this song is perfect.

A long time ago in this thread, I mentioned my love for the Spinners. I have the same problem with picking songs by them that I'd have with the O'Jays.

And Brick was lighting it up back then. An iconic bass line from the '70s. OoooooooWee!

Another classic from that era.

Jerry, every one of those songs you just posted, other than AWB have been posted here already. It's all good, I agree with the point you are making. Growing up during the Motown era in the Detroit area, I welcomed the new sound coming out of Philly.