[REMOVE ADS]

Page 19 of 31 FirstFirst ... 9 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 29 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Skylark-aretha.
    Yes, indeed, arr&bee! The definitive reading of that classic. Both Carmen and Sarah took it out of their repertoires after Ree put her stamp on it!

Gonna get married-major lance.

This used to get played a lot when I was a kid. Chuck Willis' What Am I Living For.

Also, Hang Up My Rock and Roll Shoes. I sing these songs whenever I hear them.

Oh ok Jerry, so you want to go there then? Well then take this! LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    This is the quintessential Brothers Johnson jam. One of Q's best mixes, too.
    Without even having to go look, that was from the Summer of 1978 , one of my special jams like "Get Off" and "I Like the Girls" by Fatback Band.

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Skylark-aretha.
    Look a here JAI!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Without even having to go look, that was from the Summer of 1978 , one of my special jams like "Get Off" and "I Like the Girls" by Fatback Band.
    Do you remember Fatback Band's "King Tim III [[Personality Jock)"? Many consider it to be the first rap song to hit the charts.

And when they changed the name to just Fatback, they dropped one of the funnest albums in my collection, including this jam:

While were are on the subject of Aretha, here is something very special and rare! A test pressing of one of her most powerful recordings "Master Of Eyes" [[Mono & Stereo) - 7″ Test Pressing - 1973

...and also this. I think Fatback is underrated because they were mostly a NYC/East Coast band. But these two cuts are what most people everywhere remember them for. I checked their FaceBook page and they're still out there although it doesn't look like they tour anymore.

I probably posted it before in this thread or somewhere else on SDF, but I'm a huge Leon Sylvers fan. That brother provided the motor for SOLAR with his bass and production. This is one of my favorite songs with him.

Do you remember Fatback Band's "King Tim III [[Personality Jock)"? Many consider it to be the first rap song to hit the charts.

Oh you I do! They were just awesome! There were so, so many great bands at time.

And his stuff with Shalamar was fire. I love so much of their catalog, but this is my favorite Shalamar cut. It sounds like it is mostly Howard Hewitt, though and I suppose that it might have been cut after the split.

And the marriage of SOLAR and the Whispers was the most natural fit. Their first album had "And The Beat Goes On" and "Lady", two all-time classic songs. It also had this one, which was beautiful and flew under a lot of people's radar.

And Lakeside was great in their SOLAR run. I wish there was a definitive SOLAR box set. "Fantastic Voyage" blew me away in my first year of college.

And the marriage of SOLAR and the Whispers was the most natural fit. Their first album had "And The Beat Goes On" and "Lady", two all-time classic songs. It also had this one, which was beautiful and flew under a lot of people's radar.

The Whispers are my brother and cousin's favorite group. I have heard ALL of their music most of my life now. I've seen them at least 3 times in concert. They are awesome too!

I probably posted it before in this thread or somewhere else on SDF, but I'm a huge Leon Sylvers fan. That brother provided the motor for SOLAR with his bass and production. This is one of my favorite songs with him.

Leon is completely under recognized as is most of the R&B music of the early 80s.

Leon is completely under recognized as is most of the R&B music of the early 80s.
    I agree. Of course, R&B transitioned from soul into something else in the late '80s. You had one man outfits and they took it in different directions than traditional R&B. Prince's music incorporated rock; Teddy Riley's incorporated hip hop. Of course, Rick James was more funky, but he kept it closer to soul. But with that said, R&B probably could have withstood the loss of horns [[which was sad enough). It may have been able to withstand the loss of electric bass [[my favorite instrument). But once it lost both, it wasn't nearly as soulful as it was before. I barely recognize "urban" music that I hear on the radio to be R&B's descendant. But I'm old, so what do I know?

Remember this Ohio group...........Faze-O and "Riding High" from 1978?

I agree. Of course, R&B transitioned from soul into something else in the late '80s. You had one man outfits and they took it in different directions than traditional R&B. Prince's music incorporated rock; Teddy Riley's incorporated hip hop. Of course, Rick James was more funky, but he kept it closer to soul. But with that said, R&B probably could have withstood the loss of horns [[which was sad enough). It may have been able to withstand the loss of electric bass [[my favorite instrument). But once it lost both, it wasn't nearly as soulful as it was before. I barely recognize "urban" music that I hear on the radio to be R&B's descendant. But I'm old, so what do I know?
    What happened in the late 80s was a result of what was going on in the greater society. Music programs were being cut from school budgets across the country. Children were growing up not knowing how to play instruments until it got to the point where most no longer had interest in learning. That had a devastating effect on music overall.

Also ushering in of "New Jack Swing" damaged traditional R&B music more so than Disco was accused of doing back in the 70s. If you're old ,then I am older and I KNOW what I am know! LOL!!!

Marv,you just have a treasure trove of soul goodies!

What happened in the late 80s was a result of what was going on in the greater society. Music programs were being cut from school budgets across the country. Children were growing up not knowing how to play instruments until it got to the point where most no longer had interest in learning. That had a devastating effect on music overall.

Also ushering in of "New Jack Swing" damaged traditional R&B music more so than Disco was accused of doing back in the 70s. If you're old ,then I am older and I KNOW what I am know! LOL!!!
    We're sounding like Quincy Jones tonight... But you're right. That's why I love learning how people like Wynton Marsalis are donating time and resources to teach kids the foundations of music. If you learn it the right way, you can express yourself through notation, not loops, samples, or cleverly programmed computer sound patches.

I dare you to find good time, feel good music like this being made anywhere today! From 1978, Jimmy Bo Horne and "Dance Across the Floor"!

We're sounding like Quincy Jones tonight... But you're right. That's why I love learning how people like Wynton Marsalis are donating time and resources to teach kids the foundations of music. If you learn it the right way, you can express yourself through notation, not loops, samples, or cleverly programmed computer sound patches.
    Exactly! I have heard some very famous rappers mention in interviews that they don't know how to play instruments and they do not care! They don't even hire real musicians for any of their "productions". It is not real music at all!

Do you recall the time in the '80s when two-man outfits started to hit the charts? Sometimes, it was one guy on instruments and another on vocals. There was the System, which hit big with this song:

And Kiara, who only had a couple albums that I recall. But their first had some nice ballads on it, like "The Best of Me".

And also, Well Red. They are a greatly under appreciated outfit. This was one of my favorite funk songs of the decade and, like the System, it was made by a couple of Brits.

And the Fit had one hit that I remember. The album was a dog and a waste of my loot, but I still like this tune.

D-Train was another one. They had a lot of good songs but their first one is still my favorite. I only play the long version when I listen to it. LOL. I can't help but sing [[loudly) when it gets to the "I can't let nobody keep me from reaching the top" part of the song.

Loose Ends actually had three members but Carl McIntosh was the reason they rocked. They had an album that was essentially a solo record called "Look How Long" and it is still one of my favorite records. They had more of my favorite songs than I could list.

Yes I remember the two man acts. This one Charles & Eddie had a big hit in 1990 or around there with

And also, Well Red. They are a greatly under appreciated outfit. This was one of my favorite funk songs of the decade and, like the System, it was made by a couple of Brits.

I know I am going to be in trouble, but what decade? I have never heard this track before ever!

This was the toughest British act in my opinion that was popular around the turn of the decade 80s to 90s

When Chicago House Music got popular in New York City......

Yes the late 80s was party time.......

I know I am going to be in trouble, but what decade? I have never heard this track before ever!
    I think all of those were from the '80s. I used to blast that track on my way to the clubs because I knew they wouldn't play it. There's a sublime bass solo near the end that is too funky.

This was the toughest British act in my opinion that was popular around the turn of the decade 80s to 90s

Yeah, Soul II Soul reminds me of Loose Ends. They stayed on the radio for half a year with that cut and Keep On Moving.

I think all of those were from the '80s. I used to blast that track on my way to the clubs because I knew they wouldn't play it. There's a sublime bass solo near the end that is too funky.
    It's pretty cool, I had just never heard it. I am always surprised and interested in discovering good music . I thought I had heard it all! Thanks Jerry

Yeah, Soul II Soul reminds me of Loose Ends. They stayed on the radio for half a year with that cut and Keep On Moving.
    Soul II Soul, Loose Ends, Junior, Mica Paris were all popular British R&B artists in the 80s. Some really good music came from them.

My personal musical goddess........at least at that time along with Sade! Mica!

Soul II Soul, Loose Ends, Junior, Mica Paris were all popular British R&B artists in the 80s. Some really good music came from them.
    Junior's second album was called Inside Looking Out and it didn't have anything that charted on it. The only single that I recall from it was "Communication Breakdown", which didn't play much on radio. But the album is actually really good. Nothing to really dance to, but it's a calm and mellow and well-produced record. It was one of those that I listened to a second time even though it didn't blow me away at first. Nothing on it was as interesting and easy to dance to as "Mama Used To Say". I used to buy so many records that I have some that I've only heard once to this day. But on the second pass, Inside Looking Out was actually a really fine album.

And I recall going to a concert to see Loose Ends, Keith Sweat and Troop somewhere in the early 90s when Loose Ends cancelled out. They were scheduled to be the second set and had never performed here before. When they announced [[after Troop left the stage) that they wouldn't perform, I thought there would be a riot. People went off because Keith Sweat had just been in Columbus four months earlier and most of the concert-goers paid to see him again only so that they could see Loose Ends.

They booed Keith Sweat until he told them that he had nothing to do with the cancellation and asked why they were taking it out on him. Might as well enjoy the show. Calmer heads prevailed, the booing stopped, and the show went on. It wasn't as good as his earlier show, though and I wonder if he shortened it because of the booing.

I know you remember this one. Imagination had a song that stays in my head all day after I hear it. It's funny that I didn't notice how many British acts were all over soul/R&B radio when they were charting. In hindsight, they respected and performed it as well as American artists did.

Here's another one. The Pasadenas were a one-hit wonder but this song is so cool.

And another one, Roachford. This song still pumps me up. Some songs just have a lot of energy that makes me want to dance and this is one of them.

My personal musical goddess........at least at that time along with Sade! Mica!
    Man, there is nothing like Sade's first album. I used to listen to that thing in my folks' basement all the time and wonder why I couldn't find a girl like her to sing to me just like that.

I know you remember this one. It's one of those songs that I listen to when it plays but never really thought about when it was on the radio. Kind of like Blu Cantrell's "Hit 'Em Up Style".

One of the best albums in my collection is Hearsay by Alexander O'Neal. Every single song on that record is incredible. It may be the best thing that Jam and Lewis did and that's saying a lot. "Fake" and "Criticize" were big hits in central Ohio.

And I used to love their work with Cherrelle. "Saturday Love" was the jam.

Junior's second album was called Inside Looking Out and it didn't have anything that charted on it. The only single that I recall from it was "Communication Breakdown", which didn't play much on radio. But the album is actually really good. Nothing to really dance to, but it's a calm and mellow and well-produced record. It was one of those that I listened to a second time even though it didn't blow me away at first. Nothing on it was as interesting and easy to dance to as "Mama Used To Say". I used to buy so many records that I have some that I've only heard once to this day. But on the second pass, Inside Looking Out was actually a really fine album.

And I recall going to a concert to see Loose Ends, Keith Sweat and Troop somewhere in the early 90s when Loose Ends cancelled out. They were scheduled to be the second set and had never performed here before. When they announced [[after Troop left the stage) that they wouldn't perform, I thought there would be a riot. People went off because Keith Sweat had just been in Columbus four months earlier and most of the concert-goers paid to see him again only so that they could see Loose Ends.

They booed Keith Sweat until he told them that he had nothing to do with the cancellation and asked why they were taking it out on him. Might as well enjoy the show. Calmer heads prevailed, the booing stopped, and the show went on. It wasn't as good as his earlier show, though and I wonder if he shortened it because of the booing.
    I saw Keith Sweat in 1991 in Cincinnati at the Jazz Festival. Not impressed.