[REMOVE ADS]

Page 25 of 31 FirstFirst ... 15 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,250 of 1523
    Of course, this is the D-Train song that got the butts moving back in the day.

Another NYC group was GQ. This album was under the radar because it only had [[to my recollection) one single, which didn't chart very well. I was a big GQ fan and even though the Dark Side Of The Sun LP didn't sell as well as their first two records, it was by far the best thing that they did. Every song is good. This song is an example of something that nobody in my clique ever heard but brings back a ton of memories for me.

Last edited by Jerry Oz; 04-11-2018 at 12:20 PM.

The lead singer of GQ must have been a huge Billy Stewart fan because they covered a few of his song. Everybody remembers their version of "I Do Love You". This is one of the best of those covers.

I don't think we had a lot of Gap Band on this thread yet. There was a point when I reached out without thinking to pick their albums up. Easily the best thing about Total Experience Records.

Charlie Wilson was pure personality back then. He absolutely sold the Gap Band's records with his energy and ad libs. Every fast track was just fun.

"All aboard!"

I remember this song came out of nowhere in the summer of '83. It was played at every party, even though it wasn't on the radio as much as I would have thought. I remember hanging out with my dudes and just jamming that year. LOL. I was drinking [[just a little bit back then) so a lot of my memories of that time are drenched in beer and sweat.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    I remember this song came out of nowhere in the summer of '83. It was played at every party, even though it wasn't on the radio as much as I would have thought. I remember hanging out with my dudes and just jamming that year. LOL. I was drinking [[just a little bit back then) so a lot of my memories of that time are drenched in beer and sweat.
    This song was a part of the soundtrack to the ugly side of life I saw so many indulge in in Denver back when it was a new record.

One of the most tragic stories in music is in the saga of Starpoint. Another one of those "the light that shines twice as bright burns half as long" type of situations, I guess. My favorite song by them is the jam "Keep On It" that I'm sure I posted already, but this is the only true hit that they had.
    Didn't a couple of it's members pass away young? The girl singer was one right?

Forever-major lance

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Didn't a couple of it's members pass away young? The girl singer was one right?
    Renee Diggs died at age 39. Most of the band was composed of the Phillips brothers, of which Ernesto also died at a young age. I hate seeing young people cut down, especially when it appears they have a chance to do well in life.

This song was a part of the soundtrack to the ugly side of life I saw so many indulge in in Denver back when it was a new record.
    It was toward the beginning of the era when party songs went dark. Of course, "The Message" was one of the first to talk about the seedy side of city living but eventually gangsta rap took it all to a whole new level.

Of course, this is the D-Train song that got the butts moving back in the day.
    Now I know that's right! I remember coming home to Detroit on Spring break in 1982. We went out to a club downtown. I remember people running to the dance floor when this one came one! LOL

It was toward the beginning of the era when party songs went dark. Of course, "The Message" was one of the first to talk about the seedy side of city living but eventually gangsta rap took it all to a whole new level.
    Oh I was 22 when "The Message" came out. One of my college buddies Rob Tabon from the Bronx and I were walking through City Park in Denver and it was blasting from his Boom Box [[remember those?). I remember feeling that finally, "meaningful record" was out. One that spoke to me without alot of bullshit. Now when I think about it, the song was more about Rob's life in NYC than mine ever was coming up.

Speaking of Grandmaster Flash, Kid Creole got arrested last year in the city for murder. He stab a guy on his way to work.

Oh I was 22 when "The Message" came out. One of my college buddies Rob Tabon from the Bronx and I were walking through City Park in Denver and it was blasting from his Boom Box [[remember those?). I remember feeling that finally, "meaningful record" was out. One that spoke to me without alot of bullshit. Now when I think about it, the song was more about Rob's life in NYC than mine ever was coming up.
    No joke, but that was the first rap song that I actually liked. My buddy Butch played it for me the night that Larry Holmes fought Gerry Cooney in 1982 [[along with Jonzun Crew's "Pack Jam"; how do I remember that?) and I finally came around. Still a big fan of Grandmaster Flash/Melle Mel. After that, I bought rap without any hangup. Still dig Whodini, Run DMC, Kool Moe D, and a bunch of ol' skool rap artists.

No joke, but that was the first rap song that I actually liked. My buddy Butch played it for me the night that Larry Holmes fought Gerry Cooney in 1982 [[along with Jonzun Crew's "Pack Jam"; how do I remember that?) and I finally came around. Still a big fan of Grandmaster Flash/Melle Mel. After that, I bought rap without any hangup. Still dig Whodini, Run DMC, Kool Moe D, and a bunch of ol' skool rap artists.
    Music and talking about music that meant something to you will bring up long forgotten memories. Many times they are you best memories.

Believe it or not, I only played DeBarge's In A Special Way album once after I bought it. For some reason, I just didn't like it. I dusted it off about a year ago and recognized every single song on the record. I digitized the whole album on my computer. It made me mad that I rushed to judge one of the best albums from the '80s. There are a lot of albums in my collection that I look at and realize that I had some of my favorite songs without realizing it. I remember a co-worker playing Chic's "Good Times" in the break room and only realized a few years ago that I had already owned the album for a month or so before being introduced to one of the best tracks from the '70s. SMH.

Here's a great memory from the Fall of 1983:

Believe it or not, I only played DeBarge's In A Special Way album once after I bought it. For some reason, I just didn't like it. I dusted it off about a year ago and recognized every single song on the record. I digitized the whole album on my computer. It made me mad that I rushed to judge one of the best albums from the '80s. There are a lot of albums in my collection that I look at and realize that I had some of my favorite songs without realizing it. I remember a co-worker playing Chic's "Good Times" in the break room and only realized a few years ago that I had already owned the album for a month or so before being introduced to one of the best tracks from the '70s. SMH.
    It was a great album. I've done that before when I would be 4-5 albums at a time, I could not listen to every song because a week or so would roll around and I would be buying more new albums! The latest one I posted by the Four Tops I bought along with the Temptations "Truly For You" and DeBarge's "Time Will Reveal". I could only remember playing this cut.

The Temps had so many great songs, some kind of went under appreciated. Esecially from the '80s. This is one of my favorite Dennis Edwards Temptations songs.

Here's another one of their '80s gems.

This is the song that made Toni Braxton a star. Her album came out shortly afterward but this was probably the best song on the Boomerang soundtrack.

This song was on that soundtrack as well. Boyz II Men had a period when there was nothing close to them as far as soul music was concerned. This is truly a classic and one of the best produced songs in the '90s [[in my opinion).

I don't think this song was released, but it's low key my favorite song on the Boomerang soundtrack. Shanice should have had a much better career. I need to see if this song led to a LaFace album that perhaps I missed out on because it's a very typical L.A./Babyface production but she adds something special. I sometimes shake my head to realize that voices like this fell by the wayside when people like Janet Jackson [[who I love, BTW) sing low to hide their inability to put emotion in their voice without it being obvious that they have limited range. [[Rant over...)

I used to jam to this when I was alone in my car. I don't even know if I played it for my buddies but it was just one of those records that made me feel good.

The music industry is a meat grinder. One of the saddest stories in the saddest business in the world is that of Musical Youth. These kids could have done something special with some direction and good management.

Here's the original, BTW. They're singing about a food pot in Musical Youth's version and they're singing about smoking weed in this one. One of my favorite reggae songs by both groups.

This song was not any particular genre and crossed over on multiple charts. I heard it in black and white clubs back in the '80s. I understand how it made on MTV but still don't know how it made it on MTV, if that makes any sense. Never mind, it doesn't.

I wouldn't suggest that the Dramatics were underrated because their catalog has a fair number of hits even though I'd never put them in the category of the Tops, Temps or Spinners. But when they had hits, their hits were memorable as heck. Keith Sweat covered this in the '80s and it was a hit but nowhere near as good as this version.

This song is iconic. That's all I have to say.

Chaka Khan is remarkable. I didn't even like her until I saw Rufus in concert in 1979. After that, I loved her. And this is my favorite song by her.

This surprised a lot of people when it came out. She was one of those singers that was well respected but never had a lot of hits. This blew up on the radio and on the video shows. It is sadly forgotten on a lot of flashback shows and I never heard it played on an oldies station.

Barry [[Sonjohn) Johnson used to sing with Twennynine feat. Lenny White and he had such a smooth voice. I don't know if he ever went solo, but his songs never made it to Columbus record shelves or radio. I know you remember this. Yeah, it's a Kenny G song, but really it's a really great Barry Johnson record.

Nothing funkier than some Chaka Khan -- I'm Every Woman. Indeed she is!

Groovy people-lou rawls.

LOVE that one arr&bee!!!

Here's a nice one from First Choice:

Remember this one from King Floyd:

One of 1982's BEST!

I remember Michael Wycoff. This song was one of my favorites for a long time. I'm pretty sure it wasn't released on radio, but my cassette deck was well familiar with it.

That Michael Wycoff song is one of those that I have the audacity to sing when I'm alone or in the shower. Here's another one, my favorite Michael Henderson song:

That Michael Wycoff song is one of those that I have the audacity to sing when I'm alone or in the shower. Here's another one, my favorite Michael Henderson song:
    Oh yes! Of course Michael Henderson! He was really doing it for a nice stretch and then after 1980's "Wide Receiver".........nothing.

Here's one of Michael's biggest hits with Rena Scott. Springtime 1978:

Another one from 1978. Back when you had to SING! Ms. Jean Terrell here.......

I was literally just listening to that one Marv!!! We is rare groovin!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    I was literally just listening to that one Marv!!! We is rare groovin!!!!
    Music and songs trigger the memory like nothing else. I got Jean's album in the Summer of 1978. I'd open up the window and just let it play...............

I was listening to an mp3 CD in my car that had nothing but ol' skool on it. This one came up and reminded me how fantastic this bass line is. Wayne Braithwaite was one of those underappreciated session musicians who could make a good song great back then.

When the Funkadelic collective dissolved back in the '80s, Uncle Jam soldiered on with some albums that may have had a few hits but had a bunch of gems for those who loved P-Funk. I actually paid more attention to this one 20 years later than when I first played it. It's now one of my favorite George Clinton records. The horns are subtle but fantastic and the bass line is so sublime you might not pay attention to how well it carries the song.