[REMOVE ADS]

Page 22 of 31 FirstFirst ... 12 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,100 of 1523
    I always like to hear about folks from my hometown and school doing well. She had one of the most recognizable voices ever in soul music. I used to make the distinction between singers and song stylists. Luther, for example, would be a singer whereas Steve Arrington and Aaron Hall would be stylists; men who could make a song sound great without benefit of either a strong or smooth voice. Anita Baker was both. She had a fantastic voice and she used it like an instrument. She also had a strong will and as we know from history, women who control their own careers have a tough row to hoe. But at the end of the day, I'd rather go out knowing that I did things the way I wanted instead of the way somebody told me. God bless that sister, I hope she enjoys her retirement.

This one was very popular up in New England in '95.....Diana King and "Shy Guy"

This still is a special song.

I'm not sure if this one has been posted yet. I know I referenced it a few pages back, but Stephanie Mills' version of "Home" from The Wiz was already fantastic. But when she came out with this studio version, she took it to another level. In my opinion, nothing compares to this. Especially that weak-sauce version that Ms. Ross sings in the movie. It actually makes me mad hearing her sing it because although I'm not a hater, she's clearly out of her depth. Hmm... Another song that Whitney could have put her magic into.

Both of those recordings ,Stephanie Mills and Dianne Reeves were excellent!

You also made me remember my favorite from Nona Hendryx:

This is a great thread, Marv. So many fantastic songs on every page. My only regret is that most of my familiarity ended in the '90s and I don't have anything from this century to add.

But here's one from the '90s that will still be a classic 40 years from now:

And that reminds me of this one by Cherrelle. Even though Jam and Lewis have signature sounds and effects in most of their records, they produce every song perfect to the singer's voice. I mean, this could only be one of their songs but I can't imagine anyone else singing it.

Montell Jordan was ol' skool in a new skool age. I don't think he got as much appreciation as he probably deserved since the only song most attribute to him was "This Is How We Do It" and that used another song's music. But this is so nice.

Man, the clubs used to love this record in Columbus. Played for a long time.

Here's a forgotten classic from the '80s. I used to snatch up Gap Band albums the first day they got on the shelves. I'd have them on cassette within an hour and then I'd find somewhere to go, not because I had somewhere to be but because I couldn't wait to hear it in the ride! LOL.

And this one, too. Alexander O'Neal is another of those "song stylists" I referred to earlier. This is pure soul.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    This is a great thread, Marv. So many fantastic songs on every page. My only regret is that most of my familiarity ended in the '90s and I don't have anything from this century to add.

But here's one from the '90s that will still be a classic 40 years from now:
    Joe is probably the most underrated, under recognized male vocalist of this century! The dude is bad!!!!!

And that reminds me of this one by Cherrelle. Even though Jam and Lewis have signature sounds and effects in most of their records, they produce every song perfect to the singer's voice. I mean, this could only be one of their songs but I can't imagine anyone else singing it.
    Great song. She is really good. This came out around the time I met her. She is from Detroit by the way.

And this one, too. Alexander O'Neal is another of those "song stylists" I referred to earlier. This is pure soul.
    This song reminds me when I first came to live in Philly. I hadn't even found a place to live. I was put up in hotels by my company. This was a very popular record at that time.

I'm not sure if this one has been posted yet. I know I referenced it a few pages back, but Stephanie Mills' version of "Home" from The Wiz was already fantastic. But when she came out with this studio version, she took it to another level. In my opinion, nothing compares to this. Especially that weak-sauce version that Ms. Ross sings in the movie. It actually makes me mad hearing her sing it because although I'm not a hater, she's clearly out of her depth. Hmm... Another song that Whitney could have put her magic into.
    She did, more than once:

And 11 years later:

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    And 11 years later:

Oh, wow! Thanks, Sans! This again makes me wish we had a chance to hear her put her magic to recording the great American songbooks. Love her, but I'm also angry that she took her talent from us too soon.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    She did, more than once:

Whitney was incredible! She was one of those once in a generation singers. Man do I miss her.

Time to go way back. A lot of people tried to cover this song, but no one did it better than my ladies from Passiac, New Jersey, The Shirelles and "Baby It's You".

Another sweet memory from my childhood....

Ready? Roy Hamilton - "Don't Let Go"

Direct from Pittsburgh U.S.A.! "Come And Go With Me"- The Dell Vikings

From Da Boogie Down Bronx! Dion!

Man Parish - "Boogie Down Bronx" 1985!

Oh, wow! Thanks, Sans! This again makes me wish we had a chance to hear her put her magic to recording the great American songbooks. Love her, but I'm also angry that she took her talent from us too soon.
    You betcha, Jerry! Yep, she left a tremendous void in her wake, that's for sure.

..and the hits just kept on coming!

As I've stated before, I'm a big fan of electric bass. This riff is one of my very favorite. Right up there with "Pull Up To The Bumper" as far as instantly recognizable.

Marv, here's one that was an instant classic and never fails to make butts move.

This may be a repeat. But it's another funky bass line. Narada is not appreciated as much as he should be.

To me, Bernard Edwards and Leon Sylvers represent the same situation. Two bassists who are as fantastic as they are underappreciated. Bernard Edwards' riffs were original and unique. This right here is what's missing from whatever the modern version of soul.

I remember listening to this when it came out like it was yesterday. This album is right up with Stevie's best. Consider how many great records he had and that's saying something.

Speaking of Stevie and that album, this is the most under-appreciated song in his catalog. I bet you could put together a ten album set of songs Stevie left on the cutting room floor that would be better than the best album of almost any other artist.

Now, if you really like soul music, give this a listen to. My brother pulled me over one day about 35 years ago and told me to watch this group as they performed live on the Nashville Network. I bought their album a few months later, not knowing that it was the same act and they had two of the best songs on the record.

It took me years to appreciate Prince. He was too nasty and [[oops) controversial for me. But this was the song that he did that I always liked, even if I didn't feel good about it.

I'll bet I'm the only person in this group who heard this one, so it's not a "classic". But it's a classic in my catalog. Mass Production had an album that slipped under a lot of radars and this is the song that I play first.

This is the song that a lot of people think about when they think about Mass Production, though. So funky and everything that like about the music from the late '70s as black music veered away from more commercial disco.

To me, Bernard Edwards and Leon Sylvers represent the same situation. Two bassists who are as fantastic as they are underappreciated. Bernard Edwards' riffs were original and unique. This right here is what's missing from whatever the modern version of soul.
    We thought this was the most sophisticated music we ever heard. LOL!

This is the song that a lot of people think about when they think about Mass Production, though. So funky and everything that like about the music from the late '70s as black music veered away from more commercial disco.
    They use to play this one a lot Down South.

It took me years to appreciate Prince. He was too nasty and [[oops) controversial for me. But this was the song that he did that I always liked, even if I didn't feel good about it.
    This song was about the Uptown area of Minneapolis. I use to hang out there a Williams Uptown pub,etc.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    They use to play this one a lot Down South.
    Really?! That's the thing about regional radio. Some groups and artists can't break because they can't get played outside of their area. The single from that album was a song called "Style" and they didn't even play it here.

Half of my favorite songs from the '80s weren't hits, but songs that I discovered at a cut out and resale store that campus kids sold for extra cash. We talked about that a couple years ago. I'd buy the albums for $2 and see what was on them. They also had a lot of radio singles. My hit rate was about 20%, which was well worth it. But there were so many great songs that I never heard on local radio.

Really?! That's the thing about regional radio. Some groups and artists can't break because they can't get played outside of their area. The single from that album was a song called "Style" and they didn't even play it here.

Half of my favorite songs from the '80s weren't hits, but songs that I discovered at a cut out and resale store that campus kids sold for extra cash. We talked about that a couple years ago. I'd buy the albums for $2 and see what was on them. They also had a lot of radio singles. My hit rate was about 20%, which was well worth it. But there were so many great songs that I never heard on local radio.
    In New York ,there are songs that were very popular in the late 70s and early 80s that still get played on the radio every weekend! This is one of them. I've heard it every weekend for about 20 years:

I don't listen to radio anymore. Our jazz station changed its format about seven or eight ago and there's nothing else besides sports radio that I listened to. We got another jazz station about three years ago but it's on a weak frequency so I just listen to what I've gathered in 40 years, ranging from 1920s to the early 2000s. Should be able to find something to listen to. Speaking of jazz, here's a jazz/soul classic. I think I cried when Grover died.

I don't listen to radio anymore. Our jazz station changed its format about seven or eight ago and there's nothing else besides sports radio that I listened to. We got another jazz station about three years ago but it's on a weak frequency so I just listen to what I've gathered in 40 years, ranging from 1920s to the early 2000s. Should be able to find something to listen to. Speaking of jazz, here's a jazz/soul classic. I think I cried when Grover died.
    This one was VERY popular when I was in college, Spring of 1981. I was dating this girl from Houston, TX. She was one of those sophisticated types and made me try to be just sophisticated. You know the type, she was into wine and cheese and shit like that. She also listen to only Jazz which made me start listening to more. This one and Manhattan Transfer and Donald Fagen were always on the playlist. LOL!!!!

Yeah, that album started his collaboration with Marcus Miller. Of course, Miller would go on to play for and produce half of everybody in jazz and soul over the next 30 years. He was my favorite artist for years.

I remember when this record came out it led me to have hope that great music was going to continue into the future. I wished it had!

How about Solo's "Where Do You Want Me To Put It"? A lot of people thought this brother sounded like Sam Cooke or Bobby Womack and a lot of hope was placed on their having a successful career. To my knowledge, this was their highest charting hit, which is a shame.

And in a similar vein was Shai, who had a great a capella song, "If I Ever Fall In Love" but didn't really follow up.

And H-Town, who cribbed Roger Troutman for this hit. They had more success than Solo and Shai, but again didn't last very long. Their "Unsung" episode was sadder than most.