[REMOVE ADS]

Page 26 of 31 FirstFirst ... 16 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 LastLast
Results 1,251 to 1,300 of 1523
    This song is tattooed in my mind from the '80s. I wish I could go back and relive some of the moments that I experienced back then. Coincidentally, that was about when I met the missus.

This isn't soul but it was from that same period. This record changed rap in a bunch of ways. It was the first real beef record to sell and it was also one of the first to change cadence of the lyrics. That's Teddy Riley working his magic behind him.

Babyface and L.A. escaped the Deele and blew up the same way that Jam & Lewis [[Flyte Time) did with the Time. Both were in great bands but they made their marks in the industry by being some of the best producers of the '80s and '90s.

Speaking of the Deele:

They had some of the greatest ballads, including this one which I don't think was released but a lot of people in my crowd would jump on the dance floor when it came on.

Another Babyface record. This was before the Deele. I'm not sure if it led to the Deele signing with SOLAR.

Speaking of Jam & Lewis, Alexander O'Neal's "Hearsay" album remains one of the best things I heard in the '80s. Every song on that record was a strike. This might be my favorite.

And his first record, also produced by them, embodies the Minneapolis sound as well as anything outside of Prince's music.

I met Cherelle at a club out on 8 Mile one night back in the mid-80s. I scared her a bit when I introduced her to a couple of buddies of mine that everyone thinks are gangsters. hehehehehehe.......!

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    Speaking of the Deele:
    I always liked this one Jerry.

This song is tattooed in my mind from the '80s. I wish I could go back and relive some of the moments that I experienced back then. Coincidentally, that was about when I met the missus.
    I can't really put my finger on it, but I have never liked Al B. Sure for some reason.

This isn't soul but it was from that same period. This record changed rap in a bunch of ways. It was the first real beef record to sell and it was also one of the first to change cadence of the lyrics. That's Teddy Riley working his magic behind him.
    When my nephew was a toddler, he loved Kool Moe Dee's "Wild, Wild West". He's 32 years old now. LOL!

Here was the "masterpiece" and a bona fide Detroit Classic JAM! "Frontline Symphony" - Eddy Grant:

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I can't really put my finger on it, but I have never liked Al B. Sure for some reason.
    His first album, like Bobby Brown's "Don't Be Cruel" and Keith Sweat's "Make It Last Forever" might as well have served as his greatest hits collection as far as I'm concerned. The songs were all under produced but easy to dance to. The best thing that he did was his part of Q's "Secret Garden".

Another NYC group was GQ. This album was under the radar because it only had [[to my recollection) one single, which didn't chart very well. I was a big GQ fan and even though the Dark Side Of The Sun LP didn't sell as well as their first two records, it was by far the best thing that they did. Every song is good. This song is an example of something that nobody in my clique ever heard but brings back a ton of memories for me.
    And before they changed their name to GQ, they were The Rythm Makers. Here's their club hit ZONE:

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    And before they changed their name to GQ, they were The Rythm Makers. Here's their club hit ZONE:
    I did not know that they had a previous incarnation. I wish we had "like" buttons on this forum.

I did not know that they had a previous incarnation. I wish we had "like" buttons on this forum.
    I believe ZONE was bigger in England.

I was a big GQ fan since "Disco Nights". They had a tight ensemble. Their "Face To Face" album was so solid but didn't break because it only had one really chartable song [["Shake"). But in my opinion, it was by far their best record. This is a song that I always dug off of it.

FACE TO FACE sounds good! I was a club DJ then and DISCO NIGHTS was a favorite. I liked diversity in the night's composite sound and GQ stood out. Part of the wave of "rock" "freak" records so popular then.

Maybe not a big seller,but..your baby doesn't love you anymore-ruby an the romantics is a soul gem.

What would an 80s party be like without this one....."Din Daa Daa" by Greg Krantz:

Bros. Johnson:

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    Bros. Johnson:

This song, along with the Commodores "Easy" and Stevie Wonder's "Sir Duke" were played a trillion times in 1977 it seems.

This song, along with the Commodores "Easy" and Stevie Wonder's "Sir Duke" were played a trillion times in 1977 it seems.
    Any idea why the title is STRAWBERRY LETTER "23" when they sing "22"??

researching music on the internet so often offers rewarding surprises. like finding out STRAWBERRY LETTER 23 is a remake. And was not remade far from the original.

quite a gift from Shuggie.

They had some of the greatest ballads, including this one which I don't think was released but a lot of people in my crowd would jump on the dance floor when it came on.
    Take note of the jheri curls!!! Should start a thread on that super-popular 'do of the era!

I had all the popular brands!😂😂

The lead singer of GQ must have been a huge Billy Stewart fan because they covered a few of his song. Everybody remembers their version of "I Do Love You". This is one of the best of those covers.
    I agree on both those points, Jerry.

Charlie Wilson was pure personality back then. He absolutely sold the Gap Band's records with his energy and ad libs. Every fast track was just fun.
    And now another generation is reveling in "Uncle Charlie's" brilliance; thanks to R. Kelly's, "First Name Charlie, Last Name Wison." Even rappers love Uncle.Charlie! At one point, he was singing on most hip-hop records & award shows!!

Maybe someone should start a thread on R. Kelly's positive attributes: resurrecting funk & r&b acts; Charlie Wilson [[Uncle Charlie), Ron Isley [[Mr. Big), etc.

Oh. Before I go, whatever happened to the rest of the GAP Band? Didn't they all hail from the same home town? Hence the group's name was an acronym of the streets of that town.

Another Babyface record. This was before the Deele. I'm not sure if it led to the Deele signing with SOLAR.
    One of the Calloways went to my high school in ATL. He was a couple years ahead of me, though.

"All aboard!"
    "Don't miss that train. Don't miss the party train!"

And when Teddy Pendergrass left Harold Melvin & the Blue Notes, he was the hottest soul artist in the world. He was selling out concerts for ladies only! Yeah, his light waned much too soon and it was sad how it flickered out, but this brother was fire. He's still a first-name-only star. Michael. Diana [[yes). Teddy. RIP.
    "I think I'd better let it go. Looks like another love tko!"

Ronald Isley might be the most underrated soul singer of all since he was part of a family ensemble. But have no doubt, the Isley Brothers were great as a band - really, really great in my opinion - but Ronald's voice made a great band even better. I'm a huge fan of the T-Neck years.
    Still can't believe he was once married to the gorgeous 👼 Winbush! [[Angel- Rene & Angela) Talk about musical royalty!!

This song was sublime. I don't think there's another Isley song with a similar arrangement and Ernie's guitar solos knock it out of the park. People in my neighborhood played this out but it didn't get played a lot on the radio. I'm not even sure it was a single.
    Ernie Isley's guitar riffs are underrated.

Boz Scaggs' "Jojo" might not be considered a soul song, but if not then I think of it as such. He toed the line between pop and soul in my opinion.
    Jerry, add "Dirty Lowdown" to that same consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    I have to say Jerry that is quite impressive, the level of openness you have to music... your collection must be huge and quite varied! I can never stray too far from the R&B/Soul/Funk genre unfortunately... I enjoy some Rock, but it has to be funky or soulful or jazzy, and I enjoy some jazz, but again it has to be soulful or funky jazz. If things get too rocky or too jazzy they lose me... and I don't even bother with genres like country or metal, which is probably quite closed-minded of me, but there you go.

I try and be open to modern "pop" music as well and as long as it is real and soulful, it’s A-OK on my list. Bruno Mars, Jess Glynne, Charlie Puth, Meghan Trainor, they're all good. Sometimes I do question this, but I think at the end of the day it's OK just to enjoy a bit crossover pop music for what it is!!!!
    I read a really strange article recently. Teddy Riley was being honored at the Apollo. And this writer insinuated that Bruno Mars' was the rebirh of Teddy's New Jack Swing sound.

Jerry, Marv, any thoughts on that premise?

And Freddie Jackson somehow flamed out. This dude should still be all over the radio. The last song I heard from him sounded like somebody who was trying to sound like Freddie Jackson. Such a shame.
    Back inaday, when he was comedian, Mark Curry's doppelganger!

Stacy Lattislaw should have had a much longer career. She sang so well for such a young woman. She was 14 or 15 when this one was recorded. If I recall, Narada produced it.
    Cut a great single with Johnny Gill later on.

He of course, is still recording today. His voice finally caught up to his age!![[:

This is my favorite song by Donna Summer. She really could singonna Summer - There will always be a you [[1979)

I agree, Marv. She could definitely"sang" , as they say. Shortly before her death, the pipes were just as strong as they were back in the '70's.

I already posted "Keep On" by D-Train. I never heard anybody refer to it, but I'd swear there was a "New York Sound" back in the '80s that was underappreciated. Chic was the embodiment of the best of it, but there was ...something... that a lot of NYC artists were doing that I didn't hear in songs from other areas. This song has it.
    And like early Prince, he played all the instruments on his albums! All vocals too! For years, I thought D-Train was a band?

Quote Originally Posted by nativeNY63 View Post
    And now another generation is reveling in "Uncle Charlie's" brilliance; thanks to R. Kelly's, "First Name Charlie, Last Name Wison." Even rappers love Uncle.Charlie! At one point, he was singing on most hip-hop records & award shows!!

Maybe someone should start a thread on R. Kelly's positive attributes: resurrecting funk & r&b acts; Charlie Wilson [[Uncle Charlie), Ron Isley [[Mr. Big), etc.

Oh. Before I go, whatever happened to the rest of the GAP Band? Didn't they all hail from the same home town? Hence the group's name was an acronym of the streets of that town.
    Robert died in 2010. He was only 53.
    https://www.musicradar.com/news/guit...on-dies-271758

The last I heard about Ronnie was when he sued Charlie, who prevented him from using the Gap Band name in local gigs around their hometown of Tulsa. Messy situation that probably has a very ugly back story.
    https://eurweb.com/2015/11/25/gap-ba...harlie-wilson/

Music industry is a meat grinder.

For some reason Youtube took done the copy of this I previously upload:

Quote Originally Posted by nativeNY63 View Post
    I read a really strange article recently. Teddy Riley was being honored at the Apollo. And this writer insinuated that Bruno Mars' was the rebirh of Teddy's New Jack Swing sound.

Jerry, Marv, any thoughts on that premise?
    Personally, I think there are a bunch of sounds interwoven in Bruno's music. I like him because he is the first to throw credit to his predecessors and influences. When other artists grumble that he cribbed sections of their songs, he has given them credit and a share of royalties. That's respectful. Regarding New Jack Swing, I might get a little of it from the vocals but Bruno Mars uses "real" instruments in a lot of his songs - bass and electric guitars, live drums, etc. Teddy Riley used almost all synths and drum machines, if I recall correctly. I'd like to read that article but for my thin understanding of music composition, NJS would be a very minor part of how Bruno fashions his songs.

That young woman who went viral for protesting Bruno Mars' "cultural appropriation" needs to shut up, by the way. If someone suggested that Prince's rock songs [[or Lenny Kravitz) were cultural appropriation, there would have been a civil war breaking out.

Here's another person that does not get the recognition he deserves.....Gene Chandler:

Some heavy, kickin' deep Soul here :

My baby!!!

Back when being "cool" was everything! Watch the video children. LOL!

Pauli Carman was like Johnny Wilder, Jr. A great voice who never was noticed as much as the band.

And this one:

There were a lot of great outfits in the '90s that got off to hot starts before disapearing. I always wondered why Soul 4 Real never followed up their album with more hits. They seemed to be a talented family.

This was the follow up, which I thought was better.