[REMOVE ADS]

Page 7 of 31 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 17 ... LastLast
    LOL you just made me feel reaaaaallllly old....Marv

So that means this one is REALLY before your time...but first a little back story that I don't think I ever told on SDF.

A bazillion years ago, Obie introduced me to Clarence Paul. Now back then, I wasn't as sophisticated about the who, what, and where of all the musicians , composers, producers etc. as I am now but anyhoo, I thought Clarence was just a cool dude who knew the Tops and liked music. One day we were hanging out at his place and I was spinning records [[he had an awesome collection) and I ran across the song I'm about to post. I LOVE THIS SONG and told him so. He started laughing and I didn't know why until he asked me to stop the music and look at the record.....oH s@$#t....HE WROTE THE SONG......LOL ...TALK ABOUT EMBARRASSED And just a side note, Clarence is the one who introduced me to Ronnie Mac....didn't have a clue about him back then either ahahahaha.....MEMORIES

Time to call it quits.

arr&bee...this one's for you. Why? Just because

Remembering this great artist. My favorite music period for Natalie Cole was the 70's. This is my favorite by her. She just soars when gets to this part....

We're like a flower to a tree
    Like words to a melody of love
    There's no way we could break up
    No words that can make us
    Blow our thing, we're just Inseparable

She could do it all

Quote Originally Posted by ms_m View Post
    time to call it quits.

arr&bee...this one's for you. Why? Just because

and you;re my[sunshine on a cloudy day]

Til you decide to come home-the trammps

Slipped away-ray,goodman,brown

...and drops mike.....ahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

I Keep Asking You Questions - Black Ivory.

Because I came across a bootleg cd case of Spinning Around in the collection of 286/386 software that I'm cleaning out.....and it contained a Celia Cruz bootleg.

So I started feigning and spent the next 30 minutes looking for one of my 3 BI LPs.

With all this reunion talk a former poster and this song came to mind...

Love is-the chi-lites

LOL you just made me feel reaaaaallllly old....Marv

So that means this one is REALLY before your time...but first a little back story that I don't think I ever told on SDF.

A bazillion years ago, Obie introduced me to Clarence Paul. Now back then, I wasn't as sophisticated about the who, what, and where of all the musicians , composers, producers etc. as I am now but anyhoo, I thought Clarence was just a cool dude who knew the Tops and liked music. One day we were hanging out at his place and I was spinning records [[he had an awesome collection) and I ran across the song I'm about to post. I LOVE THIS SONG and told him so. He started laughing and I didn't know why until he asked me to stop the music and look at the record.....oH s@$#t....HE WROTE THE SONG......LOL ...TALK ABOUT EMBARRASSED And just a side note, Clarence is the one who introduced me to Ronnie Mac....didn't have a clue about him back then either ahahahaha.....MEMORIES

Well Ms_M, "Rescue Me" came out in 1965 and I was in grade school. Ain't no need in my lying. My parents use to have house parties and that was one I clearly along with Shotgun, Can't Help Myself, anything by James Brown etc that year. Obie was my friend too. Help us get into clubs during special events LOL! I use to run into them on the road in whatever city I was living at the time and go see them on stage and backstage to cue the homesickness I got sometimes.

I loved Purple Raindrops and Purple snowflakes. That is a funny story you told about Clarence Paul, hehehehehehe...............

Quote Originally Posted by destruction View Post
    I Keep Asking You Questions - Black Ivory.

Because I came across a bootleg cd case of Spinning Around in the collection of 286/386 software that I'm cleaning out.....and it contained a Celia Cruz bootleg.

So I started feigning and spent the next 30 minutes looking for one of my 3 BI LPs.
    I always say that Black Ivory was the top underrated and under recognized singing group of the 70s.

...and drops mike.....ahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
    He can't sing. They just clap because he is the POTUS and to make him feel good. LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Til you decide to come home-the trammps
    JAI did you mean this one by the Detroit Emeralds?

Quote Originally Posted by Luciano View Post
    Remembering this great artist. My favorite music period for Natalie Cole was the 70's. This is my favorite by her. She just soars when gets to this part....

We're like a flower to a tree
    Like words to a melody of love
    There's no way we could break up
    No words that can make us
    Blow our thing, we're just Inseparable

Luciano, great choice. I remember watching this TV special about a month before I graduated from high school.

Love is-the chi-lites
    Piling on:

Here in Spain the "great" absolute hit by The Chi-lites was the up tempo single "You Don't Have To Go, Part I" w/b "Part Two"... with the nice violin solo and the sexy whisper in the middle [[by a female?)

Quote Originally Posted by manny View Post
    Here in Spain the "great" absolute hit by The Chi-lites was the up tempo single "You Don't Have To Go, Part I" w/b "Part Two"... with the nice violin solo and the sexy whisper in the middle [[by a female?)
    I love that song...

And this TUNE!!

Thank you, TomatoTom 123

I'm a Chi-lites lover from my teens in the 70's. Some other up-tempo favorites are "You Got To Be The One", "The Devil Is Doing His Work" and "Stoned Out Of My Mind". But my absolute favorites are all mellow ballads as "The Coldest Days Of My Life", the cover of Roberta Flack's "First Time I Ever saw Your Face" and, specially the end part of "Love Comes In All Sizes" with the nice strings and classical horns and percussion... But this thread is about JAMS!! :-)

How nice it is-billy stewart

Not from Detroit - but still a tune for the moment. Barbara Mason, World In A Crisis from the Transitions LP on Buddah, 1974,

Thank you, TomatoTom 123

I'm a Chi-lites lover from my teens in the 70's. Some other up-tempo favorites are "You Got To Be The One", "The Devil Is Doing His Work" and "Stoned Out Of My Mind". But my absolute favorites are all mellow ballads as "The Coldest Days Of My Life", the cover of Roberta Flack's "First Time I Ever saw Your Face" and, specially the end part of "Love Comes In All Sizes" with the nice strings and classical horns and percussion... But this thread is about JAMS!! :-)
    "Stoned Out of My Mind", "For God Sake, More Power to the People" and "Toby" were some of my favorites by the Chi-Lites.

Quote Originally Posted by waynesville View Post
    Not from Detroit - but still a tune for the moment. Barbara Mason, World In A Crisis from the Transitions LP on Buddah, 1974,

Exactly, perfect for right now.

This song should have been a bigger hit in the U.S. I use to hear it on Canadian radio when I was in high school. Sweet Sensation with "Sad Sweet Dreamer". So smooth.............

Now here is the song that seemed to stay Number One forever my senior year in high school, well it was for 9 weeks in 1978..........The Bee Gees and "Night Fever" go on and get down!

Sorry Dionne, but this is my favorite version of "Walk On By"....

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    This song should have been a bigger hit in the U.S. I use to hear it on Canadian radio when I was in high school. Sweet Sensation with "Sad Sweet Dreamer". So smooth.............

Great one! I only have two 45's by these guys [[I read they want make with him "the UK response to the US Jackson V", also the lead singer sadly died very young...!).

The 45's hi have are "Mail Train" and a very good funky and funny tune called "Mr. Cool" that reminds me in some way to "Give People What They Want" by The O'Jays:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qS8iVM6GfbM

I wish it were me you loved-the dells

The Winstons' "Color Him Father" classic. It's sad that we don't get songs like this anymore.

Can you believe I am in Starbucks and this song is playing?...

He can't sing. They just clap because he is the POTUS and to make him feel good. LOL!
    Probably couldn't carry the entire song but I think he hit the notes rather well.
    To each their own.

Great one! I only have two 45's by these guys [[I read they want make with him "the UK response to the US Jackson V", also the lead singer sadly died very young...!).

The 45's hi have are "Mail Train" and a very good funky and funny tune called "Mr. Cool" that reminds me in some way to "Give People What They Want" by The O'Jays:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qS8iVM6GfbM
    Yes, the lead singer Marcel King, passed away of a brain hemorrhage at the age of 38 in 1995. I communicated with one of his brothers once.

Probably couldn't carry the entire song but I think he hit the notes rather well.
    To each their own.
    I'm just kidding. I am going to really miss MY President Obama.

Can you believe I am in Starbucks and this song is playing?...

Oh yes, yes Luciano! LOL!

Great choice JAI! From the album "The Dells vs The Dramatics":

This was my favorite cut from that album. The Dells and "I Miss You":

The first single from the "New Miracles" from 1973 "What Is A Heart Good For"

Great choice JAI! From the album "The Dells vs The Dramatics":

Great one!! Anyway, from "The Dells Vs. The Dramatics" album that I acquired on my latest teens, my all time favorites are The Dramatic's "Tune Up" and "Don't Make Me Promises", specially the first, very mellow with this intro similar to the Soul Survivor's "Expressway To Your Heart"...

Thanks Marv. Was an Unsung ever done on the Dells?

Oh yes, yes Luciano! LOL!
    Lol Marv! Too funny.

Thanks Marv. Was an Unsung ever done on the Dells?
    I don't believe so, but if you do a search here on SDF, you will find a nice documentary done on the group.

Thanks Marv! I will check it out this weekend.

Not to neglect the 80s altogether. Check out these two lovelies from Montreal, Cheri with "Murphy's Law" from 1982:

Ain't that good news-sam cooke

Ain't that good news-sam cooke
    One of his very BEST!

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone! Thanks to Marv for his recent post of The Miracles "What A Heart Is Good For" for the inspirations for these following entries.

One of things I am thankful for is the fact these artists continued even after their lead singer left. Otherwise I may not have gotten these favorites by....

The Temptations

Last edited by Luciano; 11-24-2016 at 02:14 PM.

The Miracles....

The Supremes...