[REMOVE ADS]

Page 17 of 31 FirstFirst ... 7 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 27 ... LastLast
    The Dazz Band grew out of Kinsman Dazz, which had one of my unquestionably favorite tunes with this one:

Midnight Star went over the top with electronic dance music when they came out with "Freak-A-Zoid". This song got lost in the mix of that album, which is too bad because it sounds a lot like their earlier output, which I like a lot.

This is sooooo underrated. The Chi-Lites were such a wonderful group. The arrangement and lyrics of this are so special.

And if you didn't cry when you first heard this, then I'll cry for you, you cold heartless bastards.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    The Dazz Band grew out of Kinsman Dazz, which had one of my unquestionably favorite tunes with this one:
    Jerry, there was a popular bar in East Cleveland that was called the "Kinsman" club. I heard that the band took it's name from it and then combined "dance + jazz" to come up with "Dazz". Ever hear this story?

Sad, sad song by the Chi-Lites from my freshman year in High School. The O'Jays had an equally sad song my freshman year in College with this one:

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Jerry, there was a popular bar in East Cleveland that was called the "Kinsman" club. I heard that the band took it's name from it and then combined "dance + jazz" to come up with "Dazz". Ever hear this story?
    That sounds right, Marv. I never heard of the Kinsman Club, though. I remember Brick's classic song "Dazz", which stood for "disco jazz". That was another iconic funk bass line in that one, BTW.

Sad, sad song by the Chi-Lites from my freshman year in High School. The O'Jays had an equally sad song my freshman year in College with this one:

LOL. I almost posted that one behind "Toby". The difference is that Brandy left my dude while Toby died. Personally, the saddest song for me is called "Boys In Blue" by View From The Hill, which is about childhood friends who were drafted and sent to fight in a war. My bond with my childhood friends is unbreakable and that song gets me every time I hear it.

LOL. I almost posted that one behind "Toby". The difference is that Brandy left my dude while Toby died. Personally, the saddest song for me is called "Boys In Blue" by View From The Hill, which is about childhood friends who were drafted and sent to fight in a war. My bond with my childhood friends is unbreakable and that song gets me every time I hear it.
    People I knew at the time concluded that "Brandy" was about a dog. Go figure The king, the daddy of all sad songs is Clarence Carter's "Patches". its so good, it is just awful! LOL!

Even though some are gone now, I am still buddies with a lot of kids I grew up with.

Even though some are gone now, I am still buddies with a lot of kids I grew up with.
    The only reason that I signed up for Facebook last year was to keep up with some of my old buddies.

People I knew at the time concluded that "Brandy" was about a dog. Go figure The king, the daddy of all sad songs is Clarence Carter's "Patches". its so good, it is just awful! LOL!
    My Uncle Lloyd insisted it was about a dog and the thought enters my mind every time I hear the song.

My Uncle Lloyd insisted it was about a dog and the thought enters my mind every time I hear the song.
    So I guess it was actually about a dog.

Here's one by the O'Jays that was just good, happy music. I like happy music.LOL!!!

Here's one by the O'Jays that was just good, happy music. I like happy music.LOL!!!

Me too, Marv, me too. Love it!

Hey Marv & TTom

Here;s one you may not like then!

Quote Originally Posted by RichyP View Post
    Hey Marv & TTom

Here;s one you may not like then!

Oh I loved that song as a kid. We use to just do the Fa,fa,fa,fa part and my Mom would get mad! LOL!!!

Forgot to post this one earlier, from the same O’Jays album... just love it...

You-maze...lady love-lou rawls...loverboy-the spinners...electricnation-ewf...steamboat-the drifters...i could have loved you-the moments.

people i knew at the time concluded that "brandy" was about a dog. Go figure the king, the daddy of all sad songs is clarence carter's "patches". Its so good, it is just awful! Lol!
    hey marv,listen to the verse,sat her on the porch in the rain..brandy is about a dog!

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    hey marv,listen to the verse,sat her on the porch in the rain..brandy is about a dog!
    Oh I now it is about a dog,but back at the time I was miffed as why everyone thought that it was about a dog. Great song in any case.

Badder than a Brick House! SHE'S A BAD MAMA JAMA by Carl Carlton!!!

I remember this one from Carl back in the 60s!

Hey Marv

I had completely forgotten Little Carl Carlton.Thanks for reminding me. He had absolutely zero exposure in the UK, but I remember picking up this exact [[bullet hole import) disc from a Whitechapel market stall , 68 or 69 the "14 year old sensation" intrigued me! Never before having heard him, or of him

And another thing Marv

Seeing your recent post Re Lalah Hathaway reminded of Donny, and his for all intents and purposes "B side", which has been covered by what can only be described as a veritable "who's Who" of soul music, Including.... Ree, ... the Poet,....Deniece Williams, and Alicia Keys
    Not forgetting Lalah herself, along with Take 6

Shades of James Ingram, and Peabo Bryson in there as well don'tcha think
    Last edited by RichyP; 11-07-2017 at 07:45 AM.

And another thing Marv

Seeing your recent post Re Lalah Hathaway reminded of Donny, and his for all intents and purposes "B side", which has been covered by what can only be described as a veritable "who's Who" of soul music, Including.... Ree, ... the Poet,....Deniece Williams, and Alicia Keys

This is truly a classic. It was issue or perhaps re-issued at the B-side to "This Christmas" in America in the 70s. It gets played every holiday season.

And another thing Marv

There are some hints of both singers, but just remember, Donny came first!

Hey Marv

I had completely forgotten Little Carl Carlton.Thanks for reminding me. He had absolutely zero exposure in the UK, but I remember picking up this exact [[bullet hole import) disc from a Whitechapel market stall , 68 or 69 the "14 year old sensation" intrigued me! Never before having heard him, or of him

His music was very popular locally in Detroit when I was a kid. One song, "I Won't Let that Chump Break Your Heart" is another one I remember well.

That sounds right, Marv. I never heard of the Kinsman Club, though. I remember Brick's classic song "Dazz", which stood for "disco jazz". That was another iconic funk bass line in that one, BTW.

Hey Guys

just been listening to some Bobby Womack on U-Toob,

Anyone else hear Dennis Edwards/Seidah Garret Don;t Look Any Further here

Last edited by RichyP; 11-18-2017 at 04:04 PM.

Don't remember this one, glad I found it now

Don't remember this one, glad I found it now

WHAT THA, HOLD THE PHONES — a David Ruffin song I don’t know about?! How have I never heard of it? WHAT MADNESS IS THIS!?

Just looked it up, it was from Bobby Womack's 1978 LP Pieces and David is there in the background. I guess it came about through Don Davis, who produced Bobby's Pieces album and David's So Soon We Change LP from the same year.

OK TOM PANIC OVER, LOL

Thanks for sharing anyway Richy

I heard this one today. From 1968, William Bell and Judy Clay "Private Number"

Thats a great song Marv!

Getting back to my Bobby Womack musings tho' I guess he was real happy when the Rolling Stones picked this one up and ran with it, must have been a big earner? I do like this original version tho'

Freda Payne -A song for you

I was driving with my dad today and this came up on an mp3 CD that I made for him:

And of course, there is this classic by Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes:

And the cover version by Simply Red is a classic in its own right from the '80s. Normally, I turn up my nose at covers that are made many years after the original, but this was so respectfully done, I can't hate it.

Speaking of covers, Roger had some big balls with a funk cover of "I Heard It Through The Grapevine". This was huge in Columbus in the '80s.

Trouble Funk doesn't get the love that Chuck Brown and EU seem to get as pillars of Go-Go, but they should have. That sub-genre is probably the best club music ever but never caught on big outside of Washington DC. Drop The Bomb was another dance floor monster. If there are three all-time classic Go-Go hits, this goes right up with Da Butt and Bustin' Loose.

Thats a great song Marv!

Getting back to my Bobby Womack musings tho' I guess he was real happy when the Rolling Stones picked this one up and ran with it, must have been a big earner? I do like this original version tho'

Bobby has said just that in old interviews. He received substantial royalties from that song.

Quote Originally Posted by icustomboxes View Post
    Freda Payne -A song for you
    Freda does a very nice job with this song:

This is one of my favorites from Freda. From her 1979 album Red Hot and "Can't Wait"

Speaking of covers, Roger had some big balls with a funk cover of "I Heard It Through The Grapevine". This was huge in Columbus in the '80s.
    Oh this was a killer on the dance floor. I was so lucky to have the opportunity to meet and hang out with Roger at S.O.B.'s in NYC back around 1996 when he was a DJ on KISS FM. He performed at S.O.B.'s and during their break we hung out outside while having smokes. He was amazed that I knew Shirley Murdock being that we all lived in Ohio at one point. I was shocked when Roger passed.

And of course, there is this classic by Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes:
    Total Soul Classic!

Jerry your Simply Red post made me remember one of my "Canadian Summer's" 1992 in particular when this song was the JAM in and around Toronto at the time. Remember this one?

How about some Quiet Storm, or should that be another thread, as it is genre of its own!!

Another favorite of mine from way back in day.......

Soulful Detroit~!!!

The Dramatics-Shake It Well [[1977)

Oh this was a killer on the dance floor. I was so lucky to have the opportunity to meet and hang out with Roger at S.O.B.'s in NYC back around 1996 when he was a DJ on KISS FM. He performed at S.O.B.'s and during their break we hung out outside while having smokes. He was amazed that I knew Shirley Murdock being that we all lived in Ohio at one point. I was shocked when Roger passed.
    My brother told me about Roger when he fronted the Human Body. They performed a set at the Air Force base where he was stationed. He couldn't believe how well the band played when this cat was running around in a g-string. I'd find out that Roger was fond of that g-string in the early 80's when I saw him and Zapp play in Columbus. Truly a showman and a great musician. And if all the stories I heard about him are true, he's was a remarkably generous man as well.