[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Bad Weather didn't do it The Webb album was a brilliant change for the ladies. Jean and Mary both fantastic. Why they also didn't continue to use Frank Wilson is beyond me. I wonder why they picked Jean if she was so difficult Maybe it took them awhile to get to know her.

Quote Originally Posted by jaybs View Post
    Different people, different opinions, Jean's voice & vocal could never grate me, Mary? never see it is anything special, but have nothing against her, would still love to have the album on CD.
    I agree that Mary's voice is unremarkable but on this album Ollie could have come up with a valid point. Jean struggles in the wrong key on some of these songs. Mary's softer approach could have worked better. Still think it is very poor album though, and as the old saying goes you cannot polish a turd.

honest man Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Bad Weather didn't do it The Webb album was a brilliant change for the ladies. Jean and Mary both fantastic. Why they also didn't continue to use Frank Wilson is beyond me. I wonder why they picked Jean if she was so difficult Maybe it took them awhile to get to know her.
    Nope Mary was difficult as she wanted more leads from Diana's replacement,what a joke,cheers.

mpn1jco Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    The higher ups at Motown teamed Frank Wilson with Eddie Kendricks for Boogie Down, Keep on Truckin, Can I, and Girl You Need A Change of Mind instead of producing the Supremes. Mary Wilson said she wanted to keep working with Frank Wilson but he was suddenly not around anymore, an act she believed was one of many that indicated Motown indifferent to them.

Frank Wilson did produce Love Train for the Supremes in 1973. He also produced Down To Love Town for the Originals.

Berry Gordy told Mary Wilson after talking and working with Jean Terrell that she was not suited for the group. He wanted Syreeta Wright. Mary Wilson said no way. Berry Gordy said he washed his hands of the group. I could never figure out why Mary Wilson is so embittered by Motown's lack of support for the post Diana line up. Berry Gordy was upfront and candid and told her Motown was finished with the Supremes.

When Motown moved to California and the assembly line production of music ceased, the Supremes were in trouble.

honest man Guest
    Berry Gordy and his employees where through with the Supremes when Mary Wilson wanted more leads she was not lead singer material with her crokey habit singing like a husky.remember Jean was picked to replace[ America's greatest lead singer who had sung on dozens of hits,]not a hen doo from the Rose and Crown local pub.just remember that.

honest man Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    I agree that Mary's voice is unremarkable but on this album Ollie could have come up with a valid point. Jean struggles in the wrong key on some of these songs. Mary's softer approach could have worked better. Still think it is very poor album though, and as the old saying goes you cannot polish a turd.
    So True you cannot polish a turd all those wasted hours recording Mary's lead,the towel should have been thrown in when she Gagged in on Bridge Over Troubled water effort, a few years earlier,Jean was Supreme as the song goes,cheers,

Agreed this was not the ladies best effort and I believe Jimmy Webb would have never been given another attempt with the Supremes if they had continue to record. I am happy with "This Is the Story" and see no reason to re-release it. I don't see it selling that well.

Quote Originally Posted by franjoy56 View Post
    i love the album too especially the ballads the blossoms should have been eliminated in fsvor of mary lynda and cindy shes on one track the album cover should have had a photo of jml
    What track is Cindy supposed to be on? Never heard this. "I Guess I'll Miss The Man"?

I am not aware of Cindy being on this album