[REMOVE ADS]

Is the current Motown still signing new acts?

does anyone know..cos I have a candidate!

They just signed Chocolate Droppa:

http://allhiphop.com/2016/08/19/chic...colate-droppa/

thanks Marv...I have to figure out who to send a Youtube video to..

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi LaLumia View Post
    thanks Marv...I have to figure out who to send a Youtube video to..
    Anytime. Let us know if we can help.

At this point in time does it really matter...the motown that we all know and love is a classic memory.

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    At this point in time does it really matter...the motown that we all know and love is a classic memory.
    Yeah, that Motown is long gone.............

yeah, but this Long Island kid who I know and have worked with sounds very 'radio now', I think..or no?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAfKaYk5rUA

yeah, but this Long Island kid who I know and have worked with sounds very 'radio now', I think..or no?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAfKaYk5rUA
    If he's from LI, he's alright with me. Listening to his song now.

Jimi, what town is he from?

Wheatly Heights..has a deal with Chrome Orange locally at the moment, but this sounds like a real radio record, so I'm sure all parties would be open to co whatever it is that they do these days..
    and I'm thinking the 'new' Motown could always use another hit.. ya never know..and full disclosure..I'm the 'old man' fighting with my 'daughter' in the video.. hold the applause

Wheatly Heights..has a deal with Chrome Orange locally at the moment, but this sounds like a real radio record, so I'm sure all parties would be open to co whatever it is that they do these days..
    and I'm thinking the 'new' Motown could always use another hit.. ya never know..and full disclosure..I'm the 'old man' fighting with my 'daughter' in the video.. hold the applause

It does sound good. I would like to make a suggestion also. Have him go over to Rafael's House of Fades over in Lindenhurst. Have him see Ralf or Vlad and they can really hook him up with a haircut that will stand out and fit him. The "New" Motown would have nothing to loose and everything to gain by hearing this young man.

great Marv..thanks

great Marv..thanks
    Let's communicate again about this. He does have a good vibe, great potential.

*YEAUCHHHH* I think the only "Current Motown" I trust in right now, IF I ever decide to get some current Motown, would be in their Motown Gospel division. Stevie Wonder too, if / when he records again, but mostly Motown Gospel Division.

No offense to Motown in their continuing lingering-ness to any potential flourishing revivals in any way, but this is more of an offense to all contemporary music, according to my tastes, that sinking feeling that as the later the years goes by according to today, it just "goes down" from there.

There was a time, over a decade ago recently, when I still loved Motown wholely in terms of their new acts too - Erykah Badu, Brian McKnight, India.Arie, Remy Shand, the Temptations, Stevie Wonder, Kem - were still good times.

But not so long ago, about maybe a couple years ago or so, one night, running into a music countdown on I'd assume TVOne, came a then new of the day, music video of a new artist, some flat "Neo Soul", but what caught my eye that glued me to its duration was "Motown Records". But its constant recurring chorus was "Make Love To You", not romancing Teddy Pendergrass "Close The Door" or Peabo Bryson "Feel The Fire", but ten times the un-subtlety of Marvin Gaye's "Let's Get It On". No, it was today's "I am going to have SEX with you" out loud, complete with background women for the the singer and background men to lay down, like all the rest of what ALL the companies considers "music" today.

No - don't need no further rappers I never heard on my favorite record company of yesteryear, nor does it need to be infected with rude lyrics - unless it's blanketed with silky smoothness or a nasty funk groove.

Slightly off topic -

I sat in my local Barbers yesterday watching some music channel on t.v
    All I heard was over produced synthetic sounding monotony, that had no joy in it - no soul, and performed by a parade of miserable looking half naked acts, simulating sex that masqueraded as dance routines.

I feel sorry for the young ones these days. They don't know what great music is!

Or am I just old?

Quote Originally Posted by lakedistrictlad1 View Post
    Slightly off topic -

I sat in my local Barbers yesterday watching some music channel on t.v
    All I heard was over produced synthetic sounding monotony, that had no joy in it - no soul, and performed by a parade of miserable looking half naked acts, simulating sex that masqueraded as dance routines.

I feel sorry for the young ones these days. They don't know what great music is!

Or am I just old?
    No, you have good taste. LOL!

I am a millennium baby [[!) and I can confirm - from a young person's perspective - that today's music is AWFUL and CANNOT compare to that of past decades. [[Well, that's just me anyway!!)

I also read somewhere that a guy called Ne-Yo took over as head of A&R at the new "Motown" label that operates as a "subsidiary" of Universal Music. Technically his song "Let Me Love You [[Until You Learn To Love Yourself") was released under this so-called "Motown" label. I wouldn't call it a Motown song but technically it is!! ��

Here it is:

It was actually a #1 hit on the UK Chart.

[[I can't quite decide whether I like the track or not - sometimes I think it might be a decent bit of uptempo pop-soul but I don't like the dance-synthy-stuff and it suffered from overplay way back in, uh, 2012)
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 09-11-2016 at 10:25 PM.