[REMOVE ADS]

Darlene and theBlossoms tear it up!

Thanks Luke ! What was this show ?

Your Welcome Phil. Not sure what show is. Everyone please watch til end when Darlene brings it home!

Thanks Luke! Wow.....Darlene is awesome!

Looks like it might be from a short lived TV show "Playboy, After Dark", or a TV Special.Over the course of their career, The Blossoms probably made more money as session singers then most recording artists made from royalties.

Quote Originally Posted by motony View Post
    Looks like it might be from a short lived TV show "Playboy, After Dark", or a TV Special.Over the course of their career, The Blossoms probably made more money as session singers then most recording artists made from royalties.
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  21.1 KB
    What an understatement! That, my friend, has got to be an absolute certainty! Many artists received less than 5% of the royalties that should have been coming to them. The Blossoms were in the studio singing almost every weekday during the '60s and '70s.

I knew it would be that clip before I even opened the thread. It's a shame their studio version didn't have as straightforward an arrangement. I keep meaning to track down Darlene's autobiography. I can only guess that she saved little of that money - hence the house cleaning gig in the late 70s/early 80s.

Quote Originally Posted by smallworld View Post
    I knew it would be that clip before I even opened the thread. It's a shame their studio version didn't have as straightforward an arrangement. I keep meaning to track down Darlene's autobiography. I can only guess that she saved little of that money - hence the house cleaning gig in the late 70s/early 80s.
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  21.1 KB
    Being a well-connected, sought after back-up singer was a living, -NOT a way to get rich. Maybe she lost a LOT of money in the late '80s stockmarket crash [[like I did)? Maybe she had a crooked financial manager, as so many celebrities [[and normal people have had). Maybe she made some bad investments. The Average American has only $2,000 in the bank. That includes the billionaires! She would have been one of many millions of people who were unable or unwilling to save large amounts of money.

Darlene said Dionne Warwicke also helped her financially and I think she just got tired of doing backgrounds And then with encouragement she refused more background work and took plunge into being a solo.

I am not sure if this is around the same time period but Darlene was signed to Philadelphia International [[wonder where any of those recordings are) when Phil Spector bought out her contract. He didn't do much for her solo career and her contract might not have allowed her to do background work.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Notice Paul Mooney sitting just to the left of them?

Quote Originally Posted by Luciano View Post
    I am not sure if this is around the same time period but Darlene was signed to Philadelphia International [[wonder where any of those recordings are) when Phil Spector bought out her contract. He didn't do much for her solo career and her contract might not have allowed her to do background work.
    I think the Philly deal happened in the mid-70s. I don't know if Darlene ever got around to recording any thing. In her book, she wrote of how excited she was to be on the label. Then one day Gamble and Huff told her about a clause in her contract that allowed them to sell her contract to someone else. That someone else turned out to be Phil. Around this time, she and Phil made the record LORD, IF YOU'RE A WOMAN, a song Darlene hated.

That clip looks like 'Playboy After Dark'? All the ladies could sing. Darlene really did tear it up!
    I always liked Fanita in the group. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sah_2CGU080

Doesn't Jean King have a brief solo line in this performance?

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Doesn't Jean King have a brief solo line in this performance?
    Yes. She has the very high voice.

Darlene sang that song with the fire I usually hear more from her younger sister Edna. Nice
    to her showing she could bring it when she felt it. Of course I have to remember Phil
    Spector always kept his girls on a shorter leash than the HDH men did...Thanks for posting...