[REMOVE ADS]

Marvin Gaye: "You"

Years ago, someone told me that Gladys Knight & The Pips did the background vocals on this. It does sound like them. Does anyone know if this is the case?

I think it is indeed Gladys and the Pips. Gladys may have confirmed it in an interview.

I saw an interview where Gladys said it was them. I think she said they did background on some other songs. The one I know for sure is Shorty Long's "Mobile Lil, the Dancing Witch" on one of the Cellar Full of Motown albums. I think they may have cut that song also. You can hear Gladys at the end sing some lines.

Yes it does sound like the Pips to me.

This has always been one of my favorite Marvin songs. The backgrounds contributed mightily to this song - and I used to sing along with them. Now that you mention the Pips, it does sound like them. No wonder I always loved it!

I also love this song and thought I was hearing Gladys & the Pips in the background. I posted a similar question several years ago, and someone posted that it was another lesser known group providing these vocals. Well, if it were another group, they sure sounded like Gladys & the Pips.

It's possible that The Pips did the background vocals on this Marvin Gaye classic [[I've thought it was The Originals prior to seeing this post). It would be great if there was a website with all the personnel information on all of the Motown recordings [[from 1959-1972 at least).

Speaking of Marvin Gaye and the Pips, take a listen to this interesting mix:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VxqamauzIQ

Quote Originally Posted by mowest View Post

That's a brilliant mix. Often these don't work, but this certainly does. And as for You, It's definitely Gladys and the Pips doing the backgrounds.

RossHolloway Guest
    Was this just the case of Marvin singing over their backing track?

Quote Originally Posted by mowest View Post

This was posted on the main thread a few months ago. I have been playing it consistently since. I cant rate it highly enough. I bought the original GK & Pips version and much preferred that version but the way Marvin has been brought into it is absolutely ace.

Full marks from me.

honest man Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    This was posted on the main thread a few months ago. I have been playing it consistently since. I cant rate it highly enough. I bought the original GK & Pips version and much preferred that version but the way Marvin has been brought into it is absolutely ace.

Full marks from me.
    HERE HERE Mate you got me into these YT remixes check every week now love them ,thanks again John,

Usually Marvin used the Originals on his recordings. I don't hear the Pips on You

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    Usually Marvin used the Originals on his recordings. I don't hear the Pips on You
    It may well not be Gladys and the Pips alone on backgrounds. The first backing voices you hear may well be the Originals. But listen at 1:19 on this clip and you can actually hear Gladys and the guys.

Quote Originally Posted by soulwally View Post
    It may well not be Gladys and the Pips alone on backgrounds. The first backing voices you hear may well be the Originals. But listen at 1:19 on this clip and you can actually hear Gladys and the guys.
    Shit! That is Gladys Knight & the Pips. I don't care what anyone says. I her/them clearly. Thank you Soulwally!

Quote Originally Posted by RossHolloway View Post
    Was this just the case of Marvin singing over their backing track?
    That's right RossHolloway, although it sounds as if the track was slowed down a bit to sync with Marvin's pace.

The Originals were on Chained. I can clearly hear Gladys' voice singing "we meet in shadows, your friends must never know" over Marvin in "You" so I believe Gladys: that's her and the Pips on the background on "You" no doubt.