[REMOVE ADS]

Edward "Dwight" Fields - Manhattans RIP

So sad to wake up here in GB this morning to hear of the passing of Dwight Fields of The Manhattans and only 66, his father was Johnny Fields founder of Five Blind Boys of Alabama, Dwight was also cousin to Gerald Alston.

The last few years have been full of sad news for the group and fans, with the deaths of Blue Lovett, Sonny Bivens, Kenneth "Wally" Kelly and now Dwight Fields.

Rest in Peace Dwight, no one take away from us the great music this top group have brought us, condolences to the Family & Friends.

Hi!

Dwight was a member of Gerald's groups in the mid-60s, The New Imperials and on Sundays the Gospel Jubilees. Johnny Fields indeed was Gerald's uncle.

http://www.soulexpress.net/manhattans_part3.htm

Best regards
    Heikki

That's right Heikki, The Manhattan's a group that paid their dues and had great success, but sometimes never get the recognition by some they richly deserve. The same with Eddie Levert & his new solo album which has not got a full release, no one seems to show real interest?

I love both Motown and Philly, brought up with a Brother 11 years older than me who was into Motown so it was all I ever heard, then Philly was my true era, what great times.

I love the Manhattans, although my collection contains mostley music after Kiss and Say Goodbye. What a wonderful collective. There are groups like the Manhattans and Maze featuring Frankie Beverly who are unapologetically R&B outfits and their fans stop and listen when their songs come on the radio. They may have only flirted with pop success but that didn't make them alter their sound to chase money.

I respect outfits like that so much because many modern artists have blurred the lines of uniquity in the hope that they will cross over to several different formats. God bless them, but it doesn't make something that sounds interesting to my old ears. It's hard to believe that almost all of the Manhattans have passed, one seemingly after the next. My prayers are with his family and friends.

Hi!

Actually, lately Dwight was officially the Manhattans' road manager.

Best regards
    Heikki