[REMOVE ADS]

Diana Ross & The Supremes perform "Forever Came Today" live in Copenhagen [[1968)

Just my opinion, but I believe this is just the audio from the performance on The Ed Sullivan Show earlier in 1968 with part of the studio track dubbed in at the beginning and possibly applause at the end. Unfortunately, it's not anything rare or unusual, but just some deft trickery.

Quote Originally Posted by danman869 View Post
    Just my opinion, but I believe this is just the audio from the performance on The Ed Sullivan Show earlier in 1968 with part of the studio track dubbed in at the beginning and possibly applause at the end. Unfortunately, it's not anything rare or unusual, but just some deft trickery.

danman...I agree with you except for one thing....it's not that deft.

I love the Sullivan clip. God, what must it have been like to be Diane then? Already famous but about to enter the most laudatory phase of her career.

I've always liked this song. It has an unusual structure, and seems like it'd be really hard to sing. I think it was a little "highbrow" for the Top 40, it really wasn't something the kids could dance to, but I like HDH for going farther down the "Reflections" path with this one. I also really like the Jackson 5's deconstruction of it, where they did turn it into a bomb dance number!

Take a listen to the Commodores' version of the song, if you're not familiar with it. An excellent interpretion.

Quote Originally Posted by mowest View Post
    Take a listen to the Commodores' version of the song, if you're not familiar with it. An excellent interpretion.
    Wow, another totally different interpretation and another great performance! This song really as what they call "legs." It can be interpreted so many ways; the Supremes, Jackson 5 and Commodores are virtually 3 different songs. Thanks for pointing it out, Mowest!

I had that "Motown Superstars Sing Motown Superstars" album since it first came out. I think it was the second "vault" album ever from Motown, after "From the Vaults," which I think was the very first album of original album. I loved both, but liked "Vaults" better because it consisted of all songs I'd never heard before. And of course "Superstars" was all songs we knew, just by different singers. I did love Diane's "For Once in My LIfe" on that one.

Thanks again! I didn't play this album as much and totally forgotten the Coms ever did this one.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    Thanks again! I didn't play this album as much and totally forgotten the Coms ever did this one.
    My pleasure kenneth!

I have a newspaper concert review from March 1968 in Cleveland and it stated they debuted their latest single "Forever Came Today" in the show. Whether it was put in for a bit and then removed quickly after the single failed to crack the top 20 is unknown. It wouldn't surprise me. By March, "In And Out of Love" was no longer their latest single and the set list did need something new. I know from what people have said on here that they did "Some Things You Never Get Used To" in the set list for a bit in the summer of 1968 before being removed. "I'm Living In Shame" was in for a short time too before it was removed after Diana didn't like singing it.

I disagree that this the same performance as the Sullivan date. While Diana does make a similar flub with the beginning of the bridge, her delivery is quite different from the Sullivan appearance, somewhat brassier and less subdued. Also, the band's tempo is all over the place here and not as tight as Sullivan's house band was.
    Last edited by sansradio; 08-29-2016 at 11:05 PM.

A difficult song. I liked it but always felt the bridge was awkward and took away from the song...i dont like the background vocals on the bridge either.the lyrics are great 👍...Ross sounded commercial as ever but the production was somewhat over the top...even for the super Supremes....

[AQUOTE=kenneth;345503]I love the Sullivan clip. God, what must it have been like to be Diane then? Already famous but about to enter the most laudatory phase of her career.

I've always liked this song. It has an unusual structure, and seems like it'd be really hard to sing. I think it was a little "highbrow" for the Top 40, it really wasn't something the kids could dance to, but I like HDH for going farther down the "Reflections" path with this one. I also really like the Jackson 5's deconstruction of it, where they did turn it into a bomb dance number![/QUOTE]

Always love this song because it seemed like one of the most creative things to come out of Motown at that time. The only time I remember hearing the girls sing it live was on Ed's show. They looked absolutely stunning. Supremes Forever.

When I was watching this video for the first time, I thought it was actually a live version of this song, but when the vocals started, I realized it was just a mix with the vocals from the live version on the Ed Sullivan Show and the original intrumental. It's a shame that just as: "Some Things You Never Get Used To" and "I'm Living In Shame" we do not have any recording of that song being performed live in one of their concerts
    Last edited by Weslley Francisco; 09-16-2016 at 03:41 PM.

I found song to be a big bore with an awkward title , over dramatic Diana and muddled backgrounds IMO.