[REMOVE ADS]

Motown Revue from 1962 Conflicting Information

It seems as though every time I read any synopsis of the 1962 Motown Revues, I get conflicting dates, places, etc. etc. It seems as though every Motown book I own that discusses the Motown Revues has different information. From a historical perspective, this entire tour should be documented and preserved for posterity.

Several months ago there was a posting on the MF from a person who was interested in the Motown Revues and was planning to write a book on the history of them. I tried locating it with no success.

Can anyone lead me to this thread? Does anyone recall seeing it?

Thank you.

Woodward such a book exists, written by Curtis E. Woodson, he was the photograph of the tour. I have a copy of this book dedicated by him.
    Check those links : https://www.google.fr/?client=firefo...evue&gfe_rd=cr

It was discussed some [[a long) time ago, perhaps you can check the archives.

Quote Originally Posted by phil View Post
    Woodward such a book exists, written by Curtis E. Woodson, he was the photograph of the tour. I have a copy of this book dedicated by him.

Phil: Thank you for your response. I DO HAVE THIS BOOK ALSO DEDICATED BY MR. WOODSON [[who I have confirmed is deceased). But the main problem is I keep reading in other Motown books details of the reviews and they are in conflict with what Mr. Woodson published. These books are very scarce and hard to come by. I have a certificate of authenticity for Book #22. I guess the reason for the discrepancies is that hardly anyone knows of this book.

Woodward, I think I started the thread you are talkin about. I have ads for Motowntown Revue shows in 1961/62/63/64, etc. but didn't have details of the full itinerary ... folks sent in details of the show dates & locations [[seem to recall they never played any west coast venues at all back then + some shows down south were staged in small towns).
    No idea how to search for the thread now but seem to recall it being titled Motortown Reviews [[or Motortown Tours).
    At present I can lay my hands on ads for the 61 tour & the 63 tour but not the 62 one [[the acts changed though during the duration of each tour, as one act had to return to Detroit to record & another replaced them) ... 1961 tour ... Attachment 11654
    Last edited by jsmith; 08-28-2016 at 10:45 AM.

The 63 tour .... Name:  BaltRoyal63b.jpg
Views: 1120
Size:  93.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post
    Phil: Thank you for your response. I DO HAVE THIS BOOK ALSO DEDICATED BY MR. WOODSON [[who I have confirmed is deceased). But the main problem is I keep reading in other Motown books details of the reviews and they are in conflict with what Mr. Woodson published. .
    You're welcomed Woodward, I don't know about the other books that you mention [[?) but Curtis E. Woodson was there so I think we can trust him for the veracity of his book.

I found this link in the archives, it must be the first one on the subject but I think there must be more, I'll keep searching...

http://soulfuldetroit.com/archives/

Which are those other books ?
    Last edited by phil; 08-28-2016 at 12:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by phil View Post

I have this book. Great book. The omission of all of the Northern Cities that the Revue played to bothered me a bit.

Here is a tour schedule for the revue, even it omits cities like Toledo where they played the Toledo Sports Arena. Granted, some dates may have been added after these posters were printed and release. This is the main problem with coming up with accurate information for the tours.

Attachment 11656

They played the Toledo Sports Arena several times. Motown played in Toledo in general! hehehehehehehehe...........

Attachment 11657

I have a bunch of newspaper clippings [[50 or so) from The Motortown Revues, but the earliest one I could find was from April, 1963.

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmith View Post
    Woodward, I think I started the thread you are talkin about. I have ads for Motowntown Revue shows in 1961/62/63/64, etc. but didn't have details of the full itinerary ... folks sent in details of the show dates & locations [[seem to recall they never played any west coast venues at all back then + some shows down south were staged in small towns).
    No idea how to search for the thread now but seem to recall it being titled Motortown Reviews [[or Motortown Tours).
    At present I can lay my hands on ads for the 61 tour & the 63 tour but not the 62 one [[the acts changed though during the duration of each tour, as one act had to return to Detroit to record & another replaced them) ... 1961 tour ... Attachment 11654
    Do you know what acts were on the '64 tour? I've never seen a list of the artists.

This was taken on the 1964 Motortown Revue:

Attachment 11658

Here is an interesting site related to the Motortown Revue and posters:

http://www.jdhumphreys.com/#!an-invi...he-nation/cup4

Name:  Apr 1964 - Cincinatti.jpg
Views: 849
Size:  6.3 KB

From Apr 1964, Cincinnati

Name:  Oct 1964 - Asbury Park.jpg
Views: 1340
Size:  10.8 KB

From Oct 1964, Asbury Park [[with The Contours, The Spinners and Kim Weston added to the revue.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    This was taken on the 1964 Motortown Revue:

Attachment 11658
    Marv2......I would swear that this picture was taken in London...it's my home town so I recognise the buildings but for those who dont live here....you can see London buses and that car is driving on the left side of the road..which is how we drive in the UK.

Here is an interesting site related to the Motortown Revue and posters:

http://www.jdhumphreys.com/#!an-invi...he-nation/cup4
    BINGO! That is the one that I was looking for. I had lost track of it and believe it or not, I usually have difficulty using the search option to find articles that appeared on the MF previously. It is too complex and complicated.

THANK YOU THANK YOU.

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    Marv2......I would swear that this picture was taken in London...it's my home town so I recognise the buildings but for those who dont live here....you can see London buses and that car is driving on the left side of the road..which is how we drive in the UK.

Thanks. It is from as visit to the UK in 1964.

Phil: What triggered this entire thread that I initiated was that in Ian Phillips book Diana Ross: Reflections, he states, "The Motortown Revue commenced on 2 November 1962 at the Franklin Theatre in Massachusetts and was the subject of rave reviews."

The original tour itinerary in Mr. Woodson's book indicated that it was opening on 11/2/1962 in Boston, Mass. at the Boston Arena. See page 9 of his book. On page 28 is a photo of a hand painted sign on the side of the Howard Theater for OPENING NIGHT 10/26/1962.

It seems as though every time I see a mention in any Motown-related singers book that there are discrepancies as to cities, dates, etc. I hope some day Mr. Humphreys can set the facts straight with accurate information. I even sent in a letter to the editor about two weeks prior to 10/26/1962 begging them to do a story to commemorate the 50th Anniversary of the Motortown Revues. Regretfully, I did not even get the courtesy of a response. Too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post
    BINGO! That is the one that I was looking for. I had lost track of it and believe it or not, I usually have difficulty using the search option to find articles that appeared on the MF previously. It is too complex and complicated.

THANK YOU THANK YOU.

You are most welcome, welcome! LOL!

Woodward, from what you say, I'm assuming you have a copy of the Curtis Woodson book "Memories Of The 1962 Motown Revue" with the list of dates and venues of the itinerary. This listing however is incomplete.

In the book "Dancing In The Street, Confessions of A Motown Diva" by Martha Reeves and Mark Bego, a complete chapter is devoted to the 1962 Motown Revue tour, and what is interesting and relevant to your post in this thread is that she details lots of additional dates and venues to those given by Mr Woodson, so here they are:

Friday, 26 October - The Howard Theatre, Washington DC [[Martha describes this as "the first stop on the tour"), which ties in with your comment re the photo on page 28 of his book.

As per Mr Woodson's listing, the next date is given as Friday, 2 November at the Franklin Theatre in Boston, MASS. There is nothing listed for the dates in-between and since she includes days off, I'm therefore guessing that the Washington date was a stand alone one. In relation to that date, Martha mentions having been invited along with the other Vandellas by Marvin Gaye to his parents' home in Washington for a meal, in recognition of the back-up work they had done on some of his recent songs.

She also lists the following additional Revue Tour dates and locations:

Tuesday, 13 November at the State Fair Grounds, New Orleans, LA.
    Thursday, 15 November at the Memorial Auditorium, Spartanburg, SC.
    Sunday, 18 November at the Capitol Arena, Washington DC.
    Monday, 19 November - day off,
    Wednesday, 21 November at The Palms, Bradenton, FLA [[this is in addition to the appearance at The Palladium, Tampa FLA also listed for that date and recorded by Curtis Woodson),
    Monday, 26 November at a Skating Rink, Orlando, FLA.
    Tuesday, 27 November at The Field House, Tallahassie, FLA.
    Wednesday, 28 November, Cheraw, SC [[no venue given),
    Thursday, 29 November at Long High School Gymnatorium, Charlotte, NC.
    Friday, 30 November at New Park Centre, Louisville, KY.

Sunday, 2 December at the City Auditorium, Nashville, TENN.
    Monday, 3 December at the Fairground Coliseum, Pensacola, FLA.
    Tuesday, 4 December - day off,
    Wednesday, 5 December at The Mosque Auditorium, Richmond, VA.
    Thursday, 6 December - day off,

Finally, following the stint at The Apollo Theatre, New York City, between Friday, 7 December and Thursday, 16 December, is what she confirms as being the "last date on the tour"; a performance on Friday, 17 December [[no venue given) in Pittsburgh, PA.

Sadly, Martha gives very little detail given regarding any of the other Motown Revues other than to say that they played at the Apollo Theatre in New York twice in 1963, once as part of that package.
    Last edited by motownjohnny; 08-29-2016 at 07:59 AM.

MotownJohnny, that tour itinerary either leaves out some shows or maybe the Revue played some one off dates that were not considered a part of the tour. As you can see from the poster above, they played the Toledo Sports Arena on November 5, the itinerary begins with a November 13th date.

MotownJohnny, that tour itinerary either leaves out some shows or maybe the Revue played some one off dates that were not considered a part of the tour. As you can see from the poster above, they played the Toledo Sports Arena on November 5, the itinerary begins with a November 13th date.
    Hi Marv. Sorry I mustn't have made it clear in my posting, so to clarify, the list I provided above is of additional dates to those included on page 9 of Curtis Woodson's photographic journal, as referenced and indicated by Woodward in his earlier post [[no. 18) in this thread.

So like I said, according to Martha Reeves, the first revue date for the 1962 tour is the one on Friday, 26 October at The Howard Theatre, in Washington DC. There are approximately another 20 dates mentioned in both Mr. Woodson's and Martha Reeves' books, so what I provided in my earlier posting are the dates he did not mention, but which Martha did in her book. So the full tour is therefore a combination dates from both those sources.

Regarding the poster you provided, I'm not sure it relates to the 1962 Revue, which would explain why neither Martha Reeves nor Curtis Woodson mention a show being held in Toledo, OH on 5 November. Indeed, both confirm that the show on Monday, 5 November in 1962 was held in Raleigh, North Carolina at the City Auditorium. On Sunday, 4 November the revue appeared at the Memorial Auditorium in Buffalo, NY while on Tuesday, 6 November they appeared at the County Hall in Charleston, SC.

Neither give a date for the 1962 Review appearing at any time in Toledo, OH, which is why I think the poster you submitted relates to a different Revue in another year.

Hope this all makes sense!

Quote Originally Posted by motownjohnny View Post
    Hi Marv. Sorry I mustn't have made it clear in my posting, so to clarify, the list I provided above is of additional dates to those included on page 9 of Curtis Woodson's photographic journal, as referenced and indicated by Woodward in his earlier post [[no. 18) in this thread.

So like I said, according to Martha Reeves, the first revue date for the 1962 tour is the one on Friday, 26 October at The Howard Theatre, in Washington DC. There are approximately another 20 dates mentioned in both Mr. Woodson's and Martha Reeves' books, so what I provided in my earlier posting are the dates he did not mention, but which Martha did in her book. So the full tour is therefore a combination dates from both those sources.

Regarding the poster you provided, I'm not sure it relates to the 1962 Revue, which would explain why neither Martha Reeves nor Curtis Woodson mention a show being held in Toledo, OH on 5 November. Indeed, both confirm that the show on Monday, 5 November in 1962 was held in Raleigh, North Carolina at the City Auditorium. On Sunday, 4 November the revue appeared at the Memorial Auditorium in Buffalo, NY while on Tuesday, 6 November they appeared at the County Hall in Charleston, SC.

Neither give a date for the 1962 Review appearing at any time in Toledo, OH, which is why I think the poster you submitted relates to a different Revue in another year.

Hope this all makes sense!
    It makes sense. I know they were in Toledo all the time. They use to do their test runs there as well as just hang out.

Quote Originally Posted by motownjohnny View Post

Looking at the songs listed on the Nov. 5 Toledo poster [[FINGERTIPS, HEAT WAVE, MICKEY'S MONKEY), the Toledo date is most likely from the 1963 edition of the revue.

Well, I know for a fact that Nov. 1962 the Revue was at the Harlem Square Club in Miami as that is when I met Mary Wells and most of the artists.Martha was Mary Wells room mate at the Hotel, Sir Johns. It was close to Thanksgiving.

Love this...i remember when my aunt went the first one in DC at the Howard Theatre..she gave me all the details. Such a historical event. That tour should be inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame....like yesterday....

Quote Originally Posted by loveblind View Post
    Love this...i remember when my aunt went the first one in DC at the Howard Theatre..she gave me all the details. Such a historical event. That tour should be inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame....like yesterday....
    Looking back now, it really was a historical event.

Quote Originally Posted by motony View Post
    Well, I know for a fact that Nov. 1962 the Revue was at the Harlem Square Club in Miami as that is when I met Mary Wells and most of the artists.Martha was Mary Wells room mate at the Hotel, Sir Johns. It was close to Thanksgiving.
    motony, as I said earlier in my reply to Marv2, the dates I've mentioned in post no. 20 on this thread are additional to those given by Curtis Woodson in his Photographic Journal - "Memories of the 1962 Motown Revue". They are therefore not intended to be read as being the full list of dates and venues.

The reference you make to the revue appearing at the Harlem Square Club in Miami FLA is confirmed by Mr Woodson, as being on Sunday, 25 November, which is why I didn't mention it, - it's already included in his list of venues.

As discussed in some early posts in this thread [[nos. 1 to 7), the dates and venues I have listed are in addition to those stated by Mr Woodson in an attempt to fill in some of the gaps mentioned and should therefore be read in conjunction with those listed on page 9 of his publication, rather than being see as separate to it.
    Last edited by motownjohnny; 08-31-2016 at 10:53 AM.