[REMOVE ADS]

Three different sub forums here - why not use them properly?

Soulful Detroit
    talk of Detroit music scene

Motown
    self explanatory

Clubhouse
    talk of any other music

Quote Originally Posted by imnokid View Post
    Soulful Detroit
    talk of Detroit music scene
    The main forum page was by members expanded to include the world music scene and
    conditions that surround it YEARS ago, way back before our server change...

Motown
    self explanatory

I have always agreed with this but there are people who post there who believe in putting
    everything in the Motown section because they believe EVERYONE goes there primarily
    if not always. I let folks wear their wigs however they want, off to the side or pulled down over the ears tight...

Clubhouse
    talk of any other music
    The clubhouse protocol is written out on the opening page but over the years
    like the main page has expanded to include just about anything anyone wants to bring up...
    Recently a lot of politics and social issues because that's the world we live in so much more
    today.

Now, my question is: Why did you feel the need to post this admonishment in the first
    place? We've lost so many artists as well as members here over the last few years, I'm
    surprised SDF still gets traffic. Very few gems like rare artist footage show up much these
    days...

Splanky. Funny that you read this as an admonishment. I asked a very serious question. I used to be very active on here and found it too frustrating. I rarely go to the Motown section, since it is mostly about the Supremes, Martha, and Mary, and I have no interest in them. The main Souful Detroit section used to talk about all the little labels, the obscure artists, studios, and everything that is covered in the webisodes. Here are some of the threads now-Carly Simon, Sharon Jones, Denise LaSalle, Mick Jagger, Dionne Warwick...hardly Soulful Detroit. But it's cool, cause as I said I rarely stop by anymore. Use the site as you will since the moderators have allowed this to happen. Bye....

I rarely visit the Clubhouse myself, but due to a lecture I received very early in the game, my interpretation of the three threads was that the Soulful Forum was pretty much open to any kind of music that was not Motown and that it did not have to necessarily even be soul; and that the Clubhouse was a hodgepodge of anything anybody wanted to talk about, leaving the Motown thread of course to be just that.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    I rarely visit the Clubhouse myself, but due to a lecture I received very early in the game, my interpretation of the three threads was that the Soulful Forum was pretty much open to any kind of music that was not Motown and that it did not have to necessarily even be soul; and that the Clubhouse was a hodgepodge of anything anybody wanted to talk about, leaving the Motown thread of course to be just that.
    Well, it seems imnokid has more strict ideas on what type of things should be discussed.

My personal view is that the Motown section should be about anything related to Motown. That should be a given. If you bring up, say, Thomas Chong of Cheech & Chong, he would qualify because of his time in Bobby Taylor & The Vancouvers.

I rarely visit that section because I know it's full of Supremes/Mary Wilson/Diana Ross threads.

Soulful Detroit, IMO, would obviously be about the Detroit music scene, but Ralph has stated that many types of music could be discussed there, probably because just discussing Detroit is so limiting. If it's general soul music, or the occasional other music, why the heck not? There's a huge world of [[soul) music out there to limit yourself to just one thing. I realize that some people like that exclusivity, though. But, I see nothing wrong with talking about Mick Jagger. He's been closer to soul music than a lot of so-called soul artists are.

The Clubhouse should be about pretty much anything, although I see that the mods have outlined what is acceptable, although politics and such is being discussed. That's why it's called a clubhouse! IMO, I think it's nice that Ralph allows the forum the space to discuss such things, since some topics have the potential to get mighty heated.

For the life of me, I do not understand why some people are so rigid in their beliefs on how the forum should run.
    Last edited by soulster; 08-19-2016 at 11:27 PM.

forums

Quote Originally Posted by imnokid View Post
    Splanky. Funny that you read this as an admonishment. I asked a very serious question. I used to be very active on here and found it too frustrating. I rarely go to the Motown section, since it is mostly about the Supremes, Martha, and Mary, and I have no interest in them. The main Souful Detroit section used to talk about all the little labels, the obscure artists, studios, and everything that is covered in the webisodes. Here are some of the threads now-Carly Simon, Sharon Jones, Denise LaSalle, Mick Jagger, Dionne Warwick...hardly Soulful Detroit. But it's cool, cause as I said I rarely stop by anymore. Use the site as you will since the moderators have allowed this to happen. Bye....
    Don't forget Shirley Bassey

In all honesty, I'm a little surprised to read this. Soulster is correct. The sub forums are self explanatory. However, I have no problem if, from time to time, subjects appear on threads designated for a different subject. Look guys, its not rocket science. It is a music forum.

Imnokid,
    Sorry to learn this. I felt that the Motown Forum was rather diverse lately. I understand the Supremes/Diana Ross extravaganzas got out of hand at times, but I have done my best to keep it under control.

honest man Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ralpht View Post
    Imnokid,
    Sorry to learn this. I felt that the Motown Forum was rather diverse lately. I understand the Supremes/Diana Ross extravaganzas got out of hand at times, but I have done my best to keep it under control.
    Ralph you do a wonderful job on here,i read 3 forums most days,something new most days,cheers.

Thank you H Man.

Sometimes the original intent of something expands, changes and grows. McDonalds starting out selling a hamburger. Check out their menu today.

Soulful Detroit has also expanded its menu and I like the way it has evolved. It is a nice place to discuss music, share our knowledge and obtain new information about music. It is also a nice place to politely discuss current events in the clubhouse with our on line friends. What's so wrong with that?

Valid point, Mil.

I just wish there were more technically-oriented people here.

I'm inclined to believe that SDF should go back to talking about SITSOM and related topics only [[sarcasm).

I really don't mind off topic items too much. I have at times posted such items in the Detroit forum that maybe demanded a wider audience that, say The Clubhouse would allow the topic to have, and I have no problem if other people to the same thing. I do agree with Soulster though. I'm not a technical person....get me beyond an Echoplex and I can get lost very easily.....but the "how-to" threads were very informative.

Now, I'll wait patiently for someone to ask "What's SITSOM?" [[More sarcasm)

Quote Originally Posted by Doug-Morgan View Post
    I'm inclined to believe that SDF should go back to talking about SITSOM and related topics only [[sarcasm).

I really don't mind off topic items too much. I have at times posted such items in the Detroit forum that maybe demanded a wider audience that, say The Clubhouse would allow the topic to have, and I have no problem if other people to the same thing. I do agree with Soulster though. I'm not a technical person....get me beyond an Echoplex and I can get lost very easily.....but the "how-to" threads were very informative.

Is that the movie about the Funk Brothers? [[sarcasm!)

Well played, my good man.

When I check in here what I generally do is look at the "New posts" option under the "SoulfulDetroit Forums" option and so whatever Forum anything has been posted in doesn't have any relevance.

As to Sitsom ... isn't that a ghost-town in Nevada [[or possibly Arizona)?

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by Doug-Morgan View Post
    Yeah, what is it? Serious!

Quote Originally Posted by roger View Post
    When I check in here what I generally do is look at the "New posts" option under the "SoulfulDetroit Forums" option and so whatever Forum anything has been posted in doesn't have any relevance.
    That's exactly what I do. I open up the new posts tab and then right-click on what I think I may be interested in and that opens up a new tab in the browser. I generally don't even notice what forum it came from. That is why it annoys me when people post the same post in all three forums.

BTW, right now there is a "Remember When" thread going on in the clubhouse. It has morphed into a mixture of reminiscing about our individual pasts and a kind of getting to know each other thread. Problem is, there's only like three or four of us participating. We'd like to see more people on it. But, if you all won't go into the clubhouse...

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    Yeah, what is it? Serious!
    I don't know either.

I sometimes view acronyms as a vehicle to enable someone to say "Oh, don't you know that?". My answer is "I don't. How would I?"

A case of acronym acrimony.

SITSOM and Marc Taylor's Marvellettes book were very welcome latter day tributes to
    the music era many of us were lucky enough to grow up with. I try to live in the present
    as much as possible but I do admit being tickled by the comments of young people on youtube
    under videos of artists of the 60's 70's even 80's saying things like " I wasn't even born
    and I like this stuff!"...
    BTW, soulster, I hear you on the 3 forum thing...I've noticed the new cut and paste promos...

Again: what the hell is "SITSOM"???

Not only do I not know what that is supposed to stand for, but one should not assume that, in a public forum with a diverse membership, everyone just automatically knows what it is.

Again: what the hell is "SITSOM"???
    Truthfully, I didn't know either, but from reading the thread, I took a wild guess, googled my guess and it is STANDING IN THE SHADOWS OF MOTOWN.

Guess I should have known, but I am not good with acronyms.

http://www.standingintheshadowsofmotown.com/
    Last edited by milven; 08-22-2016 at 12:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    Truthfully, I didn't know either, but from reading the thread, I took a wild guess, googled my guess and it is STANDING IN THE SHADOWS OF MOTOWN.

Guess I should have known, but I am not good with acronyms.

http://www.standingintheshadowsofmotown.com/
    The proper use of acronyms is that the name should spelled out in full the first time, then use the acronym afterward. That way, there is a record of what it stands for somewhere in the text or course of a discussion.
    Last edited by soulster; 08-22-2016 at 07:42 PM.

the proper use of acronyms is that the name should spelled out in full the first time, than use the acronym afterward. That way, there is a record of what it stands for somewhere in the text or course of a discussion.
    i agree 1000000 percent on the proper use of acronyms. Thank you.