[REMOVE ADS]

The isley brothers

Few groups in music history have had a better run than the isleys, what is your favorite isley period...is it the early days-shout-twist an shout-the drag-the snake-twistin with linda-time after time? Or the motown period-this old heart of mine-there's no love left-got to have you back-who could ever doubt my love? Or the return to tneck-it's your thing-pop that thing-lay lady lay-who's that lady-fight the power-get into something-spill the wine-the real deal...well it doesn't matter when you got on because you never get off of this runaway train of hits that is...the isley brothers.

Oh this is a rough one because I liked several of their periods, but if I had to pick just one it would be the 1973-78 beginning with the "3+3" album and ending with "Groove With You" in '78.

Yeah, their run with T-Neck in the '70s was phenomenal. I love Love LOVE "Fight The Power", "Living In The Light", "Summer Breeze", and all those singles that were part one on side A and part two on side B.

The run from 1969-1980 is the best era, and it really got cookin' starting in 1973 when they changed distribution to CBS. I even like the "Inside You" album. After that, I like the three Isley-Jasper Isley albums from the mid-80s.

This might shock a few of you, but I have no use for their Motown era, and I certainly have no use for the older cats after the younger ones left.

Favorite albums:
    It's Our Thing
    Brother, Brother, Brother
    Live It Up
    Fight The Power
    Harvest For the World
    Go For Your Guns
    Showdown
    Go All The Way
    Inside You
    Broadway's Closer To Sunset Blvd.
    Caravan Of Love

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    Yeah, their run with T-Neck in the '70s was phenomenal. I love Love LOVE "Fight The Power", "Living In The Light", "Summer Breeze", and all those singles that were part one on side A and part two on side B.
    Ummmm...the name of the song is "Livin' In The Life". That song is a stone jam! They used to play it on The Gong Show, too!

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    Ummmm...the name of the song is "Livin' In The Life". That song is a stone jam! They used to play it on The Gong Show, too!
    Yep. I was typing while watching TV and didn't pay close enough attention. The Isley Brothers were so unique. I think they are easily one of the most underrated outfits of the '70s even though their output stands strong with anybody else's, both lyrically and instrumentally. I love the line "if you think it's easy it's only 'cause you ain't me and I ain't you. Check out the difference between the two". For some reason that stands up strong with me 40 years after I heard the song.

I love all thier work and have alot of it,as for a favorite well it comes from the motown days[there's no love left-a love gone bad is a heartbreaking thing,it's like a chilling cold in the mist of spring]a killer.

A special favorite of mine.................

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    A special favorite of mine.................

Loved that one. And I really loved "Voyage To Atlantis". Ronald put "Voyage To Atlantis" in the same stratosphere as Phillip Bailey on "Reasons", Johnny Wilder, Jr. on "Always And Forever", and Smokey on more songs than I can count.

Loved that one.
    Their cover is one of my favorites!

Nobody has mentioned Ernie, who [[in my opinion) is one of the best lead guitarists in soul music. He was a huge part of their sound in the '70s. That boy used to kill that thing.

Chris jasper has continued the isley brothers/isley-jasper-isley sound

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    The run from 1969-1980 is the best era, and it really got cookin' starting in 1973 when they changed distribution to CBS. I even like the "Inside You" album. After that, I like the three Isley-Jasper Isley albums from the mid-80s.

This might shock a few of you, but I have no use for their Motown era, and I certainly have no use for the older cats after the younger ones left.

Favorite albums:
    It's Our Thing
    Brother, Brother, Brother
    Live It Up
    Fight The Power
    Harvest For the World
    Go For Your Guns
    Showdown
    Go All The Way
    Inside You
    Broadway's Closer To Sunset Blvd.
    Caravan Of Love
    When Chris Jasper left The Isley Brothers and formed Isley-Jasper-Isley, the Isley Brothers never again wrote or played their own music. That is because brother-in-law Chris Jasper was the composer behind all of those Isley Brothers and Isley-Jasper-Isley hits. If you want to know where the "Isley Brothers" sound went, just visit Chris's website where you can hear his solo music following the IJI breakup to present... more than 12 solo albums with all great music, including 4 gospel albums! And his new CD will be released this September...it is spectacular! So if you are missing that classic Isley Brothers/Isley-Jasper-Isley sound, please follow Chris Jasper and please spread the word! Connect with Chris on Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter and on his website where you will find all the links: http://www.ChrisJasper.com

Quote Originally Posted by Margie View Post
    When Chris Jasper left The Isley Brothers and formed Isley-Jasper-Isley, the Isley Brothers never again wrote or played their own music. That is because brother-in-law Chris Jasper was the composer behind all of those Isley Brothers and Isley-Jasper-Isley hits. If you want to know where the "Isley Brothers" sound went, just visit Chris's website where you can hear his solo music following the IJI breakup to present... more than 12 solo albums with all great music, including 4 gospel albums! And his new CD will be released this September...it is spectacular! So if you are missing that classic Isley Brothers/Isley-Jasper-Isley sound, please follow Chris Jasper and please spread the word! Connect with Chris on Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter and on his website where you will find all the links: http://www.ChrisJasper.com
    Yeah, you posted this three times now. It's starting to look like spam. We don't like spam.

Nobody has mentioned Ernie, who [[in my opinion) is one of the best lead guitarists in soul music. He was a huge part of their sound in the '70s. That boy used to kill that thing.
    He was second behind Jimi Hendrix if you ask me!

It was really hard to pick just one period as my favorite for the Isley Brothers. Similar to the Temptations because they made great music throughout their careers. I loved "Twist & Shout" from 1962 as I did, "This Old Heart of Mine" and "I Guess I'll Always Love You" from '66.

My favourite Isley's period is during their Motown days but their Warpath is one of my most played ever tracks. However if I had to pick one track from their catalogue, it would have to be one that holds the most memories for me.

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    My favourite Isley's period is during their Motown days but their Warpath is one of my most played ever tracks. However if I had to pick one track from their catalogue, it would have to be one that holds the most memories for me.

That's the flip of Twist and Shout, which I had on UK Stateside. Love the Tex-Mex flavour. And I also had Warpath on Stateside, which I think must have been recorded just after their Motown period ended, before the It's Your Thing et al run.

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 477
Size:  21.1 KB
    Normally, I like older more than newer. But, in the Isley Brothers' case, I like their Motown period best, then Atlantic.

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
Views: 477
    Normally, I like older more than newer. But, in the Isley Brothers' case, I like their Motown period best, then Atlantic.
    Of course I love their Motown stuff. Warpath came after the end of the period, and I suppose this classic soul-drenched ballad was the bookend at the other side...

...we all know their huge 70's hit ...That Lady ...but may not have heard its 60's inspiration...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRinH5TbYVU

Views: 416
    I like their 1964 version much better than the '70s version.

What's Isley Brothers CD [[s) [[or maybe download) contain the best quality and quantity of their pre-Motown material please? I'd like it to include this one which is rather fun...

I'm like most of you; IB & IJI were so prolific, that it's near impossible to put your finger on one period! As kids, we called them The Iley [[no "s") Bruthers, for our love for all things Isley!!