[REMOVE ADS]

Alternate Versions of The Supremes' SINGLES

I am trying to assemble a complete listing of alternate versions of singles issued by The Supremes [[DMF/C) that have become available on CDs in recent years. By "alternate versions," I mean other versions [[takes) made in the studion at the time of recording as opposed to remixes that were made in later years.

Below is my list so far [[song title and CD in which alternate version exists). What have I overlooked?

Where Did Our Love Go: NONE
    Baby Love: WDOLG Expanded Edition
    Come See About Me: NONE
    Stop! In the Name of Love: 2000 Box Set
    Back in My Arms Again: Lost and Found
    Nothing But Heartaches: NONE
    I Hear a Symphony: Japan Quad
    My World Is Empty Without You: NONE
    Love is Like and itching In my Heart: Extended Version in 2001 Anthology
    You Can't Hurry Love: Lost and Found
    You Keep Me Hanging On: Japan Quad
    Love Is Here and Now You're Gone: Japan Quad
    The Happening: 2000 Box Set
    Reflections: NONE
    In and Out of Love: NONE
    Forever Came Today: NONE
    Some things You Never Get Used To: NONE
    Love Child: Lost and Found
    I'm Living in Shame: Lost and Found
    The Composer: NONE
    No Matter What Sign You Are: 2000 Box Set
    Someday We'll Be Together: Lost and Found
    Last edited by longtimefan; 01-04-2011 at 10:32 PM.

smark21 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
    I am trying to assemble a complete listing of alternate versions of singles issued by The Supremes that have become available on CDs in recent years. By "alternate versions," I mean other versions [[takes) made in the studion at the time of recording as opposed to remixes that were made in later years.

Below is my list so far [[song title and CD in which alternate version exists). What have I overlooked?
    The singles by the 70's Supremes.

Thanks, smark. I have clarified my post. In this case I am interested in the tracks up to and including "Someday...."

wasnt there alternative vocals of tracks like Forever on the Japanese quad greatest hits ?

Yes, nomis, you are correct. I have indicated "Japan Quad" as the source for some alternate tracks [[above). I re-listened and to my ear, "Forever Came Today" is not an alternate vocal on this Japanese release. Thanks for the heads-up!!

There is also an extended version of 'Reflections', without a fade ending on [[I think) the Motown Box collection.

I don't think the version of NO MATTER WHAT SIGN YOU ARE on the boxed set is an alternate version. It is an alternate mix. But the vocal take is the same.

Also, on the Japanese Quad album there is an alternate version of LOVE IS HERE AND NOW YOU'RE GONE which differs from the hit version, as well as the version on the boxed set. On the Japanese quad version, both the vocal and speeches are different. Also you can hear Diana say something after the first verse.

Great project! Keep us up to date. Thx

RossHolloway Guest
    Isn't there an alternative version of Reflections that contains an extra verse/line? I think it's off of their #1 Hits CD...if I remember correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by RossHolloway View Post
    Isn't there an alternative version of Reflections that contains an extra verse/line? I think it's off of their #1 Hits CD...if I remember correctly.
    I seem to remember this as well. I'm not near my music so I can't be sure of what cd the alternate Reflections is on.

Longtimefan

The Supremes releases go back much further and I was expecting your list to start off with Buttered Popcorn, then Your Heart Belongs To Me.....

There are lots of "alternatives" - too many for me to list now because I am using a French keyboard at present and that takes me time to manipulate. Are you only interested in extra vocals over and above what was contained on the originally released US stock copy 45's and not the DJ versions? If you are, bear in mind that some extra vocals are not on a Motown release....as in Love Child on Almighty.

It will be interesting to see which SDF posters contribute....because we will discover who plays and knows their music....and who doesn't.

Uh oh, I didn't know posting here would require passing a test.

Anyway, I really was surprised by the extra lyrics in the Almighty Remix of "Love Child" that was released a few years ago. I have grown to love that version and those extra lyrics very much.

I also enjoy the Motown Karaoke series of discs that were released. Listening to just the music and backgrounds [[although not all songs contain all the background work) is very enlightening and it displays what masters of music everyone at Motown was. The talent in that studio during the 60's is virtually unsurpassed to this very day.

Just my humble opinion.

Penny

Although no vocals were recorded, there is an alternate instrumental track for "In And Out Of Love" that was originally recorded by the Funk Brothers in Detroit in March, 1967. It was cut the same day as "The Happening," and "Reflections." That track was not used for the single, instead HDH re-recorded the track in LA and used that for the single.

Bradsupremes, have you heard the alternate track? If so, what's your opinion of it vs. the released version? Thanks.

I've never heard the original Funk Brothers instrumental, but if you look in the Complete Motown Singles Vol. 7 - 1967, they give a small insight on it. I can't understand why HDH would re-record the track in LA, but it has been stated that there is an original instrumental track recorded by the Funk Brothers that wasn't used.

Brad

I agree that something is not adding up here. Nevertheless, the mix of In and Out of Love on the Reflections album [[STML 11073) is not the same as on the UK compilation [[STML 11074) album. In March 67, the song title was not finalised and that might be a factor.

Penny

I am sorry if you felt that I was suggesting a test was required to post. SDF has never been like that and hopefully never will be. When David Meikle set up this site some 10 years ago, it was intended to further the interests of Detroit music fans worldwide but there has never been any intention that posters needed to pass a test.

olamaebarto Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Penny View Post
    Uh oh, I didn't know posting here would require passing a test.

Well you ARE on probation, dear. I'd keep my nose clean if I were you.

Quote Originally Posted by olamaebarto View Post
    Well you ARE on probation, dear. I'd keep my nose clean if I were you.
    Olamaebarto, I will try very hard to keep my nose clean! Thank you for the advice.

Penny

I guess everybody's gone to the party....oh well, I did TRY to contribute to a Supremes thread

John, it's all been said before...

Extended version of "Everything Is Good About You" - from the 2000 box set, has an additional 45 seconds of the song. I REALLY love this song!

Reflections on the Number 1's is 17 seconds longer than the original single [[3:19 as compared to 2:52), and Mary & Flo sing "All in vain, reflections remain" in the interlude that is instrumental on the single. The ending is quite different as well - extended, and no fade.

Yeah, I know "Everything Is Good About You" 's cheating a little bit... but it was the B side of a single!

The stereo version of "Love Is Like An Itching In My Heart" on this double CD of Supremes A Go Go & Love Child is substantially different from all the other versions I have; very different backing instrumentation. The brass is much more prominent, and the back-up vocals seem pretty beefed up. The vibes are much more subtle and are shifted to the left channel rather than the right.

ExGuyParis, I think this is the stereo version as found on the original A Go Go album. I always call it the version "with the kazoo's", cause what is supposedly a horn section sounds more like a few people blowing their lips on tissue paper...

Oh..did the party end early or did you guys decide to leave early?

Robbert......that kazoo sound can also be described as playing a jew's harp....not something you and I might have come across in our time.

ExguyParis - "playing a jew's harp" is not a term that you will find in the language dictionaries either! Look it up on the internetunder Urban dictionary!
    Last edited by theboyfromxtown; 01-12-2011 at 04:43 PM.

"Forever Came Today" on the Japanese Quad album has different background vocals...I assume they were the demo background vocals used.

Thanks brad I thought the Quad version of Forever was different..I suspect theres hundreds of alternate vocals for all the singles judging by what was available for Meet The Supremes logic would suggest that many mixes were put together in the studio to get that elusive Supremes polish...Hip o said there wasnt many unreleased tracks left in the vault but nobody said anything about there being a lack of alternate versions...I want to hear Flo on the original "In and Out Of Love"..I wonder if that mix still exists?

I would love to hear Mary and Florence's track on "In And Out Of Love," but the problem is that both their track and the Andantes' track were mixed together.

I would love to hear a remixed version of "In And Out Of Love" with the original Funk Brothers track with the Supremes' vocals mixed onto it.

so would I brad.."In and Out Of Love" is something of a lost gem in public awareness..Diana sings it with her all..she literally bites into the verses..its a complicated composition..thats why she messed up the final bridge a couple of times when she sang it live..

Sometimes I find "In and Out Of Love" uncomfortable to listen to-maybe as nomis said, it is a complicated composition.

Really detmotownguy ? to me Dianas vocal is so alive..one of the closest singing to Judy Garlands 60s period..it has the same pure joy and essence that Judy had..whenever i hear it it makes me snap my fingers and sing along..pure bliss for me

"In And Out Of Love" as well as "I'm Livin' In Shame" are two songs that people forget were top 10 hits for the group, especially the latter one. Both tunes are very much forgotten hits when it comes to the oldies radio these days.

Love Child

The version of Love Child on the Motown Original Artist Karaoke Volume 9 delays and extends the fade a fair bit compared to the single version... with Diana riffing "Take a look, take a look, take a look at me..." before the fade.

Not as radically different as the additional verse from Lost & Found... but still fun!

There are at least 2versions of Living In Shame that was released on a US stock copy of the 45. One had a much longer vocal fade....the longer one has Diana singing Mama Mama..miss you