[REMOVE ADS]

Jean carn at motown

Maybe this has been discussed before,so just asking,how long did jean stay at motown and how many songs did she release?

I have not the faintest idea who she is. I never ever heard her name mentioned. I went to the bible, www.dftmc.info and she is not included in their data base.

Jean was there for a very short time in the 80s. They released at least one album on her I believe.

Woodward, Jean Carn is a very popular R&B singer out of Philadelphia. She is also great at Jazz:

Motown released the album "Trust Me" on her in 1982.

Her biggest hit was this number one R&B single, Closer than Close"

Woodward, do yourself a favor and check her out. She's a powerhouse!

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Woodward, do yourself a favor and check her out. She's a powerhouse!
    Jean Carn is a wonderful singer. Her four philly int albums in the 70's and early 80's are absolute gems, She is a real cult figure here in the UK. She recorded just the one album for Motown called "trust me". In truth it wasn't that great an album but the title track is nice as is her version of "if you don't know me by now" featuring background vocals by the Temptations. Her mid 80's hit "closer than close" is another gem, but it is the four Philly albums you should be checking out. Jean also happens to be a lovely lady. I have met her several times. Do yourself a favour Woodward. Check this wonderful singer out. You owe it to yourself.

In most circles, she would be best known by her Philly International recordings, including her funky club hits: "Don't Let It Go To Your Head", "Was That All It Was" and "Free Love." All of which have been covered by other artists.

I've also read that anywhere from a handful to an album's worth of Carn[e] tracks remain in the Motown vault. Hopefully these tracks will see the light of day on a future reissue of Trust Me.
    "Sweet and Wonderful" is another post-Philly fave of mine, BTW.
    Last edited by sansradio; 08-09-2016 at 08:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post
    In most circles, she would be best known by her Philly International recordings, including her funky club hits: "Don't Let It Go To Your Head", "Was That All It Was" and "Free Love." All of which have been covered by other artists.
    Guy, can you let me know who has covered the latter two tracks? I remember The Brand New Heavies' take on "DLIGTYH," which I considered a valiant stab at an otherwise untouchable original.

I love this song ..No Laughing Matter https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_WhQJHZY2Gg

Her version of Love Don't Love Nobody is awesome also.

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Maybe this has been discussed before,so just asking,how long did jean stay at motown and how many songs did she release?
    arr&bee, Jean Carn recorded yet another track with Motown -- her excellent remake of Al Green's "Let's Stay Together" -- which appeared on the early 1980's Gordy album by Bobby M [[Militello) titled "Rick James Presents Bobby M: Blow".

JEAN CARN - "Let's Stay Together" [[Thanks to Diffrent Drumr for posting to YouTube.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RLNDCVIIVU

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    I've also read that anywhere from a handful to an album's worth of Carn[e] tracks remain in the Motown vault. Hopefully these tracks will see the light of day on a future reissue of Trust Me.
    "Sweet and Wonderful" is another post-Philly fave of mine, BTW.
    I thought "sweet and wonderful" was on one of her philly albums sansradio? It was a great duet with Glenn Jones which was indeed sweet and wonderful!

Was That All It Was was a huge disco hit in the LGBT nightclubs back in the day..

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    I thought "sweet and wonderful" was on one of her philly albums sansradio? It was a great duet with Glenn Jones which was indeed sweet and wonderful!
    sansradio,

My understanding is that all is left on Jean in the Motown vault is one track left off the "Trust Me" album, don't know the title though, and that's it. Paul Williams of the now defunct Reel Music/P&C labels confirmed this a few years back when he was considering issuing Jean's Motown album on CD for his labels.

Ivor

Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post
    I have not the faintest idea who she is. I never ever heard her name mentioned. I went to the bible, www.dftmc.info and she is not included in their data base.
    I was shocked like hell at first reading this but then I calmed down and remembered we
    ALL have our blind spots, Lord knows I've missed some things in the history of this music.
    Jean I've heard is singing again and has made peace with her ex Doug; I meant earlier to
    check for new music and this thread reminds me, In the meantime, do any of you remember
    this Motown release:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOiFzf6gdaU

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    You are correct. It was a PI release on the TSOP imprint, her final effort for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Laserdk View Post
    sansradio,

My understanding is that all is left on Jean in the Motown vault is one track left off the "Trust Me" album, don't know the title though, and that's it. Paul Williams of the now defunct Reel Music/P&C labels confirmed this a few years back when he was considering issuing Jean's Motown album on CD for his labels.

Ivor
    Well, that's kind of a bummer.

Yes, splanky, her "If You Don't Know Me By Now" with the Tempts is classic. Here's another fave of mine:

Quote Originally Posted by splanky View Post
    I was shocked like hell at first reading this but then I calmed down and remembered we
    ALL have our blind spots, Lord knows I've missed some things in the history of this music.
    Jean I've heard is singing again and has made peace with her ex Doug; I meant earlier to
    check for new music and this thread reminds me, In the meantime, do any of you remember
    this Motown release:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOiFzf6gdaU
    Yes, I'd heard that she and Doug reunited professionally after not having seen one another in 40 years! Very exciting. Their "Infant Eyes" is a masterpiece.

And who could forget...break out the Champale...

Jean sang at Levi Stubbs' funeral. That was the last time I saw her.

Thanks gang,jean is a great singer.

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Thanks gang,jean is a great singer.
    One of Phillys finest, and a lovely lady too. I spent some quality time with only a few months back where she told me of her forthcoming music amongst many other things.

She is also on 2 tracks of Lonnie Liston Smiths , "Love Goddess" lp. " Heaven" and "Star Flower" are her lead vocals.
    Last edited by daddyacey; 08-14-2016 at 11:55 PM. Reason: correction from lp cover and credits

Likely not one of Martha Reeves favorite people when Jean was asked to sing one of Marthas songs on Smokey Robinsons summer replacement series on NBC in the mid 80's...Martha, who was also on the show didn't take kindly to the idea and stormed out of the rehearsal...Mr Gordy had to get personally involved. Exactly what he told Martha when he tracked her down and told her by phone...perhaps discretion is the better part of valor...
    Last edited by StuBass1; 08-15-2016 at 12:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by daddyacey View Post
    She is also on 2 tracks of Lonnie Liston Smiths , "Love Goddess" lp. " Heaven" and "Star Flower" are her lead vocals.
    That's right! I used to own that CD; I need to track it down.

Quote Originally Posted by StuBass1 View Post
    Likely not one of Martha Reeves favorite people when Jean was asked to sing one of Marthas songs on Smokey Robinsons summer replacement series on NBC in the mid 80's...Martha, who was also on the show didn't take kindly to the idea and stormed out of the rehearsal...Mr Gordy had to get personally involved. Exactly what he told Martha when he tracked her down and told her by phone...perhaps discretion is the better part of valor...
    Unless it is during a tribute where different artists are invited to salute someone by performing their own hit material [[remember Patti and others saluting Aretha Franklin)
    no one should perform anyone's else work at a venue where they are present and so I
    say whoever asked Jean to sing one of Martha's song probably knew it would create
    drama and did it on purpose for their own entertainment...

I wonder what happened there. I watched that show every week but I don't remember Jean appearing on it.

I do remember the episode where Martha appeared. She sang a medley of her hits. Then, for the finale, she, El DeBarge, and Natalie Cole joined Smokey for a performance of HEATWAVE. I must say, Natalie did take over the song and I felt a little bad for Martha.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I wonder what happened there. I watched that show every week but I don't remember Jean appearing on it.

I do remember the episode where Martha appeared. She sang a medley of her hits. Then, for the finale, she, El DeBarge, and Natalie Cole joined Smokey for a performance of HEATWAVE. I must say, Natalie did take over the song and I felt a little bad for Martha.
    You know...As I recall the story [[told by an inside source) it was Jean Carne....but it could have been Natale that pissed Martha off and set off the chain of events...I was at the taping of the first show, but this incident was a later episode...

You know...As I recall the story [[told by an inside source) it was Jean Carne....but it could have been Natale that pissed Martha off and set off the chain of events...I was at the taping of the first show, but this incident was a later episode...
    I KNOW Martha and it is totally within character for her to get pissed! LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I KNOW Martha and it is totally within character for her to get pissed! LOL!
    And it took just a very few [[brief) words from Mr Gordy to "convince" her to return to the rehearsal and do as told LOL...

And it took just a very few [[brief) words from Mr Gordy to "convince" her to return to the rehearsal and do as told LOL...
    I also know Mr. Gordy, but not as well, but I do know he can make you do it! LOL! [[some people that is.......).