[REMOVE ADS]

Up the Ladder to the Roof in The Get Down [[Netflix)

Someone may have posted it already, but I love the way they used Up The Ladder To The Roof in this trailer for The Get Down, the new series of Netflix of which Nelson George was one of the associate producers [[song starts at 1:33). Directed by Baz Luhrmanns [[Moulin Rouge, The Great Gatsby), this looks like it is going to be an amazing television series.

Great. This starts on Aug. 12 right? A great mixture of Soul, Disco and Hip hop.

"Up The Ladder To The Roof" is probably the most covered song in the history of Motown. There's been a whole generation of kids that grew up singing it in schools across the country.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    "Up The Ladder To The Roof" is probably the most covered song in the history of Motown. There's been a whole generation of kids that grew up singing it in schools across the country.
    Well, second to "For Once in My Life," that's for sure! ;D

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Well, second to "For Once in My Life," that's for sure! ;D
    Uh uh. It has totally surpassed that song. You may be thinking of the number of times For Once In My Life has been re-recorded. "Up the Ladder to the Roof" has been performed hundreds of times by thousands of Jr. High, High School and College singers over the years.

I see where you're coming from.

I see where you're coming from.
    I was pleasantly surprised to learn this as much as I was when I heard Queen Elizabeth's Guards playing the Four Tops! LOL

Yeah, I'm really amped about this series. I've run out of stuff to binge watch, so this is right on time!

My favorite on Netflix was "Hemlock Grove" but they stopped making it.

I am watching "The Get Down" right now on Netflix. This is REALLY good you guys. I recommend getting Netflix just to see this great program. Lots of music too.

Watched ep.1 last night: lots of action and great music in the background.
    Did not know the Bronx was so dirty then!
    Baz Luhrman took some liberty with the timeline I think: in the same night there is disco- dancing to Devils Gun by CJ & Co. and later that night there is rapping by Grandmaster Flash at an underground disco.

Quote Originally Posted by jack020 View Post
    Baz Luhrman took some liberty with the timeline I think: in the same night there is disco- dancing to Devils Gun by CJ & Co. and later that night there is rapping by Grandmaster Flash at an underground disco.
    And Donna Summer's Bad Girls was not out yet in 1977. But Luhrmann went for the feel of the time, not historical realism and I think he succeeded!

Watched ep.1 last night: lots of action and great music in the background.
    Did not know the Bronx was so dirty then!
    -
    Oh the Bronx was filthy in the 70s and early 80s. I also noticed that he took some liberties. At one point they flashed "1977" on the screen and within seconds they were playing Donna Summer's 1979 hit "Bad Girls". Things like that urk me a little. However, they had the "look" down. The main male character reminded me of .....me [[in terms of look) at that age and in that time.

The women were very hot which is very true of the Bronx.
    Last edited by marv2; 08-13-2016 at 10:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaap View Post
    And Donna Summer's Bad Girls was not out yet in 1977. But Luhrmann went for the feel of the time, not historical realism and I think he succeeded!
    Jaap, I posted the same thing before reading your post. I guess more than I did notice that. The thing with Rap competing with Disco did not jive with me. Even in NYC at that time, there was no competition because Disco was king in 1977.

-
    Oh the Bronx was filthy in the 70s and early 80s. I also noticed that he took some liberties. At one point they flashed "1977" on the screen and within seconds they were playing Donna Summer's 1979 hit "Bad Girls". Things like that urk me a little. However, they had the "look" down. The main male character reminded me of .....me [[in terms of look) at that age and in that time.

The woman were very hot which is very true of the Bronx.
    I live in the Bronx; hell, it's STILL dirty.

The thing with Rap competing with Disco did not jive with me. Even in NYC at that time, there was no competition because Disco was king in 1977.
    Totally agree! Of course, I was not there back then, but when you listen to early rap of the late seventies, it is a continuation of disco.

I live in the Bronx; hell, it's STILL dirty.
    It depends on what part? Over by the Zoo off Bronx River Pkwy is a little rough looking, the Grand Concourse gets litter because it is a shopping district, but like over by Bronx CC it is nice in my opinion. Arthur Ave, Morris Ave, etc, etc are what they have always been.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaap View Post
    Totally agree! Of course, I was not there back then, but when you listen to early rap of the late seventies, it is a continuation of disco.
    you are correct! They even used Disco beats like Chic's "Good Times. I was a teenager in those days. I was going on 17 when the blackout happened.

This show is extremely too well made to be on Netflix! Everyone needs to have the opportunity to see it. I am totally hooked from watching episode 2. By the way "Up the Ladder to the Roof" is like the theme song for episode 2.

https://www.yahoo.com/music/the-get-down-gets-fictional-music-tv-right-2-203509122.html?soc_src=social-sh&soc_trk=fb

Review of "Get Down." It addresses the makers taking liberty with the dates of songs, including them years before they were made, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by zani57 View Post
    https://www.yahoo.com/music/the-get-down-gets-fictional-music-tv-right-2-203509122.html?soc_src=social-sh&soc_trk=fb

Review of "Get Down." It addresses the makers taking liberty with the dates of songs, including them years before they were made, etc.
    Hey Zani thanks!!!!

By the way "Up the Ladder to the Roof" is like the theme song for episode 2.
    It was for the third episode, episode 2 featured Turn The Beat Around & there But For The Grace Of God....

By the way "Up the Ladder to the Roof" is like the theme song for episode 2.
    It was for the third episode, episode 2 featured Turn The Beat Around & there But For The Grace Of God....
    I binged watched the episodes......sorry LOL!

This show is extremely too well made to be on Netflix! Everyone needs to have the opportunity to see it. I am totally hooked from watching episode 2. By the way "Up the Ladder to the Roof" is like the theme song for episode 2.
    Actually, Netflix and HBO are home to some of the very best TV shows. I binged "The Get Down" in a couple of days after finding out about it in the spring. It was hit and miss for me [[the discrepancies in time and Blaxploitation-style shootout being the misses), but I liked the kids and where the story is going. I'm a little mad that I have to wait a year to see the conclusion, though. I advise anybody watching it to at least view it up until the second episode because it's a little jumbled at the beginning but gets quite good really fast after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    Actually, Netflix and HBO are home to some of the very best TV shows. I binged "The Get Down" in a couple of days after finding out about it in the spring. It was hit and miss for me [[the discrepancies in time and Blaxploitation-style shootout being the misses), but I liked the kids and where the story is going. I'm a little mad that I have to wait a year to see the conclusion, though. I advise anybody watching it to at least view it up until the second episode because it's a little jumbled at the beginning but gets quite good really fast after that.
    I loved it and it really made me feel nostalgic. I sometimes have a hard time with how fast time passed. Great show overall.

Really enjoying the show...finished watching the first season and the storyline and music is great

Quote Originally Posted by glencro View Post
    Really enjoying the show...finished watching the first season and the storyline and music is great
    It is one of the few shows that kept my attention throughout in a very long time.

Here is the trailer to this great series: