[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ace Records presents Syreeta – Something On My Mind: The Rita Wright Years 1967-1970

Name:  Syreeta visual 2.jpg
Views: 3602
Size:  91.0 KB

“It’s a completely different type of music from an era that will never return. I hope that [[Motown) never digs back into those old tapes to think about releasing any of them now” – Syreeta, December 1972.

Forty-odd years have come and gone since Syreeta Wright spoke those words, and sadly Syreeta herself has gone with them. We hope that if she were with us now, she'd reconsider that thought, and be pleased to hear these tunes again. Fourteen of them, some previously released, were recorded in Detroit between 1967 and 1969. The remainder are taken from two recently rediscovered tapes recorded in L.A. during the first six months of 1970, and none of them have appeared before.

The CD will be released by Ace Records on their Kent label at the end of September. Track list is as follows:

I Can't Give Back The Love I Feel For You
    Ain't I Gonna Win Your Love *
    It Don't Mean Nothin' To Me *
    Something On My Mind
    Beware Of A Stranger
    That's What He Told Me *
    I Want To Go Back There Again *
    Bad Boy *
    Give Back The Good Things
    Hurtin' Me [[Became A Habit) *
    Can't Stop *
    Where Is The Love
    Mind, Body And Soul *
    You *
    Save The Country *
    Since You Came Back *
    Can You Feel It, Babe *
    Love Child *
    Where There's A Will There's A Way *
    Love's Gone Bad *
    Love My Lovin' Man *
    You Made Me Feel Like Everything Was Alright
    [[Touched) By The Hand Of Love *
    May His Love Shine Forever *

* Previously unreleased

Quote Originally Posted by keith_hughes View Post

“It’s a completely different type of music from an era that will never return. I hope that [[Motown) never digs back into those old tapes to think about releasing any of them now” – Syreeta, December 1972.

Forty-odd years have come and gone since Syreeta Wright spoke those words, and sadly Syreeta herself has gone with them. We hope that if she were with us now, she'd reconsider that thought, and be pleased to hear these tunes again. Fourteen of them, some previously released, were recorded in Detroit between 1967 and 1969. The remainder are taken from two recently rediscovered tapes recorded in L.A. during the first six months of 1970, and none of them have appeared before.

The CD will be released by Ace Records on their Kent label at the end of September. Track list is as follows:

Something On My Mind
    Beware Of A Stranger
    That's What He Told Me *
    Bad Boy *
    Can't Stop *
    Where Is The Love
    Mind, Body And Soul *
    You *
    Save The Country *
    Since You Came Back *
    Can You Feel It, Babe *
    Love Child *
    Love's Gone Bad *
    Love My Lovin' Man *

* Previously unreleased
    Many thanks for this one Keith and all the good folks at Ace/Kent for getting this out especially as it contains 18 previously unreleased tracks from Syreeta's late '60s/early /70s Motown period.

Ivor

Thanks Mr. Hughes.
    I am looking forward to it.
    I am curious about one title in particular..."Hurtin'Me [[Became A Habit)" . Other than the title is there any connection to "Don't Make Hurting Me A Habit"- composer[[s)? Timeline? etc.
    O.K.,.... maybe a second. Does "May His Love Shine Forever" contain the same backing track as the version released by the Supremes?

Wow!!! Getting this one for sure! Very exciting news! Thank you to everyone involved. Wonderful!

RossHolloway Guest
    Sign me up!!!

Looking forward to this CD!

It was only yesterday that I was listening to "I Can't Give Back The Love I Feel For You" and thinking what a great song and rendition by Syreeta/Rita. Mouthwatering track list for this new CD and I spotted "I Want To Go Back There Again" and also "Mind, Body & Soul" which I assume is the same song as recorded by Suzee Ikeeda and which I love. Another definite for the collection - looking forward to it arriving. Thanks all involved.

Methinks that this will be the Motown highlight of 2016

Ace are just the very best!! Long may they continue to enrich our lives with these wonderful releases.

Oh, yes! This is a definite buy. To have the few previously released all on one disc with such a great array of unreleased material - Priceless! Thank you, Ace/Kent and Keith Hughes!!

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    oh, yes! This is a definite buy. To have the few previously released all on one disc with such a great array of unreleased material - priceless! Thank you, ace/kent and keith hughes!!
    ***this***

I do wonder if this collection includes all of her recorded material during this time frame. I also wonder what else was discovered on "rediscovered tapes". And how the discovery was made. Just thinking out loud..
    Last edited by RossHolloway; 08-08-2016 at 04:21 PM.

Does Mr. Wonder have any involvement in the production of the unreleased material, or was this before they started working together professionally?

Quote Originally Posted by RossHolloway View Post
    ***this***

I do wonder if this collection includes all of her recorded material during this time frame. I also wonder what else was discovered on "rediscovered tapes". And how the discovery was made. Just thinking out loud..
    Good questions. I was wondering the same, but didn't want to press my luck by asking too much. I'm sure that Keith Hughes will share with us as much as he can without spoiling any other future surprises.

I also failed to mention Mr. Hughes apparently carefully chosen brilliant wording in the title of this thread.

I have never taken the time to listen to a lot of Syreeta's recordings, but I think "With You I'm Born Again" is sublime. I'm looking forward to hearing these early recordings! Great choice for an underappreciated artist!

Wow, can't wait for this release given the excellence of Ace's other albums.

Syreeta had a fantastic voice which I am sure will make this album a real treat for us all.

Wonderful news...thanks to Ace/Kent and Keith...

Incredible! I may have to make my first Ace purchase! Thanks, all!

Although this is probably insignificant, but with the lovely tinting done to the original black and white photo, the artist forgot Syreeta/Rita's gums. Missing tint, they are a drab shade of gray. If there's still time [[which I hope there would be), Ace's art department may want to revisit the photo and "finish the job."

That said, I am EXCITED about this release! Ace appreciates Motown and always does very well by their customers. THANK YOU, Ace [[and Keith!) and I can't wait to see what other Motown releases might come from you in the coming months and years!

Quote Originally Posted by danman869 View Post
    Although this is probably insignificant, but with the lovely tinting done to the original black and white photo, the artist forgot Syreeta/Rita's gums. Missing tint, they are a drab shade of gray. If there's still time [[which I hope there would be), Ace's art department may want to revisit the photo and "finish the job." ...
    There may be.
    When I suggested a few small changes needed for Motown Girls Vol I colorized photo of the Velvelettes, there musn't have been ample time. But for the Vandellas on the cover of Motown Girls 2 , my suggestions were taken and utilized. I hope that your suggestion is taken. It has been reported that Berry sent many of his artists for dental work. I can't imagine that Rita would have had some untreatable periodontal disease that made her gums that shade which could not be corrected. [[LOL)
    I also noticed that the lighter colored edge on the left of Rita's sleeveless top/dress is not followed through on the right.

Keith & Ace -- Thanks for yet another tasty Motown morsel! Keep 'em coming!

- Gary

With this CD, we will be able to hear Syreeta's voice and performing skills during those years when she was being considered as Diana's replacement. That should be interesting!

Syreeta - as I've written before - was for me, amazing. Her voice was just so beautiful, and in my opinion, so underestimated for her incredible talents.

I see the CD also includes her version of 'love child', which is more haunting than the original.

Wonderful forthcoming release. I hope Harry W has had an input into the liner notes, and I'm sure he'll be as delighted as we all are for this fantastic and overdue release.

Thanks Keith for informing us about the release.

Wonder if she recorded a full version of "I Can't Dance To That Music You're Playing" without Martha back then.

Surprised by this release, don't think anyone on the forum guessed Syreeta/ Rita Wright for the subject of next Ace CD, I for one am thrilled loved her voice and enjoyed her tracks on the cellarful series, thanks Keith and the team, hope there is more on the way from Ace soon.

Wow! I can barely contain my excitement! I am really looking forward to this! Thank you to all the Ace/Kent folks. Keep up the great work!

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by dickiemint View Post
    Surprised by this release, don't think anyone on the forum guessed Syreeta/ Rita Wright for the subject of next Ace CD, I for one am thrilled loved her voice and enjoyed her tracks on the cellarful series, thanks Keith and the team, hope there is more on the way from Ace soon.
    Actually someone asked about Syreeta not too long ago...

honest man Guest
    Thank You ACE guys,nice surprise , nought wrong with cover it is correct for the time and music ,why change anything it was how it was right then,can't wait, Although the Love Child version it seems to screetch a lot ,i reckon does not touch Diana and Andantes my opinion may change[NOT]],When i hear official version though.THANK YOU MILLIONS ACE.cheers.

Thanks for all the kind words. I forgot to credit TONY ROUNCE at Ace for posing the question, "Why not a Rita Wright CD?" and for guiding the project through the long road to clearance. Tony's writing the essay, and as usual I'll be doing the annos.

Lots of q's from you, here are a few answers. Stevie co-wrote and co-produced "Ain't I Gonna Win Your Love". There seems to be one more track available from the period, maybe it'll fit on a Motown Girls comp one day. "May His Love Shine Forever" was overdubbed by the Supremes for the Rock Gospel album. "Hurtin' Me" was written by Pam Sawyer and Gloria Jones. And the rediscovered tapes ... it's a long story ... these things happen. Just as well they do, because till we found them and listened, we didn't have enough material from the period to make a CD! Credit there to the Fat Man In The Third Row for his diligent scanning of tape sources.
    Last edited by keith_hughes; 08-09-2016 at 11:50 AM.

Spectacular! Amazing! WONDERful!

Thank you Mr. Hughes and ACE and all involved for continually bringing us these treasures.....and on PHYSICAL form!

xo

Name:  Rita 1.jpg
Views: 1920
Size:  43.9 KB
    Name:  Rita2.jpg
Views: 1969
Size:  28.3 KB
    I do hope they add a little more warmth to Syreeta's skin tone on the cover. She looks a bit green and it's just not looking right at the moment. What do you think?

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 1896
Size:  21.1 KB

Great news! I LOVED her one Rita Wright single. I can't wait to hear some of those unreleased cuts, like "Love's Gone Bad".

ACE/KENT can do no wrong in my eyes..like ive said before each and every Motown release has been utterly superb..I have supported them by purchasing every release and I will carry on...this set looks stunning and I cant wait for it to drop...thanks Keith and Co.

Quote Originally Posted by brother_love View Post
    Name:  Rita 1.jpg
Views: 1920
Size:  43.9 KB
    Name:  Rita2.jpg
Views: 1969
Size:  28.3 KB
    I do hope they add a little more warmth to Syreeta's skin tone on the cover. She looks a bit green and it's just not looking right at the moment. What do you think?
    BrotherLove! Great job re-toning the cover! Hopefully Ace can use your idea and make some adjustments. There is an unusual green tone to the photo--especially next to your change. Fix the "gray" gums and re-tone the photo [[but I do love the ordinal background color!) and they'd have a real winner of a CD cover!
    Last edited by danman869; 08-10-2016 at 11:37 AM. Reason: Misspelled word.

Quote Originally Posted by danman869 View Post
    BrotherLove! Great job re-toning the cover! Hopefully Ace can use your idea and make some adjustments. There is an unusual green tone to the photo--especially next to your change. Fix the "gray" gums and re-tone the photo [[but I do love the ordinal background color!) and they'd have a real winner of a CD cover!
    Dan, I agree with you I do like the light blue background as well. I'm not a pro so I didn't know how to keep that color. I can't wait for this release! Thank the heavens for ACE.

Currently £13.61 on Amazon UK

Thank you for this unexpected treat. I can hardly wait.

Quote Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
    With this CD, we will be able to hear Syreeta's voice and performing skills during those years when she was being considered as Diana's replacement. That should be interesting!
    Assuming the 'Love Child' track is the same as the DRATS version, in which case this will be a good track to see if Syreeta would have been a good replacement for Diana. Perhaps this was recorded as an audition.

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
    Assuming the 'Love Child' track is the same as the DRATS version, in which case this will be a good track to see if Syreeta would have been a good replacement for Diana. Perhaps this was recorded as an audition.
    Syreeta sang the demo from which DR learned the song. This is legendary.

Quote Originally Posted by RossHolloway View Post
    Syreeta sang the demo from which DR learned the song. This is legendary.
    Thanks for that, I hadn't heard that before but it makes sense. I now understand that BG wanted her as the lead singer after Jean Terrell had been chosen.

Yes, I agree that the re-toned cover looks much better.

honest man Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by keith_hughes View Post

Something On My Mind
    Beware Of A Stranger
    That's What He Told Me *
    Bad Boy *
    Can't Stop *
    Where Is The Love
    Mind, Body And Soul *
    You *
    Save The Country *
    Since You Came Back *
    Can You Feel It, Babe *
    Love Child *
    Love's Gone Bad *
    Love My Lovin' Man *

* Previously unreleased
    https://www.acerecords.co.uk/syreeta...town-1967-1970 Now up on ACE Site,i wonder if YOU Is same song on Diana's LTISH Album.interesting.cheers.

honest man Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
    Yes it is the same track as legendary Diana Ross song.i have it somewhere if i remember it has extra verse also and i think Syreeta struggled trying to keep up and also with her vocal range, if not correct maybe i had a bad copy .cheers.

Thanks Keith! If it wasn't for you guys, we wouldn't have many releases to look forward to these days.

Amazon description [[still £13.61).
    "One of Motown's best loved female acts of the 70s and 80s finally receives a long overdue overview of her first recordings from 1967-70. These tracks were recorded when Syreeta was still being marketed by Motown as Rita Wright. Only two were issued at the time of recording. A formidable 17 are seeing the light of day here for the first time. She was teamed with many of Motown's top producers of the period, including Ashford & Simpson, Holland-Dozier-Holland, Hal Davis, Hank Cosby and her future husband Stevie Wonder. All brought top-drawer material to the table in the hope of finding her a hit. The CD includes what appears to be a completed and shelved 1970 album for Motown's Mowest subsidiary, featuring her versions of Motown classics by the Miracles, Chris Clark and Marvin Gaye, among others. Continued interest in Syreeta Wright's later Motown material is sure to fuel strong demand for this strong package. It features a detailed note and comprehensive annotations from acknowledged Motown expert Keith Hughes."

I pre-ordered mine on Amazon Canada. Great price [[$17)!

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B01K3C...tLL&ref=plSrch

The CD is also available for oreorder on the United States Amazon site for $15.99.

Just ordered my copy - can't wait!

I have some sad news for Ace/Motown fans. We've lost Vicki Fox, the artist who brought colour to so many of our CD covers. "Something On My Mind" was the last CD she worked on. The booklet hasn't yet gone to print, so we'll be able to add a special note of thanks to her.

There's a tribute page here: http://acerecords.co.uk/features/vic...i-fox-tributes

R.I.P.

Keith

How very sad. RIP Vicki Fox

Thoughts go out to her family and friends at this time of great sadness.