[REMOVE ADS]

Suggestion: Diana Ross & the Supremes Greatest Hits [[1967) Vinyl Reissue

Not sure if this would generate enough interest, but considering how much of a huge seller DRATS' Greatest Hits [[1967) was, I would love to see a vinyl reissue to celebrate it's 50th anniversary next year...complete with the original gatefold, Motown inner sleeves and of course, the portrait poster.

I have three copies of this set but wanted to put it out there, in case Universal is considering doing any more vinyl reissues, on par with the latest 40th anniversary reissue of Diana Ross '76.
    Last edited by carlo; 08-07-2016 at 06:35 PM.

Sounds cool to me.

of course I'll buy one if they do this.. I have the new ''76' re issue and it looks and sounds amazing

Really good idea

I don't buy new old vinyl, I'd much prefer the vintageness of vintage 1967 print vinyl, semi worn covers, still playable scratches and all, but this case, I do understand the importance of the anniversary of the Diana Ross & the Supremes Greatest Hits double album.

What would be great would be a vinyl boxed set [[or two) of every Supremes' LP from Meet to Mary, Sherrie, Susaye. I would shell out a couple hundred for that without even hesitating.

Quote Originally Posted by Ngroove View Post
    I don't buy new old vinyl, I'd much prefer the vintageness of vintage 1967 print vinyl, semi worn covers, still playable scratches and all, but this case, I do understand the importance of the anniversary of the Diana Ross & the Supremes Greatest Hits double album.
    Just curious: if you are into vinyl, why wouldn't you buy reissued vinyl? It will sound better.

I wouldn't buy it because I prefer the mono mixes, and I have those on CD already.

In case anyone was unaware, the number ones set made it to double vinyl last year...

https://www.amazon.com/Number-Ones-R...=UTF8&qid=&sr=

I was hoping Music On Vinyl would continue to issue more Supremes titles but the only other release they've done is "I Hear A Symphony" and it wasn't the full Stereo album like we finally got on the IHAS expanded CD set...

Quote Originally Posted by Glenpwood View Post
    In case anyone was unaware, the number ones set made it to double vinyl last year...

https://www.amazon.com/Number-Ones-R...=UTF8&qid=&sr=

I was hoping Music On Vinyl would continue to issue more Supremes titles but the only other release they've done is "I Hear A Symphony" and it wasn't the full Stereo album like we finally got on the IHAS expanded CD set...
    It is an EXACT duplicate of the CD version if anyone is interested. That said, its nice to have a crisp, clean vinyl version of Stoned Love.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    Just curious: if you are into vinyl, why wouldn't you buy reissued vinyl? It will sound better.

I wouldn't buy it because I prefer the mono mixes, and I have those on CD already.
    I am a collector. I do often enjoy the "Deluxe Edition" CDs, just as I also sometimes enjoy buying real music, printed in its original printed period, in vinyl.

By now, I have almost all of the studio recorded hit Diana Ross & the Supremes albums, plus a couple live albums, and a trio of Jean Terrell years albums, so far; dated 1964-1971. It just would not feel the same, collector-wise, if they were dated 2008-2016.
    Last edited by Ngroove; 08-12-2016 at 01:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    It is an EXACT duplicate of the CD version if anyone is interested. That said, its nice to have a crisp, clean vinyl version of Stoned Love.
    Stoned Love was the one song on that cd that I didn't care for. I thought the mix was too heavy and it sounded too dark. Love the song, though!

The last song on LP 2 is "There's No Stopping Us Now", with the famous horn bleep. Love the song TNSUN. In my youth, I remember saving money from my paper route job to buy two Supremes albums on a very special Saturday morning."The Supremes Greatest Hits" and "The Supremes Sing and Perform Funny Girl"- the eye shadow make-up was awesome in all the color photos.Gil Askey's musical direction is stellar on this recording!

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post

I don't know if anyone else feels the same, but I've often found represses to not be as good. The record store day coloured issues have been pretty hit and miss in my experience. I was fortunate to win a couple of Marvin's re-issues a few years back. Let's get it on was immaculate but Trouble man left a bit to be desired. I'm quite careful not to knee jerk to the advert and purchase straight off. It's not cheap now either? In the UK, probably close to thirty quid plus postage. Same title sometimes available on CD for a fiver. How times change?

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I don't know if anyone else feels the same, but I've often found represses to not be as good. The record store day coloured issues have been pretty hit and miss in my experience. I was fortunate to win a couple of Marvin's re-issues a few years back. Let's get it on was immaculate but Trouble man left a bit to be desired. I'm quite careful not to knee jerk to the advert and purchase straight off. It's not cheap now either? In the UK, probably close to thirty quid plus postage. Same title sometimes available on CD for a fiver. How times change?
    The repressed [[new) stuff is not nearly as good as the original vinyl. It skips right out of the sleeve, scratches much easier, and there is often very bad compression on the high-end. Often these issues are pressed from digital files, which completely defeats the point, IMHO. But I still buy them if they are higher quality [[not the Waxtime knock-offs). I'd much prefer A Go Go or WDOLG on a vinyl reissue. MusicOnVinyl reissued IHAS and now it can't be found anywhere. Glad I scooped it up, but the IHAS track has a skip [[of course).

Funny that this thread that I made five years ago just resurfaced, as I barely even remembered posting this. Also funny that I've changed my opinion since then and would no longer wish for any Supremes vinyl reissue, since the quality control and overall quality in general of new vinyl pressings have severely declined, especially in the five years since I started this thread. If a new vinyl pressing of a Supremes album were to come along, I would likely still buy it, but most of the new pressings are hit and miss. The Reflections mono vinyl that came out in the last year or so was much better than average, with the exception of the wrong label that was plastered on side 2, for both my original copy and replacement copy. I find the pressings done in the EU are usually good. Anything pressed in North America is usually problematic.

I had always hoped they'd reissue the 1967 greatest hits as the standard collection and 2-CD set. I made my own years ago which we can do with whatever selections we like. This was my idea although small due to CD jewel case size. What a great digipak this would make in an updated version and even have the three posters although smaller.

Name:  s1.jpg
Views: 705
Size:  101.0 KB

Name:  s2.jpg
Views: 623
Size:  99.4 KB

Name:  s3.jpg
Views: 625
Size:  94.1 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by nathanj06; 02-23-2021 at 03:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nathanj06 View Post
    What a great digipak this would make in an updated version and even have the three posters although smaller.
    I agree, I've also always thought it would be great to do a digi-pack of Greatest Hits '67, as well as the Anthology from '74. I had hoped that maybe Universal Japan would have jumped on that idea at some point, since they tend to do great mini-LP sleeve replica releases for their CD reissues.

I love the artwork that you created. Great work.

Thanks Carlo. Uni Japan does nice work but somewhat limited as far as additional tracks and so forth. Andrew, George and Harry got my money.