[REMOVE ADS]




Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 101 to 120 of 120
  1. #101
    I think there were only two songs on her first solo that I liked Pick Up The Pieces and Warm Summer Nights.....I think were the titles

  2. #102
    Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    I think there were only two songs on her first solo that I liked Pick Up The Pieces and Warm Summer Nights.....I think were the titles
    I didn't mind THE LIGHT THAT GUIDES MY WAY but there was little else of quality on display i'm afraid.

  3. #103
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Yes we were very creative with those cd singles. We were given a large budget to work on, and Diana could not do enough to help us. I spent many happy hours discussing cd cover designs and future single choices. Wonderful happy memories.
    Then you must have known her product mgr. I believe his name was Jonathan Green. He ended up going to Polydor. He wasn't a natural Diana fan...more of a rocker. We traded promos for years and he gave me my cherished copy of the customized Guinness book. He always did a great job. I remember stopping by the offices when "One Shining Moment" came on BBC 1. It seemed that everyone had turned their radios on. (Kinda like we all did when the infamous Whitney/Wendy interview surprisingly aired on 'BLS).
    EMI did a commendable job for Diana throughout the 90s. The crowning achievement was "One Woman" led by a brilliant television campaign. As a fan, thanks so much for your contribution to that success. The 90s were great internationally as I witnessed first hand great marketing from Singapore and across the European continent and the Anglosphere.

  4. #104
    Quote Originally Posted by Bokiluis View Post
    Then you must have known her product mgr. I believe his name was Jonathan Green. He ended up going to Polydor. He wasn't a natural Diana fan...more of a rocker. We traded promos for years and he gave me my cherished copy of the customized Guinness book. He always did a great job. I remember stopping by the offices when "One Shining Moment" came on BBC 1. It seemed that everyone had turned their radios on. (Kinda like we all did when the infamous Whitney/Wendy interview surprisingly aired on 'BLS).
    EMI did a commendable job for Diana throughout the 90s. The crowning achievement was "One Woman" led by a brilliant television campaign. As a fan, thanks so much for your contribution to that success. The 90s were great internationally as I witnessed first hand great marketing from Singapore and across the European continent and the Anglosphere.
    Much respect heading from me to you.

  5. #105
    started going through this string and the Where Ross Lead Single string to get a listing of canned/alt tracks for the various lps of Ross since 1981. for the RCA albums i not listing everything from the 2015 re-releases with single vs lp versions and 12" versions.

    Why Do Fools & Silk Electric - other than Muscles, seems like these to lps were recorded through 81 and then made into 2 lps. Anyone know how much sits in the vaults in terms of other versions? there were unreleased versions of Fool For Your Love including an extended mix for single use.

    Ross 83 - Bluebrock mentions 4 unreleased tracks. Another person listed Full Moon as a canned track.

    Swept Away - what's still in vault?

    Eaten Alive - Bluebrock mentions 2 canned tracks, one of which was a ballad

    Red Hot R&B - unfinished track Try A Little Tenderness. Europe lp also had Mr Lee, Tell mama and Sweet soul music

    then there are 2 projects/albums from the RCA era that were either not completed or canned. A "rock" lp from the time of Silk Electric that was recorded with some of the Kiss/Gene Simmons people and then a Harold Allen lp of standards

    Working Overtime -

    Force behind The Power

    Take Me Higher - lots here
    Change of Heart
    When You Tell Me That you Love Me
    Battlefield
    Blame it on the Sun
    Heavy Weather
    Force Behind the Power
    Heart Don't Change my Mind
    Waiting in the wings - cassette single version in US
    One Shining Moment
    You're Gonna Love It - multiple remixes and edits on singles
    If We Hold On Together
    No Matter What you Do (duet - on Europe version)
    you and I (on Europe version)

    Take Me Higher
    Take me Higher - multiple single remixes, cassette single version
    If you're not gonna love me right - Crenshaw remix
    voice of the heart - US and europe album mixes
    let somebody know - US album
    keep it right there - US and europe album mixes
    don't stop
    gone
    only love can conquer all
    i never loved a man before - Europe and US album mixes, unreleased mix, cassette single version
    i thought that we were still in love
    i will survive - "disco" version in motown vaults, In and Out movie version, various dance remixes
    swing it - europe album
    Soul Kiss - canadian single
    Too Many Nights - international B-side single
    I'm So Happy - international b-side single

    Everyday is a New Day
    He Lives in You
    Love is all that Matters - brandy duet version and album version
    Until we meet again - album and Hex Hector mix, various other remixes
    got to be free
    not over you yet
    So they say
    every day is a new day
    sugarfree
    someone that you loved before
    hope is an open window
    carry on
    drop the mask - international single only
    free i'm gone - international single only
    Last edited by sup_fan; 09-02-2016 at 06:25 PM.

  6. #106
    I did think that perhaps Fight For It was an out take from Ross 83 but I showed up as a B side.
    Full Moon, Maybe , Sleep With Me Tonight were the other 3 tracks that I am aware of.
    not sure who or why the other songs were changed out , but probably bot a good idea ,imo.
    I wasn't a fan of most of side 2

  7. #107
    mpn1jco Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Bokiluis View Post
    Then you must have known her product mgr. I believe his name was Jonathan Green. He ended up going to Polydor. He wasn't a natural Diana fan...more of a rocker. We traded promos for years and he gave me my cherished copy of the customized Guinness book. He always did a great job. I remember stopping by the offices when "One Shining Moment" came on BBC 1. It seemed that everyone had turned their radios on. (Kinda like we all did when the infamous Whitney/Wendy interview surprisingly aired on 'BLS).
    EMI did a commendable job for Diana throughout the 90s. The crowning achievement was "One Woman" led by a brilliant television campaign. As a fan, thanks so much for your contribution to that success. The 90s were great internationally as I witnessed first hand great marketing from Singapore and across the European continent and the Anglosphere.
    The first single from EDIAND was "Not Over You Yet", which debuted in the top ten in the UK. Although personal problems prevailed by the time of the second release, preventing live appearances to promote it - could she have just done a promo clip and your team take it from there ? I think Until We Meet Again could have been a hit just from airplay, if you could get the DJs to play it.

  8. #108
    Quote Originally Posted by mpn1jco View Post
    The first single from EDIAND was "Not Over You Yet", which debuted in the top ten in the UK. Although personal problems prevailed by the time of the second release, preventing live appearances to promote it - could she have just done a promo clip and your team take it from there ? I think Until We Meet Again could have been a hit just from airplay, if you could get the DJs to play it.
    In the 70's and 80's that would have worked just fine, but by the 90's the singles market had changed dramatically. By this time singles were airplayed weeks before they were available to buy, whereas in the past new singles would rarely be played before they were commercially available. Appearing on a TV show was initially more important than hearing the song on the radio. With NOYY Diana performed it on TOTP, THE LOTTERY SHOW and did interviews for radios 1 and 2 and Smooth radio as well as press interviews. UWMA was earmarked to be the 2nd single but Diana's problems put paid to another promotional visit. It was a lost opportunity i agree, but by this time she had left Motown USA and we didn't know if she would sign a new contract with another Company so the Record Company were reluctant to release it without Diana here to promote it.

  9. #109
    Quote Originally Posted by RossHolloway View Post
    I'm going to guess an Expanded Edition of Red Hot, Mary's first solo album.
    I'd love a reissue of Mary's debut or at least some of the tracks like lead single Red Hot

    Yes the material could have been stronger but hey ho.

    anyway we've had Scherrie & Susayes (dire IMHO) Partners reissued on cd, Florence has seen her album released on cd, Jean's has been issued on cd , as has Diana's solo debut.. all the 70s Supremes have been out on cd on the Let Yourself Go set so for completions sake Mary deserves her album reissuing on cd

  10. #110
    Quote Originally Posted by mwmr View Post
    I'd love a reissue of Mary's debut or at least some of the tracks like lead single Red Hot

    Yes the material could have been stronger but hey ho.

    anyway we've had Scherrie & Susayes (dire IMHO) Partners reissued on cd, Florence has seen her album released on cd, Jean's has been issued on cd , as has Diana's solo debut.. all the 70s Supremes have been out on cd on the Let Yourself Go set so for completions sake Mary deserves her album reissuing on cd
    Much as i personally dislike the album i agree it should be reissued for completions sake. There have got to be some stronger tracks in the vault. We will know the answer to that question by early 2017 hopefully.

  11. #111
    Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    I find the Eaten Alive set more annoying to the ears. i think Berry's falsetto and Diana's naturally nasal voice to be an ear-piercing combination. and the excess reverb and echo to diana vocals make it all the more exasperating. but again, these are all just opinions
    That's funny how people, fans, are compartmented in their opinion. As for "eaten alive", I'm with you. From the moment I heard the flip side "I'm watching you" , I thought something was wrong. This was so unreal ... I also thought that she could never sing so high live. In fact, I saw her in Paris, the month the record came, and she only performed material from Swept away.
    By the way, she also had trouble singing live Telephone and Swept away.

  12. #112
    Quote Originally Posted by Albator View Post
    That's funny how people, fans, are compartmented in their opinion. As for "eaten alive", I'm with you. From the moment I heard the flip side "I'm watching you" , I thought something was wrong. This was so unreal ... I also thought that she could never sing so high live. In fact, I saw her in Paris, the month the record came, and she only performed material from Swept away.
    By the way, she also had trouble singing live Telephone and Swept away.
    As you say it is each to their own. I personally liked much of EATEN ALIVE but i am a big Bee Gees fan from way back. Diana was also a fan and after turning down ISLANDS IN THE STREAM she realised her mistake and was determined to work with them, A proposed 2nd album never materialised even though both parties expressed an interest in working with each other. Barry Gibb told me that CHAIN REACTION is his all time favourite production on another artist.

  13. #113
    Quote Originally Posted by Albator View Post
    That's funny how people, fans, are compartmented in their opinion. As for "eaten alive", I'm with you. From the moment I heard the flip side "I'm watching you" , I thought something was wrong. This was so unreal ... I also thought that she could never sing so high live. In fact, I saw her in Paris, the month the record came, and she only performed material from Swept away.
    By the way, she also had trouble singing live Telephone and Swept away.
    I think Eaten Alive a so so album. Not terrific, but not bad. I do think "Crime Of Passion" should have been the first song on side two of the album. The lyrics to "I'm Watching You" are just so wet and not a way to kick off.
    I heard Diana sing "Telphone" in concert 85. She did a fantastic job, hitting all those high notes. It was one of the highlights of the evening and was mentioned in some of the reviews of the concert.

  14. #114
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    As you say it is each to their own. I personally liked much of EATEN ALIVE but i am a big Bee Gees fan from way back. Diana was also a fan and after turning down ISLANDS IN THE STREAM she realised her mistake and was determined to work with them, A proposed 2nd album never materialised even though both parties expressed an interest in working with each other. Barry Gibb told me that CHAIN REACTION is his all time favourite production on another artist.
    I like the Bee Gees to, but I'm not a fan. They wrote fantastic enduring hits during the seventies and the songs penned for Samantha Sang, Yvonne, Frankie Valli are equally great.

    From the eighties, I know most of their work for Streisand, Dionne Warwick, Kenny Roger and Barry.
    The Streisand LP was a total success, maybe it has more to do with Barbra than with the songs. The Dionne LP was the same vein, so if you prefer Dionne, you prefer Heartbreaker and if you prefer Barbra, you go with Guilty.
    But after those two, they lost the hit formula for Now Voyager and After Dark .

  15. #115
    Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    I think Eaten Alive a so so album. Not terrific, but not bad. I do think "Crime Of Passion" should have been the first song on side two of the album. The lyrics to "I'm Watching You" are just so wet and not a way to kick off.
    I heard Diana sing "Telphone" in concert 85. She did a fantastic job, hitting all those high notes. It was one of the highlights of the evening and was mentioned in some of the reviews of the concert.
    If you talk about the bootleg record, "Swept away" is slower and personally , I don't hear the same vocal pitch on her live "telephone"compared to the studio take. But it's good anyway, it's soulful . To bad she repeated the same verse twice.

  16. #116
    mpn1jco Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    I think Eaten Alive a so so album. Not terrific, but not bad. I do think "Crime Of Passion" should have been the first song on side two of the album. The lyrics to "I'm Watching You" are just so wet and not a way to kick off.
    I heard Diana sing "Telphone" in concert 85. She did a fantastic job, hitting all those high notes. It was one of the highlights of the evening and was mentioned in some of the reviews of the concert.
    Swept Away sounded horrible live, but I liked the way she worked the stage with the song.

    Eaten Alive is not a bad album. However, the engineering on the Eaten Alive album was atrocious. It features her worse vocalizing, and her voice is buried in the mix. The Bee Gees usually sing distinct background harmony on their productions ( Dionne, Streisand, Kenny Rogers ) . These vocals were present but not consistent on the Eaten Alive, and Diana certainly needed them to flesh out her featherweight, breathy and trembly vocals. With Whitney Houston breaking big at the time, and the inevitable comparisons raging - I didn't think it was wise for Diana to do a lot of whispering and 'aaahhs' all over an album. Red Hot Rhythm and Blues had Ross in fine voice and production.

  17. #117
    Discutions on this board are really great 😉

  18. #118
    I think with the last release of Baby Its Me , tracks were found that Diana had recorded with Bonnie Pointers former husband and producer , I think his name is Jeff Bowen.

  19. #119
    Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    I think with the last release of Baby Its Me , tracks were found that Diana had recorded with Bonnie Pointers former husband and producer , I think his name is Jeff Bowen.
    Hopefully they will surface on Ross78.

  20. #120
    mpn1jco Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Hopefully they will surface on Ross78.
    With Ross 78 expanded, A Go Go, and the final 4 Motown albums expanded coming in the next one to two years there will be much for Ross fans to look forward to. Most of the legends are not releasing new product and I do not expect Ross to make a final comeback.
    I would like to see Ross, out of nowhere, appear on the Tonight show and sing a medley of songs from shows currently playing on Broadway.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

[REMOVE ADS]

Ralph Terrana
MODERATOR

Welcome to Soulful Detroit! Kindly Consider Turning Off Your Ad BlockingX
Soulful Detroit is a free service that relies on revenue from ad display [regrettably] and donations. We notice that you are using an ad-blocking program that prevents us from earning revenue during your visit.
Ads are REMOVED for Members who donate to Soulful Detroit. [You must be logged in for ads to disappear]
DONATE HERE »
And have Ads removed.