[REMOVE ADS]

Cindy Birdsong's mic

Cindy was a Blubelle who became known as the Sweethearts of the Apollo for their passionate performances. Cindy became a Supreme and it is often commented on that her voice was often not heard very much especially in live performances. Why do you think? Certainly she knew how to throw it down having been a Blubelle and on a song line Stoned Love she sounded just wonderful.

By the time The Supremes had morphed into DRATS, Mary and Cindy were miked down until they were virtually inaudible in live performance. In a few places in the act you could hear them, just a bit, but the rest of the time it seemed they were little more than window dressing. It was all about Diane by then. I had seen the group the year before, in February of 1967, with Flo, and it was vastly different, so I was stunned and appalled when I saw them again [[twice) just a little over a year later, in August of 1968. It wasn't a group anymore — just a solo singer and, basically, two dancers behind her. It was then that the magic totally evaporated for me. The Supremes and DRATS were two entirely different acts, one of which I dearly loved and one to which I was totally indifferent. Cindy wasn't a belter and her voice wasn't as strong or distinctive as Flo's, but she was a perfectly adequate soprano. When she was with The Bluebelles, she was second soprano, with Sarah being the first and, according to Patti, often the two "doubled," and it was Sarah whom you would hear more prominently, but I don't think Cindy was miked down; Sarah just had more vocal power. Thus, their sound didn't change a lot when they downsized to a trio. Still, as a Supreme, she could have been utilized a lot more fully.

In this Bluebelles clip, Cindy shines, but not vocally. Being beautiful, she was a great asset to the group, as she was to DRATS. Patti and Sarah had the pipes, and Nona brought up the bottom notes wonderfully. Cindy just added that needed pizzazz, plus a sweet high voice, which was secondary.

Thi may be rue but when they did t farewell show on jan 14 birdongs vocalscould be heard loud and clear esecially on t hit medley and hey big spender love child and her solo on let the sunshine in

It was a mistake to lower the volume of Cindy and Mary's mic's during the late sixties. They sounded great when they sang with Jean Terrell.

Cindy's voice blended very well with other singers without overpowering anyone. If you listen to her first gig as a Supreme when she stood in for Flo at the Hollywood Bowl, Cindy is quite prominent through out the entire set. When listening to the actual footage [[not the soundtrack) from TCB Cindy is quite audible especially on the hits medley and on Symphony. Has anyone ever notice the distance between Cindy and the microphone? Mary is right on top of the mic whereas Cindy sort of stands back from the mic. Just my observation.

Cindy added the smooth second soprano that brought Nona's bottom and Sara's top together for a great blend.

Where can I find all of these performances [[i.e. The final performance, Hollywood bowl, etc) I don't know where I can find the video or audio!

Quote Originally Posted by imakicola View Post
    Where can I find all of these performances [[i.e. The final performance, Hollywood bowl, etc) I don't know where I can find the video or audio!
    Here's the Hollywood Bowl:

On the right after you click the link is the entire Farewell/Captured Live on Stage! playlist: https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...remes+farewell

Hopefully you can see/hear these; not sure if you're in the U.S.
    Last edited by sansradio; 08-09-2016 at 11:55 PM.