[REMOVE ADS]

Velvelettes Rarities

PICTURES
    In the booklet that accompanies The Velvelettes' "Anthology," there are three tiny, tiny pictures in COLOR on page 8: one is red, one black, and one is "live." I have searched the web to find large versions of these three great shots. Can anyone post large versions or direct me to a site where I might find them? Thanks in advance!

RARE TRACK
    I always felt that the The Velvelettes' recordings at Motorcity were that label's best work. I have played their album often over many years. There is one rare track, BETTER LATE THAN NEVER, that is not on the album! It has recently appeared on amazon.com as a MP3 download. Fellow fans and "completists" may be interested in this track! It is a good showcase for that "catch" in Cal's voice!
    Last edited by longtimefan; 08-10-2010 at 01:09 PM.

John Lester should know. Didn't he help the ladies with the selection of the photos? The live one may well be from the Motown Archives as it parallels [[though with different dresses) the photo on pg. 11 of the expanded 'Motown Sings Motown Treasures' [[credited there to the Motown Archives).

Thanks, pj1. I am looking froward to information from John Lester. A Velvelettes thread with no reply from John Lester? ...Impossible! :-)

Sorry Longtime but I didn't see this until Roger told me about it.

Do you mean the ones where the tracklistings are?

That live shot was going to be on pages 10 and 11. However, the ladies are now Cal, Bertha, Milly and Bertha and they would have been most upset if that shot of Cal, Sandy and Annette had appeared instead.

The three pictures are all from the Universal picture library. The other two were chosen because I thought you guys would want to see those kind of shots. To be honest, I was spoilt for choice; there are a huge number of Cal, Sandy and Annette photos, all of them glamour poses [[as Cal calls them) and it's a real shame that the scope for using them is limited. They are all in the library so I guess you need to ask [[or should I say, beg!!) Harry for a visit or larger sized copies......

I don't know that track...and thank you Longtime for telling me...I need to get it..and fast.

I don't know everything Velvelettes and I know Cal doesn't either! But I will ask her about that track.

You can listen to "Better Late Than Never" [[& buy it as a 'download') here .......
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Detroit-Fore...sr=8-1-catcorr

It's also on the cheap 'Sweet Soul Harmonies' 4 CD box set [[along with lots of other Motorcity stuff ......... see .......
    http://www.giftofsound.co.uk/do/product/CD_Soul/GSHV434

Look guys, before I find out more.....you might want to download it quick. Let's just say, I am already looking into something that is for sale and ought not be.

John..thanks...I know I have an email from you..but I am up to my eyes in it at the moment...I'll get back to you ASAP

Apparently the ladies were recorded at a venue a few years back

John

That second set has Edwin Starr and The Supremes...! What a combination...fab.

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  21.1 KB
    I expected "Better Late Than Never"to be the Jobete song written by Smokey in 1962, which recorded using Mickey McCullers. I was disappointed that it was not, but pleasantly surprised that it was a very nice song I had never heard, and recorded with a "cleaner sound" [[more old-fashioned, and Motowny) than most of The Motor City recordings I've heard.

Robb-K

I thought the same! LOL

Longtime

I just called Cal to talk about that one track. I spent a good while talking about everything under the sun but forgot to ask about that song. I'm real sorry.

But I can tell you all about her baby grandson though.....LOL

The Velvelettes' "Better Late Than Never" [[a Levine, Trench composition) first appeared on the Motorcity Various Artists compilation "Motorcity-A-Go-Go" [[MOTC CD 83) in 1992.

Most Levine compilations have 2 or 3 previously unreleased recordings, presumably aimed at completists. It's a nightmare[!] keeping track of them.

I got it now....if anyone wants a copy?