[REMOVE ADS]

Harvey holiday motown oldies show - wogl-fm philadelphia

I read the thread on the Contours recently where numerous discussions were made about Philadelphia oldies shows.

Back on May 3, 1993 [[23 years ago) I was working at the welfare office in Bucks County and had to spend several weeks there overnight. This gave me the great opportunity to listen to WOGL.. On May 3, 1993, I documented the entire catalog of songs that were played by Harvey Holiday on WOGL. During the 3 hour show he played 48 Motown songs. I just thought maybe some members might be interested in knowing what he played on his Motown Oldies show.

01. You Can't Hurry Love - DRS
    02. The Girl's All Right With Me - Temptations
    03. Take This Heart of Mine - Marvin Gaye
    04. Whole Lot of Shakin' In My Heart - Miracles
    05. All I Do - Stevie Wonder
    06. My Chereis Amour - Stevie Wonder
    07. Whisper You Love Me Boy - DRS
    08. It's the Same Old Song - Four Tops
    09. A Love Like Yours - Martha & Vandellas
    10. Heat Wave - Martha & Vandellas
    11. Strange I Know - Marvelettes
    12. Night Shift - Commodores
    13. Keep On Trucking - Eddie Kendricks
    14. One Who Really Loves You - Mary Wells
    15. This Old Heart of Mine - Tammi Terrell
    16. Jimmy Mack - Martha & Vandellas
    17. Third Finger Left Hand - Martha & Vandellas
    18. Baby Baby Don't Cry - SRM
    19. Little Bitty Pretty One - J5
    20. 25 Miles - Edwin Starr
    21. I'll Always Love You - Spinners
    22. Tell Her Love Has Felt The Need - Eddie Kendricks
    23. Signed Sealed Delivered I'm Yours - Stevie Wonder
    24. Without the One You Love - Four Tops
    25. Love Has Gone - Four Tops
    26. Everybody's Got To Pay Some Dues - SRM
    27. Take Me In Your Arms - Kim Weston
    28. Just My Imagination - Temptations
    29, Reach Out I'll Be There - Four Tops
    30. It Takes Two - Marvin and Kim
    31. I Gotta Know Right Now - Temptations
    32. Leaving Here - Eddie Holland
    33. Everybody Needs Love - Gladys Knight & Pips
    34. Castles In The Sand - Stevie Wonder
    35. Nathan Jones - Supremes
    36. Ain't Too Proud to Beg - Temptations
    37. You'll Love A Precious Love - Temptations
    38. I Don't Want to Lose You - Spinners
    39. We've Come Too Far To End It Now - SRM
    40. I'm the One You Need - SRM
    41. Save Me - SRM
    42. Love Me All The Way - Kim Weston
    43. I Heart It Through the Grapevine - Marvin Gaye
    44. Fingertips Part II - Little Stevie Wonder
    45. Firefly - Temptations
    46. Everything Is Good About You - Supremes
    47. McArthur Park - Four Tops
    48. The Bells - Originals

As I look over this list today, I am surprised that in several instances he played the same artist back to back. Not an everyday occurrence.

Hope you enjoy my reminiscing. It brings back great memories.

Was he the one that hosted Motown Mondays?

Indeed he was. I listened to is every week. He told little details as I recall about each of the songs.

What do you think of the selection?

Yep, there goes many of the "Philly Favorites" I remember Harvey and others playing. Woodward, where were you in Bucks County?

Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post
    Indeed he was. I listened to is every week. He told little details as I recall about each of the songs.

What do you think of the selection?
    I think the selection is really good because it does not focus on JUST the major hits, but is sprinkled with not-so-major hits too.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Yep, there goes many of the "Philly Favorites" I remember Harvey and others playing. Woodward, where were you in Bucks County?
    At the Bucks County Assistance Office on Street Road. Beautiful building.

Always loved Harvey's Motown show. He called me Motown Mikey after I met him at Pat's Music in Philly. I called in to make a couple of obscure requests, and he played them! Knock on My Door by The Marvelettes was one of them.

Harvey's theme song, while on WDAS, just popped into my head. Parts of it anyway! It had a girl group sound.
    And I seem to remember the song he played last before going off the air was GKATP "It's Time to Go Now", the flip of "I Heard It Through the Grapevine".

Quote Originally Posted by lockhartgary View Post
    Harvey's theme song, while on WDAS, just popped into my head. Parts of it anyway! It had a girl group sound.
    And I seem to remember the song he played last before going off the air was GKATP "It's Time to Go Now", the flip of "I Heard It Through the Grapevine".
    I remember that too!

Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post
    At the Bucks County Assistance Office on Street Road. Beautiful building.
    I lived in Montgomery County and Philadelphia County but covered Bucks County as a part of my job. Thanks.

Here Harvey is interviewing the legendary Jocko Henderson:

Harvey played Date With The Rain by Eddie Kendricks for me once. I think over the past thirty five years that Third Finger Left Hand may be the most played Martha & the Vandellas song in Philadelphia [[certainly the most requested). Is it extremely popular on oldies stations in other cities around the country?

Quote Originally Posted by JimBagley View Post
    Harvey played Date With The Rain by Eddie Kendricks for me once. I think over the past thirty five years that Third Finger Left Hand may be the most played Martha & the Vandellas song in Philadelphia [[certainly the most requested). Is it extremely popular on oldies stations in other cities around the country?

I remember them playing "Third Finger, Left Hand" every weekend back in the 80s.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I remember them playing "Third Finger, Left Hand" every weekend back in the 80s.
    I remember that too! Man, I miss those days!!

Quote Originally Posted by lockhartgary View Post
    I remember that too! Man, I miss those days!!
    The simple pleasures of life are the best.

Every other Wed night from Sept to June,at the South Philly Stringband Clubhouse,about 100-150 folks get together for a delicious Italian buffet and music from the 50s and 60s and a bit of 70s,mostly of doowop style but a good measure of Motown and Philly Soul during the breaks between live performances of acappella groups who do a wide range of live doowop and soul.Lots of Motown played.Live groups do a wwide range of stuff.One of the best is a group called Quiet Storm.Check them out on youtube.Phenomenal.We've also had members of several "oldies" groups stop in,some perform,some just relax and enjoy the atmosphere.$15 gets you in the door with a great Italian buffet thrown in.Many of the East's biggest collectors stop by to enjoy the atmosphere and exchange stories.Great atmosphere,great food,excellent music.parking is limited but usually not a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyKen View Post
    Every other Wed night from Sept to June,at the South Philly Stringband Clubhouse,about 100-150 folks get together for a delicious Italian buffet and music from the 50s and 60s and a bit of 70s,mostly of doowop style but a good measure of Motown and Philly Soul during the breaks between live performances of acappella groups who do a wide range of live doowop and soul.Lots of Motown played.Live groups do a wwide range of stuff.One of the best is a group called Quiet Storm.Check them out on youtube.Phenomenal.We've also had members of several "oldies" groups stop in,some perform,some just relax and enjoy the atmosphere.$15 gets you in the door with a great Italian buffet thrown in.Many of the East's biggest collectors stop by to enjoy the atmosphere and exchange stories.Great atmosphere,great food,excellent music.parking is limited but usually not a problem.
    Oh this sounds good. Thanks PhillyKen.